Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophobic attack on London bus - mod warning, please see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

MrFresh wrote: »
    If they were totally fine with homosexuality, why would they use it as an insult?

I don’t think anyone genuinely has a problem with ginger people or bald people yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭elli21

i can picture a scenario in which a lad and his GF are on the bus and a group of scrotes sit around them saying "ah go on give her a smooch there" and generally harassing the couple culminating in them pouncing on them giving them a flurry of digs and grabbing the girl's bag and the lad's phone. Not headline news.

You are picturing a scenario.On this thread we are talking about facts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Is it not better to have as much information as possible so as to see patterns should they develop ? Sometimes details are irrelevant, other times they matter greatly.

But not patterns about the perpetrators...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

elli21 wrote: »
    Who said Hetrosexuals are less important?I'm hetrosexual.chances are that I am more likely to be attacked if I 'm gay..I can walk hand in hand with my husband down the street ..no problem.Now if I was gay man and had a husband ..Let's be honest there is no chance we would be walking hand in had down the street

so if it happened to be heterosexual couple that were targeted by the scumbags instead, do you think it would have made international news headlines ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Nobelium wrote: »
    I'd say it made headline news because two lesbians should be able to go about their business without having to put on a sex show for scumbags. Jesus why shouldn't it be in the news. Why does it offend people that this is being reported.

It doesn't. We're asking why heterosexual victims are less important, and a similar crime against a heterosexual couple would never make the international news.
    Because hetrosexual people are rarely attacked for being heterosexual and don't have to worry about a normal thing like holding hands.

Amazed I have to explain this

• Advertisement

Because hetrosexual people are rarely attacked for being heterosexual and don't have to worry about a normal thing like holding hands.

Amazed I have to explain this

Where's the evidence they were specifically targeted because they were homosexuals ? Scumbags are just as likely to attack a heterosexual couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭Allinall

Where's the evidence they were specifically targeted because they were homosexuals ? Scumbags are just as likely to attack a heterosexual couple.

Did you even read the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    You’re partially right- it’s unfair to generalize all men as violent.

However, and some men have real trouble accepting this, violent crime is predominantly a male thing.

Most murder (of men and women) is committed by men. Most rape (of men and women) is submitted by men. Most serious assault is committed by men.

And when I say most, I mean the vast majority.

And as a society we need to tackle that. It’s not misogynistic to point out facts.

its not random though, men by definition tend to have more traits at the extremes of bell curves be it something good or something not desired, which is why how they were raised , value systems etc are crucial. Probably the main factor here is that they werent raised well so their parents started the ball rolling

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You are picturing a scenario.On this thread we are talking about facts
    are we seriously not able to deal in hypotheticals on a discussion forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Allinall wrote: »
    Did you even read the article?

I don’t think any evidence is going to convince him.

• Advertisement

are we seriously not able to deal in hypotheticals on a discussion forum?

Why does the fact that a heterosexual couple being attacked wouldn’t make world headlines upset you so much. Maybe. Maybe not. Heterosexual couples are probably safer in displays of affection, though.

What’s the problem here?

FFS an other one that can't be arsed to follow the story.The scum seen the lesbian couple kissing and then demanded they kiss more for them.They refused and then were attacked...scumbags attack...no disagreement here .These women were attacced because of their sexuality .If they wanted to rob them they could have done so without doing a willy waving competition between them and demanding a lesbian preformance

Why does the fact that a heterosexual couple being attacked wouldn’t make world headlines upset you so much. Maybe. Maybe not. Heterosexual couples are probably safer in displays of affection, though.

What’s the problem here?
    so the thread should go; thats terrible x 1000. the end.

of course its terrible, now lets deconstruct the scenario ffs.

so the thread should go; thats terrible x 1000. the end.

of course its terrible, now lets deconstruct the scenario ffs.

That’s not an answer to my question. Why are you upset about the coverage, what exactly upsets you?

That’s not an answer to my question. Why are you upset about the coverage, what exactly upsets you?

nothing upsets me but i dont come here for consensus confirmation. maybe put me on ignore if it bothers you?

nothing upsets me but i dont come here for consensus confirmation. maybe put me on ignore if it bothers you?

No. I’m asking you to explain your position. How would putting you on ignore help that?

And if you want to disagree with the concensus maybe explain your position without a hissy fit.

What’s the problem here?

are homosexual couples in more danger of attack from normal people in displays of affection?

or is it toerags in groups looking for trouble that are likely to see a trigger- a gay couple, a member of a minority, a group of girls with short skirts, a fella on his own on a walk home, whatever gradation of reason it comes down

these lads werent going home without causing trouble

the correct philosophy of the thread, the thing we are "supposed" to do, is to....what? lets analyse....

i. sympathise (useless activity at such a remove, so cant be the point)
    ii. agree that the pertinent item here is one out of many data points (ok, thats interesting.....getting warmer)
    iii. agree that this is evidence of....what....? ah, the pertinent group in the data point above must receive lets see....a special status for crimes against them, perhaps? more attention or focus on such crimes at least? lets say, on available evidence, its that
    iv. agree that this is a case of 'us' - not members of the pertinent group- either tacitly or actively being responsible for the (now special status) crimes against that group
    v. important point- you can, as a non-member of the pertinent group, be a 'good member' by throwing your unthinking support behind this initiative. otherwise
    vi. you are a 'bad member' and in full support of the crime having occurred, oh and by the way why do you hate the pertinent group?
    vii. any questioning of the above is taking offence, why dont you sympathise, why are you whatabouting, my god is this the kind of world we want, etc etc cesspit handwringing

the angle is to browbeat the majority to dumbly accept some culpability for something they didnt do and dont support. cheerlead or guilt by association.

