Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophobic attack on London bus - mod warning, please see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,284 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Tbh I was avoiding looking at this thread because I worried what some people would say.
    But as expected unfortunately plenty of people making light of a seemingly really horrible attack.

The scary thing is attacks on people for being gay are not as rare as you think in the UK and Ireland.
    I posted on here before about being attacked entirely unprovoked with my partner by two lads (who called us f@ggots) and slashed me in the face with a Stanley knife, with that I had to convince some people on here that that attack was homophobic. The permanent scar I have is a reminder of it unfortunately. If any of you saw the picture I have of the effect of that attack it isn't a pretty site, maybe show a little decency and compassion, expressing those sentiments for these two girls does not take away from the seriousness of other assaults

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Thread locked for a few minutes for a big clean up of a trolls posts. Sorry but got to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Thread reopened. Sorry that the thread looks kinda disjointed but we have to starve the trolls of oxygen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Das Reich wrote: »
    I doubt an English speaker would recognize a Spanish tone. Any pictures of the attackers?

Really? Because I actually doubt many english speakers wouldnt be able to identify a spanish accent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Bloody awful what happened to the two women. But can we leave the man bashing out of it please, they didn't do it because they are men, they did it because they are scum. They are a minority, and to generalise men the way some posters have is no different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

Hoboo wrote: »
    Bloody awful what happened to the two women. But can we leave the man bashing out of it please, they didn't do it because they are men, they did it because they are scum. They are a minority, and to generalise men the way some posters have is no different.

You’re partially right- it’s unfair to generalize all men as violent.

However, and some men have real trouble accepting this, violent crime is predominantly a male thing.

Most murder (of men and women) is committed by men. Most rape (of men and women) is submitted by men. Most serious assault is committed by men.

And when I say most, I mean the vast majority.

And as a society we need to tackle that. It’s not misogynistic to point out facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

Ah no let's leave in the man bashing.
    Here's why.
    The type of poster who is man bashing on this is one who would be against any other kind of generalisation.
    Let us all see the hypocrisy.
    Now, while I would suspect these boys (I think it's one adult and the rest under 18) were black teenagers, I don't really care what they were. I have my reasons for thinking they were black, good rational reasons. And we learned since John Cleese tweet London is only 45% white so on that alone they are not white, of course the lack of a description of them as white or any other colour also tells me they are not white.
    I could be wrong and I don't care if I am.
    But when it comes out what race or even what religion they are. Well, generalising on nearly have the population good, generalising on a subset of that half bad.
    I expect nothing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

KikiLaRue wrote: »

However, and some men have real trouble accepting this, violent crime is predominantly a male thing.

Most murder (of men and women) is committed by men. Most rape (of men and women) is submitted by men. Most serious assault is committed by men.

And when I say most, I mean the vast majority.

And as a society we need to tackle that. It’s not misogynistic to point out facts.

Ah no we all know a lot of violent crime is committed by men. It used to be most but you know yay equality.
    And I don't think we need to tackle it. We as a society already are violent crime is dropping and has nearly always been.
    I don't have the statistics now by rates of violent crime are dropping.
    And I don't really know what we can do as a society to change us, men and women, ad it is in our nature.
    I think violence among men is a result of our competitive nature, the same competitive nature that got us as a society where we are today. Take away that and what are we left with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Hoboo

KikiLaRue wrote: »

I'm fully right. It's extremely wrong to generalise all men as violent. If they were black, no one would say a group of blacks attacked the women without subsequent uproar. Yet it's ok to distinguish and apply blame, with and due to gender?

They're scum, simple as that. They didnt do it BECAUSE they are men, they just happen to be men.

What men are these that have a problem accepting that most violent crimes are committed by men, where did you get that from? I couldn't imagine any not accepting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭circadian

Because of religious beliefs

First response in thread. Did you even read the article?

"Someone stole a lollipop from my kid"

*Foams at mouth* "Religion of peace! Aerrrgghhh!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

vriesmays wrote: »
    Jennifer Connolly is now gay?

spit & image of her it must be said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭elli21

I don't think this is entirely true...I don't think for a moment that all men behave like this,but most definetely I have seen an upgrade from men against gay women.

I am a straight woman myself...But there is an ideology around now that "Feminazis just need dick and that will shut them up".

Growing up in South Africa it reminds me of corrective rape.
    You see it all the time on social media dyke feminazis.

