Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worst miscasting role

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Nicholas Cage in the remake of the Wicker man. A desperately bad remake made worse by Cage who was cast in a role that was totally unsuitable for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Christ, Live Die Repeat all because the American audience couldn't wrap their mind around Edge of Tomorrow

The former is the better name. Anyway that’s what it is called now on home release.

That said a spectacular bit of miscasting is Cruise in Interview with the Vampire.

The former is the better name. Anyway that’s what it is called now on home release.

It really isn't. It doesn't suit the tone of the film at all

Nicholas Cage in every movie he’s been in except Raising Arizona.

How dare you. You're on "the list" now. You've made a powerful enemy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

he was also good in Con Air, but yeah, a lot of his performances were wooden duds.

Nobelium wrote:
    he was also good in Con Air, but yeah, a lot of his performances were wooden duds.

How dare you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How can you imply he wasn't good in Face/Off

tumblr_lugc52TtAi1qznfdeo1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Henry Carvill: Superman

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Cushtie

xabi wrote: »
    Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.

Can't read the books now without seeing him. Didnt even watch the film as his casting ruined it for me. always had a Hugh Jackman type image of the character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Edge of tomorrow is fantastic. Cruise can be very good in the right role.

tusk wrote: »

Brilliant actor, but stereotyped into certain roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Cushtie

tusk wrote: »

Agreed that he is a fantastic actor. Just having read the books first his casting ruined it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Quandary

I think it was previously mentioned, but Daniel Craig as James Bond has never felt right. The movies themselves, including Craig, are mostly very entertaining but they have never felt like authentic Bond movies, and it's primarily because of Daniel Craig. He just doesn't have the natural air of sophistication needed to pull it off imo.

Also, Hathaways cat woman was horrendous.

Quandary wrote: »
    I think it was previously mentioned, but Daniel Craig as James Bond has never felt right. The movies themselves, including Craig, are mostly very entertaining but they have never felt like authentic Bond movies, and it's primarily because of Daniel Craig. He just doesn't have the natural air of sophistication needed to pull it off imo.

Agreed, Craig comes across more like a nightclub bouncer. Brosan was also out of depth in that role as well though. Difficult role to cast correctly.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

MfMan wrote: »
    This x 1,000. Throw in Di Caprio and Matt Damon for good measure.

Being more specific, I could never take Henry Fonda as bad guy Frank in Once Upon A Time In The West. A lifetime of playing upright, morally correct characters never seemed too far away from the surface.

Christ, I would love to see who you think is an average actor if Cruise, Di Caprio and Damon are all poor.

Cracked.com had a list this week of roles that should have been played by someone else. Most of them are actually incorrect in my opinion but as someone who absolutely loved the games Timothy Olyphant was completely wrong for Hitman. Granted, the film was garbage too.

Edit;

Link https://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_2550_19-roles-that-should-have-been-played-by-somebody-else/

It really isn't. It doesn't suit the tone of the film at all, it's light and inconsequential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Russell Crowe in Les Misérables - ruined the whole film as he can’t sing!

It really isn't. It doesn't suit the tone of the film at all, it's light and inconsequential.

You going to keep posting this until I agree?

Let’s all just agree to the main point. Cruise is often in good movies and he’s good in those movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

....... wrote: »
    That was a weird one.

And he sort of became, not bulked up, but leaned and ripped for it. He actually looked like someone who had a believable gym physique (as opposed to a Wolverine type physique). But Adrien Brody, in Predators? Just.....why?

Also badly cast in that film was Topher Grace (yer man out of That 70s Show).

I actually thought he was fine in that role, something different and much more believable than say the Dutch character (as great as he is).

The gravelly voice was a bit naff though.

Predators is a hugely underrated Predator flick and much MUCH better than the utter tripe that is The Predator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭amacca

MfMan wrote: »

I could never take Henry Fonda as bad guy Frank in Once Upon A Time In The West. A lifetime of playing upright, morally correct characters never seemed too far away from the surface.

I'd have to disagree with that. I though he was pitch perfect as an utter c u next Tuesday!

Then again I approached that one fresh without preconceptions etc (hadn't seen many of his previous films so didn't associate him with playing any particular type of character)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Al Pacino in Revoloution. Great actor in the right role but terribly miscast in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    Tom Hardy in Locke. I don’t know whether he was just terrible in the role or just the whole movie sucked. I cringed a few times when his character spoke about construction sites.

Have to disagree on this.

An excellent movie and in my opinion one of Hardys finest performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Not a movie but i'll throw it out there anyway!

Aiden Gillen as John Boy in Love/Hate.

Simply not believable as a hard man top dog Gangster boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RickBlaine

Meg Ryan as a US army helicopter pilot during the first Gulf war in Courage Under Fire.

Courage Under Fire doesn't seem to be discussed much anymore but it is a very compelling 90s military mystery/investigation thriller with an absolutely next level performance by Denzel Washington. It has themes of duty, honor and guilt. It also features a young Matt Damon in a supporting role who got dangerously thin for the part.

Meg Ryan's character plays a vital role but is woefully miscast. I don't mind that she was mostly known for romcoms until that point because plenty of actors are talented enough to make the jump to another genre. Melissa McCarthy in the recent Can You Ever Forgive Me springs to mind. But Meg Ryan simply wasn't very good. She is overacting massively with a stupid exaggerated southern drawl. I'm surprised the director didn't ask her to tone it down a few notches.

The movie is still worth a watch though especially for Denzel.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RickBlaine

Johnny Depp as Sweeney Todd. He apparently based his singing voice on David Bowie who would have been much better in that role because he's actually English, a fine actor and a top class singer.

You going to keep posting this until I agree?

Let’s all just agree to the main point. Cruise is often in good movies and he’s good in those movies.

More that it looks like my phone posted, while I was chatting to someone, but went back to the previous screen and I completed the sentence I was typing.
    I was wondering why you were getting snarky! Didn't cop the almost duplicate post til now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Not a movie but i'll throw it out there anyway!

Aiden Gillen as John Boy in Love/Hate.

Simply not believable as a hard man top dog Gangster boss.

I thought the same about John Sheehan. Too pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

brilou23 wrote: »
    Colin Farrell as Alexander the Great

1:15 into this clip. Brilliant. :D

• Advertisement

There’s actually no reason for Alexander not to be played with an Irish accent. He didn’t have an American accent either. Or a British one. Or whatever people think would be normal.

Advertisement