Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

loyatemu wrote: »
    similar complaints in Greystones about the 184, buses not turning up etc.

As a driver on 184/5 there has being problems on the routes but mainly the 185 the odd 184 does be cancelled because the driver for that departure does be stuck on a inbound 184 or there is no bus for them..it has happened where I arrive to work in the garage and behold there is no bus for me..e.g. stuck on the m50 because of a accident could be 3 drivers waiting for that bus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

ax586 wrote: »
    As a driver on 184/5 there has being problems on the routes but mainly the 185 the odd 184 does be cancelled because the driver for that departure does be stuck on a inbound 184 or there is no bus for them..it has happened where I arrive to work in the garage and behold there is no bus for me..e.g. stuck on the m50 because of a accident could be 3 drivers waiting for that bus

I'd imagine the problems stem from the fact the Bray routes are some of the furthest away from Ballymount by the sound of what you're saying if they had an outstation in Bray there probably wouldn't be so many issues. As you may be aware DB have always had an outstation in Bray where the 184 and 185 were based along with the 145, 84 and the 45 when it used to run and Donnybrook is nearer Bray than Ballymount.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I'd imagine the problems stem from the fact the Bray routes are some of the furthest away from Ballymount by the sound of what you're saying if they had an outstation in Bray there probably wouldn't be so many issues. As you may be aware DB have always had an outstation in Bray where the 184 and 185 were based along with the 145, 84 and the 45 when it used to run and Donnybrook is nearer Bray than Ballymount.

Exactly Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

ax586 wrote: »

Where short drivers too there's at least 4 people out today shadowing learning the Bray routes so should be improvements in a week or two

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Cheers for posting the rota, seems a bit crap! 12 weekends off in a year isn't great, DB was 2 every 5 weeks. How do they work out whos on a 4 day rota and whos on a 5?

• Advertisement

.G. wrote: »
    Cheers for posting the rota, seems a bit crap! 12 weekends off in a year isn't great, DB was 2 every 5 weeks. How do they work out whos on a 4 day rota and whos on a 5?

First come first serve then you go on a list and get bumped to 4 day as space comes available

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭spoonerhead

On the 17 this morning, one that’s scheduled for 7am. It’s taken 20 minutes to get from the Ashleaf to the KCR, bus stops for 5 minutes at each stop and going ridiculous slow. I’m not sure if this is a timetable thing, trying to make up time?

At this rate we’d be in Blackrock for 11am..

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Muller1991

20 Minutes for that loop ? Aside from stopping at each stop for 5 minutes is traffic heavy this morning ? Ive to take that bus on tuesday morning , Might rethink that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Are they really that bad? I was under the impression that service has improved under go ahead. I know my own route 76 has become a lot less crowded and I haven’t had any busses not turn up as of yet.

Yes

3 (hourly) buses in a row not showing up almost every day to Enniskerry on the 185 route.

Lots of wing mirrors gone in Palermo Bray and Enniskerry in the last 6 months. Loads of crashes in Palermo Bray too.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It would be logical alright but on the flip side you'd probably have local residents in Palermo complaining about about cuts to their "community" bus service which not many are using anyway especially not it's being run by a private operator.

They never wanted the huge increase in service NTA and Go Ahead gave them anyway!!!!!!!

They just wanted what Dublin Bus gave them!!!!!!!!!!!

The NTA dont have a clue

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

They never wanted the huge increase in service NTA and Go Ahead gave them anyway!!!!!!!

The NTA dont have a clue

For starters the NTA give the extra services not GAI..GAI didn't want to go into the estate in the first place plus there was 2 certain politician's that wants a service in there for the hole day..a few bus mirror have being lost in there aswel by the tree's as the cars are parked at the bend can't blame everything on the bus driver..Just yesterday at maple grove I couldn't get through because off 2 cars parked right across from each other and a truck behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Qrt

The NTA dont have a clue

How much as the frequency changed?

Qrt wrote: »
    How much as the frequency changed?

I think approximately 3 or 4 buses to palermo a day used to goto Palermo

Now its about 30

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Been on 4 Go-Ahead services this week, can't say I had a problem, drivers excellent and friendly.

Despite being my first time on a GAI Streetlite I didn't find them that bad, clearly more of a lightweight single deck than a proper Volvo Eclipse and not built as well, but nothing awful and it even had 40 seats, which is 12 more than some people and politicians claim :)

I think approximately 3 or 4 buses to palermo a day used to goto Palermo

Now its about 30

Yea way to much

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

During the day there was a Palermo bus that ran after 9am till before 6pm and then there were a few 185 that ran in on enniskerry service.

20 mins each way was given so only about 10mins driving.