I think most men don't care .....but I feel the number of those who now consider gay women as the enemy is growing

klaaaz wrote: »
    2 women were bloodily beaten up by a group of men in a violent homophobic attack. Why do some men get upset, angry and offended at gay people existing, they could have just minded their own business on what other's people's sexuality is but they rather intervene in strangers lives and beat them up for being gay.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-48555889

It had nothing to do with their sexuality. Feral thuggery pure and simple.

It was feral and thuggery...it also had everything to do with their sexuality ...they wanted a lesbian prefomance for them hence why they demanded they kissed....jeez did you even bother to follow the story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Thank you. It was an attack against soft targets or people who stood out. The homophobic element is overstated.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Except it did. They were beaten up after refusing to kiss each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,065 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

elli21 wrote: »
    It was feral and thuggery...it also had everything to do with their sexuality ...they wanted a lesbian prefomance for them hence why they demanded they kissed....jeez did you even bother to follow the story?

Didn't they also rob the women after they attacked them? That puts them in the category of people who would mug someone which is pretty far removed from your average bloke.

They seem like bad eggs. I thought the homophobic angle was relevant but overplayed. They just seem like thugs to me.

As a man I don't worry about people having a go at the attackers. I don't consider them "my people" because they're aggressive thugs.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Except it did. They were beaten up after refusing to kiss each other.

If the two women were straight what would the headline be?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

There wouldn't be one. Victims of far worse crimes every day don't make national, never mind international headlines.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

There would'nt be a headline.
    Its unlikely to have made the news if the two women were straight, it would just be another minor statistic on an ever increasing crime rate in London.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Yeh it did. There’s pc gone mad and anti pc gone mad.

This was clearly a homophobic attack. Clearly motivated by the sexuality of the two women.

yesto24 wrote: »
    Ah no let's leave in the man bashing.
    Here's why.
    The type of poster who is man bashing on this is one who would be against any other kind of generalisation.
    Let us all see the hypocrisy.
    Now, while I would suspect these boys (I think it's one adult and the rest under 18) were black teenagers, I don't really care what they were. I have my reasons for thinking they were black, good rational reasons. And we learned since John Cleese tweet London is only 45% white so on that alone they are not white, of course the lack of a description of them as white or any other colour also tells me they are not white.
    I could be wrong and I don't care if I am.
    But when it comes out what race or even what religion they are. Well, generalising on nearly have the population good, generalising on a subset of that half bad.
    I expect nothing less.

Jesus. London is majority white as it happens. It’s just minority British white. Many immigrants are from the EU.

It’s 60% white. It’s about 13% black, as the rest are Asian or Middle Eastern more or less.

Very few black people speak Spanish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

RIGOLO wrote: »
    There would'nt be a headline.
    Its unlikely to have made the news if the two women were straight, it would just be another minor statistic on an ever increasing crime rate in London.

It's pretty weird that ye're so upset by the fact the story got prominence. Guessing the experience will have plenty of long term effects on these two women. So the fact annoyance is what ye leap to is pretty cold.

This was clearly a homophobic attack. Clearly motivated by the sexuality of the two women.

The bullies were mocking them, trying to get them to follow orders, the couple did not follow orders. Their refusal to do as the bullies said was an excuse to attack them. I’ve heard of a guy walking home from a night out in Cork, who refused to give thugs a cigarette. They shoved a broken bottle in his face.

Get off your pink high horse.

In this case I don't think there would have been a headline if they were two straight women...considering it was a homophobic attack....why would two straight women be beaten for not putting on a lesbian preformance??

They had an issue with them being gay.Who knows? but my guess is that if these were two straight women ..these scum wouldn't have demanded a preformance

Nobelium wrote: »
    There wouldn't be one. Victims of far worse crimes every day don't make national, never mind international headlines.

So what are you suggesting..Don't report on this homophobic attack because there are worse crimes?

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    Get off your pink high horse.

I think you will find that a pink high horse is actually a unicorn:D:D

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    The bullies were mocking them, trying to get them to follow orders, the couple did not follow orders. Their refusal to do as the bullies said was an excuse to attack them. I’ve heard of a guy walking home from a night out in Cork, who refused to give thugs a cigarette. They shoved a broken bottle in his face.

This particular attack was homophobic. The “following orders” were related to their sexuality. Denying that is stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

elli21 wrote: »
    So what are you suggesting..Don't report on this homophobic attack because there are worse crimes?

Why does a homophobic attack need to be categorised?

Advertisement