Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Leo?

Hilarious, but expect nothing else here.

No debate just insults and snide comments.

I thought you were done with the thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

smurgen wrote: »
    I thought you were done with the thread?

Well maybe I changed my mind.

Is that alright? Is that allowed?

I’m sure you will reply with some snide insult including a FG jab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Absolute ridiculous comparison.

Labour and material costs for one.

The children’s hospital costs includes the satellite clinics been built in blanch and tallaght.

Also all the machines, scanners, x ray machines beds, etc is included.

Oh and the 40 million FF wasted when they pulled out of the mater site when they were previously on power.

None of that exists in the Burj Khalifa.

This is a children’s hospital not a building with nothing in it except rooms.

To best of my knowledge the 1.7 billion budgeted so far deosnt include ancillaries such as beds,IT systems etc??

Where are you getting your info

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

_blaaz wrote: »
    To best of my knowledge the 1.7 billion budgeted so far deosnt include ancillaries such as beds,IT systems etc??
    Where are you getting your info

This was written in early April, so if it has gone up since then (which it probably has), then add appropriately. It's going to be over €2billioon anyway.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/children-s-hospital-report-says-final-cost-will-exceed-1-73bn-1.3854289
    Equipping the building and providing IT pushes this bill up to €1.73 billion; this does not include the cost of family accommodation, a research centre, excess construction inflation and any other changes to clinical standards.

Suckit wrote: »
    This was written in early April, so if it has gone up since then (which it probably has), then add appropriately. It's going to be over €2billioon anyway.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/children-s-hospital-report-says-final-cost-will-exceed-1-73bn-1.3854289

Fair play....they must be leaning hard on BAM...afaik their view internally is 2.4 to.2.5 billion......how everyone got it so wrong with a start budget of 600 million is beyond me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

The happiest man in all of this must be Eoghan Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It's a FG perogative the auld mind change.

You just had finished with the thread the same way Maria couldn't run at all for months.

You're waaaaaaay behind her in quick thinking responses though, she'd prob have told smurge that she'd have needed a judge to adjudicate on whether she had finished with the thread or not.

How long has this been hanging over the party now wheelie? My guess is that Leo has basically sanctioned five weeks of being able to piss take. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

You're known for flip-flopping Leo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

MIKEKC wrote: »
    What has Fine Gael got to do with the cost over run.?

In the minds of the mindless, the hospital would be cheaper if it was being built by another political party.

I've tried hard to explain to them that a hospital costs what it costs, but they appear to be congenitally incapable of grasping that fact.

But then again, you don't have to be in Mensa to post on Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Kivaro wrote: »
    When Varadkar became leader of the country, I became hopeful for the country. I hoped for a progressive approach to handling the country's issues.
    Instead now, with Varadkar as leader, I lament for this country.
    He did a good con job on us though.

To be fair to Leo, he wasn't the only FG Taoiseach in recent times to do that.

Remember Enda "two pints" Kenny who promised New Politics, report cards for his ministers, the Five Point Plan, political reform and so on?

Instead we got told we were "whingers" who don't need to understand "economic jargon", the Irish Water debacle and dealings, the AGS/McCabe scandal, and Enda himself disappearing when the heat got too much only to then reappear and tell us that there's nothing to see here...

Despite the efforts of some of our FG-supporting posters to play down, deflect and insult people for reminding us exactly what their party of choice have done (or not done in many cases!), I think more are realising that far from being the saviours of the country they've left us in a far worse state in many ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

In the minds of the mindless, the hospital would be cheaper if it was being built by another political party.

I've tried hard to explain to them that a hospital costs what it costs, but they appear to be congenitally incapable of grasping that fact.

But then again, you don't have to be in Mensa to post on Boards.ie

Are you in Mensa?

pburns wrote: »

Are you in Mensa?

Not any more. (They kicked me out for being too patronising to dullards.) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Remember Enda "two pints" Kenny who promised New Politics, report cards for his ministers, the Five Point Plan, political reform and so on?

Instead we got told we were "whingers" who don't need to understand "economic jargon", the Irish Water debacle and dealings, the AGS/McCabe scandal, and Enda himself disappearing when the heat got too much only to then reappear and tell us that there's nothing to see here...

Despite the efforts of some of our FG-supporting posters to play down, deflect and insult people for reminding us exactly what their party of choice have done (or not done in many cases!), I think more are realising that far from being the saviours of the country they've left us in a far worse state in many ways.

I voted FG because I believed the spin Enda Kenny 1,000 year in politics, knows what to look for, been watching from the sidelines bullsh*t.
    I ended up despising him more than Bertie and his smugness.

Out of curiosity, why didn't an Irish Company get the Hospital job? Too stupid/didn't have the know-how?
    Or were BAM just more competent and Bulsh*tting the Bullsh*tters?

Suckit wrote: »
    I voted FG because I believed the spin Enda Kenny 1,000 year in politics, knows what to look for, been watching from the sidelines bullsh*t.
    I ended up despising him more than Bertie and his smugness.

Pretty much. Enda and FG actually HAD probably the best chance we've had in DECADES to actually change how we do things in this country in 2011.

They could have instituted the reform, waste reduction and a genuine new approach as mandated by the electorate and the Troika at the time. It would still have been a tough few years for all, but we'd have had a better political system and country out of it.

Instead, it was merely their turn at the trough. It's for that (and all the other reasons I've listed above) that I consider them worse than FF.

The difference is that we (defined below) knew what to expect from Enda as he had been pfaffing uselessly around Leinster House for about 50 years before becoming Taoiseach.

Leo was an unknown quantity who had performed quite well in his various media appearances - I was particularly impressed with his ability to take on Vincent Browne, back in the days when most FG Ministers crapped themselves and hid in the coalshed if "Tonight With Vincent Browne" came calling.

Now we have discovered that in reality Leo is a hollow man, an insubstantial cork directionlessly bobbing this way and that on a shallow sea of image and superficiality. He defends his incompetence by reminding us that he leads a minority government so has to compromise, but I am deeply sceptical that he would be be any better if he led a single-party government.

It's all massively depressing - especially when one looks at the alternatives available both within FG and on the opposition benches. Frankly I wouldn't trust any of them to successfully manage a petrol station.

* by we, I mean people who have followed Irish politics since the days of Garret and Charlie.

The difference is that we (defined below) knew what to expect from Enda as he had been pfaffing uselessly around Leinster House for about 50 years before becoming Taoiseach.

Leo was an unknown quantity who had performed quite well in his various media appearances - I was particularly impressed with his ability to take on Vincent Browne, back in the days when most FG Ministers crapped themselves and hid in the coalshed if "Tonight With Vincent Browne" came calling.

Now we have discovered that in reality Leo is a hollow man, an insubstantial cork directionlessly bobbing this way and that on a shallow sea of image and superficiality. He defends his incompetence by reminding us that he leads a minority government so has to compromise, but I am deeply sceptical that he would be be any better if he led a single-party government.

It's all massively depressing - especially when one looks at the alternatives available both within FG and on the opposition benches. Frankly I wouldn't trust any of them to successfully manage a petrol station.

* by we, I mean people who have followed Irish politics since the days of Garret and Charlie.

I agree with this save for one point.

I'd argue that we knew exactly what to expect from Leo as Taoiseach, and it's indeed because of his media appearances as a minister under Enda.

Always there for a soundbite (guess that's why the press loved him so much) but usually about someone ELSE's brief. His own achievements in Transport or Health are noticeably lacking though. As Taoiseach the trend has continued - spin, deflect, and use the office to boost his own personal profile (even Donald Trump doesn't have the neck to tweet as President using a slogan like "campaignforleo")

Remember that even his own party wanted Coveney but were overridden so Leo could get the top spot (hard to respect the rule of a party that doesn't even respect its own rules/membership). That said, Coveney - often used here as an example of the better choice - is even more beholden to the EU's globalisation and migration agendas and would likely throw away any last independence or say we have in Europe.

The ONE bright point in the current state of affairs is that FG have been so hobbled by Enda's crusade to set personal records (ego, ego, ego) that the further damage they could have done in the last 3 years has been limited.

I agree with this save for one point.

I'd argue that we knew exactly what to expect from Leo as Taoiseach, and it's indeed because of his media appearances as a minister under Enda.

Always there for a soundbite (guess that's why the press loved him so much) but usually about someone ELSE's brief. His own achievements in Transport or Health are noticeably lacking though. As Taoiseach the trend has continued - spin, deflect, and use the office to boost his own personal profile (even Donald Trump doesn't have the neck to tweet as President using a slogan like "campaignforleo")

Remember that even his own party wanted Coveney but were overridden so Leo could get the top spot (hard to respect the rule of a party that doesn't even respect its own rules/membership). That said, Coveney - often used here as an example of the better choice - is even more beholden to the EU's globalisation and migration agendas and would likely throw away any last independence or say we have in Europe.

The ONE bright point in the current state of affairs is that FG have been so hobbled by Enda's crusade to set personal records (ego, ego, ego) that the further damage they could have done in the last 3 years has been limited.

I look at other leaders and I wonder what is the type people actually want.

Trump
    Boris Johnson
    Merkel
    Macron
    Putin

People laugh at these but ultimately the countries they represent are essentially superpowers.

Trump
    Boris Johnson
    Merkel
    Macron
    Putin

People laugh at these but ultimately the countries they represent are essentially superpowers.

I can't (and wouldn't have the arrogance to) speak for "people" but I am acutely conscious of the reality that the type of leader that I want just doesn't seem to be around, these days. I want the sort of leader who has a clear 'vision' (horrible buzzword though it be!) of what he wants for his country and its people and who can inspire and provide leadership, rather than merely bowing to the wishes of the people who shout loudest and their media stooges.

Of the ones that you list above, only Merkel comes close.

Trump and Putin are about power for power's sake, Macron still baffles me but appears to be a yellow-pack De Gaulle who wants the EU to become a latter-day French colony, while Boris is simply a jumped-up, delusional, opportunistic buffoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭marty whelan

They should do what FF do - they leave the party but then continue as de facto FG'ers and in the future sure they slip back in when nobody is paying attention. It's called 'The Marty Whelan Strategy'.

Be still me beatin' heart.
    I was never a ff'er dammit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Over to Micheál Martin so....

We're doomed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Over to Micheál Martin so....

We're doomed.

There are other options you know. No law says you have vote for either FF or FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Not any more. (They kicked me out for being too patronising to dullards.) :(

You've probably got a case there.

Speak to a good solicitor.

https://www.madigans.ie/

Trump
    Boris Johnson
    Merkel
    Macron
    Putin

Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

The leading article on the independent website is about Leo and Maria Bailey, and how he's reminding people that even though she (and possibly Madigan) tried to pull a fast one with a soft insurance claim, behind it all she is a woman, a mother, "one of the better ones" and an up and coming blahdee blahdee blah.

https://m.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/in-40-years-of-business-ive-never-seen-anything-like-this-owner-fears-closure-as-claims-cause-428pc-insurance-hike-38220789.html

FG like to style itself as the party for small businesses etc, and are fond of putting on the old "we need to stamp out insurance fraud" persona to the public.

If Leo let's Bailey's (and possibly Madigans) shenanigans slide, expect more insurance related stories on the media, and more stories about politicians alongside them.

Someone should ask themselves if it's purely coincidental that the two articles are sitting side by side, or if they're placed there strategically.

There needs to be more digging done on the insurance black hole and it's companion of legal blackmail that's causing destruction to businesses and schools.
    Is it just exaggerated claims that are responsible for these unsustainable hikes in insurance rates?
    Is part of it the legal costs and over-the top court complexities; allowing claimants and their advocates to pursue for financial retribution out of all proportion to any realistic remedy?

From 2015. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/legal-costs-in-ireland-are-now-highest-in-western-world-1.2053218
    "
    Legal costs in Ireland are now highest in western world
    Medical Protection Society says ‘excess’ fees charged in medical cases lead to soaring costs"
    The troika's suggestions about government action to reduce legal costs were not merely ignored by government, but I'd suggest irresponsibly driven higher by government decisions.

And results in situations like
    https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/st-teresa-s-special-school-save-our-school
    21 children with special needs. €26 thousand in insurance costs.

What organisations have revenue sufficient to sustain these massive year-on year cost increases?
    Will we be left with a country where only massive organisations that can self-indemnify can exist as physical premises that the public and employees can visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Now we have discovered that in reality Leo is a hollow man, an insubstantial cork directionlessly bobbing this way and that on a shallow sea of image and superficiality.

You plumped for a guy largely on the basis of his strong media performances and you're shocked he's turned out to be image-obsessed?:confused:

You plumped for a guy largely on the basis of his strong media performances and you're shocked he's turned out to be image-obsessed?:confused:

Tbf hes several times worse than anyone taught he would be

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Pretty much. Enda and FG actually HAD probably the best chance we've had in DECADES to actually change how we do things in this country in 2011.

They could have instituted the reform, waste reduction and a genuine new approach as mandated by the electorate and the Troika at the time. It would still have been a tough few years for all, but we'd have had a better political system and country out of it.

Instead, it was merely their turn at the trough. It's for that (and all the other reasons I've listed above) that I consider them worse than FF.

Hang on, wasnt Enda the longest serving Taoiseach? Didnt he achieve that for himself? I think its a bit unfair to say nothing was achieved, nothing important for the country, but wont we all remember Kenny as being the longest serving FG Taoiseach? :rolleyes:

Then the current clown gets on an ability to waffle endlessly and that he is a "young" "progressive" "homosexual" , many of the people that would have been all over FB and Istagram, looking for their likes for the pro choice vote, would support him in their droves, they laughably probably still do. While the fools emigrate, live at home, pay extortionate rent etc due to his agenda. A marginal rate of tax of FIFTY percent that even hits the working poor. Throw in the rest of the failures here, they dont need to be brought up all the time.

FLEECED by insurance, banks etc...

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/banks-fleece-homeowners-for-extra-2k-as-eu-rates-fall-38220970.html

he was a young TD chomping at the bit for a change in politics, we had a generational change. What we now have, is actually worse than Kenny, WORSE! a person to represent the "new ireland" :rolleyes: This place is a banana republic on an EPIC scale! We deserve everything we get , Varadkar, maria bailey, Alan Farrell for a start, throw in the rest of the morons in the DAIL too!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Hang on, wasnt Enda the longest serving Taoiseach? Didnt he achieve that for himself? I think its a bit unfair to say nothing was achieved, nothing important for the country, but wont we all remember Kenny as being the longest serving FG Taoiseach? :rolleyes:

Then the current clown gets on an ability to waffle endlessly and that he is a "young" "progressive" "homosexual" , many of the people that would have been all over FB and Istagram, looking for their likes for the pro choice vote, would support him in their droves, they laughably probably still do. While the fools emigrate, live at home, pay extortionate rent etc due to his agenda. A marginal rate of tax of FIFTY percent that even hits the working poor. Throw in the rest of the failures here, they dont need to be brought up all the time.

FLEECED by insurance, banks etc...

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/banks-fleece-homeowners-for-extra-2k-as-eu-rates-fall-38220970.html

he was a young TD chomping at the bit for a change in politics, we had a generational change. What we now have, is actually worse than Kenny, WORSE! a person to represent the "new ireland" :rolleyes: This place is a banana republic on an EPIC scale! We deserve everything we get , Varadkar, maria bailey, Alan Farrell for a start, throw in the rest of the morons in the DAIL too!

Heard him today day we’re investing 2.6 billion in social housing this year, the biggest the state has ever done.

Are you happy or angry about this because you always have a rant about people on social welfare getting more in the last budget than you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Heard him today day we’re investing 2.6 billion in social housing this year, the biggest the state has ever done.

Are you happy or angry about this because you always have a rant about people on social welfare getting more in the last budget than you?

How much of that money is going into new builds vs the state outbidding young first-time-buyers driving up property prices further?

• Advertisement

Yurt! wrote: »
    How much of that money is going into new builds vs the state outbidding young first-time-buyers driving up property prices further?

Its mostly going to be spent on HAP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement