Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you blame him or not, MP manhandles woman protester

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

John Prescott hit a protester a left hook that would rattle a Wall and he was lauded for it.

He didn't and rightly didn't apologize.

Being a protester dies not make one immune from response.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Can you see what’s in her bag/purse in the longer video??

can we see what is in his pockets? He could have had a gun! Or a cosh!

Danzy wrote: »
    John Prescott hit a protester a left hook that would rattle a Wall and he was lauded for it.

Yes I remember. But that was a man. And he threw custard

She was a woman and did nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

She has a right to protest, but not to protest there. Totally deserved what happened, should definitely not be any apology. Misjudged virtue signalling to suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,929 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There’s something particularly pathetic about seeing Irish people sticking up for one of these Tory cretins.

Not sticking up for a Tory cretin, more giving an honest appraisal of the actions of a misguided protester.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Lux23 wrote: »
    She has a right to protest. He had a right to have her removed, but he didn't need to drag her by the throat. He only has himself to blame.

When did he grab her by thr throat?

I saw him grab her by the back of the neck.

Sensationalism undermines every arguement.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I am expressing my opinions. It's rather undermining for you simply say stop with this nonsense.

I must admit my brain might not be as 'logical' as you guys. I might be a little more naive etc. I might not be as smart etc :o

But i am expressing my opinions in the best way i can in a courteous manner. And i think that should be respected even if my opinion is not.

I am a person and I have feelings.

I am just not as good at arguing as you guys. :o

All terrorists are not men. To suggest they are is nonsense.
    It is nothing to do with your ability to argue/discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Nobody armed would have been able to get into that event in the first place.

And people suggesting bouncers manhandling punters of clubs should be viewed as an acceptable standard: tbh I’m surprised more bouncers don’t end up getting charged with assault, because how I’ve seen some of them behave they should be.

Yeah, the world really works like that. Security just frisk down the protesters who aren’t on the guest list and then tell them to go ahead...

The victims of the Manchester bombing and the Bataclan theatre attack would probably have assumed the same thing tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Puzzled, did she carry a sign saying 'I'm a climate activist'? How is anyone there supposed to know what she's up to? Terrorists don't all come wearing balaclavas.

Because they were there for ****ing ages before your hero saved the day. Watch the full video.

If she has a husband he should go and beat up Mark Fields!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Two jags punched a bloke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

tritium wrote: »
    Yeah, the world really works like that. Security just frisk down the protesters who aren’t on the guest list and then tell them to go ahead...

The victims of the Manchester bombing and the Bataclan theatre attack would probably have assumed the same thing tbh

Somehow I think the security at an event attended by a bunch of British cabinet ministers including the Chancellor of the Exchequer will be higher than at an Ariana Grande concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

joe40 wrote: »
    He wasn't employed as security, he had no right to do it.

Security also don't have the right to assault people.

The MPs use of force was excessive. It doesn't matter if "it'd be different if the protester was a man", or any of the other "what if" arguments here.

He used excessive force and he should be punished for it.

The 2 situations are not even comparable, and I'm sure you know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

There’s something particularly pathetic about seeing Irish people sticking up for one of these Tory cretins.

We should all think as a herd without reason. That's teach em.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Two jags punched a bloke

So.

Did you think that Fields should have punched her instead of being restrained in removing her?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Somehow I think the security at an event attended by a bunch of British cabinet ministers including the Chancellor of the Exchequer will be higher than at an Ariana Grande concert.

Yet clearly it failed here if the protest managed to get in....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Cordell

Well, I do blame him for treating a citizen this way, he is supposed to be a representative of the people.
    But it was very well deserved for a trespasser, especially the particularly obnoxious waste of air kind that the green activists are.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,929 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Security also don't have the right to assault people.

The MPs use of force was excessive. It doesn't matter if "it'd be different if the protester was a man", or any of the other "what if" arguments here.

He used excessive force and he should be punished for it.

He didn’t. The force he used was in proportion to the perceived threat. No way would a court convict anyone for what we have seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

tritium wrote: »
    Yet clearly it failed here if the protest managed to get in....

Were any of them armed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

With the prevailing culture today where the entire female species are unconditional angels who can never be wrong about anything and anyone who disagrees is a mysogonist meanie.

I can see the likes of IS using female operatives more frequently, security will think twice in future about apprehending a female

All terrorists are not men. To suggest they are is nonsense.
    It is nothing to do with your ability to argue/discuss.

I just feel sometimes i can't keep up with you. And you used my lack of intelligence against me. I wanted to show you it affects me. Not just in this thread but makes me think differently about myself.

It also makes our interaction more heated which is not good. We should be friendly kinder. :)

I am not saying 99% of men are terrorists I am saying 99% of terrorists are men.

Oh come on don't be coy. Women and men are different.

Even in Isis men and women play different roles.

Its much much rarer for women to be terrorists.

I know you all want to be metro 21st century men or women whatever you might be but is that really reality?

Do you really think men and women are the same? I certainly don't. I think there are certain traditional truths.

That is not a bad thing. I admire men a lot. They have honor. Stoicism. etc. Those are very good things.

Women are different we have other things.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Puzzled, did she carry a sign saying 'I'm a climate activist'? How is anyone there supposed to know what she's up to? Terrorists don't all come wearing balaclavas.
    I'm pretty sure she was wearing a sash across her entire body, and as she was being pushed out was shouting "Peaceful protest".

Bit late in the thread for my two cents, but I'd say it wasn't assault. I do however think it's very telling of his character that he was able to so readily put his hands on another person in aggression.

Cordell wrote: »
    Well, I do blame him for treating a citizen this way, he is supposed to be a representative of the people.
    But it was very well deserved for a trespasser, especially the particularly obnoxious waste of air kind that the green activists are.

It doesn't matter his politics or hers, when your trespassing and charging high profile targets, at the least you can expect to be restrained.

To the modern generation of " don't you know who I am" activists this would be an outrage.

It was mild and controlled.

Strumms wrote: »
    He didn’t. The force he used was in proportion to the perceived threat. No way would a court convict anyone for what we have seen.

Is it all women you're scared of, or just ones with handbags?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

What does him being a Tory have to do with the incident?

Or should we argue against him just because he is a Tory?

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    With the prevailing culture today where the entire female species are unconditional angels who can never be wrong about anything and anyone who disagrees is a mysogonist meanie.

Females are not a species :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Man this thread just goes to show how many snowflakes and sjw warriors there are these days. Come outside of your bubble once in a while.

Talk about selective viewing to suit your agenda.

She got removed with minimal force, no he did not "drag her by the throat.

Everyone crying assault needs to get a life

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    What does him being a Tory have to do with the incident?

Or should we argue against him just because he is a Tory?

Yes we are Irish and proud!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I just feel sometimes i can't keep up with you. And you used my lack of intelligence against me. I wanted to show you it affects me. Not just in this thread but makes me think differently about myself.

It also makes our interaction more heated which is not good. We should be friendly kinder. :)

I am not saying 99% of men are terrorists I am saying 99% of terrorists are men.

Oh come on don't be coy. Women and men are different.

Even in Isis men and women play different roles.

Its much much rarer for women to be terrorists.

I know you all want to be metro 21st century men or women whatever you might be but is that really reality?

Do you really think men and women are the same? I certainly don't. I think there are certain traditional truths.

That is not a bad thing. I admire men a lot. They have honor. Stoicism. etc. Those are very good things.

Women are different we have other things.

This thread is weird.
    Many of the views you have expressed in this post would probably be also held by many of the people who you are arguing against in this instance. I have no interest debating them today.

I responded to what you said. You said all men are terrorists, not most men as you are now saying.

Advertisement