Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm or hot with thunderstorm potential Sun eve 23rd---->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭highdef

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Probably posted already but Frances all time record broken today
    43.5c
    That's 110F

All time June record or highest ever temperature in general? I thought the highest was 44.1c in 2003?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

For the record, the highest measured temperature in Europe was in Greece 1977 of 48C on July 10.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extremes/europe.php

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Ireland stood out well in the NASA Satellite Pic today

Cloud slow to clear in Kerry this morning but eventually did in the early afternoon to blue skies.

Still 20.2C here near Tralee

OTPhFLm.png?1

highdef wrote: »
    All time June record or highest ever temperature in general? I thought the highest was 44.1c in 2003?

That is right.
    Must have been for June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

It was 29c in Kenmare today I heard from multiple people there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

highdef wrote: »

Looks like June,though Schaffenaker on the BBC didn't say June,just the former

Temp is holding well here in the Arklow countryside 17.3c atm,not a breath of wind,air feels thick

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

A great evening for an outdoors drink. 11:18pm and 21.1°c still here in West Clare.

(20.6c at 11:42pm, still strangely warm)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

It's actually pretty windy in Cork at the moment. Howling in the chimney. Odd weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

It's actually pretty windy in Cork at the moment. Howling in the chimney. Odd weather.

My letterbox was flapping earlier, last time I heard that was during Ophelia! It's crazy wind!

Sherkin is showing quite significant gusts at 23:00

Gusts : 32kts (59kmh)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

So Shannon Airport reached 28.4c today... quite an anti-climactic figure considering 32.0c was achieved this time last year at the station but still a decent maximum temperature by Irish standards and not every year or June goes this high. Huge contrast to 10c maxima on the 4th/5th and 12th!

The most recent day to have a max. temperature somewhere in the Republic of Ireland at or above 28.0c was 4th July 2018 when Derrygreenagh achieved 29.3c. There were 9 days with such a max. in Ireland in 2018.

Recent June absolute maxima for the Republic of Ireland:

2019; 28.4c
    2018; 32.0c
    2017; 28.6c
    2016; 25.7c
    2015; 26.1c
    2014; 27.6c
    2013; 26.8c
    2012; 24.2c
    2011; 25.5c
    2010; 26.4c
    2009; 28.6c

Data from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Max of 26.4c here today. Heat build up from 11.00am and felt very warm by 6.00 pm. Even in shade there was little escape from the heat. This despite fairly brisk periods of wind from the sw especially in the late afternoon.

Edit: Interestingly humidity rose sharply in the late afternoon with a reading of 86% at 5.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Guys, is the wind thing just in Cork or nationally? Was 26c in much of the county today but loudest winds since Ophelia. Even now I can hear a howling wind even though I'm in an A rated house where you hear wind twice a year usually. Was the wind forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Still a fierce wind blowing southside of cork city (Douglas), can hear trees cracking and falling in the woods behind the housing estate.

Saw a tree come down in the marina at lunch time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

what is up with this wind in cork city???

Guys, is the wind thing just in Cork or nationally? Was 26c in much of the county today but loudest winds since Ophelia. Even now I can hear a howling wind even though I'm in an A rated house where you hear wind twice a year usually. Was the wind forecast?

It's very strange, leaves all over the backyard here as its been very windy all day, still very strong and howling down the chimney, a bit disappointing tbh.

Did I just hear thunder in Cork City? Long, low roll. Could be something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The breeze is back in South Laois.  Temperatures jumped almost 3c also. This is like Dec 2010 in reverse!!!

Did I just hear thunder in Cork City? Long, low roll. Could be something else.

Not me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

22c at 1am in Valentia lol

• Advertisement

That's warm. Around 18C here. Balmy night, not too humid though. Very pleasent. Could live with this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

OMINOUS looking sky this morning in West Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just been a short walk with the cats and a serious breeze still in progress after a noisy night. strong gusts .... cloudy and the pollen count is appalling. Hiding now with appropriate meds.

But lovely all the same.. it took a while to cool off last night.

west mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The lowest it got to overnight was only 18.8 °C.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Looks like it will be a reversal of fortunes for the east and the south west / west today. The east coast didnt get the unbroken sun till after lunchtime yesterday, today its looking good already whereas the west and south west have cloud cover according to the steaming satellite imagery. Rain returning tomorrow and temps dropping on Sunday it seems. Pleasant next week but not warm, compared to the weather in recent weeks i'll take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

reg114 wrote: »
    Looks like it will be a reversal of fortunes for the east and the south west / west today. The east coast didnt get the unbroken sun till after lunchtime yesterday, today its looking good already whereas the west and south west have cloud cover according to the steaming satellite imagery. Rain returning tomorrow and temps dropping on Sunday it seems. Pleasant next week but not warm, compared to the weather in recent weeks i'll take it.

Reversal? We've never had a day full of unbroken sunshine in the West during this spell, it's always been cloudy early on, not clearing until midday at earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Escobar19 wrote: »
    Werewolf mullarkey that keeps trending on Boards is?

Is there an English language version of this post I can access somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

Met Eireann still giving the midlands to hold dry tomorrow. Are these thunder showers predominantly to affect the east coast area. What's the view.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

reg114 wrote: »

I'm in the East (Arklow) and had unbroken sunshine dawn to dusk yesterday, what are you talking about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

aisling86 wrote: »
    My letterbox was flapping earlier, last time I heard that was during Ophelia! It's crazy wind!

I no longer have a flap on my letterbox and Ophelia missed us; i think it was Callum..

Advertisement