it is totally on-point to ask every time why, if an event must be viewed through the lens of identity politics, it invariably must be viewed in *only the way suggested* and not, for instance, an investigation into what the relevant characteristics of the actual person responsible might be.

scrotebags be scrotebaggin, y'all. thats not the fault of whites, men, the middle classes, str8s, cis, fffg voters, whatever.

stop hanging collective responsibility on society.

stop framing unpleasant events as more important, serious or relevant if they occur to groups you happen to get more kudos for liking on twitter

start thinking about how to identify and catch people who do this sh1t and ensure they dont ever think about doing it again, in a manner that encourages les autres.

the ills of the world arent caused by people disagreeing with ye online. and starting right-on threads for thanks isnt valuable or productive.

sorry. bad news i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Billy Mays wrote: »
    If the people saying this attack wasn't unusual could link me up to some previous incidents of two gay women being beaten up on a bus cos they wouldn't put on a lesbian show for a gang of scumbags that'd be great

Cheers in advance

I asked for stats from somebody who said on the thread that worse attacks happen on public transport every day. Every day, no less. No stats were forthcoming, natch. Just the general crime stats for the UK.

Faugheen wrote: »
    You won’t get them. Nobelium excuses hateful speech/actions by making things up and will keep saying the same things over and over again when it’s evident they haven’t a clue what they’re talking about.

Better off not responding to them.

Nah, it’s better to question the poster and lay everything bare for people to see, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I asked for stats from somebody who said on the thread that worse attacks happen on public transport every day. Every day, no less. No stats were forthcoming, natch. Just the general crime stats for the UK.
    It's almost as if people are just pulling statements out of their hole and presenting it as fact

Happens a lot on here

• Advertisement

It's almost as if people are just pulling statements out of their hole and presenting it as fact

Happens a lot on here

does it

have you anything to back that up

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It doesn't. We're asking why heterosexual victims are less important, and a similar crime against a heterosexual couple would never make the international news.

Because heterosexual couples dont get targeted for being heterosexual obviously.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

does it

I do. Nobelium made a definitive statement on this thread that I asked him to back up as he sounded so sure. He couldn’t. He danced around answering the question but never provided anything.

No. I’m asking you to explain your position. How would putting you on ignore help that?

And if you want to disagree with the concensus maybe explain your position without a hissy fit.
    ok, i think the media is fetishizing these womens sexuality just as much as the scrotes did.

Because heterosexual couples dont get targeted for being heterosexual obviously.

i spose the point being that

the toerags who did this werent going home without somebody getting it. i dont know anything about the details beyond what's reported and frankly its being reported at an angle anyway

the focus on getting this categorised as a hate crime under a specific politicised vehicle wants you to look *here* not *there*

rather than rush to focus on the characteristics of the victim, seems to me and others that it might be good to focus on the group that battered and robbed a gay couple this time, next time a mexican fella, last time a straight couple.

again:

are normal people likely to attack and rob a gay couple?

if not, it seems fair and relevant to look at what factors differentiate the attackers from normal people.

not to castigate normal people for not jumping in with online nods.

I do. Nobelium made a definitive statement on this thread that I asked him to back up as he sounded so sure. He couldn’t. He danced around answering the question but never provided anything.

You're the one refusing to answer.

I provided stats.

I don't have stats for specifically for public transport, but if you are trying to claim that public transport crime is so different to normal crime statistics, you are free to post them up.

Key statistics from police recorded crimes in 2017 :

57,600 rapes recorded by police in 2018 (157 per day)
    39,598 offences involving a knife or sharp instrument (108 per day)
    6,604 offences involving firearms - up from 5,864 in 2016 (18 per day)
    688 homicides (nearly 2 per day)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8885961.html
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43905407

All of them worse than this incident, and yet this one instantly makes international news headlines , so what's so rare, special and newsworthy about it exactly ?

The point which you are desperately trying to avoid is worse crimes happen in the UK every single day, yet these victims don't make headline news, why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

does it

I presume you're being serious so yes I do actually. A poster said this crime wasn't unusual. I've asked for links to previous incidents of women being attacked on public transport for not putting on a lesbian show when asked. No links have been forthcoming.

In another thread a poster said most liberals are either divorced or seperated. I asked for some links to data to back this statement up. Again, no links have been forthcoming.

And that's just in the last few hours.

Is that evidence enough for you?

I presume you're being serious so yes I do actually. A poster said this crime wasn't unusual. I've asked for links to previous incidents of women being attacked on public transport for not putting on a lesbian show when asked. No links have been forthcoming.

In another thread a poster said most liberals are either divorced or seperated. I asked for some links to data to back this statement up. Again, no links have been forthcoming.

And that's just in the last few hours.

Is that evidence enough for you?

im genuinely sorry i wasnt being serious

it was smartassery

thought it was obvious enough punning so apologies!

ok, i think the media is fetishizing these womens sexuality just as much as the scrotes did.
    How so?

For me the media reporting an attack doesn't mean they are fetishizing it.

Are we not allowed to report crimes anymore because people might get offended ?

• Advertisement

How so?

For me the media reporting an attack doesn't mean they are fetishizing it.

Are we not allowed to report crimes anymore because people might get offended ?

The people who have a problem with the attack being reported just have issues with homosexuals. They also have a problem with immigrants and Muslims.
    So at the moment they are hoping the attack was carried out by immigrants or Muslim so they can use it as a sounding board, while also complaining that the actual attack is in the news because of the victims sexuality.

Basically sad sacks so won't waste to much time wondering why they have issues with it being reported.

Advertisement