Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we talk about AH?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

MrFresh wrote: »
    Not so much stricter as pro active on the busy and controversial threads. And there really needs to be a discussion on what is and is not allowed. That thread about a homophobic attack has become another Muslim thread. It happens all the time and it's the same posters each time that bring it back to the Muslims.

Gotcha re the proactive however that would require nearly fulltime employees. What we have is a group of lads with families and friends and other things going on in their lives that give a dig out as a favour to the users of the site. The worst offenders are nuked pretty quickly where posts are reported however where they are not reported they are unlikely ever to be seen by a mod.
    Without a cooperative group of users the forum cannot function.

Now reading through that thread and looking at reported posts there are a lot of racist accusations thrown around and a lot of off topic posts. I am on page 16 now and haven't come across 1 post that is racist yet. I presume they are further on but it is really not a very interesting thread and there are few decent points being made so tough reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    So toys out of the pram then. Gotcha.

I looked up the reported posts you made by the way. I found only 2 and both were complaining about the same issue.
    Now personally I do not see someone calling religions homophobic as racist. This is because religions (Abrahamic at least) are homophobic. Luckily most of the followers ignore the nuttier elements of religion and go about their lives in a decent fashion.

Now you got a yellow card for attacking the poster rather than a post. This is the lightest punishment possible for a fairly standard breach of the rules. So instead of complimenting the moderator for enforcing rules, which you were asking to be done above, you come back on to moan. So everyone should follow rules except you, is that your point?

It is sunny outside. I would recommend stepping away from the internet for a while to get a little perspective.

This is just piss poor. Passive aggressive shïte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

This is just piss poor. Passive aggressive shïte.

As the old saying goes, a fish rots from the head down. If the moderators don't think there's a more fundamental problem than the occasional troll/rereg, then there really isn't any point reporting posts. How anyone could read through that thread and think there were only a couple of bad posts is beyond me.

The end result of allowing every point of view, not matter how racist or bigoted (as long as you don't Attack a Poster) is not that you get a mixture of all viewpoints, as is the regularly cited intention, it's that the worst element takes over because everyone else just leaves. Like, why would anyone who is one of the more popular After Hours target groups post on Boards? How could they possibly feel that it was a community to which they could ever belong?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Where is the list of things that are and aren't definitely racist or bigoted. Can you accept what you find thus may not be found thus by all?

If you want an echo chamber where everyone shares the same opinions, go to twitter or fb. Boards is a discussion forum where people with different viewpoints discuss things. As such, eventually you will encounter people with opinions you don't like or find distasteful, just as others may find yours distasteful.

So which groups should we censor and which should we allow form a community?

I moderate breaches of rules, not opinions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There are tonnes of posts deleted from the thread by the mods so I am wondering do people go back and check if action has been taken or do they just assume that because they have read it that it is still there. There are also banned posters whose posts have been deleted.
    The thread was closed at one point for a review so from my looking at this thread (for the first time this afternoon) it looks to me like the mods have been fairly active.
    From 16 pages of reading the only actions I deemed appropriate was to infract 2 individuals for attacking the poster rather than the post.
    As you can see from the posts above where action is taken some people complain and when no action is taken others complain. Modding AH is a bit of a tightrope act.

• Advertisement

Baggly wrote: »
    Where is the list of things that are and aren't definitely racist or bigoted. Can you accept what you find thus may not be found thus by all?

If you want an echo chamber where everyone shares the same opinions, go to twitter or fb. Boards is a discussion forum where people with different viewpoints discuss things. As such, eventually you will encounter people with opinions you don't like or find distasteful, just as others may find yours distasteful.

So which groups should we censor and which should we allow forum a community?

Hey, how's about you try to think about this from the perspective on one of the groups who come up so often?

Imagine being a traveller, a muslim, a welfare recipent, a transgender person, an immigrant, or one of the other popular targets.

Would After Hours be a better, and probably more lively community if it offered a place where everybody, (even muslims! even trans people! even travellers! even immigrants!) felt that they were welcome and would be treated with basic respect?

As it is, After Hours has become a community that is only welcoming to people who want to talk about how dreadful muslims, or travellers or immigrants or trans people are.

It's an increasingly exclusive community and increasingly toxic one.
    It's already 90% of the way towards being an echo chamber.

B0jangles wrote:
    Would After Hours be a better, and probably more lively community if it offered a place where everybody, (even muslims! even trans people! even travellers! even immigrants!) felt that they were welcome and would be treated with basic respect?

So we force people not to express their opinions to create a more amenable posting environment?

B0jangles wrote:
    As it is, After Hours has become a community that is only welcoming to people who want to talk about how dreadful muslims, or travellers or immigrants or trans people are.

I don't disagree there are groups that want to dicuss this ad nauseum and seemingly exclusively. But that's their right. If they aren't doing anything in breach of the rules in doing so, even if they are being subjectively disgusting in doing so (imo), then what do you want us to do?

What if a mod starts disliking your opinions and finds they make other posters feel uncomfortable. Should we start censoring you and stopping you from expressing your opinions?

So we force people not to express their opinions to create a more amenable posting environment?

Yeah! Like, that's what happens in real life?

If you worked with someone who constantly just spouts off about how muslims are all potential bombers, or immigrants are trying to replace all white people, they'd get reported to HR for creating a hostile environment and if they kept doing it they'd be fired.

If it was in a pub and a person kept spouting that crap and harrassing other patrons for being black, or speaking another language, they'd be asked to leave. If they did it again, they'd be barred. That's what happens in real life - people who want to act like assholes to other people get excluded and shunned, not mollycoddled and told their point of view is just as valid as everyone elses.

Why is boards so keen to protect the right of bigots to spout bigotry over the right of other posters not to have to put up with the endless stream of shíte they produce?

Is it just a Safe Space for asshóles?

B0jangles wrote:
    If it was in a pub and a person kept spouting that crap and harrassing other patron for being black, or speaking another language, they'd be asked to leave. If they did it gain, they'd be barred.

So by spouting you mean what: shouting it out loud and disturbing others.... Or having a discussion with someone where they tell them their opinions? Because they would be thrown out no matter the subject of what they are saying for the former, and would be allowed do the latter.

If you haven't heard people be racist in pubs, maybe you just aren't going to the same pubs as them, because as galling as it is, they are out there and some of them aren't shy.

With regards to your HR example, I don't see how it corresponds to a discussion forum. A workplace is for doing work. Hence discussions on the kinds of topics we find in Ah are not a requirement to complete work. Hence all the employment laws in place for this.

AH isn't a workplace. Its a discussion forum. Hence all opinions are allowed, as long as they obey the rules. So barring discussion on a discussion forum is massively counter productive. Like what would be the point. It would just be people agreeing with each other and not seeing any new viewpoints.
    B0jangles wrote:
    Why is boards so keen to protect the right of bigots to spout bigotry over the right of other posters not to have to put up with the endless stream of shíte they produce?

People have the right to have opinions! Why are you so keen to curtail this.

As I have said what if mods decided to censor you because you made others uncomfortable. It's the same logic you are suggesting. Would that be ok?

• Advertisement

This is such a weak handshake of a response. Like, you can’t discern at all what a bigoted post might look like? How do people arbitrate this stuff in other spheres? It’s such a lazy out to just distill it down to people wanting an echo chamber. But in a way, I appreciate your honesty here.

So by spouting you mean what: shouting it out loud and disturbing others.... Or having a discussion with someone where they tell them their opinions? Because they would be thrown out no matter the subject of what they are saying for the former, and would be allowed do the latter.

If you haven't heard people be racist in pubs, maybe you just aren't going to the same pubs as them, because as galling as it is, they are out there and some of them aren't shy.

With regards to your HR example, I don't see how it corresponds to a discussion forum. A workplace is for doing work. Hence discussions on the kinds of topics we find in Ah are not a requirement to complete work. Hence all the employment laws in place for this.

AH isn't a workplace. Its a discussion forum. Hence all opinions are allowed, as long as they obey the rules. So barring discussion on a discussion forum is massively counter productive. Like what would be the point. It would just be people agreeing with each other and not seeing any new viewpoints.

People have the right to have opinions! Why are you so keen to curtail this.

As I have said what if mods decided to censor you because you made others uncomfortable. It's the same logic you are suggesting. Would that be ok?

