Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

trellheim wrote: »
    But at that time 0600-0800 it *is* heavily oriented towards departure - FR and EI first wave. In addition if those departures cant get away there will be no gate usually

If conditions are right though, at that stage they DO do dual-ops but I think they are then restricted by the current flow rate east into the UK. Things do move quite well if they do that.

On any normal morning everything is departing 30+ minutes after its scheduled time. Now I know the schedules are padded to offset that, but Dublins taxi time still sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Dalton Philips said recently that there's space for 50 million pax using the current terminal setup, considering how busy it is already I find that hard to believe unless they consider it acceptable to go back to pre-T2 style chaos. I remember landing at the airport at 6am around 2006/7 and could barely get in the door it was so cramped

T2 could use some expansion already as well, very little open space in departures airside, the bar is permanently jammed and there's nowhere near enough seating unless you head straight to your gate

The way you view max capacity is from 0530-2200, in terms of departures, ever slot and stand is constantly full 365 days of the year. There is currently lots of capacity in the evenings and in the winter period.

It isn’t a case of in the summer you will see double the passengers you currently see. Realistically only the troughs in the summer days can be filled with an extra flight here or there. So it shouldn’t get busier. If you want a better idea of what and when to expect you should really read all the information on the CAR site from the DAA about slots and airport capacity and you’ll get a better appreciation of what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I tend to alternate between T1 and T2 every week and I am not experiencing major capacity issues within the terminal buildings. Generally departing between 07:00 and 09:00 on Mondays/Tuesdays and arriving between 15:00 and 21:00 on Thursdays/Fridays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭trellheim

I tend to alternate between T1 and T2 every week and I am not experiencing major capacity issues within the terminal buildings. Generally departing between 07:00 and 09:00 and arriving between 15:00 and 21:00.

You are outside peak hours both coming and going. Try being in T1 screening at 0520 or the cattle crush T1 document check queue at midnight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You are outside peak hours both coming and going. Try being in T1 screening at 0520 or the cattle crush T1 document check queue at midnight

Generally going through security at 06:15 in the morning. Mind you, it's always fast track.

Being honest, I find the experience in Dublin to be quite consistent relative to other airports that I depart from on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

for those interested on the new runway progress:
    https://twitter.com/DublinAirport/status/1138453355150434304

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

Good to see. The sooner its operational the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Interesting diagram in that twitter thread from 1968 - two 3500m runways were planned, with the north one to be built first!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not sure where to mention this but complaints about long taxi queues (with hardly any taxis) again tonight.

What a shoddy introduction to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

No Uber etc. no metro, it’s an absolute disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

You *can* use the taxi apps, you just have to go to the unmarked Zone 18 surface car park to meet them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

DAA have apparently halted capital projects plans because of the regulator decision to cut charges so much.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/dublin-airport-stops-work-on-expansion-over-plan-to-cut-passenger-charges-1.3925111?mode=amp

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    DAA have apparently halted capital projects plans because of the regulator decision to cut charges so much.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/dublin-airport-stops-work-on-expansion-over-plan-to-cut-passenger-charges-1.3925111?mode=amp

I don't blame them. CAR seems to be confused as to how these projects are funded. You pay cheap, you build twice.
    On 09 May 2019, the Commission for Aviation Regulation published its Draft Determination on the maximum level of Airport Charges at Dublin Airport. CAR proposes a maximum price of €7.50 per passenger in each of the years from 2020 to 2024. This is 15% lower than the 2019 price cap of €8.81. This proposed reduction is in the best interests of passengers to ensure value for money, while providing a quality service.

That is such a daft statement, clearly they don't use Dublin airport themselves. Its not like the daa is looking to have gold taps and marble flooring.

I came through T2 inbound last night at 8pm

Full of taxis but largely quiet.

One of my bugbears at the moment is the massive MYTAXI advertising signs above immigration document check yet no information is given as to how to book them , if you try and call a cab to T2 the driver will always cancel it so infuriating and if you book a waiter its ferociously expensive.

MYTAXI could at least have had a deal with DAA to do something smarter here. DAA could also do something smarter with predicting taxi demand and offering discounts on fee renewal to regular cab drivers who pickup but what do I know , its not as if they dont know this themselves

I came through T2 inbound last night at 8pm

Full of taxis but largely quiet.

One of my bugbears at the moment is the massive MYTAXI advertising signs above immigration document check yet no information is given as to how to book them , if you try and call a cab to T2 the driver will always cancel it so infuriating and if you book a waiter its ferociously expensive.

MYTAXI could at least have had a deal with DAA to do something smarter here. DAA could also do something smarter with predicting taxi demand and offering discounts on fee renewal to regular cab drivers who pickup but what do I know , its not as if they dont know this themselves

No, as I said, that's no longer true, if you go in the app to select your pickup location, there's an airports button. Click on that and you'll see the Pickup Zone 18 option appear:

FEXVAKH.jpg

Once you select it, a "Show Walking Directions" banner will appear, which shows you this:

jToNE9w.jpg

And it has worked for me every time.

Now, clearly DAA have sanctioned this approach, because it's advertised in the airport, as you say. But what they haven't done is made this process foolproof for tourists. There should be directional signs at the airport saying "This way for MyTaxi, Uber, and other taxi apps", instead of some obscure Zone 18 directional.

Worse, last time I arrived to T1, signs for Z18 completely disappear at a certain point, so unless you know where you're going, you're going to get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What's the benefit of using a taxi app over the taxi rank?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

Shedite27 wrote: »

Avoiding the 30min+ taxi rank queue thats often there these days if you land after 23:30.

Shedite27 wrote: »

No waiting usually (you can have the app open when coming through customs and they're already waiting by the time you walk to Zone 18) and you can pay with a card through the app. Oh, plus you're far less likely to encounter a driver who whines about only going a short distance.

and having cash in your pocket to pay .

How on earth are you supposed to know about a separate rank for mytaxis is my point - until you posted I had no idea it existed - you'd think those big signs would .. FOR MYTAXI USE T2 ZONE 18

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

MJohnston wrote: »
    No waiting usually (you can have the app open when coming through customs and they're already waiting by the time you walk to Zone 18) and you can pay with a card through the app. Oh, plus you're far less likely to encounter a driver who whines about only going a short distance.

Shhhh will ya, it won’t be so quiet and easy to use if you blab about it to everyone here and the whole world starts to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

Locker10a wrote: »
    Shhhh will ya, it won’t be so quiet and easy to use if you blab about it to everyone here and the whole world starts to use it.

was thinking the very same thing! Is it DAA sanctioned, or is it a bit more don't ask don't tell?

Locker10a wrote: »

I actually think the app prompted me about it last time I opened it while at the airport.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

This is very serious. Airport needs the new capacity ASAP.

Whatever the problem is - this is absurd. Random tweet, random picture from today...

https://twitter.com/KasiaBrzoza1/status/1140240381340262401

I try to pretend how would I feel having to endure potential hour long queue through immigration (while pondering to myself why are those e-gates closed?)...and then having to endure that just for a taxi.

You wouldn't be happy and that's putting it lightly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just missed a bus today so had 59 minutes to kill - T1 landside is starting to look very run down in places (everything important still works though, unlike Manchester!)

Only three places left in the food court, the display about airport modernisation is literally falling apart and none of the tech for it works. Kitchen was out of action in the arrivals pub which has only just been refitted on the customer side. Broken floor and wall tiles on the way to the toilets in the food court

Whatever the problem is - this is absurd. Random tweet, random picture from today...

I try to pretend how would I feel having to endure potential hour long queue through immigration (while pondering to myself why are those e-gates closed?)...and then having to endure that just for a taxi.

People do know that it’s not the daa’s fault if there isn’t enough taxis available on Father’s Day, don’t they ?

In fairness in the doc of the modernisation 2021 - 2024 there are serious works to be done on arrivals at T1.

Unfortunately the regulator seems to think this is "quality" service and don't want to hold passenger charges (they want to reduce them) so DAA can pay for the upgrades.

They want to do this in spite of airlines having been consulted and standing behind the proposed upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

People do know that it’s not the daa’s fault if there isn’t enough taxis available on Father’s Day, don’t they ?

If you look at that ladies feed all she does is complain

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I landed at around 11PM there in April. Flew through immigration, 20 min wait for a taxi.

Landed at 1AM this week (delayed), got through immigration in under 5 mins, 30 min wait for a taxi.

I know they're odd hours but it's still unacceptable.

Advertisement