Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TII Motorway Service Areas (MSA) Progress Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,019 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The Cashel Mcdonald's has a drive Thru!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jd

Passengers could eat i guess?

As its offline, you also have locals who might fancy a smacs
    It's actually online. That doesn't sop locals. Anyway I prefer to have a drive-through. Drive up, get food, eat in car, rubbish in bin, go.. (with coffee in drinks holder)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Even if I wasn't eating and driving I'd always rather eat in the car parked up rather than go in so drive throughs are ideal. That said, I'm probably in the minority on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

None of the "official" TII service stations have drive-throughs as far as I'm aware. Presumably they want to stop people eating their burger and chips while driving with one hand down the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

To me the new Gorey one is much nicer then coynes , and I use both quite a bit, ionity chargers going in at present so 8 EV charging bays there too soon

• Advertisement

BoatMad wrote: »
    To me the new Gorey one is much nicer then coynes , and I use both quite a bit, ionity chargers going in at present so 8 EV charging bays there too soon

Definitely would rather go into it, haven't been in Coynes since. Far handier for a later stop when going to Wexford too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭blindsider

None of the "official" TII service stations have drive-throughs as far as I'm aware. Presumably they want to stop people eating their burger and chips while driving with one hand down the motorway.

M8 Cashel does....

https://motorwayservices.ie/Cashel#Facilities

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭blackwhite

blindsider wrote: »

That’s neither online, nor a TII official services site - which was the question asked.

Topaz (as they were at the time) managed to get a site, and planning permission, beside an exit.

That one barely had a car park until about a year ago so you'd have needed to eat driving along anyway.

As others have stated, that is not an official TII service area. Personally, I think it was a disgrace to give it planning permission given the lack of space etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭blindsider

blackwhite wrote: »
    That’s neither online, nor a TII official services site - which was the question asked.

Topaz (as they were at the time) managed to get a site, and planning permission, beside an exit.

Fair enough - wasn't aware of that. I know it's a pain to get to, but I thought it was 'on-line' as we (Ireland) define it....

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

blackwhite wrote: »

Fair enough - wasn't aware of that. I know it's a pain to get to, but I thought it was 'on-line' as we (Ireland) define it....

Thanks for the info.

Open to correction, here, but I think the official TII services have blue motorway signs, while the non-official services have brown signs.

Open to correction, here, but I think the official TII services have blue motorway signs, while the non-official services have brown signs.

On the signs thing, does that mean M8 J14 is offline then? I never realised it wasn't official.

On the signs thing, does that mean M8 J14 is offline then? I never realised it wasn't official.

Yes.

Offline means you leave the motorway at the junction and can re-enter, or continue your journey on non-MW road.

Online services are ones where you can only access from the MW, and can only leave by re-entering the MW.

The official, online service areas are listed at https://www.tii.ie/roads-tolling/operations-and-maintenance/motorway-service-areas/

At Moorepark, Fermoy? That's not official. If it's "bolted on" to a normal junction you can generally take it is not official.

Makes sense, hadn't thought of the layout at all. Cheers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Was in the spanking new Circke K Gorey service area on the M11. Very impressed. Very well laid out, open 24 hours, interior fitted out to a high standard, much superior to the Applegreen ones IMO.

McDonalds nearly finished and due to open later this week. I would say this will take a good chunk of business away from the offline Applegreen servicrs at Coynes Cross.

More like this one please!

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Was in the spanking new Circke K Gorey service area on the M11. Very impressed. Very well laid out, open 24 hours, interior fitted out to a high standard, much superior to the Applegreen ones IMO.

McDonalds nearly finished and due to open later this week. I would say this will take a good chunk of business away from the offline Applegreen servicrs at Coynes Cross.

More like this one please!

Definitely, there's not a better one in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.businessworld.ie/news/McDonald-s-brings-45-jobs-to-Gorey-572506.html

You must have missed the McDonald's opening by minutes! Opened today according to this article.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Where are we with Athlone and Kilcullen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

spacetweek wrote: »
    Where are we with Athlone and Kilcullen?

Fit out of Athlone is presently ongoing, target of August.
    Kilcullen is running a bit behind Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

TII should find out who Pat McDonagh is using for his plazas.
    They'd all be open by now if they used his contractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

flazio wrote: »

What makes you think TII isn't the problem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Same contractor, Killeen Civil

Will Circle K be operating the Kilcullen and Athone MSAs? If so, will they also partner with McDonalds at these new MSAs like Gorey, Carlow and Fermoy?

ongarboy wrote: »
    Will Circle K be operating the Kilcullen and Athone MSAs? If so, will they also partner with McDonalds at these new MSAs like Gorey, Carlow and Fermoy?

Both were part of the same tender process as Gorey, so should be similar offerings in place.

Carlow and Fermoy aren't MSAs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

tigerboon wrote: »

Same contractor, Killeen Civil
    Well then, his cheques must clear faster or something.
    With Athlone it's hard to see it being McDonald's as there's already a restaurant close by in the Kilmartin centre. I know Burger king is associated closely with Applegreen but I wouldn't say that rules them out of contention.

Well then, his cheques must clear faster or something.

With Athlone it's hard to see it being McDonald's as there's already a restaurant close by in the Kilmartin centre. I know Burger king is associated closely with Applegreen but I wouldn't say that rules them out of contention.

McDonalds are specified in the tender documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭serfboard

Is it not now almost a rule that if it's Applegreen it's Burger King, and if it's Circle K, it's McDonalds? I'd be interested in any examples that break this "rule".

It also explains why Supermacs went ahead and built their own!

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »
    Is it not now almost a rule that if it's Applegreen it's Burger King, and if it's Circle K, it's McDonalds? I'd be interested in any examples that break this "rule".

It also explains why Supermacs went ahead and built their own!

Maxol seem to be paired with Abrakebabra and Bagel Factory of late while Texaco pairs with Supermacs if I'm not mistaken?

Advertisement