Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Wasn’t on my booking. Each time I rang I was told that isn’t an EI ref as it doesn’t start with 2. Then had to tell them to search the flight for my name, they then found it and were confused. I reckon they have had zero training on the process.

I booked it on Avios.com, got 2 emails. First one had hardly any useful info, the next email sent shortly after which came from aviosteam@avios.com was the 1 that had all the details. Subject of email starts with the words 'Your travel documentation for Avios booking ref..'.

Page 3 of the 5 page PDF file attached displayed what was called the Airline Booking Reference (which proves to be useless), the Airline Check-In Reference, the ticket number, and also confirmed 20KG baggage was included.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I booked it on Avios.com, got 2 emails. First one had hardly any useful info, the next email sent shortly after which came from aviosteam@avios.com was the 1 that had all the details. Subject of email starts with the words 'Your travel documentation for Avios booking ref..'.

Page 3 of the 5 page PDF file attached displayed what was called the Airline Booking Reference (which proves to be useless), the Airline Check-In Reference, the ticket number, and also confirmed 20KG baggage was included.

My airline check-in ref started with an N, maybe they have fixed it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

As most know, when getting tier points for AerClub, you only get half the points for "sale" or "promotional" fares.

"Sale or promotional fares in Saver economy will earn 50% of the Saver economy award (Fare classes A,Z,W,T within Europe)

Sale or promotional fares in Smart economy will earn 50% of the Smart economy award (Fare classes A,Z,W,T,O,R on transatlantic flights)"

All my bookings seem to be always A, Z etc.

When are Aer Lingus seats not sale or promotional?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

As most know, when getting tier points for AerClub, you only get half the points for "sale" or "promotional" fares.

"Sale or promotional fares in Saver economy will earn 50% of the Saver economy award (Fare classes A,Z,W,T within Europe)

Sale or promotional fares in Smart economy will earn 50% of the Smart economy award (Fare classes A,Z,W,T,O,R on transatlantic flights)"

When you pay 300 quid return seems to be the only ones I’ve seen.

I saw a 89 one way fare to London and it was a promo date apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    When you pay 300 quid return seems to be the only ones I’ve seen.

I saw a 89 one way fare to London and it was a promo date apparently

I have more points from a single business class trip that my Dad accumulated in a year flying back and forth to Malaga every other month. Unless you are paying full or flex fares, you may as well not bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I was over and back to CDG every second week for the past few years - generally seemed to be prices from c€80+ one way that attracted full tier credits. Anything below that was usually Saver credits.

I was on plus or flex fares quite a bit which eliminated the Saver factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

Have gone from silver to platinum 1st of July. Do they send you a replacement card or do you still keep the silver card. When I went from green to silver it only took about a week or 10 days to get my card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Is it true that whenever i want to claim avios for an airline i must open an account with that airline?

I flew vueling some months back and flying iberia again soon, do i need to open separate airline accounts with them 2 to claim? Seems ridiculous you can't use your aerclub avios membership to claim from all avios airlines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I am not sure whether necessary but maybe beneficial.

Flying to Mexico later this year (BA via LGW) I have a BA Executive Club membership and it is projecting I will earn 10,000+ avios for the flight - this flight cost me approx €1k which with Aer Lingus would earn me (Concierge Tier) under 5,000 avios.

Happy to claim the points in BA and transfer them to my Aer Lingus for that level of return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

thebiglad wrote: »
    I am not sure whether necessary but maybe beneficial.

Flying to Mexico later this year (BA via LGW) I have a BA Executive Club membership and it is projecting I will earn 10,000+ avios for the flight - this flight cost me approx €1k which with Aer Lingus would earn me (Concierge Tier) under 5,000 avios.

Happy to claim the points in BA and transfer them to my Aer Lingus for that level of return.

Aren't aer lingus tier upgrades based on tier credits which can only be earned by booking with aer lingus? I can understand avios but how will you get aer lingus credits flying with BA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭thebiglad

1123heavy wrote: »
    Aren't aer lingus tier upgrades based on tier credits which can only be earned by booking with aer lingus? I can understand avios but how will you get aer lingus credits flying with BA?

Yes, you'll only get the Tier Credits flying on Aer Lingus with an Aer Lingus ticket - fortunately I have all the credits I need for this year and so can fly BA - if I really needed the credits I would have flown via Miami with Aer Lingus.

Question was about the Avios element though. Relevance of mentioning my Tier level was that there is a multiplier applied to base Avios dependant on our tier level.

So, I was given 15 points each way for a European trip, but it was saver and had a Z code so I had figured it should be 7.5. Does this ever happen, or have I mistaken something?

By the way, which routes have the "AerSpace" option - I haven't seen it yet.

At Aer Lingus lounge the other day, I had forgotten my silver aerclub card, and used the virtual card on my app. I said to the lady that I had read that you needed the physical card, and she said "Not at all, it's even easier with the app, sure all we need is the details". However I see now on the AerClub page that "NOTE: Physical membership card must be presented to obtain membership benefits".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There was a double deal on DUB-LGW?

There was a double deal on DUB-LGW?

double avios points I believe (not tier credits). If you are referring to my question I wasn't going to London so that wasn't the reason I got the double tier points, perhaps they were feeling generous or just a mistake.

Anyone know with the 2 free European flights (excl. taxes) with the Aer Credit Card, would Aer Lingus give you AerClub Tier credits for these flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭SB Morer

Anyone know with the 2 free European flights (excl. taxes) with the Aer Credit Card, would Aer Lingus give you AerClub Tier credits for these flights?

T&Cs state ‘Free Fares will not count towards Tier Credits (as defined in the AerClub Terms and Conditions) or for Avios on the AerClub programme‘.

Its a good mistake, so say nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

double avios points I believe (not tier credits). If you are referring to my question I wasn't going to London so that wasn't the reason I got the double tier points, perhaps they were feeling generous or just a mistake.

If you read back through the 200 odd pages on this thread and multiple other sites you'll see that they don't make mistakes...

SB Morer wrote: »
    T&Cs state ‘Free Fares will not count towards Tier Credits (as defined in the AerClub Terms and Conditions) or for Avios on the AerClub programme‘.

Thanks had found the avios term but not the tier. Cheers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Just keep in mind that Aer Lingus Avios aren't "compatible" any more with Avios from other airlines, as they do not seem to be part of the "One World" group any more. I had that problem with Iberia, I was trying to add my EI Avios card to my booking but the system wouldn't recognise the card number, and when I rang them they said that the reason was that only "One World" airlines would be recognised.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The avios are entirely compatible - you can transfer between accounts. But EI don't have an earning relationship with Iberia.

New Home wrote: »
    Just keep in mind that Aer Lingus Avios aren't "compatible" any more with Avios from other airlines, as they do not seem to be part of the "One World" group any more. I had that problem with Iberia, I was trying to add my EI Avios card to my booking but the system wouldn't recognise the card number, and when I rang them they said that the reason was that only "One World" airlines would be recognised.

You need to earn your Avios via a BA Executive Club or Iberia Plus account when flying OneWorld, but you can easily transfer them to Aer Lingus once earned via Avios.com or vice versa

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭cloudhopper19

doesn't have an earning relationship with them "yet" exciting new additions coming to aerclub soon.

doesn't have an earning relationship with them "yet" exciting new additions coming to aerclub soon.

Really? When?! Any chance Aer Lingus would ever get on with becoming a OneWorld Connect member.

link?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Do you get Aerclub/Avios points for an Avios booking?

Qprmeath wrote: »
    Do you get Aerclub/Avios points for an Avios booking?

No. You don’t earn anything from spending Avios.

SB Morer wrote: »
    No. You don’t earn anything from spending Avios.

And even if you did the tickets are issued as BA 125 tickets so wouldn't qualify anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

I've just had 6000 Avios land on my account from flights taken in March 2017!
    They were BA operated codeshare flights.
    Don't give up hope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

If I use some of my Avios points to pay for my fare, does this affect the amount of Tier Credits I receive for the flight?

Advertisement