This was because faseroe was deemed under health and safety as bus couldn't turn without reversing.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Private vehicles obstructing routes is some thing DB Control seem to have no interest in solving. When a bus lane is blocked they see it, are impacted by it, but as far as we can tell do nothing.

Is there any appetite inside GAI to have busses radio control whenever impeded and let them chase the LA(DCC) or Gardai (DLR, SDCC, Fingal) to get the towers out. Gives them a smoother time sticking to the timetable and will "train" motorists out of acting the gombeen.

Really there is the technology to capture these drivers obstructing the roads with enough cameras to give them on the spot fines which really needs to be happening but the trouble with Ireland is that such things we are lax about when we really need zero tolerance.

I was on Aircoach to the airport last night and in the space of 5 minutes I saw some guy driving half in one lane and half in the other (I really hate people who do this) blocking the bus lane, followed by towards Whitehall some guy coming roaring past us on the no entry markings on the right before darting back inside and the driver having to hit hard on the breaks.

The problem is every time I see a track offence the Garda are just giving people a ticking off and so they keep doing it, only when there is a serious campaign of zero tolerance will the selfish motorists get the message.

devnull wrote: »
    Been on 4 Go-Ahead services this week, can't say I had a problem, drivers excellent and friendly.

Despite being my first time on a GAI Streetlite I didn't find them that bad, clearly more of a lightweight single deck than a proper Volvo Eclipse and not built as well, but nothing awful and it even had 40 seats, which is 12 more than some people and politicians claim :)

I would have preferred if they bought 20 of the shorter wheelbase Streetlites. I think the main problem with the Streetlites they got is their length as they are a midibus but the length of a full size single decker. Also I've heard these buses are not wheelchair friendly as the chassis is very narrow and there are a number of handrails in the way meaning it's tight for a wheelchair to board.

They were meant to be used on the 59 a route with passenger volumes suitable for single deck operation but they have to use a double as the terminus in Killiney was too tight to take a Streetlite Max. I would have preferred they got 20 shorter Streetlites and used them on the 59, 63, 161, 236, 238 and 239 and bought 20 B8RLEs for the 33a, 33b, 104, 184, 185, 220 and 270 could put them on the 17, 18 and 76 aswell when it's less busy.

ED E wrote: »
    Private vehicles obstructing routes is some thing DB Control seem to have no interest in solving. When a bus lane is blocked they see it, are impacted by it, but as far as we can tell do nothing.

Is there any appetite inside GAI to have busses radio control whenever impeded and let them chase the LA(DCC) or Gardai (DLR, SDCC, Fingal) to get the towers out. Gives them a smoother time sticking to the timetable and will "train" motorists out of acting the gombeen.

I saw an incident in Italy where a parked car was blocking a bus from getting through. A traffic warden was sent out aswell as a tow truck with hiab on it to lift the car to be impounded. I was impressed with how quick the hiab managed to lift the car the whole process took about 5 minutes from the time the bus was blocked until it could get through.

Back to the topic of the 185 though. Palermo does not require any sort of regular bus service it is a short walk to the Dublin Road where residents can catch the 45a/b, 84/a, 145 or 155 into Bray town itself if they can't already walk there anyway. If it does have to get some sort of bus service then perhaps they could send an off peak 45a or 84a into the estate similar to the way the 45a goes into Shanganagh Cliffs a few times a day as the 45b.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭spoonerhead

Muller1991 wrote: »
    20 Minutes for that loop ? Aside from stopping at each stop for 5 minutes is traffic heavy this morning ? Ive to take that bus on tuesday morning , Might rethink that decision.

Traffic is light this week! I’m a frequent user and this happens to me at least twice a week. The drivers are sometimes told to completely stop to keep the flow of buses consistent. If you’re using the 17 always get the earlier one, I’m either 30 minutes early or right on time for work

Traffic is light this week! I’m a frequent user and this happens to me at least twice a week. The drivers are sometimes told to completely stop to keep the flow of buses consistent. If you’re using the 17 always get the earlier one, I’m either 30 minutes early or right on time for work

The stopping at bus stops may stop soon there's been issues with that out in Newcastle Garda have warned drivers of stopping at a stop on a road with a single white line 8 drivers I know of have been stopped and told if it happens again they'll get a ticket apparently management knows (according to the gaurd ) but has not told drivers about it yet or advised drivers not to continue the practice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

The 102 is a lot more frequent and runs later (even after midnight on Sunday nights), but I hate the single decker buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

devlinio wrote: »
    The 102 is a lot more frequent and runs later (even after midnight on Sunday nights), but I hate the single decker buses.

The 102 often doesn't turn up? For example today's 1930 bus.

and then you are waiting an hour.

The buses are miniature and flimsy.

It's a terrible service.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would love to know who the person was that signed off on the streetlites......

I would love to know who the person was that signed off on the streetlites......

Unfortunately nobody signs off on a particular type of vehicle as they have to be advertised as a tender and whoever scores the highest on the tender scoring matrix gets the contract.

In reality since the NTA were wisely looking at a full service contract as well as providing the buses and ADL only really offer integral products which have no dealer support network in place on the island and MCV not having the capacity to provide large numbers of Volvo based single deckers in a short space of time and Mercedes never being cheaper, Wright would always have a bit of an advantage here based on existing infrastructure and build times.

devnull wrote: »
    In reality since the NTA were wisely looking at a full service contract as well as providing the buses and ADL only really offer integral products which have no dealer support network in place on the island and MCV not having the capacity to provide large numbers of Volvo based single deckers in a short space of time and Mercedes never being cheaper, Wright would always have a bit of an advantage here based on existing infrastructure and build times.

I find it odd that Translink have gone for Optare Versas for their single deckers rather than Streetlites or Wright bodied B8RLEs especially considering all the double deckers they've got are Wright bodied apart from their remaining ALX400s.

I've yet to travel on a Streetlite and I'm in no hurry either. I hear the DB ones for the 44b are already in poor condition although this may be more to do with DBs internal maintenance rather than the actual bus itself in a similar manner to the way the WVs were falling apart which have a strong case for worst bus ever purchased by DB.

I find it odd that Translink have gone for Optare Versas for their single deckers rather than Streetlites or Wright bodied B8RLEs especially considering all the double deckers they've got are Wright bodied apart from their remaining ALX400s.

I believe the Optare vehicles supplied to Translink have been supplied with similar Mercedes parts, including the engines that are used in Streetlites, so they would probably get some kind of support as the Streetlites do from Mercedes.

Not so sure they'd be able to put together such a large order as Wright did for the NTA in a short time-frame though and any news I've seen hasn't mentioned any kind of repair & maintenance contract either, which very much is the way that things are often done these days as it gives operators piece of mind whilst giving the manufacturer no excuse when there are problems.

Deckers are a completely different ball-game because ALX400s with Volvo chassis will be supported by Volvo themselves, Scania chassis deckers will be supported by Scania as well and then you have the Wright Streetdeck Integral, the ADL 400MMC integral and the Optare Metrodecker Integral.

There's just not a whole lot of body on chassis options for single deckers these days, as ADL only build on their own bodies really these days, Wright will build you Eclipses on Volvos if you pay them enough (the last batch for Lothian, they really had to pay for!) but they don't really want to and will always offer the Streetlite at a lower cost and MCV will build small numbers of Volvo based single decks but really don't have the capacity to build 50-60 in a short space of time. Then you're left with Mercedes (excellent but not cheap vehicles) and the Streetlite and some Optare vehicles.

The big focus on integrals in recent years, coupled with the moved to a lightweight vehicles, the withdrawal of Scania (who do have a presence in Ireland and could offer comprehensive support) from anything other than a double decker chassis provider hasn't helped with this and the fact we're on an Island where not all of the builders have proper support and maintenance facilities really does restrict choice and leaves those with these facilities as better placed to offer a full package. On the other hand, when it comes to GB, ADLs integrals without doubt has an advantage over Wrightbus' as they're not having to inccur the costs of moving everything over the Irish sea.

Volvo based deckers are always going to be likely here a the moment as Volvo has an EXCELLENT dealer, sales and support and repair and maintenance operation. Much of the success of Volvo in both the bus and coach market in Ireland is down to their after-market support which rivals cannot match. Likewise Wright having their base on the Island of Ireland also helps with these things too.

I'm no huge fan of Streetlites either and would prefer a proper single decker, I don't think they're a bad bus, but they're not the best single decker out there, but I see why they won the tender and why Volvo consistently wins double deck tenders, they just can offer the support, backup and capacity to build lots of vehicles quickly that many of their competitors cannot on this Island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Here we go wrote: »
    The stopping at bus stops may stop soon there's been issues with that out in Newcastle Garda have warned drivers of stopping at a stop on a road with a single white line 8 drivers I know of have been stopped and told if it happens again they'll get a ticket apparently management knows (according to the gaurd ) but has not told drivers about it yet or advised drivers not to continue the practice

A ticket for what exactly, once there is a designated bus stop the Guard could well find himself red faced.

I don't know the area, but I'm guessing the Guard is getting mixed up with the less than three "traffic lanes" solid white line rule which they often get mixed up with a two "lane" road with a solid white line.

Advertisement