Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clay Farm, Leopardstown, Dublin 18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

Hey guys, Has anyone here moved into apartments at clayfarm? Just wondering if you had any issues with anti social behaviour (teens around Ballyogan area) or just anything else in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AstronomyGuy

Hey no I have not noticed any issues with anti-social behavior. I often see teens hanging around the Leopardstown Valley but none in the estate.

Hey no I have not noticed any issues with anti-social behavior. I often see teens hanging around the Leopardstown Valley but none in the estate.

Thank you :)
    Any nice gyms around the area? I know there's Westwood but any idea if there's a shortcut to walk there instead of going all the way around?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AstronomyGuy

Any nice gyms around the area? I know there's Westwood but any idea if there's a shortcut to walk there instead of going all the way around?

I honestly don't know, I had planned on joining BenDunne in Sandyford but obviously with Covid that didn't happen. The eco-park in the estate has a chest press :P When are you planning on moving in?

I honestly don't know, I had planned on joining BenDunne in Sandyford but obviously with Covid that didn't happen. The eco-park in the estate has a chest press :P When are you planning on moving in?

Planning to buy a place actually so just trying to decide between different areas. Its a pretty trick time to buy because of the covid situation. Its gotten hard to suss out whats gonna happen with working from home situation, property prices etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Yes but it’s not public. Walk past Leopardstown Shopping Center towards the field at the back. Teleport across the fence and there’s a bridge that crosses the m50 and brings you into the Westwood car park.

markpb wrote: »
    Yes but it’s not public. Walk past Leopardstown Shopping Center towards the field at the back. Teleport across the fence and there’s a bridge that crosses the m50 and brings you into the Westwood car park.

Not a bad way to warm up before gym 😉

Yeah on Google maps satellite view you can see a well trodden track diagonally across the field that leads to that bridge, the locals in Ballyogan estate are good enough to keep plenty of gaps in the fence available. All good during the day but you'd wanna be careful if walking through at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rxchxy

cisk wrote: »
    Yeah on Google maps satellite view you can see a well trodden track diagonally across the field that leads to that bridge, the locals in Ballyogan estate are good enough to keep plenty of gaps in the fence available. All good during the day but you'd wanna be careful if walking through at night.

Just as an fyi - that field is currently cordoned off. As far as I am aware it is the site of a new secondary school. Site works started in the last week or two

Good to know, must have passed through just before that happened.

I wonder if that bridge will ever be linked for motor traffic, it would be quite the rat run and i believe the roads on the racecourse side are privately owned by the racecourse, they had both ends from Carrickmines to the opposite end at South County closed off during the Covid lock-down and regularly stop traffic using it on racedays. It would be nice if the bridge was open for pedestrians though, it's a long detour otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Why in God’s name was that flyover road built? It goes from Westwood car park over the M50, ends in a field that you can’t even cut across because of the new school being built.

JDD wrote: »
    Why in God’s name was that flyover road built? It goes from Westwood car park over the M50, ends in a field that you can’t even cut across because of the new school being built.

Apparently when the M50 between J13 and J17 was built, it would have split the Racecourse land in two, leaving their overflow car park inaccessible. As a compromise, the bridge was built so they wouldn’t lose access to the car park.

The bridge links two pieces of private property so it would be hard to make it public access. Plus it was built by NRA who only cared about roads, not pedestrian access.

Ohhh, that field was their overflow car park? Makes sense, I knew it was owned by the racecourse up until recently. Well, the field is owned by the council now, as the new Educate Together school is being built there. I wonder who now owns the flyover road? It seems it has lost it's usefulness now, unless it is converted to a pedestrian bridge. Something maybe to raise with local councilors.

Anisharora - I live in Clay Farm. I haven't personally experienced any anti-social behaviour on the estate, though some neighbours complained one night of teenagers drinking in the newly opened Ecopark. It seemed to be a once off though, it seems it's mostly young families that live in the social housing, so probably nothing to do with them. We have had a spate of people trying to break into cars, and a bike was stolen from someone's back garden last week. However, again that happens occasionally in most estates. It always seems to go in cycles - robbers hit an estate over a couple of weeks, people get better at locking their cars/windows/sidegates and then they move on to the next estate as soon as it turns out there are slim pickings on the first one.

