Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Under 20 2019 6 Nations and World Championships

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

I watched the full South Africa - New Zealand game earlier today. Had planned to speed through it, but it was so entertaining that I ended up watching it all at normal speed. I was very impressed by the baby boks who physically dominated the kiwis and managed to win comfortably enough, despite losing three players to yellow cards during the game.

From what I've managed to see of the tournament, I expect the final to be between the two best teams, Australia and SA. And SA to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    You definitely are too soft and squeamish, ya big fairy girlpoofter.... Dammit. All the old traditional put downs aren't allowed any more. What can I use to insult you? HIPSTER!!! :D Yes I am a dinosaur.

Do you watch combat sports? Boxing, UFC etc. I ask because I know some people who can't stand those sports because of the violence and maybe rugby is heading that way in some people's eyes.

I think you might be on to something with the criminals. Maybe anyone convicted of anti-social behaviour could be used for tackling/ruck clearing practice by professional and semi-pro rugby teams.

Rugby is not a combat sport. I see players getting off very lightly for spear tackles. A deliberate spear tackle should see the culprit banned for life. This is the 21st century, not the Stone Age. It's quite enough that players risk serious injury or worse due to accidents. Thay shouldn't have to endure thuggery on top of that. And the rest of us shouldn't have to endure the lauding of it by armchair machos.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

I watched the full South Africa - New Zealand game earlier today. Had planned to speed through it, but it was so entertaining that I ended up watching it all at normal speed. I was very impressed by the baby boks who physically dominated the kiwis and managed to win comfortably enough, despite losing three players to yellow cards during the game.

From what I've managed to see of the tournament, I expect the final to be between the two best teams, Australia and SA. And SA to win.

NZ surprisingly poor this year

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Watch the first half of Bishops 1xv v Bosch from SA last weekend. Two Bosch fwds smash heads. Eventually both return to the fray and everyone cheers Inc commentators.... Ridiculous

https://youtu.be/uo32uDO2oUY

From 20:40

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It would be great to see a new generation of quality Springboks emerge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Buer wrote: »
    I can't see us beating England. We're down to the bare bones and some. England had a big result yesterday and will have some confidence from that. They're in far better shape than us and the fact that they played almost half the game with a man down was a factor in our first meeting.

I would imagine that the Irish squad will be absolutely shattered and have one foot on the plane by the time the final game comes along and I couldn't blame them. They went out there with an injury hit team....the situation now is just a bit of a joke.

Spine of the team still very much intact.

Our front 5, half backs and 13 have all played consistently this season

I also don't buy into that at all. The concept that they've "one foot on the plane" makes a complete mockery of their attitude

Spine of the team still very much intact.

Our front 5, half backs and 13 have all played consistently this season

I also don't buy into that at all. The concept that they've "one foot on the plane" makes a complete mockery of their attitude

Look at Ireland in the six nations. It's the flick of a light switch from fully motivated to being fairly switched off and I can see these lads being dejected, battered and about to face a team 5kg per person heavier.

I think unfortunately that this will be a rout.

If they do win it will reflect extremely positively on them as a group. The one thing going in their favour is that England are a bit all over the shop this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

This year's U20 campaign has been a huge success despite the heap of injuries suffered. There are at least 3 players from the team that I'm convinced will be test standard and about a dozen who will be regulars for their province. Compare that to last years side where Doris was the only standout and only 2 or 3 others looked like they had the potential to make it as regular pros.

Clegg wrote: »
    This year's U20 campaign has been a huge success despite the heap of injuries suffered. There are at least 3 players from the team that I'm convinced will be test standard and about a dozen who will be regulars for their province. Compare that to last years side where Doris was the only standout and only 2 or 3 others looked like they had the potential to make it as regular pros.

Which in my eyes will make it more successful than the 2016 team.

Outside of Stockdale, Ryan and Porter there aren't too many other provincial regulars. Deegan is about the most regular I can think of off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

bilston wrote: »

Outside of Stockdale, Ryan and Porter there aren't too many other provincial regulars. Deegan is about the most regular I can think of off the top of my head.

It’s a bit too early to write off the rest of the 2016 squad, the likes of Gallagher and Conor O’Brien are on the cusp of a breakthrough and there’s plenty more who still have potential. 21 of the 28 man JRWC squad are still playing pro rugby which is very good going IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Wouldn't even consider Deegan a 'regular' at this stage, compared to the others. Other players in that squad were Abdaladze, Conor O'Brien, McPhilips, McBurney, Johnston.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

I'd be taking a couple of world class players over a handful of provincial regulars every year. Not sure we'll see the likes of 2016 very often. The immediacy of their impact was unheard of, even compared to the famed 2007 group. As full of potential this years crop is overall, Baird is the only one that I'd stick my neck out on and say with confidence will be a regular test starter.

baas baa wrote: »
    I'd be taking a couple of world class players over a handful of provincial regulars every year. Not sure we'll see the likes of 2016 very often. The immediacy of their impact was unheard of, even compared to the famed 2007 group. As full of potential this years crop is overall, Baird is the only one that I'd stick my neck out on and say with confidence will be a regular test starter.

It's true no one has stood out like Stockdale and Ryan did. But then some of the best players haven't had the opportunity because of injury. Penny, Hawkshaw and Byrne didn't even make the world cup, Moore and French both went home early, Casey has had his injury problems too. Any one of those guys could make it at test level IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Blackheath

Has Brian Deeny been called to the U20's squad as his name is listed on the World Rugby website as being in the Ireland squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

It's true no one has stood out like Stockdale and Ryan did. But then some of the best players haven't had the opportunity because of injury. Penny, Hawkshaw and Byrne didn't even make the world cup, Moore and French both went home early, Casey has had his injury problems too. Any one of those guys could make it at test level IMO.

There's a lot of players that could make it at test level but with Ryan, Stockdale and Porter you felt it was inevitable given their size and athleticism. Casey, Byrne, Penny and Hawkshaw have been the most impressive but 3 of the 4 are untypical sizes for their position in test rugby and I think it's harder to predict the development of a 10 unless they're exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

baas baa wrote: »
    There's a lot of players that could make it at test level but with Ryan, Stockdale and Porter you felt it was inevitable given their size and athleticism. Casey, Byrne, Penny and Hawkshaw have been the most impressive but 3 of the 4 are untypical sizes for their position in test rugby and I think it's harder to predict the development of a 10 unless they're exceptional.

The hawkshaw hype train is getting a bit carried away he played what 2 games and was poor v England in the opener, no guarantee that he’s better than Moore either. No doubt he’s a great talent but hardly one of the most impressive u20s this year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The 16 squad was very deep. Keenan, J.OB and C.O.B all earned pro contracts. Greg Jones is on contract at Ulster. Connors is just come back from a serious injury and I think he's going to be a very good player.
    Shane Daly is also one to watch at Munster. Gallagher, if he stays healthy could be a top level player. Kerins just signed a deal and although I thought he would have been featured more prominently, he's still got a chance.
    Unfortunately, Claffey has had a mare with injuries and he may not get a chance.
    Betts is still toiling away in England and Kelvin Browne walked away from a contract in France. That's a lot of talent from that squad.
    Funnily enough, last years team appeared to be good individually. but they didn't mesh as a team. I think the coaching may have been a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Dubinusa wrote: »
    The 16 squad was very deep. Keenan, J.OB and C.O.B all earned pro contracts. Greg Jones is on contract at Ulster. Connors is just come back from a serious injury and I think he's going to be a very good player.
    Shane Daly is also one to watch at Munster. Gallagher, if he stays healthy could be a top level player. Kerins just signed a deal and although I thought he would have been featured more prominently, he's still got a chance.
    Unfortunately, Claffey has had a mare with injuries and he may not get a chance.
    Betts is still toiling away in England and Kelvin Browne walked away from a contract in France. That's a lot of talent from that squad.
    Funnily enough, last years team appeared to be good individually. but they didn't mesh as a team. I think the coaching may have been a factor.

Conor Kenny is on a senior contract now too. Sean O'Connor is on a dev deal. Conan O'Donnell is starting in Super Rugby. Hugo Keenan definitely has a future in either 15s or 7s. Terry Kennedy looks to have a great career ahead in 7s. Rob Lyttle is close to breaking the Ulster first XV. Niall Saunders is back at Harlequins after retiring due to illness. Sam Arnold is a solid pro.

It was actually an absurdly deep year looking back.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Lucas44 wrote: »
    The hawkshaw hype train is getting a bit carried away he played what 2 games and was poor v England in the opener, no guarantee that he’s better than Moore either. No doubt he’s a great talent but hardly one of the most impressive u20s this year

Nah. Hawkshaw looks like he has a real touch of class about him. Injuries have ruined his season so I don't know how you can judge him for this year's performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Faugheen wrote: »
    Nah. Hawkshaw looks like he has a real touch of class about him. Injuries have ruined his season so I don't know how you can judge him for this year's performances.

Do you think he is big enough?

• Advertisement

He’s a phenomenal schoolboy player and underage no doubt but isn’t a standout based on this years 20s, let’s be real he’s probably too small for 12 and doesn’t at this moment posses a good enough kicking game to be a 10 but hopefully he’ll kick on in the ail and for leinster. Can’t judge off underage rugby

He’s a phenomenal schoolboy player and underage no doubt but isn’t a standout based on this years 20s, let’s be real he’s probably too small for 12 and doesn’t at this moment posses a good enough kicking game to be a 10 but hopefully he’ll kick on in the ail and for leinster. Can’t judge off underage rugby

Tomorrow's eir sports TV schedule:-

14.20 ABs V Wales <or> Jocks V Italy

16.50 Pumas V Australia <or> Georgia V Fiji

19.00 Ireland V England (ko 19.30) <or> SA V France

U20 team named for tomorrow

15 Flannery
    14 O'Sullivan
    13 Turner
    12 Ryan
    11 Wren
    10 Healy
    9 Casey
    1 Milne
    2 Tierney Martin
    3 Ward
    4 Ryan
    5 Ahern
    6 Baird
    7 Watters
    8 Allison

Bench
    16 Adamson
    17 Wycherley
    18 Clarkson
    19 McKee
    20 Deeney
    21 Murray
    22 Clohessy
    23 Russell
    25 Reilly
    26 Foley
    27 Kernohan
    28 O'Reilly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Tough ask for this squad to beat that England team, thats a pretty much fully loaded English team and a injury destroyed Irish team.

Still baffled with the difference in players injured in the squads..

Massive power outage across all of Argentina and Uruguay yesterday. Hopefully, the lads' devices weren't too badly affected!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-48652686

More importantly, I hope it won't happen again today as the filming and transmission of the games might be affected! Just imagine being a TMO stuck in a dark box without any pictures to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Blackheath wrote: »
    U20 team named for tomorrow

15 Flannery
    14 O'Sullivan
    13 Turner
    12 Ryan
    11 Wren
    10 Healy
    9 Casey
    1 Milne
    2 Tierney Martin
    3 Ward
    4 Ryan
    5 Ahern
    6 Baird
    7 Watters
    8 Allison

Thankfully he's gone with Healy at flyhalf this time. Can't really excuse the coaching decision of not selecting him for the Aus game after the impact he had V.s England. Flannery can't kick the ball with distance. Also selection questions over that Welsh fullback who seemed totally out of his depth Vs. England. Thankfully he got injured and wasn't selected again. Total liability at fullback.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I don't expect a win 2day. The forced changes are a step too far, imo.
    All in all a serious squad this year and if everyone was healthy, I think we would have been a top 3 side.
    The lads eligible next season are getting a good run. It should be helpful next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Number 137

England XV to face Ireland.

3 personnel changes and 1 positional change in their forwards.
    2 personnel changes in their backs.

1. Kai Owen - 6'1 - 113kg
    2. Will Capon - 5'11 - 105kg
    3. Joe Heyes - 6'3 - 127kg
    4. Joel Kpoku - 6'5 - 126kg
    5. Alex Coles - 6'6 - 113kg
    6. Richard Capstick - 6'4 - 104kg
    7. Aaron Hinkley - 6'0 - 96kg
    8. Ted Hill - 6'5 - 110kg
    9. Sam Maunder - 5'11 - 84kg
    10. Manu Vunipola - 6'0 - 91kg
    11. Josh Hodge - 6'0 - 82kg