Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Travellers Taking over Carrickpherrish Road.

• 07-07-2019 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭

What's the story with those travellers taking over the entire road and sidewalks up Carrickpherrish road? They've even put a load of clothes lines hanging between the trees along the sidewalk. Multiple caravans on the sidewalks, dirty rubbish strewn all over the place. Another crowd (or maybe the same crowd) have put a big mobile home in there too.

Whoever thought that putting that crowd close to the likes of Genzyme, the Gaeilscoil, now close to West Pharma as well, was a good idea must be off their rocker.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Don’t be blaming the travellers for the rubbish. Everyone knows it was the Amish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Should have voted Peter Casey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Its scandalous. Beyond filthy. I'm sure the likes of West and Genzyme often send their US visitors for a nice stroll up by that filthy crowd......

The kids sometimes rock on down to the Gaeilscoil to throw a few stones I hear too. I cannot get my head around how they get away with what they get away with at all.

I must go out the front of my house and connect a few washing lines to my neighbours trees by the side of the road to hang my washing.....like hell....

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

And the Gardai will do FA about it,too busy at the moment to make sure the nightclubs are closed at 2am

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

There is no place really to home them that isn't affecting someone, be it a pub, a housing estate or a school. So as close as they are to Genzyme and West, they are still a decent distance away from them and as far as I know they haven't caused any issues with those places but I feel very sorry for anyone living nearby and the people dropping off and collecting kids from the school.

This might sound brutal and cynical but I suspect they are allowed to stay there because the nearby estates have a bit of a bad name to them anyway so the attitude is "sure what harm are a few more travellers?". That way the Guards wash their hands of them. If they were to set up somewhere on the Dunmore Road, you can be sure they would be moved on quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

Azatadine wrote: »
    Its scandalous. Beyond filthy. I'm sure the likes of West and Genzyme often send their US visitors for a nice stroll up by that filthy crowd......

That's the scam. They'll move on when someone pays them a few grand.

Only answer is to outlaw temporary dewellings outside of designated areas such as caravan parks or halting sites. Then seize and destroy a few dozen illegal caravans and they will quickly get the message. The liberal media will go ballistic but fortunately there are increasing signs that the political mood is changing so I'd be hopeful we'll finally see a solution to this scurge within a couple of elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

touts wrote: »
    That's the scam. They'll move on when someone pays them a few grand.

Only answer is to outlaw temporary dewellings outside of designated areas such as caravan parks or halting sites. Then seize and destroy a few dozen illegal caravans and they will quickly get the message. The liberal media will go ballistic but fortunately there are increasing signs that the political mood is changing so I'd be hopeful we'll finally see a solution to this scurge within a couple of elections.

This carry on is going on all over the country not just Waterford . They seem to be able to do what they want !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

aziz wrote: »
    And the Gardai will do FA about it,too busy at the moment to make sure the nightclubs are closed at 2am

The Gardai have seen how the courts deal with them, suspended sentences for lads with 50 plus convictions, so why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The Gardai have seen how the courts deal with them, suspended sentences for lads with 50 plus convictions, so why bother?

Travellers set up home next to Judge Head in The Clouds...then we would see change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

I frequent the library there sometimes and the youngsters cause a fair bit of hassle for the librarians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aaaaaaaahhhhhh

Whoever thought that putting that crowd close to the likes of Genzyme, the Gaeilscoil, now close to West Pharma as well, was a good idea must be off their rocker.

Its the Horses they own up there that I feel for TBH, and i'm no environmentalist.

Stupid kids(travelers or maybe not) kicking footballs at them, throwing stones at them etc etc etc. And the SPCA will do FA about that to.

They drive in and out of that hellhole without any due care and attention to anything else on the road as well. No indicators. Nothing. They own the road.....

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Shur ets dur culchur

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Lot of hate crime on here goys.

You should y'know engage in some meaningful dialogue to resolve the matter to all parties satisfaction....

.... says no one ever except right on lefties from affluent suburbs nowhere near a halting side, or some Pavee Point representative who should really be considered for the position of Donald Trumps Whitehouse press secretary.

Suck it up lads and lassies, or just give up and move out like I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

I feel sorry for the poor people who paid over €200k for a house in Mount Suir up on that road. Let down by the builder and ends up as a ghost estate and then to have that crowd placed on your doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Yeah I couldn't believe it over the last few months, my little lad is in Educate Together which is a brilliant school. Passing there regularly and seeing them sprawl all over the place up there is surreal. One had gone in opposite where the main site is but did get moved on after a few weeks.

The ones who went in and just put up a "chalet" in behind the walls at the back of that new housing estate take the biscuit. Imagine having bought a house there and turning up to find that hanging over your back wall?

I'm not exactly right wing on many subjects, but from a life of dealing with them, many of them, on a regular basis I see no benefit to them at all. They contribute nothing to society and would be first on the forced sterilization list if it was up to me!

Obviously that isn't the answer realistically either but its very hard to know how to bridge the gap and encourage them to become decent members of society. They procreate at an alarming rate and I can guarantee you that if they were to ever be in the majority in a country instead of an "ethnic minority" you could forget about them respecting your culture.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

I'm not exactly right wing on many subjects, but from a life of dealing with them, many of them, on a regular basis I see no benefit to them at all. They contribute nothing to society and would be first on the forced sterilization list if it was up to me!

The first thing is that their dole should be stopped. Not just them but anyone long term unemployed. Let them starve.

And no way should taxpayers be paying for their accommodation.

And our judges should be held to account for leniency (dismissal) against them or any of our other career criminals.

Apparently, there was something on the radio during the week about that monstrosity of a mobile home that they put in there at the back of someone's house. There is a court order pending on that. I wont hold my breath.

I suppose they can always move it out onto the sidewalk like the rest of the caravans that take up the sidewalk. Eventually they will just set them up on the road itself. They had burned out cars there a couple of weeks ago but I assume the council just takes them away?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

snip

I suppose they can always move it out onto the sidewalk like the rest of the caravans that take up the sidewalk. Eventually they will just set them up on the road itself. They had burned out cars there a couple of weeks ago but I assume the council just takes them away?

The word is footpaths in Ireland, although tgey are also sometimes referred to as pavements on this side of the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Should have voted Peter Casey

He's a fcuking scumbag
    The first thing is that their dole should be stopped. Not just them but anyone long term unemployed. Let them starve.

Yea that would solve it, ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Careful now, or we'll have John Connors on here moaning about how they are interpreted by the general public, and how they are misunderstood, prejudiced and how they are law abiding citizens, blahdidblah.

The blatant disregard with how they treat the thing site and environs tells it's own story. Dirty hellhole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Deiseen

If I lived up there I would refuse to pay my LPT until the situation is resolved.

Surely the residents have set up a group? Lobbied local/national politicians.

I feel really sorry for them as these guys are absolutely untouchable. Looks so bad for Waterford with where they are currently set up.

Deiseen wrote: »
    If I lived up there I would refuse to pay my LPT until the situation is resolved.

I feel really sorry for them as these guys are absolutely untouchable. Looks so bad for Waterford with where they are currently set up.

Yeah, it looks terrible for anybody entering via that side of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Deiseen wrote: »

I am hearing the same thing from people living in Kilkenny, of a halting site in town like a refugee camp, making the area look bad etc. It is not a Waterford problem it is a national problem.

I do think a harder stance needs to be taken with travellers. The local/national government need to stand up to them.

Always thought the Carrickpherrish Road was a ridiculous place to put a halting site. I mean building a new road to open up development land then putting a home for <snip> people in the middle of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Your right most of their money is from crime.

Husband and wife both not working plus 8 kids brings in 50k per annum in benefits .
    Add in a compensation claim annually your laughing .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

It’s like a war zone alright up there. Anytime I drop off to the school or activities on a weekEnd I have to ‘dodge the bullets’ almost. Constant harassment , threats and intimidation and that’s only from the 5/6 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

There is no place really to home them that isn't affecting someone, be it a pub, a housing estate or a school.

They could always buy their own land and fûck off.

Can anyone explain the concrete slab "walls" erected behind those new houses, which now house that huge mobile home? The slabs look brand new and are expensive, were they legally/illegally erected by the travellers? Or erected by the council?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

These are the people you need to tell about it.

http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/council/councillors/metropolitan/tramore-watcity-west/index.htm

Two of them living nearby.

Im sure someone here is good with words and could draft a letter that everyone could copy and paste and send to the good Councillors, who im sure are totally oblivious to the situation! They need informing.

Just an idea.

• Advertisement

The council were going to move a bunch of the dirty crowd into the unused bungalow down by the greenway a while back too but word got out beforehand and the refurbishment of the house for them was stopped due to a backlash from local residents around there. Rightly so! Imagine another bunch of them taking over the entrance to the greenway in Bilberry!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement