Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

Here we go wrote: »
    The stopping at bus stops may stop soon there's been issues with that out in Newcastle Garda have warned drivers of stopping at a stop on a road with a single white line 8 drivers I know of have been stopped and told if it happens again they'll get a ticket apparently management knows (according to the gaurd ) but has not told drivers about it yet or advised drivers not to continue the practice

I had a issue with this guard last week..I told him where to go because he said the bus shouldn't stop at the stop because cars had to over take on the white line..but when I pointed to him that there are cars parked on the road and you have to overtake them so what is difference and said what you going to do about that he got back into his jeep apparently he had the same issue with DB oh I got his badge number and hasn't hassled me since ��

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

Apparently at least 16 drivers didn't show up today. On another note I'm told bus eireann have there driving assesments today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Apparently at least 16 drivers didn't show up today. On another note I'm told bus eireann have there driving assesments today

And you don't think there's days when DB or BE struggle to get drivers. Look at the service being provided by BE on the Navan corridor with regular staffing issues buses being cancelled and BE services replaced with hire ins. Staffing issues appear to be a problem with all public transport operators and not just in Ireland.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Stephen15 wrote: »
    And you don't think there's days when DB or BE struggle to get drivers. Look at the service being provided by BE on the Navan corridor with regular staffing issues buses being cancelled and BE services replaced with hire ins.

It's very rare a day goes past when there isn't an article on the BE website talking about service disruption in the eastern region and services being cancelled although today it's outside their control.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Yeah thats why they are hiring all the Go ahead lads:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

30 yesterday it was the Dublin bus assessment on

ax586 wrote: »

Have they managed to replace all the drivers that left so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Vast improvement on yesterday, so.
    Stephen15 wrote:
    Have they managed to replace all the drivers that left so far?

Nope, not even close. And even if they did somehow manage to, they'll be losing a lot more in the coming weeks. It's the passengers I feel sorry for. They think things are bad now...

Nope, not even close. And even if they did somehow manage to, they'll be losing a lot more in the coming weeks. It's the passengers I feel sorry for. They think things are bad now...

DB must be struggling to get drivers aswell their recruitment was orginally meant to end in at the end of January then it got extended until the end of March now it's running until the end of June. There must be a shortage of bus drivers across all operators Aircoach for example had to start accepting car licence holders and training them up for the first time and so did Dualway I believe. I wonder are they not getting suitable applicants or is it a lack of people applying?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

DB must be struggling to get drivers aswell their recruitment was orginally meant to end in at the end of January then it got extended until the end of March now it's running until the end of June. There must be a shortage of bus drivers across all operators Aircoach for example had to start accepting car licence holders and training them up for the first time and so did Dualway I believe. I wonder are they not getting suitable applicants or is it a lack of people applying?

Both.

db would even have turned down quite a few even with experience as they would be found to be quite poor.

• Advertisement

Both.

db would even have turned down quite a few even with experience as they would be found to be quite poor.

Surely if they are struggling to get drivers they'd take what they can get.

Safety is a big thing which in all the bad I will say about the place it is one thing they take seriously...

ax586 wrote: »

16 at 6 am this morning no idea how much it grew after that

Safety is a big thing which in all the bad I will say about the place it is one thing they take seriously...

If they are going to be expanding their services then they'll probably have to except that they may have to lower their high standards. I've been on GAI buses a number of times I can't say there's any noticeable difference in the driving standards. I was actually on a DB bus recently that was involved in an accident albeit minor but it was due to driver error.

If it's good enough for the privates then it should be good enough for DB surely and privates would be more sensitive to claims as they aren't self insured like CIE companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Disgraceful performance from 102 today.

Somebody must step in to sort it

Buses showing in realtime and not showing- pure trickery.

Joke shop- will be sending in my taxi receipts with local TD backing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 polaro

DB training centre is running at full capacity training new drivers, no end in sight
    Constant flow of GAI drivers are up at training centre for evaluation and job with DB, got to be hurting GAI
    New DB depot is under construction in Broadstone, possibly for Bus Connects???
    New DB uniform will be rolling out in the next few months
    Positive atmosphere among DB staff, the future looks to be good

DB driver!

DB take safety very seriously, under no circumstances will they drop standards, it would only cost big money in the long term, the courts usually award huge payouts agains DB for the smallest of incidents

If they are going to be expanding their services then they'll probably have to except that they may have to lower their high standards. I've been on GAI buses a number of times I can't say there's any noticeable difference in the driving standards. I was actually on a DB bus recently that was involved in an accident albeit minor but it was due to driver error.

If it's good enough for the privates then it should be good enough for DB surely and privates would be more sensitive to claims as they aren't self insured like CIE companies.

Many private drivers are ex DB drivers for a reason, many left on good terms, many did not.
    Many did not even make the cut to become DB drivers, either medical reasons or driving ability.
    Not all of the GAI drivers who have had a DB driving assessment have been accepted, make of that what you will

I'd imagine the problems stem from the fact the Bray routes are some of the furthest away from Ballymount by the sound of what you're saying if they had an outstation in Bray there probably wouldn't be so many issues. As you may be aware DB have always had an outstation in Bray where the 184 and 185 were based along with the 145, 84 and the 45 when it used to run and Donnybrook is nearer Bray than Ballymount.

184 was donnybrook based
    185 enniskerry was donnybrook based, only got moved onto the 84 bill a few years ago
    185 palermo was donnybrook based
    45 only a few where bray based , the rest donnybrook

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

polaro wrote: »
    DB take safety very seriously, under no circumstances will they drop standards, it would only cost big money in the long term, the courts usually award huge payouts agains DB for the smallest of incidents
    Don't think it's as true now as the CIE group are one of the few entities who aggressively defend any claims.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine the problems stem from the fact the Bray routes are some of the furthest away from Ballymount by the sound of what you're saying if they had an outstation in Bray there probably wouldn't be so many issues. As you may be aware DB have always had an outstation in Bray where the 184 and 185 were based along with the 145, 84 and the 45 when it used to run and Donnybrook is nearer Bray than Ballymount.

184 and 185 where donnybrook based
    45 was donnybrook based except for 3 or 4 bray based
    185 only went onto the 84 bill the last few year DB operated it.
    84 is bray based

Many private drivers are ex DB drivers for a reason, many left on good terms, many did not.
    Many did not even make the cut to become DB drivers, either medical reasons or driving ability.
    Not all of the GAI drivers who have had a DB driving assessment have been accepted, make of that what you will

I have heard half fails assessment and half of those who got past that fail medical it would be much much worse if DB just took All GAI drivers that applied

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

You can get a payout in this country for banging your head on a low hanging door frame, so I would imagine this is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

You can get a payout in this country for banging your head on a low hanging door frame, so I would imagine this is true.

XPS_Zero wrote: »

Or riding the outside of a Luas and get over €500k....

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

New DB uniform will be rolling out in the next few months
    Positive atmosphere among DB staff, the future looks to be good

DB driver!

Remember this in 5years when DB loses the contract to another operator and staff are fighting against TUPE again. Or in a few months when you are standing on the picket line because the company won't give a small increase due to the uncertainty that bus connects brings. or you're giving up more T&CS for a few pennies on the pound..... but at least you'll look good on the gate with the new uniform.

Lean management.,..

One thing backfired on them though was the ringing in sick to a private company to then be called back by a nurse and asking personal questions...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭thomasj

I see that months later still, and there are still 220s going to kilmacanogue . They are stating that on the RTI screens at bus stops as well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

LastStop wrote: »
    Remember this in 5years when DB loses the contract to another operator and staff are fighting against TUPE again. Or in a few months when you are standing on the picket line because the company won't give a small increase due to the uncertainty that bus connects brings. or you're giving up more T&CS for a few pennies on the pound..... but at least you'll look good on the gate with the new uniform.

If they are TUPEd over, they will keep all their terms and conditions, in most cases this will never happen and the union will pull them in under DB again. In fact, sorry, what am I on about, no one will be TUPE'd over. They are DB drivers, unless a company take over all of DB all at once, that simply will not happen and makes no sense, they would have to build their wages and contract, and everything else into their tender.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    If they are TUPEd over, they will keep all their terms and conditions, in most cases this will never happen and the union will pull them in under DB again. In fact, sorry, what am I on about, no one will be TUPE'd over. They are DB drivers, unless a company take over all of DB all at once, that simply will not happen and makes no sense, they would have to build their wages and contract, and everything else into their tender.

I believe the disagreement to TUPE agreements is because some drivers feel they will be forced into accepting the incumbent operators terms and conditions if they switch over.

Advertisement