Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Under 20 2019 6 Nations and World Championships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Going to the TMO which has meant a guaranteed yellow so far....

The referee is making every effort to avoid a red here. The contact of the left forearm was directly to the head. There really needs to be a clearer directive on these scenarios in terms of mitigation.

The TMO obviously disagreed but neither want to make a decision.

Won't make a difference anyway given the time on the clock (assuming it doesn't go to extra time).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Have to say, I really like the way the ref is handling it all. Breaks down each decision, takes into account the mitigating factors, and isn't jumping straight to an initial decision.

How on earth was that legal disruption of the maul by England? Their blindside had walked right around. Could be a key moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I forgot about this, England wearing black looks weird

• Advertisement

England will get a penalty off this scrum and that will be that.

The scrum will suit England. Creates a handy offside line and gives them a drop goal attempt from the 22m line if they want it with about 30 seconds on the clock.

Fair play to England to go through 25 phases though in these conditions.

Poor defence when England moved it off the scrum. We were never going to keep them out from there.

Will have to see that maul again as it looked for all the world like an offside English player led to the ball being spilled.

Still we did a lot better than I thought we would and dug deep when it looked like a beating was on the cards.

I'm sure the lads will be disappointed to lose it at the end with the extra man advantage after scoring two tries to bring it even, but that was an absolute slog of a game considering the conditions and the number of players out due to injury. A performance they should be really proud of, and in fact a really good showing in the tournament overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Play like that on Saturday and there's every chance that we'll beat a poor All Blacks team - hopefully by a good margin.

That would mean finishing 7th, which isn't too bad given our massive injury problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Play like that on Saturday and there's every chance that we'll beat a poor All Blacks team - hopefully by a good margin.

That would mean finishing 7th, which isn't too bad given our massive injury problems.
    Thats very optimistic.
    NZ will have their worst finishing position in tournament regardless of the result of the game but its still NZ.
    We've big number of injuries...

Argentina/South Africa/Italy/Georgia is confirmed as a group for next years tournament. Other two groups depend on the results on final day.

Winner Final/Loser Wales and England/Winner us New Zealand
    runner up/winner wales england/loser us and NZ/winner fiji scotland

Thats very optimistic.
    NZ will have their worst finishing position in tournament regardless of the result of the game but its still NZ.
    We've big number of injuries...

I'd prefer to call it realistic. I watched the Welsh beat them today (albeit courtesy of a last minute penalty) and they were pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

I'd prefer to call it realistic. I watched the Welsh beat them today (albeit courtesy of a last minute penalty) and they were pretty poor.

Agreed. I turned it off as they were so poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Reckon Ireland U20 will comfortably defeat NZ U20.

The NZ coach might have been my English teacher, but he won’t be handing out any lessons any time soon. In fact he might find himself schooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ryan Baird has been a real positive this tournament. In the Six Nations he looked like a good impact sub, but now he's a full 80 minute player. Makes great contributions around the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Clegg wrote: »
    Ryan Baird has been a real positive this tournament. In the Six Nations he looked like a good impact sub, but now he's a full 80 minute player. Makes great contributions around the pitch.

Do you think he has the potential to step up and push for a Leinster starting spot next year. Toner and the Leinsters other options are not getting any younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Waternut wrote: »
    Do you think he has the potential to step up and push for a Leinster starting spot next year. Toner and the Leinsters other options are not getting any younger.

Toner has a few more years and obviously Fardy won’t be around much longer but all Leinsters other options are young, Baird will be in the mix though as he does look good.

Toner's only turning 33, and the other starting lock is James Ryan. I think Baird's a couple years (barring injury) off a starting spot in the Leinster team.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

He will be Dev's replacement but not just yet, He has had a bad run with injuries & if he gets himself right he has a huge future ahead of him. I reckon he will be eased into the Pro 14 this season and expect him to get 5-8 caps for the Seniors this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Reckon Ireland U20 will comfortably defeat NZ U20.

The NZ coach might have been my English teacher, but he won’t be handing out any lessons any time soon. In fact he might find himself schooled.

Think the amount of injuries shipped by Ireland will be too much, full strength Ireland absolutely

Toner's only turning 33, and the other starting lock is James Ryan. I think Baird's a couple years (barring injury) off a starting spot in the Leinster team.

couple years or a couple injuries, game is so attritional he could be in the engine room sooner rather than later, but ideally with no injuries a couple years i reckon

Seeing the final of Australia and France stings as Ireland are well capable of beating both

were their anymore injuries in the England Ireland game?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Charlie Ryan is phenomenal too. Leinster look stacked in the 2nd row for the near future.
    There's also Jack Dunne. He's a fantastic prospect. Oisin Dowling is also in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I think Charlie Ryan is phenomenal too. Leinster look stacked in the 2nd row for the near future.
    There's also Jack Dunne. He's a fantastic prospect. Oisin Dowling is also in the mix.

Leinster won't be able to keep all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

They can swap one for Ben Healy. :D

Seeing the final of Australia and France stings as Ireland are well capable of beating both

The two best teams in the tournament for me.

Having earlier predicted that SA would play Aus in the the final, I was very impressed with the way that the French handled the baby boks yesterday - it's incredible to think that Jordan Joseph will still be eligible to play in next year's tournament - he's some player.

I think Charlie Ryan is really flying under the radar relative to the likes of Baird. I thought he had a fantastic tournament, a really gritty and efficient performer who has done a solid job throughout. He doesn't have the dynamism of someone like Baird but he has a great engine and reminds me a little of someone like Leo Cullen.

It's unusual for someone of his profile not to already be in the academy. He's a 2 year member of the U20 squad which is fairly good company straight away as well as captaining the side to the Grand Slam title and at the JWC.

With Dunne, Dowling, Baird, Ryan and Molony all being present at Leinster for years to come and opporunities potentially being limited, I'd expect that the other provinces are already in touch with Charlie Ryan. Munster would be a very interesting option for him if they made an approach, I'd have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Buer wrote: »
    I think Charlie Ryan is really flying under the radar relative to the likes of Baird. I thought he had a fantastic tournament, a really gritty and efficient performer who has done a solid job throughout. He doesn't have the dynamism of someone like Baird but he has a great engine and reminds me a little of someone like Leo Cullen.

It's unusual for someone of his profile not to already be in the academy. He's a 2 year member of the U20 squad which is fairly good company straight away as well as captaining the side to the Grand Slam title and at the JWC.

With Dunne, Dowling, Baird, Ryan and Molony all being present at Leinster for years to come and opporunities potentially being limited, I'd expect that the other provinces are already in touch with Charlie Ryan. Munster would be a very interesting option for him if they made an approach, I'd have thought.

Baird and Ryan both very different seconds rows I feel. Baird trumps in the athletic and physical stakes but Ryan a very rounded player. Especially impressive given his age. Very good set piece operator and around the park.

For the next few years I think there is room for them at Leinster.

Oisin Dowling will be first for the chop I feel. Will happily change my song if proved wrong but I feel he offers the least of the second row options at the moment. Smaller than all the other options at lock being a (generous) 6'5"

With Fardy gone after next season and Ryan and Dev playing less than 20 games between them next season there is huge game time for our options there next season.

Advertisement