Clearly I'm wasting my time here. If you don't think there's a problem with the way After Hours has changed, if you think it's not up to the moderators of the forum to moderate the place so that it isn't a sort of knockoff stormfront then there's nothing I can say to change your mind.

It's a real pity, Boards used to have something special -a discussion board with a uniquely Irish slant.

This is such a weak handshake of a response. Like, you can’t discern at all what a bigoted post might look like? How do people arbitrate this stuff in other spheres?

Where did I say that? I think you are misrepresenting me there tbf.

How can you have a discussion forum where discussion is curtailed. Imo you can't.

If we start to ban/punish people for their opinions it's a slippery slope. For the site and for society.

I see stuff I dialike all the time, but people are entitled to hold opinions I don't like.

They just aren't allowed break the rules in expressing those opinions. I am OK if you think we should be banning people based on their opinions, because that's your opinion. I just won't be doing it. And I don't see how anyone could provide me with a clear list of what is and isn't acceptable.

What other spheres do you mean?

B0jangles wrote:
    It's a real pity, Boards used to have something special -a discussion board with a uniquely Irish slant.

I've been on boards for a while. Its a good site because it allows discussion from all viewpoints, once people are civil and play ball. If the opinions out there have become polarised, I don't think the way forward is to curtail opinions. I'm fact open discussion and challenging other opinions becomes even more important.

Appreciate your viewpoint bojangles. Just don't agree with a lot of what you are suggesting.

Well, here you seem to be saying you can’t discern. If not, what did you mean by that? Can you not use your discretion?

Well, here you seem to be saying you can’t discern. If not, what did you mean by that? Can you not use your discretion?

I'm asking the poster their opinion. I later said there is no clear cut list to suit everyone. If you have misinterpreted me I'm happy to clarify, but please don't put words in my mouth. Ask me to clarify.

I'm asking the poster their opinion. I later said there is no clear cut list to suit everyone. If you have misinterpreted me I'm happy to clarify, but please don't put words in my mouth. Ask me to clarify.

No, I haven’t. Your position is loud and clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Plenty of groups deserve criticism at times - I don't get this objection to criticising traveller culture. There are lots of things to criticise about it, and it's frustrating when people ignore the stats as if they're all just poor little victims.

But I agree that there is a lot of hate on After Hours too. Criticism - even robust criticism - is possible without hatred and aggression and dismissal. Like Sinead Burke - people were trying to outdo themselves with dickishness regarding her. It's cool to be nasty and sneery towards vulnerable people now. You must look tough because you're a "snowflake" to show empathy and compassion (unless it suits of course).

Sneery, complacent mods here is so not a good look.

No, I haven’t. Your position is loud and clear.

You aren't giving me a lot to discuss here and don't seem to want to engage with what I'm saying, so I don't know what to say to you.
    Sneery, complacent mods here is so not a good look.

I'm here for a discussion. I've outlined my pov and have tried to respond to anyone that wants to discuss. I don't see what else there is to be done beyond that.

You aren't giving me a lot to discuss here and don't seem to want to engage with what I'm saying, so I don't know what to say to you.

I'm here for a discussion. I've outlined my pov and have tried to respond to anyone that wants to discuss. I don't see what else there is to be done beyond that.

You’re right, I don’t really because I’ve quickly realised there’s no point. I’m glad the exchange exists though because it gave me some insight into AH moderator thought processes and if I found it insightful, others might too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

So based on this thread, people want us to,

Be tougher on racism and allow it.
    Crack down on homophobia but also let people say what they want.
    Allow discussion of traveller culture while curtailing discussion of traveller culture.
    Loads more politics in A.H. but less politics in AH at the same time.
    Harder and softer moderation at the same time.
    Free expression of your religion while curtailing discussion of the other guys religion.

So, to sum up about the only thing people don't get their knickers in a twist about is the amount of sport in AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

The real problem with the thread on the attacks on the lesbian couple in London is that it has become, without any evidence at all, a thread for attacking Islam. There’s no evidence the prepretators are Islamic.

Now if the thread was starting with some other topic like the opposition to the LGBT education in Birmingham by some muslim groups then attacking the religious nature of this opposition would have some justification.

Imagine that there was still significant anti Irish sentiment in England and when something like this happened the internet over there started blaming Irish catholics without cause - would you not suspect racism even if Catholicism were homophobic? - which it is.

The bigots might luck out and it might turn out that this attack was by Muslims, however it’s unlikely given the demographics of where the attack happened that this is the case.

It’s not only that though; prior to Muslims being blamed some of the trolls denied that the homophobic attack was in fact homophobic. That was deliberate and clear thread derailment but at least it was dealt with.

The Islam bashing is clearly off topic either way, and moderators do have the power to guide the topic back to the original topic, with warnings or bannings for people who disregard instructions, even if the individual posts themselves are not otherwise actionable. At the moment it is a sh1tshow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Nosnon wrote: »

Allow discussion of traveller culture while curtailing discussion of traveller culture.
    Free expression of your religion while curtailing discussion of the other guys religion.

So, to sum up about the only thing people don't get their knickers in a twist about is the amount of sport in AH.

Just let people talk about whether they want. Nowhere to hide. Nobody telling tales .
    No safe space. No echo chamber.

You’re right, I don’t really because I’ve quickly realised there’s no point. I’m glad the exchange exists though because it gave me some insight into AH moderator thought processes and if I found it insightful, others might too.

That's fine but before you go..... Did you go back and edit further points into your earlier posts.... After I had responded to them?

Thats not great.

That's fine but before you go..... Did you go back and edit further points into your earlier posts.... After I had responded to them?

Thats not great.

I actually didn’t. I don’t think. Perhaps corrected a typo? But I don’t think I even did that. Which post? If you direct me to the one you think I edited, I will absolutely say if I did. I’m not leaving that hanging. I would like to clear this up because it’s an accusation.

I often add stuff to posts. It’s never meant as malicious. When people are responding to each other quickly, a reply can be posted whilst an edit is happening.

Where did I say that? I think you are misrepresenting me there tbf.

How can you have a discussion forum where discussion is curtailed. Imo you can't.

If we start to ban/punish people for their opinions it's a slippery slope. For the site and for society.

I see stuff I dialike all the time, but people are entitled to hold opinions I don't like.

They just aren't allowed break the rules in expressing those opinions. I am OK if you think we should be banning people based on their opinions, because that's your opinion. I just won't be doing it. And I don't see how anyone could provide me with a clear list of what is and isn't acceptable.

What other spheres do you mean?
    This is such a weak handshake of a response. Like, you can’t discern at all what a bigoted post might look like? How do people arbitrate this stuff in other spheres? It’s such a lazy out to just distill it down to people wanting an echo chamber. But in a way, I appreciate your honesty here.

This is the one. What I quoted vs what's there now.

Click the blue square to see the post I quoted. Sorry quote function cut out the quote.

This is the one. What I quoted vs what's there now.

I can’t actually remember if I posted that in one block or added a bit as there is no edit timestamp underneath. But if I did, it was clearly added very quickly (because... no timestamp) when I probably hadn’t even seen a reply from you.

C’mon, you know if there’s no timestamp underneath that if I did add something, it was very quickly. I often do add quick edits to posts because I never really expect very quick responses.

It’s actually annoying that you’ve undermined me here with little evidence. If you don’t know and I don’t know and you have no extra tools to tell, you should retract that accusation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Nosnon wrote: »

Tell the people who are being hateful or on a wind-up to knock it off - whether on the left or right. The "How do you qualify what's hateful or on a wind-up?" response is lazy and disingenuous (before you throw that one in). Right now you don't appear to give a sh1t. It's perception I know, but it is what it is. A certain poster was getting away with winding up and insulting for months - didn't exactly inspire confidence in the mods.

And don't card or ban people for minor low hanging fruit just because it's easy.

• Advertisement

C’mon, you know if there’s no timestamp underneath that if I did add something, it was very quickly. I often do add quick edits to posts because I never really expect very quick responses.

I know you have 3 mins to make an edit without a timestamp, and that I quoted the post responded before that 3 mins was up.
    It’s actually annoying that you’ve undermined me here with little evidence.

Well then make another post and don't ninja edit and double the content of your post. I didn't make you edit the post. I pointed out you did it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement