Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    The airlines get a feed of data from the US immigration to confirm lax have an ESTA to allow airlines to refuse at checkin.

yep - its was very much a "computer says no" scenario - no esta, no boarding pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭SB Morer

Aer Lingus website says that AerClub’s partnerships with Cathay Pacific and Qantas will both end on 30 June. There is nothing on the BA or United sections to say there will be any changes with regard to those airlines. Isn’t it a bit odd that an IAG airline would end partnerships with two One World airlines but keep their Avios earning with United?

https://www.aerlingus.com/aerclub/using-aerclub/collecting-avios/#/tab-0-in-the-air

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    yep - its was very much a "computer says no" scenario - no esta, no boarding pass.

Makes sense to stop you there I guess rather than having you go all the way through DAA security and US pre-clearance only to be turned away at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Have Aer Lingus dropped stand by for any flight to stand by for earlier flight only for advantage fare like the plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

Does anyone know if I can get into the BA lounge in O'hare with Silver traveling on EI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Yes but don't bother its a kip

Yes but don't bother its a kip

Really!! I always thought BA used the lounges as a selling point. If I can get in then I may as well as I have more than a few hours connection time there so at least if may be somewhere a little quieter to hang out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

T5@LHR business lounge for BA is an overcrowded dump ( and for the money !) , queue for the toilets and queue for seats at most times and no quiet at all , had the displeasure of being in there last week. The best thing about the business experience was the security fast track.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭SB Morer

trellheim wrote: »
    T5@LHR business lounge for BA is an overcrowded dump ( and for the money !) , queue for the toilets and queue for seats at most times and no quiet at all , had the displeasure of being in there last week. The best thing about the business experience was the security fast track.

BA has 3 lounges in T5 and they are not all overcrowded
    https://thepointsguy.co.uk/reviews/comprehensive-guide-lhr-t5-lounges/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Stark wrote: »
    Makes sense to stop you there I guess rather than having you go all the way through DAA security and US pre-clearance only to be turned away at that point.

I once rocked up in 2012 with an expired ESTA (d'oh moment) and got turned away at the desk. Managed to apply online from my phone there and then and got through. Dunno if it's that quick anymore, mind, but it was instant for me on the day thank goodness.

• Advertisement

Nijmegen wrote: »
    I once rocked up in 2012 with an expired ESTA (d'oh moment) and got turned away at the desk. Managed to apply online from my phone there and then and got through. Dunno if it's that quick anymore, mind, but it was instant for me on the day thank goodness.

I don't think you can do that anymore, I am sure I read that it has to be in place at least 24hrs before you travel. I am open to correction on this one!

72 hour min is recommended, instant approval has been removed for all applications. However in most cases the response comes back in minutes

In simple terms before you book a flight, check the passport and ESTA and renew before booking

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

I don't think you can do that anymore, I am sure I read that it has to be in place at least 24hrs before you travel. I am open to correction on this one!

per my post above I did it there and then in the airport and it approved after 2 hours.

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    per my post above I did it there and then in the airport and it approved after 2 hours.

Ahh you said that on the previous page and like most internet people I never left the page i was on.

I must have misread the article or something but great that you can do it so close to the flight. I guess if you don't go to the US very much it's easy to forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I've done the same - the bouncers at the Delta check in realised my ESTA had expired 2 days before and turned me away (big D'oh! moment) so I sat to the side with the laptop and applied for a new one, no problem. But recently I've never had them approved so quickly. Usually takes longer than you'd want to be sitting at the check-in queue for!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

SB Morer wrote: »
    BA has 3 lounges in T5 and they are not all overcrowded
    https://thepointsguy.co.uk/reviews/comprehensive-guide-lhr-t5-lounges/

Both business and the First lounge are generally pretty full. In them every other week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Could a bid be made to upgrade to business class on a booking made via an avios redemption?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Could a bid be made to upgrade to business class on a booking made via an avios redemption?

Don’t think you can even pay in full to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭isohon

Hi, hope this is the right place. I am one tier credit from being upgraded, but my year is to end in just a little over a week. Does anyone know if one can purchase a ticket and earn the credits, without having to actually take the flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭blackwhite

isohon wrote: »
    Hi, hope this is the right place. I am one tier credit from being upgraded, but my year is to end in just a little over a week. Does anyone know if one can purchase a ticket and earn the credits, without having to actually take the flight?

Have to fly to earn the credits.

Return trip to Kerry :pac:?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭isohon

blackwhite wrote: »
    Have to fly to earn the credits.

Return trip to Kerry :pac:?

Thanks, even if it wasn't the answer I was hoping for. Not sure about Kerry, may get somewhere in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

isohon wrote: »
    Thanks, even if it wasn't the answer I was hoping for. Not sure about Kerry, may get somewhere in though.

Always Donegal :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

You need a flight with a reasonably quick turn around to the following flight (not the return flight on the plane you flew over on, as you might not make it out and back through again, unless you do Kerry/Donegal maybe).

So possibly Manchester or Birmingham as you'd only have a few hours between the following flights, London would be too expensive.

Best option for an assured turnaround is AMS, walk off, walk on, no security, no passports, no hassle

Best option for an assured turnaround is AMS, walk off, walk on, no security, no passports, no hassle

Onto the same aircraft you landed on?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes. They still do crossing inbound and outbound and the plane will be leaving the same gate. Just sit down until they reopen boarding

L1011 wrote: »
    Yes. They still do crossing inbound and outbound and the plane will be leaving the same gate. Just sit down until they reopen boarding

Cheers - seems to be one of the few routes they do it on

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Are seats free with an Avios booking outside the 30 hour pre flight window?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Qprmeath wrote: »
    Are seats free with an Avios booking outside the 30 hour pre flight window?

Not but generally with Aer Lingus it is of no issue unless you really want to be close to the front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

thebiglad wrote: »
    Not but generally with Aer Lingus it is of no issue unless you really want to be close to the front.

You mean wait til the free window opens?

Advertisement