Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst miscasting role

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Maggie Gylenhaal in The Dark Knight.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭evilcloud

El Duda wrote: »
    I thought Hathaway was fine in TDKR

Nolan is the king of terrible casting on paper, turning out to be fine. Ledger. Styles. Hathaway.

Yea i know she was generally considered fine in the role. It's more a personal thing for me.

Peatys wrote: »
    Any American to ever play an Irish person.

Anjelica Huston?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

I love Green Street! Hunnam's accent is woeful, but love the film, and I generally hate frodo, but in that one he's decent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

One recent one I remember being so angry about was Jesse Eisenberg in Batman v Superman.

The movie I thought was miserable, but he was just awful.

As mentioned already, Hayden Christensen in the SW prequels and Katy Homes in Batman are next top of my list. *Shudder*.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

I have so many vague memories of moaning to my GF about pants casting. And now I can't remember any of the specifics :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Adrian Brody in Predators

That was a weird one.

And he sort of became, not bulked up, but leaned and ripped for it. He actually looked like someone who had a believable gym physique (as opposed to a Wolverine type physique). But Adrien Brody, in Predators? Just.....why?

Also badly cast in that film was Topher Grace (yer man out of That 70s Show).

....... wrote: »
    That was a weird one.

And he sort of became, not bulked up, but leaned and ripped for it. He actually looked like someone who had a believable gym physique (as opposed to a Wolverine type physique). But Adrien Brody, in Predators? Just.....why?

Also badly cast in that film was Topher Grace (yer man out of That 70s Show).

On that
    Topher Grace as Venom!

Sweet jaysus but that guy was no Eddie Brock

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭venomousfrog

Kevin Spacey in Ordinary Decent Criminal, playing the part of Martin Cahill aka the General, what were they thinking....

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭El Duda

Alistair McGowan was rubbish in Predators, agreed.

Piers Morgan in Hereditary

Steve Bruce in Home Alone 2

• Advertisement

El Duda wrote:
    Vince Vaughan in Brawl on Cell Block and Pyscho

I thought he was great in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

anything involving Hulk Hogan.

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    anything involving Hulk Hogan.

You apologise to Suburban Commando, right now

Seriously though there is a difference between bad actors (or bad films) and good actors playing the wrong role.
    Hogan was not miscast in most things that he was in, just that he was terrible in them (excepting Gremins 2, his cameo was perfect in that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Small Wonder

I thought Hathaway was fine in TDKR

Nolan is the king of terrible casting on paper, turning out to be fine. Ledger. Styles. Hathaway.

He also said that he had Matthew McConaughey in mind for Intersteller long before the 'McConaissance'. He was actually quite humorous about it, saying that he accidentally ended up looking like the "smartest guy in the room".

Alistair McGowan was rubbish in Predators, agreed.

Piers Morgan in Hereditary

Steve Bruce in Home Alone 2

Brilliant. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

I thought casting Tom Hardy was a mistake for the role of Mad Max. Eric Bana would have been a better fit imo (or even Mels son Milo, seeing as it was mostly a silent role).

I thought casting Tom Hardy was a mistake for the role of Mad Max. Eric Bana would have been a better fit imo (or even Mels son Milo, seeing as it was mostly a silent role).

I like Bana but just because it was not a speaking role didn't mean it needed a certain type of actor.
    Hardy was able to play right along with the mayhem and even his grunting/movements worked in what was being smashed at the screen

I think we all have varying opinions about what miscast means. For me miscast doesn't mean a dodgy accent, a poor performance or simply a bad actor being given the role. There has to be something more, some intangible factor that means that the actor in question was never the right choice, even if he or she nailed the accent and turned in a good performance.

Emilia Clarke as Sarah Connor in Terminator Genisys is one that comes to mind. Too prim and proper and carrying too much outside baggage from her association with another huge franchise. Take a look at Linda Hamilton's portrayal of the character in T2 (which I did on Saturday at the IFI, in glorious 70mm no less). She's a nasty curled-up-fist lashing out at everything that isn't her son. She isn't sexy and she's not written or positioned within the frame to appear sexy. She's Sarah Connor and she'll put a bullet in your head (except, she wont ;))

Clarke is just about okay as a detached regent lording it over Westeros, but she doesn't have enough dirt under her fingernails to play a role like Sarah Connor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Kevin Spacey as a Dublin gangster loosely based on Martin Cahill in Ordinary Decent Criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

She isn't sexy and she's not written or positioned within the frame to appear sexy.

I beg to differ!

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »
    I beg to differ!

Really? Wow. Good for you! I never took that from her performance and it's one of the reasons I enjoy it so much. For me it's not that type of performance or film.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I don't know if anyone else agrees but I thought Matthew Goode as Ozymandias in The Watchmen was a bad casting choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Denise Richards as Dr Christmas Jones in The World Is Not Enough.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher

Reacher's details are in the start of all.the books

A summary below,

Reacher is described as being 6 feet 5 inches (1.96 m) tall, weighing 250 and having a 50-inch (130 cm) chest

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

xabi wrote: »
    Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.

I knew this would be near the top. If you never read the book or knew anything about it I think Cruise is good in the role. The issue I suppose is he's far from the physical attributes as described in the books.

Clint Eastwood in the Bridges of Madison County. His character is supposed to be gorgeous in the book

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The guy they got to play Solo ,lacked any kind of swagger

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

silverharp wrote: »
    The guy they got to play Solo ,lacked any kind of swagger

Harrison Ford?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Thomas Jane as The Punisher/Frank Castle. Didn't suit the role or character. (although he did a short called Dirty Laundry that was much better)

Ray Stevenson looked the part in the sequel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

micar wrote: »
    Ellen Page in inception.

I rewatched this film last week and had forgotten how good it was. I'm curious as to why you think Ellen Page was miscast though? Couldn't really find anything wrong with her performance :confused:

Advertisement