I can see why you would be in a quandry about buying at the moment. One of the major reasons why we bought here was that the Luas line was right outside the door, and I work full time in the city. If I had known that there was the possibility that I would only be working in the office two or three days a week (and obviously that's not certain yet) perhaps I would have considered buying something larger, or closer to the sea, but with a more difficult/time consuming commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

I was on a local residents association and we took the bridge thing up with the HRI before, years ago, as it would be so handy - not only for Westwood, but also their own businesses, such as Fillie's Bar (which used to be more popular). They had no interest in accommodating anyone. I think it was a semi-state mentality - loss of business didn't affect them personally so they didn't care. Wasn't their money.

Ohhh, that field was their overflow car park? Makes sense, I knew it was owned by the racecourse up until recently. Well, the field is owned by the council now, as the new Educate Together school is being built there. I wonder who now owns the flyover road? It seems it has lost it's usefulness now, unless it is converted to a pedestrian bridge. Something maybe to raise with local councilors.

Anisharora - I live in Clay Farm. I haven't personally experienced any anti-social behaviour on the estate, though some neighbours complained one night of teenagers drinking in the newly opened Ecopark. It seemed to be a once off though, it seems it's mostly young families that live in the social housing, so probably nothing to do with them. We have had a spate of people trying to break into cars, and a bike was stolen from someone's back garden last week. However, again that happens occasionally in most estates. It always seems to go in cycles - robbers hit an estate over a couple of weeks, people get better at locking their cars/windows/sidegates and then they move on to the next estate as soon as it turns out there are slim pickings on the first one.

I can see why you would be in a quandry about buying at the moment. One of the major reasons why we bought here was that the Luas line was right outside the door, and I work full time in the city. If I had known that there was the possibility that I would only be working in the office two or three days a week (and obviously that's not certain yet) perhaps I would have considered buying something larger, or closer to the sea, but with a more difficult/time consuming commute.

Thanks a lot for your input @JDD :)
    Yeah its a bit confusing right now where to buy, when to buy and even a side of "why to buy" :D
    Hopefully the next 2-3 months should make things clearer for us to decide. I'm doing my homework for now.

A local councillor mentioned recently on Facebook that the bridge may be incorporated as a pedestrian/cycling greenway into the plans for the school. There was some to and fro between the Minister for Education, DLRCC and ABP about the issue but it looks from a letter earlier this year that it was resolved and the greenway will go ahead. The planning reference is D18A/1171 if anyone wants to take a look.

This would be great news if it happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Clay Farm new phase Release is being shown July 16th to 18th. They are requiring full proof of funds to line up a viewing. I sent on our AIP letter without showing the amount and they have said this is not good enough.

Is this dodgy? I realize with new builds you dont exactly bid it up/down etc. so you are less disadvantaged if they know your Full Mortgage rate, but it still seems like nonsense to me that I would let an EA know (Savills in this case) my budget.

Has anyone done this before?

Thanks,

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 10 commanjoe

The access across those lands is still open. They actually created a new access point for people before they moved in to start works which would indicate that the access will be maintained long term

Pivot Eoin wrote: »
    Clay Farm new phase Release is being shown July 16th to 18th. They are requiring full proof of funds to line up a viewing. I sent on our AIP letter without showing the amount and they have said this is not good enough.

Is this dodgy? I realize with new builds you dont exactly bid it up/down etc. so you are less disadvantaged if they know your Full Mortgage rate, but it still seems like nonsense to me that I would let an EA know (Savills in this case) my budget.

Thanks,

Eoin

Have they given you an approximate idea on the prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Haidee_Hammond

Thanks,

Eoin

When I was looking myself I found out a few things a bit odd, and then learnt how things work. They will ask to check you have approval for the full amount (I have asked for 2 API one was short of 2k which I had in cask no problem, and was a no until the second which was for a higher amount arrived), there should be no concern regarding negotiations as the prices of new houses are set and no negotiation (as far as I am aware) will take place, price list of each exact house should be there if you ask for it or when you go visit. (the starting prices have been sent in the email but each house will have a slight change depending on location). Best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Is anyone aware of the starting prices? Or ballpark (e.g 4 bed between 550-650k etc)

I can only find prices in an article about earlier phase in 2017 and I'm sure prices have changed a little since then. Thank you

Is anyone aware of the starting prices? Or ballpark (e.g 4 bed between 550-650k etc)

I can only find prices in an article about earlier phase in 2017 and I'm sure prices have changed a little since then. Thank you

House Beds Sq M Sq Ft Prices From
    Elder 3 116 1251 €500,000
    Fern 3 112 1200 €490,000
    Rowan 4 162 1742 €580,000
    Hawthorn 4 165 1779 €620,000

Thanks,

Eoin

They don't keep a copy of your letter of approval or anything. And the agents dealing with new releases generally only deal with new builds, and not sales of second hand houses in the area. So there's no worries that a particular agent will know your full approval amount and then use that against you in another negotiation.

The previous poster is right - there's really no negotiation at all on the prices of the houses. Each house has a set price, with the ones with side access, a view of the Eco-park, or a south-west facing garden costing a few thousand more than the starting prices listed in the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Newhomebuyer

House Beds Sq M Sq Ft Prices From
    Elder 3 116 1251 €500,000
    Fern 3 112 1200 €490,000
    Rowan 4 162 1742 €580,000
    Hawthorn 4 165 1779 €620,000

Did anyone apply and get a viewing.?

Just checked the email I got, it was sent the 7th and reads "If you could please email a copy of your proof of funds by 5.00pm on Thursday 9th July". Dublin housing market is ****ed up...

(actually we bought ours, but failed to do so on the first "batch", we were there for the launch and it was sold out, I did not understand how until we found out there had been a pre launch I did not know about, and what's worse, people had been queueing the night before and put on a list)

There will be more coming, if you know you like a development you might need to be super ready (as unfair as that is). You can see the virtual tour of the houses, specs and floor plans online (I find most of new developments are extremely similar inside anyway, it's usually down to the area, price and living room plan for me).

Best of luck

I got a viewing but smell something fishy going on.

I emailed back 13 seconds after they Sent the email (first response got first booking appointment etc.) and my viewing is 4pm.

Guy said there was 46 responses within 1 minute - I find that baffling.

The house type I wanted is gone so just going up to see the others and see if theres an End of Terrace one left by time I get appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 teapots

I emailed back 13 seconds after they Sent the email (first response got first booking appointment etc.) and my viewing is 4pm.

The house type I wanted is gone so just going up to see the others and see if theres an End of Terrace one left by time I get appointment.
    What do you mean the house type you want is gone? Are you assuming because your appointment is later in the day that the house type you wanted will be gone? I replied instantly, got an appointment but it's not on day one, so if demand is that great that they will all be snapped up perhaps going at all is a waste of time.

Scary the ways new homes are being released.

teapots wrote: »
    What do you mean the house type you want is gone? Are you assuming because your appointment is later in the day that the house type you wanted will be gone? I replied instantly, got an appointment but it's not on day one, so if demand is that great that they will all be snapped up perhaps going at all is a waste of time.

I wanted "The Elder" there was only 2 available in this phase. They're both gone, 1 pre-agreed before build, and another from someone ahead of me in the queue who is already transferring deposit without viewing.

I will take a look at "The Fern" 3 beds, but Im not too interested.. its a good KM off Ballyogan road away from the Luas and Shopping Center, maybe not ideal.

• Advertisement

I wanted "The Elder" there was only 2 available in this phase. They're both gone, 1 pre-agreed before build, and another from someone ahead of me in the queue who is already transferring deposit without viewing.

I will take a look at "The Fern" 3 beds, but Im not too interested.. its a good KM off Ballyogan road away from the Luas and Shopping Center, maybe not ideal.

Are the viewings today???? And there is a queque?

Advertisement