Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Another Leinster Final,and another Delaney Cup.That's number 58 and with it being our 9th in a row,that sets a record for most provincial titles on the spin,I think ? How serious looking was Jamesy and P Small injuries ?

Apart from the miss goal chance in the end,Deano was superb when he came off the bench for Howard.

You'll never get tired of putting that lot back in there box :D

More drink Waheeeeey!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Another Leinster Final,and another Delaney Cup.That's number 58 and with it being our 9th in a row,that sets a record for most provincial titles on the spin,I think ? How serious looking was Jamesy and P Small injuries ?

Apart from the miss goal chance in the end,Deano was superb when he came off the bench for Howard.

You'll never get tired of putting that lot back in there box :D

More drink Waheeeeey!!

Had to watch it at home today unfortunately. From the TV replays I'd say McCarthy is gone for the season. Nobody near him and he went down holding his knee. That's usually the sign of a season ended unfortunately.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

JRant wrote: »
    Had to watch it at home today unfortunately. From the TV replays I'd say McCarthy is gone for the season. Nobody near him and he went down holding his knee. That's usually the sign of a season ended unfortunately.

Looked from the stand that they were testing for knee ligament damage. Did not look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Might as well have my 10,000 post to honor 9 in a row!

The class really showed in that second half especially in that weather. Some great points and very well taken goal by Con.

Hopefully the two injuries are not very serious.

Roll on the super 8s hope to god the weather improves. Going home soaked during summer is no fun! Ah well it was worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Why did the ref only stop play once the Meath attack finished?

Once ok, but it got old very quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,931 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes didn’t look great for him unfortunately. Wait to hear the deal on that but I am a bit nervous now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was hoping to keep that shower scoreless.... I suppose four will have to do.
    I enjoyed it anyway, there were nice patterns of play and they had to break down a Meath team, on a dirty day who were digging in the trenches.
    If Meath could finish or shoot it might have got slightly worrying.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,931 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What I absolutely love about this team...and it’s a fûcking huge credit to Jim Gavin, his coaching team and the players themselves...that in that last 10 minutes, that when the game was over, 15 points or whatever, the Dublin players are chasing back, putting in intense tackles, bodies still on the line, not for one millisecond allowing even a half easy score or even chance materialize, like there’d be some sort of embarrassment involved in Meath scoring 5 and 4 was 4 too many, super attitude and execution of a game plan.

Strumms wrote: »
    What I absolutely love about this team...and it’s a fûcking huge credit to Jim Gavin, his coaching team and the players themselves...that in that last 10 minutes, that when the game was over, 15 points or whatever, the Dublin players are chasing back, putting in intense tackles, bodies still on the line, not for one millisecond allowing even a half easy score or even chance materialize, like there’d be some sort of embarrassment involved in Meath scoring 5 and 4 was 4 too many, super attitude and execution of a game plan.

Exactly they are just non-stop thinking of angles and passes etc
    But the bit I am amazed with you never hear of any rows/splits in the camp/egos.
    For example it would have been easy for Rock to be sulky today
    But jayus he was great in his cameo.
    He really showed he wanted his place back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Don't know what to think of that game. It was brutal. Obviously conditions didn't help. Didn't seem to be much of an atmosphere, and from what I could see on telly there wasn't too many Meath supporters. Probably a few factors contributed to that.

They set up extremely defensively and made us work hard for our chances. Our forwards were kept pretty quiet I thought. Scully and Costello couldn't hold a ball. Rock did well when he came on. And hopefully McCarthys injury isn't as bad as well as think, but when you pull up like that it's generally not a good sign.

Meath kicked a lot of wides. We've loads to work on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭corny

Strumms wrote: »

True. I'd say its a high priority to never display weakness to the opposition in any game.

Meath had enough of the game to make that a real contest. Saw on the big screen that chances from play were almost equal. They won plenty of ball around the middle too. Their wides were horrendous though.

Cian O'Sullivan should have been MOTM. His attitude to the game is second to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

First game in 8's is against Roscommon is it not?

Nearly sure that Sunday Game graphic had it as against Cork/round 4 winner.

Kerry are definitely are home to Donegal. Interestingly PP has that as a pick 'em.

I'd fancy Donegal for that and shall wet my beak accordingly :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

No all provincial champions at home for first game in super 8s

naughtb4 wrote: »
    No all provincial champions at home for first game in super 8s

Right. I see that now. Bookies only have the games they know are taking place, which are Kerry/Donegal and Dubs/Rossies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

My sadness continues folks.

Our team that is on the brink of greatness is being derided by aspects of the media and the oul keyboard warrior crusade. My own experience today outside the pale:D was very poor. Apparently Dublin received 17 million euro in funding over the last year.:rolleyes: I've given up even trying to argue any BS point anymore. I'm sick and tired listening to ManU, Liverpool supporters etc. from other counties, being nastie fookers towards Dublin. I've given up trying to tell them that this game, no matter what, is Irish and Irish only and we should be proud to see a team like Dublin reach a potential historic marker within it.

Sorry for the negativity.

Grandeeod wrote: »

Our team that is on the brink of greatness is being derided by aspects of the media and the oul keyboard warrior crusade. My own experience today outside the pale:D was very poor. Apparently Dublin received 17 million euro in funding over the last year.:rolleyes: I've given up even trying to argue any BS point anymore. I'm sick and tired listening to ManU, Liverpool supporters etc. from other counties, being nastie fookers towards Dublin. I've given up trying to tell them that this game, no matter what, is Irish and Irish only and we should be proud to see a team like Dublin reach a potential historic marker within it.

It’s because the game was at Croke Park, actually no the bigger population, actually it’s the money...

All those things caused Meath to kick about 14 wides

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It’s because the game was at Croke Park, actually no the bigger population, actually it’s the money...

All those things caused Meath to kick about 14 wides

It was ONLY 12 wides...

If you think it is bad now.
    Just wait until the Dublin hurlers start putting it up to the 'traditional counties' regularly, then winning Liam McCarthy that is when the real fun will start.... :D

Oh and I always refer the misguided to two books -
    1. Gaaconomics by Michael Moyinhan

2. Dublin: The Chaos Years: How the Dubs Made a Mess of Things for So Long – and How They Turned It Around by Neil Cotter

Tell them to read those since they are so interested in Dublin and the finances of the GAA.
    It will surprise them.
    Shatters a lot of myths.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I was also really impressed with the tactical changes made by Gavin at halftime. We stopped playing long foot passes into the forwards as the ball was like a bar of soap and opened up meath with clever hand passing instead, which is way more forgiving to an incoming forward.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

If you think it is bad now.
    Just wait until the Dublin hurlers start putting it up to the 'traditional counties' regularly, then winning Liam McCarthy that is when the real fun will start.... :D

Oh and I always refer the misguided to two books -
    1. Gaaconomics by Michael Moyinhan

2. Dublin: The Chaos Years: How the Dubs Made a Mess of Things for So Long – and How They Turned It Around by Neil Cotter

Tell them to read those since they are so interested in Dublin and the finances of the GAA.
    It will surprise them.
    Shatters a lot of myths.

I've read both. Makes me even sadder when listening to the bitter types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭corny

I was also really impressed with the tactical changes made by Gavin at halftime. We stopped playing long foot passes into the forwards as the ball was like a bar of soap and opened up meath with clever hand passing instead, which is way more forgiving to an incoming forward.

Colm Parkinson was on about that on Twitter. He contends that its better to give Dublin the kick pass option because their efficiency goes up if they move it through the hands. I think the man is a sap but he might have a point.

I've read both. Makes me even sadder when listening to the bitter types.

Ah sure, the GAA would not be the GAA without the begrudgers. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Its fashionable don't you know.

Some might hope that Ewan MacKenna would be eaten by a Green Anaconda, but I doubt snakes eat other green eyed monsters.

Gavin Cummiskey is just as bad and needs to be tackled. But again whats the point. Even the rugger lads dont respect him.

Celebrate everything! No one gave a shít about the Dubs in the wilderness years when the fans were still propping up the numbers.

corny wrote: »
    Colm Parkinson was on about that on Twitter. He contends that its better to give Dublin the kick pass option because their efficiency goes up if they move it through the hands. I think the man is a sap but he might have a point.

Hand passing is more efficient because you are less likely to lose possession but it is the accuracy and use of kick pass that makes Dublin so formidable.

Watching the Ulster final today, it was Donegal's use of foot pass and speed of counter attack was key point in their hammering a very limited unimaginative team who might beat dull defensive teams but are light years away from the top of the tree,

Same applies to Woolie's own county.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,286 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Enjoyed the day out today in Croke Park, along with over 47,000 other people, the biggest crowd of the summer so far.

Lucky enough to be well under the stand and dry, but thought it was good entertainment. Some great effort from Meath in the first half, some great scoring from Dublin in the second half.

This is really only Meath's first year, you can see some elements of the Sean Boylan playbook being used, a year in Division 1 will see them do a lot better next year.

Onwards and upwards for the GOAT, 9 provincial championships in a row, on top of 4 All-Irelands tells you it all.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Enjoyed the day out today in Croke Park, along with over 47,000 other people, the biggest crowd of the summer so far.

Lucky enough to be well under the stand and dry, but thought it was good entertainment. Some great effort from Meath in the first half, some great scoring from Dublin in the second half.

This is really only Meath's first year, you can see some elements of the Sean Boylan playbook being used, a year in Division 1 will see them do a lot better next year.

Onwards and upwards for the GOAT, 9 provincial championships in a row, on top of 4 All-Irelands tells you it all.

I just watched the Sunday Game - Tomas O'Se said it was over an hour of his life he won't get back....

I found that gas because like you. I thought it was a decent enough game considering the conditions, and the gap in standard between the sides.
    It was about a 50 minute ish competitive game when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,286 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I just watched the Sunday Game - Tomas O'Se said it was over an hour of his life he won't get back....

I found that gas because like you are thought it was a decent enough game considering the conditions, and the gap in standard between the sides.
    It was about a 50 minute ish competitive game when you think about it.

Meath showed how to take on Dublin, go man-to-man, pressurise all the time, fight for every ball, show some Sean Boylan/Mickey Harte rotational fouling cynicism, they just weren't good enough up front to take their scores, and Dublin were just too good for them.

This Dublin are the GOAT, but they are not unbeatable. However, it seems that teams are now afraid to take them on. Maybe Kerry or Donegal will give them a game, but that will be an All-Ireland semi at the earliest.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Meath showed how to take on Dublin, go man-to-man, pressurise all the time, fight for every ball, show some Sean Boylan/Mickey Harte rotational fouling cynicism, they just weren't good enough up front to take their scores, and Dublin were just too good for them.

This Dublin are the GOAT, but they are not unbeatable. However, it seems that teams are now afraid to take them on. Maybe Kerry or Donegal will give them a game, but that will be an All-Ireland semi at the earliest.

Donegal seem to have a real swagger about them as well.
    I am starting to worry already about them.
    Kerry are all mouth and no b0llocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Donegal seem to have a real swagger about them as well.
    I am starting to worry already about them.
    Kerry are all mouth and no b0llocks.

...all fart and no shíte!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I think the weather had a huge part to play in how the game went down.

Players slipping all over the place simple passes going a stray balls being dropped. Meath looked very cautious in going forward almost reluctant at times. The amount of times they got towards the other end of the pitch and turned around.

Dublin are obviously much better on the ball but the weather clearly affected there game as well you could see they had to feel there way into the game.

If that penalty goes in you have a different first half that doesn't end up being as close as it seemed. In general though the rain made the first half what it was.

The second half Dublin adapted much better to the weather and pushed on. Meath went backwards even more so the more they missed the more Dublin pushed forward.

Dublin started to win a lot more the ball in the middle Macauly and Fenton especially Meath where long gone at that stage.

The key to the game was the better team adapted to the conditions and took advantage. Some of points Dublin kicked on a day like today where brilliant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement