Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clay Farm, Leopardstown, Dublin 18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ionapaul wrote: »
    I agree Clay Farm is FAR more attractive than Cherrywood (used to work out there). Just think when loads of less expensive (I imagine) Cherrywood apartments come on stream it will have to impact the Clay Farm apartments.

Cherrywood will sell for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

If they develop Cherrywood properly, so it doesn't end up looking like Sandyford Industrial Estate, I'd imagine lots of people will be attracted to living there, who might work in Cherrywood, or in Sandyford/Dundrum/Blackrock/Dun Laoghaire. So the further distance of Cherrywood from the city centre might not effect their apartment prices too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

JDD wrote: »
    If they develop Cherrywood properly, so it doesn't end up looking like Sandyford Industrial Estate, I'd imagine lots of people will be attracted to living there, who might work in Cherrywood, or in Sandyford/Dundrum/Blackrock/Dun Laoghaire. So the further distance of Cherrywood from the city centre might not effect their apartment prices too much.

4 Parks, already beside a significant amount of marked green belt, immediate access into both the M50 and N11, both the Luas and high quality bus corridor, 2 new primary schools and a secondary school, new shopping areas/town centers located within, with others within a 5 minute car ride(Tescos, dunnes, Lidl etc). Not directly beside things that could be viewed as negatives like a recycling dump, sub station or Ballyogan.

And probably most important, its going to be close to a significant amount of employment through all the office space that is going to go up and that is already there.

I have no interest in either but looking at the wasteland that is cherrywood right now is not a good indication of what its going to become. Unless the market tanks, then its dead in the water same as a decade ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I guess the worry (and it is a similar worry for all new developments) is that we've seen in the past that all of the 'extra goodies' that are sold alongside the core of residential housing units, such as parks, fountains, extra public transport, etc... all seem to fall by the wayside the minute the market shows any sign of instability. Adamstown had lots of similar amenities in its plans, which never came to be. I'd be really wary of going near Cherrywood until after all of the nice-to-have stuff is finished, if at all.

As I said, I feel similarly about the parkland planned for the back of the Clay Farm development and the proposal for the park to run behind the developments further down the Ballyogan Road all the way to Carrickmines Park (think this plan is just about still alive). Sounds awesome... I'll believe they exist when I can walk it myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

ionapaul wrote: »
    As I said, I feel similarly about the parkland planned for the back of the Clay Farm development and the proposal for the park to run behind the developments further down the Ballyogan Road all the way to Carrickmines Park (think this plan is just about still alive). Sounds awesome... I'll believe they exist when I can walk it myself :D
    Thankfully the planners seem to be on the ball and are demanding completion of a number of the non-housing elements before allowing other phases to start. This also includes completion of the full distributor road and I believe some of the linkages to the South.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    That indian is 6kms from Clayfarm, weird choice I thought.

And Dundrum Town centre, so what community are they promoting.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Henbabani

Someone was there today?
    There was a queue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GalwayBmw

Been there today - all 3 beds're gone, 4-beds are virtually gone with a few units left mainly overlooking the main road for 585K+, the agent hinted us that there may be no houses left soon if not today:)

Houses are really nice, 4 beds are bit too congested to my liking (kitchen is really brief, a smaller size bath in the main bathroom, a lot of space waisted on the areas no one's gonna use), ceilings on the 1st & 2nd floors aren't as high as on the ground floor. 3 beds are much smaller (110-120sq. meters) while not much cheaper. The whole development looks nice, however - I doubt if you'll have much privacy out there as most houses are overlooked from all possible directions, developers really did their best at fitting as many units as they could into a relatively small site.

There were very few three beds anyway right? Like 8 or 10? They're always going to be the most popular because they are at the €500k mark, and that's a big deal for a FTB availing of the HTB scheme. The four beds always took a bit longer to sell in the previous releases.

We're moving into a Fern in a couple of weeks. The houses are small alright, but we're coming from a 30 year old 3 bed house in Booterstown that is about 94sqm and would be about €120k more to buy, if you had the money or inclination to do so. So actually the Fern will feel like a much bigger house to us. And you're definitely overlooked no matter what window you're looking out of. Let's hope all our neighbours are normal enough! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cfresident

GalwayBmw wrote: »
    Been there today - all 3 beds're gone, 4-beds are virtually gone with a few units left mainly overlooking the main road for 585K+, the agent hinted us that there may be no houses left soon if not today:)

Houses are really nice, 4 beds are bit too congested to my liking (kitchen is really brief, a smaller size bath in the main bathroom, a lot of space waisted on the areas no one's gonna use), ceilings on the 1st & 2nd floors aren't as high as on the ground floor. 3 beds are much smaller (110-120sq. meters) while not much cheaper. The whole development looks nice, however - I doubt if you'll have much privacy out there as most houses are overlooked from all possible directions, developers really did their best at fitting as many units as they could into a relatively small site.

In fairness I don't think it's the developer's desire to squeeze that many houses in, it is DLRCOCO who insist on a certain number of units per hectare. That's why you now see 4 bed houses with disproportionate numbers of bedrooms relative to living space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

cfresident wrote: »
    In fairness I don't think it's the developer's desire to squeeze that many houses in, it is DLRCOCO who insist on a certain number of units per hectare. That's why you now see 4 bed houses with disproportionate numbers of bedrooms relative to living space.

Ah im sure the council didn't have to twist their arm to jam in as many units as possible.

When these families children grow up and buy there own cars where will they park !?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dearg81

When these families children grow up and buy there own cars where will they park !?

If they can afford their own car they can afford to move out! Anyway the luas is on the doorstep.

Ah im sure the council didn't have to twist their arm to jam in as many units as possible.

Dunno about that. Their initial planning application had less houses per hectare but the council made them up it.

To be honest, if my main concern in twenty years is where might we fit our third family car, then we’re doing alright.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Now ABP require 33-35 units/ha. Only choice then is high density apartment units as you won’t get the density otherwise.

Developers don’t want apartments. Houses are cheaper and easier to build with higher profit

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Dearg81 wrote: »
    If they can afford their own car they can afford to move out! Anyway the luas is on the doorstep.

Doesn't seem to pan out that way today.

Luas might be on the doorstep but that doesn't mean people won't buy cars.

Could end up like some of the developments in Lusk and Ongar with cars all over the place

Walked by the outer fence of Clay Farm yesterday and noticed a planning permission notice up - the developers are seeking to drop the original plans for the 'western' side of the development (think this is the bit that is currently used for worker parking, right beside the road into Elmfield), which was 10 houses and two small apartment blocks I believe, and replace them with two much bigger apartment blocks.

Think the change is from 10 houses and 60 odd apartments to 125 apartments (not 100% but it was around those numbers) across the two buildings, with a decent chunk of studio apartments, a decent amount of 2-beds, and a lot of 1-beds.

God only knows what that means for car parking in the estate and how busier the Luas will be in the mornings, but thought people might be interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

There was a piece in the newspaper last week about it, saying they plan a 'build to rent' development, ie they'll sell the entire block to a cuckoo fund in one transaction, private buyers need not apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Henbabani

Another huge project to go into Vulture funds hands instead of to private market.
    This project can make a real difference in the property market if apartments will go to private hands.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I understand these properties will stay in the property market as rentals.

The rumours the pick-a-bird-funds were going to pack them up and export them have turned out to be unfounded. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭sunshinew

I took a photo of the planning permission as I live beside there. Hopefully it attaches here. They are changing it from 56 Apts and 10 houses to 192 Apts in 2 six storey blocks -with 146 parking spaces. So you could easily have over 400 people living there with feck all parking spaces. The Luas is great but already jammed in the morning and only goes in one straight line. I still need a car myself.
    I get there's a housing crisis but building a rake of APTS miles out of the city centre and selling them to a cuckoo fund to rent at extortionate prices isn't going to help long term.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

We moved out of the area in 2018. Traffic was mad.

My sister still lives there and she says its a nightmare.

Wait until Carrickmines is fully developed!

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

godtabh wrote: »
    We moved out of the area in 2018. Traffic was mad.

My sister still lives there and she says its a nightmare.

Wait until Carrickmines is fully developed!

And Cherrywood.

sunshinew wrote: »
    I took a photo of the planning permission as I live beside there. Hopefully it attaches here. They are changing it from 56 Apts and 10 houses to 192 Apts in 2 six storey blocks -with 146 parking spaces. So you could easily have over 400 people living there with feck all parking spaces. The Luas is great but already jammed in the morning and only goes in one straight line. I still need a car myself.
    Thanks for that, very interesting.

Yep agreed re parking spaces - it's nuts for a location outside the M50. I don't know whether our planners themselves try and live the lifestyles that they seem to expect others to live. Fair enough for someone living in the city centre, but not in a location where you are absolutely dependent on a single light railway line.

There will be hundreds of cars though, just not parked in these blocks - they'll be spread all over the nearby streets.

The other thing of course is this belief that the LUAS has infinite capacity.

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

hmmm wrote: »
    Thanks for that, very interesting.

Yep agreed re parking spaces - it's nuts for a location outside the M50. I don't know whether our planners themselves try and live the lifestyles that they seem to expect others to live. Fair enough for someone living in the city centre, but not in a location where you are absolutely dependent on a single light railway line.

There will be hundreds of cars though, just not parked in these blocks - they'll be spread all over the nearby streets.

The other thing of course is this belief that the LUAS has infinite capacity.

Luas is already at capacity. The Metro upgrade, that Ranelagh residents are doing their best to prevent, would not really improve the situation as the Metro upgrade can only go as far as Sandyford.

Once Cherrywood development starts properly the green line is going to be a disaster for anyone living from Ballogan inward.

awec wrote: »
    Luas is already at capacity. The Metro upgrade, that Ranelagh residents are doing their best to prevent, would not really improve the situation as the Metro upgrade can only go as far as Sandyford.

Once Cherrywood development starts properly the green line is going to be a disaster for anyone living from Ballogan inward.

that would the new apartment guidelines means people will be forced on the luas or an overspill of cars in the surrounding area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

There is increased capacity and frequency on the Luas green line.
    I have no problem getting on in the mornings at 8am. I sometimes bring my bike on board.

Clay Farm is going to have studio apartments. Are you kidding me?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GalwayBmw

Gravity always wins:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/permission-refused-for-south-dublin-apartment-development-1.3516741

Could anyone share the actual experience with using Luas in the area - is it feasible to embark on it between 8 and 8:30 in the morning?

Gravity always wins:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/permission-refused-for-south-dublin-apartment-development-1.3516741

Could anyone share the actual experience with using Luas in the area - is it feasible to embark on it between 8 and 8:30 in the morning?
    Totally fine right now at those times - I usually get on at either the Gallops or Leopardstown Valley (depends on whether I drop my little fella off at creche down that way), at various times between 7.30 and 8.30 and it's never that busy, could almost always get a seat at Leopardstown Valley in fact.

Quite a few get on at Glencairn but equally there's a lot getting off at Central Park! Now I only go as far as Stillorgan usually so I bet it is busier as you get closer to town but right now, no need for any worry whatsoever about using the Luas, either in the morning or the evening (again I'm going back from Stillorgan but my wife goes to and from the city centre during rush hour and although it can be busy, it's not too bad and not at Tokyo-levels of jammed just yet :D ).

You'll get on, but you won't get a seat and it will often be fairly packed by the time it leaves Glencairn. It will get less busy as the schools and colleges pack up.

Where there can be a problem is getting home - forget about getting on after Harcourt at rush hour. Also any delays lead to large crushes.

The population of the Ballyogan area is due to double over the next few years, and that doesn't include Cherrywood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

hmmm wrote: »

Where there can be a problem is getting home - forget about getting on after Harcourt at rush hour. Also any delays lead to large crushes.

I was looking at a house out that direction. I'd be taking the Luas to Cowper and cycling from there to work. In the evening I'd be cycling back to Cowper and taking the Luas to The Gallops. For how many stops after Harcourt street would it normally be difficult getting on the Luas during rush hour?

Advertisement