Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Under 20 2019 6 Nations and World Championships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Flannery is a disgrace.

10M touch finds from penalties out on the fifteen.

Dropping up and under the second before he is about to get crucified in a tackle.

It's amateur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Impressive reffereing there, clearly accidental

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Heymans wrote: »
    Me take underage rugby less seriously? Never.

At my sons U7's games this season I ref the whole game from the sideline.

It's my attitude that breeds champions.

I would absolutely hate to be at your son's under 7s

If you can't inspire or get a better performance without berating a player you're doing it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

I would absolutely hate to be at your son's under 7s

If you can't inspire or get a better performance without berating a player you're doing it wrong

In your opinion. My methods require discipline from the player.

Nothing wrong with barking demands and getting the player to follow step.

Did you ever watch Ultimate Hell Week on RTE? Something similar.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

So you'll have a kid who'll be great and hate the sport

cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

You'd have to be quite a dose to roar from the sidelines at six year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Watters has really impressed me this tournament and perhaps one of the silver linnings of injuries is he has got his chance and shined brightly,

Really aggressive never give up type of player, deserves a contract of some sort

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭DonVito

Woosh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I sure hope the answer to this is No. Utter **** much like Flannery this tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Why do some people give oxygen to this rubbish?

Disappointing end to the tournament for the lads. But they were screwed over by injuries. Sometimes that just happens, crap luck though it may be. It doesn't change a lot of the very real positives we saw over the course of the last 4-5 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

The injuries before and during the tournament really hurt us - Penny, Hawkshaw, Moloney and Byrne would've made a massive difference. Not the end of the world, developing professionals is the aim of this tournament and quite a few lads got more minutes to showcase themselves than they would otherwise have gotten.

Thought Baird was our player of the tournament, and looks basically ready-made for senior rugby. If I had to guess a few lads from this crop that are most likely to have decent international careers, I'd go with: Harry Byrne, John Hodnett, Josh Whycherly, Ryan Baird and Stewart Moore. I reckon there will be a lot more who'll be great provincial players and get a couple of caps, and there's plenty who have the potential to be regular internationals, but I just have a few question marks over them right now.

Not sure how strong next years crops is supposed to be, but we could have a handy enough forward pack - McCann, Clarkson and Ahern really impressed me and Deeny looked ok. Not sold on McKee but at least he'll have experience at this level, as will Ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Cracking final here. Irishman McDonald with a lengthy kick to go ahead with just over 10 to play. Had the legs but slightly left.

He doesn't have a fraction of the passing ability of Casey but I've been impressed with how scrappy and smart he is. Obviously a big voice in the team. Used very well as a sweeper in defence where he bosses things and organises his side. Good kicker too.

I wonder if a province will be in touch.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,024 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Joseph is either very economical with his movements or he's bolloxed.... He's walking around the pitch and not making any effort to chase back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

This 'Les Bloo-aay' lark our of the commentator is really annoying me!

Jesus, if Australia lose by a point and go through the final 3/7 off the tee, they'll be utterly sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Buer wrote: »
    Jesus, if Australia lose by a point and go through the final 3/7 off the tee, they'll be utterly sick.

They must be sick. This was a very well prepared Australia U20s team, maybe one of the best they've had for some time and they kept NZ U20s scoreless in the Oceania Championship. So to lose as they did must be gut wrenching.
    I must say despite France being the defending champions I didn't see them winning the title this time. But fair play to them. They timed their run well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Well I was completely wrong, going into the knockout stages I thought France hadn't got anywhere near close to the level to win it and Australia were the clear favourites by a mile.

They must be absolutely devastated to miss out on it by that little a margin, given they've had probably their best u20 campaign in quite a long time, but it all comes down to the best performance on the pitch at a given time I suppose.

We've an incredible crop of locks coming through. Ryan, Baird, Ahern, Murray and Deeny (who didn't even make the squad) ...all deserving of academy deals.

I thought Turner had a fine tournament. Scrappy and intelligent. Probably not going to top level but can see him having a pro career. Our starting front row are all potential future test players. Each of them are excellent. Would have liked to have seen more of Ahern. Hopefully he gets a cap for Munster this season.

Casey is something of an engima. Wonderfully talented but his size kills him. He was physically dominated multiple times today. Led to turnovers and being caught in possession. The NZ try where the ref deemed the ball was out happened because we had no scrum half after he was manhandled at the previous ruck. I thought he was our best player in the 6N but I'm less convinced of his potential to be a senior international now.

All in all, an odd tournament. The results were poor but the promise is great. Really enthusiastic about Baird, Casey, Ryan, Clarkson, DTM, Hodnett and Wycherley without mentioning those who didn't travel due to injury. Solid pro careers at least ahead of most of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Are you the bad-guy coach from the Karate Kid remake?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

watching Baird today I couldn't figure out is his real position, he plays like a lock, backrow, winger and centre all rolled into one. will be interesting to see what Leinster do with him. probably end up in the front row

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The U-20's probably didn't get their just rewards this tournament. Suffered a really bad run of injuries. Very likely could have beaten Australia only for the red card in that game and would have been in the semis. Fantastic strength in depth in the squad but no doubt they were running on fumes by the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I was most impressed with Charlie Ryan. I think he really showed up all year, very consistent and a good leader. Turner and Wren look very capable also. Overall, the lads played some ballsy stuff. Mass injuries and some very poor luck.
    Next year could be another good one. Several lads returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

If Eir Sport cease to exist or are subsumed under Premier Sport after Sky/BT Sport arrangement kicks in as some are suggesting, TV viewers will likely have to depend on ITV's poor coverage (only highlights for pool stages) for next year's u20's tournament. Fortunately Youtube had all matches streamed live this tournament although I couldn't get the final live for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Buer wrote: »

Casey is something of an engima. Wonderfully talented but his size kills him. He was physically dominated multiple times today. Led to turnovers and being caught in possession. The NZ try where the ref deemed the ball was out happened because we had no scrum half after he was manhandled at the previous ruck. I thought he was our best player in the 6N but I'm less convinced of his potential to be a senior international now.

I'm not as big a fan as some here although I've only seen him this year but not sure that's entirely fair in relation to his size. Plenty of 6 foot guys get man handled. Generally when a 9 gets caught its because he made a bad decision, eg a snipe where he gets isolated.

He got scragged numerous times against the Baby Blacks and has gotten turned over a little too easy in the tournament.

His passing is just on another level though. I think he helped Healy & Flannery to look better then they actually are.

He's also got some electric footwork and tracks well.

He's in a good place in that there's very little legitimate long term competition across the provinces.

I'm not as big a fan as some here although I've only seen him this year but not sure that's entirely fair in relation to his size. Plenty of 6 foot guys get man handled. Generally when a 9 gets caught its because he made a bad decision, eg a snipe where he gets isolated.

He was getting caught and manhandled at the base. It wasn't a case of being turned over, more of not being able to shake off an opposition player when they got a hand on him which will happen in every game. It happened at least 4 or 5 times yesterday when he was hammered including the occasion it led to the second NZ try. A more physical 9 takes that and gets to ground to recycle or shakes off the player.

It's interesting how he's deployed in defence. Many modern scrumhalves are sweepers and play 5m behind the defensive line in phase play, plugging gaps, corner flagging and organising. Murray does it brilliantly. The Aussie 9, McDonald was very good at it. Casey is put out on the wing though which I assume is a tactic to limit his exposure.

I think his natural ability is excellent. The speed of his pass is a tad freakish and his running game is very strong too. But there are inherent issues in his game that will be hard to overcome.

I think he's the type of guy who is going to look world class when his pack give him clean ball on a conveyor belt but in a scrappy game where his pack is on the back foot, he'll struggle to influence the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Casey is a super passer. Surely the best 9 we have had at U20's for a few years?

Casey is a super passer. Surely the best 9 we have had at U20's for a few years?

I'd be surprised if there was a better passer we have ever had at U20 level. Stringer is the only one in his league, for me. At U20 level, McGrath was a terrible passer. Marmion was average at best. Conor Murray couldn't even get his game ahead of Matt Healy!

Shanahan was actually not too bad but that may be because he was replacing Luke McGrath who played passing roulette. Place your bets and see where the ball ends up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Injuries or no injuries this is unacceptable.
    Not sure if you are trolling but there are playing their 5th game of Rugby in three weeks.

• Advertisement

Niall Saunders was very impressive back in '16. But obviously health issues have set him back a lot.

Advertisement