Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophobic attack on London bus - mod warning, please see OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

recedite wrote: »

I unfortunately know a few people who have been mugged in Dublin. No matter who is in charge of policing in Dublin here, I’d never consider blaming them because they can’t be everywhere and scumbags will always exist. These attacks often come out of nowhere. It would be truly absurd to point any finger at the Mayor over this.

The Mayor is in charge of policing... so no assaults will ever occur in the city again? In a city of 8,000,000? Come on. That makes the kind of sense that doesn’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I'm not saying Khan is personally responsible for this attack. But when muggings like this, and knife crimes, are on the rise, ultimately the buck stops with him.
    Anyway, as I said that's just one of many angles to the story.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Agreed. These kind of skangers will always try to start up a conversation, then picking on some personal characteristic, try to escalate it into a row.
    From the victims responses, they make their decision on whether to escalate into a full on attack, or just leave and try elsewhere. They are looking for fear and weakness.

There's lots of angles the media could have chosen for this story...

They could have gone with "2 women attacked and robbed by a group of young men".

They could have gone with "foreigner and tourist attacked and robbed on London bus"

They could have gone with "public transport now unsafe under Mayor Sadiq Khan"

In the end they went with the homophobic angle, and it got a good reaction. So they'll be well pleased.

Probably because the fact that it's homophobic is very relevant.

It's 2019 and people are still being attacked viciously for being gay.

But apparently we don't need Pride parades or we don't need to be teaching children about LGBT relationships and highlighting that there's actually wrong with them.

But yeah, you blame the media and don't actually address what's actually wrong here.

Faugheen wrote: »
    But yeah, you blame the media and don't actually address what's actually wrong here.
    No, I don't blame the media, and I don't blame the victims. I blame the perpetrators.

BTW what would you do with these scumbags, now that they have apparently been caught?
    I'd put them in shackles and have them out working in the streets, doing something useful. But the bleeding heart liberals would be the first to object.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭elli21

most convicts are male.

most physicists are male.

go figure.
    It must be gay women made them so.They are being blamed for scumbag behavior ..surely we can blame them on this also :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

No, I don't blame the media, and I don't blame the victims. I blame the perpetrators.

BTW what would you do with these scumbags, now that they have apparently been caught?
    I'd put them in shackles and have them out working in the streets, doing something useful. But the bleeding heart liberals would be the first to object.

Not a chance they will be put in shackels..they are heros to the right..

Strange but talking to some Irish feels like I am talking to Ann Widdecome

I'm not saying Khan is personally responsible for this attack. But when muggings like this, and knife crimes, are on the rise, ultimately the buck stops with him.

The crime rate is increasing countrywide in the last few years and the national rate at which violent crime has climbed is a good bit higher than the rate at which it has climbed in London. That would point to a wider problem, to be honest, under the purview of the national government, I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Jobs that are useful should be done by people being paid a fair wage.

Individuals convicted of crime should be punished via incarceration and rehabilitated through education.

Two lesbian women, attacked on public transport after refusing to perform sexually for a group of male youth... and apparently raising either the fact that they were gay or women is of equal import to their having been on public transport...

That's not just transparent, it's laughable.

Jobs that are useful should be done by people being paid a fair wage.
    And criminals should stick to what they are good at - crime.
    That's one way of looking at it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

They were seen kissing, the little scumbags wanted them to do it again for their entertainment, then beat them after they refused.

I don’t care what headlines they are. This is a couple who were minding their own business then attacked by some boys for not putting on a show.

Why do you care that this is making international headlines? A gay couple was attacked?

Exactly the same thing could have happened any couple, but I doubt it would make international headlines.
    Because you are a hate-filled bigot who has shown no compassion for the couple in this attack, just questioned whether it was homophobic and bitched and moaned that it’s making headlines.

I've compassion for all victims of crime, not just certain victims of crime, and you're name calling and personal attacks says more about you and the hypocrisy of your position than it does about be.
    DubInMeath wrote: »
    Nobelium wrote: »
    Example of an attack on a straight couple at the same level as this that made international news headlines ?

Plenty of incidents make headlines in other countries

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/man-jailed-for-stabbing-ex-partner-in-neck-8wj9lfkj3

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/woman-accused-of-stabbing-attacked-another-with-a-pen-r5kbdvkdd

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/garda-needed-counselling-over-brutal-machete-murder-scene-ballincollig-cork-rbwrbb9xt

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/patrick-nevin-admits-sex-attacks-on-women-he-met-via-tinder-885qq670k

Their just some example from our nearest international neighbor of different types of crime stories that get reported

All these were more violent than the attack on the couple.
    You made the claim. The onus is on you. :D

Thanks for conceding that you can’t back up that public transport statement. Was that so difficult?

There isn't any specific ones for public transport, the point is other violent crimes happen every day on a much greater extent yet don't make the international headlines, why ?
    Who doesn’t know that murder is heinous? Does that mean lesser crimes can’t be highlighted? Muggings and assaults can be traumatising.

Yet why are ones involving a certain sexuality deserve reporting more than others ? Why are victims being classified by sexuality ?
    The day Anders Breivik massacred those children, Amy Winehouse died. I felt sad about both, to differing degrees admittedly. But both affected me. Was I not allowed to feel sad about Amy because people had been murdered that day?

The victims we're not classified by sexuality, nor was Amy Winehouse, nor should they be.
    Once more time for the cheap seats

Detective Superintendent Andy Cox said: “This was a disgusting attack on two women who appear to have been picked out and targeted by a group of youths.

"The suspects have made a number of homophobic comments towards the couple before throwing coins at them. When the women tried to reason with the group, the attack escalated to an assault.

Still doesn't say the motive was homophobic.
    Ha! An excellent point.

In the most recent ‘Milkshake’ thread, Nobelium has posted three times. None condoning the media attention on the milkshake attacks. And in the one that was started after the attack on Farage, Nobelium has 7 posts - none condoning the media attention given to the attack.

I doff my hat to you, Sir.

Again, in this case, the victims of these attacks were equally reported regardless of their sexuality.
    I thought your concern was some lesser crimes getting disproportionate attention where others don’t. You’re all over the place.

I have an equal concern for all victims of crime, not a higher concern for some over others based on their sexuality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

And criminals should stick to what they are good at - crime.
    That's one way of looking at it :)

No. It is the only proper way to look at it.

Anything else displays a distinctly elitist vision of society where the good do acceptable work, and an underclass of undesirables are forced to do the work beneath us elites.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Exactly the same thing could have happened any couple, but I doubt it would make international headlines.

Because straight couples can't be attacked for being gay, obviously.

I really don't understand why you're comparing a homophobic attack to one of a straight couple, seriously. It's absolute bollocks logic.
    I've compassion for all victims of crime, not just certain victims of crime, and you're name calling and personal attacks says more about you and the hypocrisy of your position than it does about be.

You have absolutely zero compassion for the victims here.

All you have done is bitch and moan about this story making headlines, pretend that a homophobic violent attack is nothing news-worthy 'because it could happen to straight couples' and basically try to play down this entire incident.

You post against anything left-leaning, such as the gays. Therefore you are a hate-filled bigot. If calling you what you are makes me a hypocrite then I'm quite content with that.

For you to be personally offended by that, and not even deny it, says to me that you know exactly that I'm right.

All these were more violent than the attack on the couple.

There isn't any specific ones for public transport, the point is other violent crimes happen every day on a much greater extent yet don't make the international headlines, why ?

Yet why are ones involving a certain sexuality deserve reporting more than others ? Why are victims being classified by sexuality ?

The victims we're not classified by sexuality, nor was Amy Winehouse, nor should they be.

Again, in this case, the victims of these attacks were equally reported regardless of their sexuality.

I have an equal concern for all victims of crime, not a higher concern for some over others based on their sexuality.

Why did the media attention given to a milkshake attack not bother you? You said lesser crimes being given attention bothered you. On a severity scale, the millshake attack was far less serious than that on these women. Going by your own stated objection to the media attention (that more severe crimes aren’t getting the same attention), the attention given to milkshake-flinging should bother you.

You’re waffling. I’m happy to highlight it though.

Can you show evidence that it wasn't motivated by the sexual orientation of the victims, given that the Met belive it is
    https://mobile.twitter.com/metpoliceuk/status/1136929194661863424

http://news.met.police.uk/news/fifth-arrest-made-following-homophobic-attack-on-a-bus-in-camden-372015

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Not a decade of tory cutbacks to the police force?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Can you show evidence that it wasn't motivated by the sexual orientation of the victims, given that the Met belive it is

http://news.met.police.uk/news/fifth-arrest-made-following-homophobic-attack-on-a-bus-in-camden-372015
    Met are just looking for clicks innit.

Because straight couples can't be attacked for being gay, obviously.

I really don't understand why you're comparing a homophobic attack to one of a straight couple, seriously. It's absolute bollocks logic.

You have absolutely zero compassion for the victims here.

Well actually unlike some, I don't rank victims based on their sexuality and I have sympathy for all victims of all crimes, not just some.
    All you have done is bitch and moan about this story making headlines, pretend that a homophobic violent attack is nothing news-worthy 'because it could happen to straight couples' and basically try to play down this entire incident.

You post against anything left-leaning, such as the gays. Therefore you are a hate-filled bigot. If calling you what you are makes me a hypocrite then I'm quite content with that.

For you to be personally offended by that, and not even deny it, says to me that you know exactly that I'm right.

I'm not in the lease offended, the more you call me names and attempt personal attacks against me instead of addressing the actual issue, the more it helps prove my point for me, and the more it continues to say about you and the weakness of your position, rather than me.
    Why did the media attention given to a milkshake attack not bother you? You said lesser crimes being given attention bothered you. On a severity scale, the millshake attack was far less serious than that on these women. Going by your own stated objection to the media attention (that more severe crimes aren’t getting the same attention), the attention given to milkshake-flinging should bother you.

No the actual point is victims, crimes and coverage should not be ranked based on the victims sexuality.

Unlike yourself I don't claim to know what a scroats motivation is, and nothing in your links prove it was motivated by homophobia. What is interesting though is the met refused to provide a physical description of the attackers when pushed to do so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Kenzo_

Well actually unlike some, I don't rank victims based on their sexuality and I have sympathy for all victims of all crimes, not just some.

I'm not in the lease offended, the more you call me names and attempt personal attacks against me instead of addressing the actual issue, the more it helps prove my point for me, and the more it continues to say about you and the weakness of your position, rather than me.

No the actual point is victims, crimes and coverage should not be ranked based on the victims sexuality.

Unlike yourself I don't claim to know what a scroats motivation is, and nothing in your links prove it was motivated by homophobia. What is interesting though is the met refused to provide a physical description of the attackers when pushed to do so.

Muslims confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Amsterdam is now the gay bashing capital of Europe.

This will only continue to grow and will not be challenged.

I'm not in the lease offended, the more you call me names and attempt personal attacks against me instead of the actual issue, the more it helps prove my point for me, and the more it continues to say about you and the weakness of your position, rather than me.

Pretty bad attempt at dodging the question.

According to you there was no evidence that the attack was homophobic, you stated it multiple times. Can you back it up with evidence or not.

• Advertisement

And there ladies and gentlmen we have it...

The scum that carry out this homophobic attack are not responsible..It's the brown muslims fault

Pretty bad attempt at dodging the question.

According to you there was no evidence that the attack was homophobic, you stated it multiple times. Can you back it up with evidence or not.

I'll say it slowly . . .Unlike you I don't claim to know what motivated the scroats. No evidence that the attack was actually motivated by homophobia has been provided by anyone yet, if you have it, post it.

I'll say it slowly . . .Unlike you I don't claim to know what motivated the scroats. No evidence that the attack was actually motivated by homophobia has been provided by anyone yet, if you have it, post it.

I'll say it slowly, the police are calling it a homophobic attack. Also why would they release a description of the attackers when they have cctv and most likely photos of them, they want witnesses to collaborate what they have been told and seen.

Now you could argue that the victims themselves calling it such might suit them if you have a certain mindset, and you can try to make it out to be about the colour/ethnicity of the attackers if your of a certain mindset, but spare everyone the bs that you have any sympathy.

I'll say it slowly, the police are calling it a homophobic attack. Also why would they release a description of the attackers when they have cctv and most likely photos of them, they want witnesses to collaborate what they have been told and seen.

Now you could argue that the victims themselves calling it such might suit them if you have a certain mindset, and you can try to make it out to be about the colour/ethnicity of the attackers if your of a certain mindset, but spare everyone the bs that you have any sympathy.

You can call anything, anything you like, that isn't providing evidence of what the attackers actual motive was, but post it up if you have any.

Even when there is CCTV the police will describe the attackers when calling for witnesses, but not in this case funnily enough.

This is tiresome ..but did you follow the story and listen to the two women?

IF you did you would know it was a homophopic attack.It is what it is.If they wanted to rob them.they could have...but they demanded two gay women put on a lesbian preformance for them...how are people not seeing that these two womens sexuailty had everything to do with this attack

elli21 wrote: »
    This is tiresome ..but did you follow the story and listen to the two women?

IF you did you would know it was a homophopic attack.It is what it is.If they wanted to rob them.they could have...but they demanded two gay women put on a lesbian preformance for them...how are people not seeing that these two womens sexuailty had everything to do with this attack

If some scumbags started goading and harassing any other couple to put on a show for them, would this suddenly be evidence that they were motivated by hetrophobia ?

You can call anything, anything you like, that isn't providing evidence of what the attackers actual motive was, but post it up if you have any.

Even when there is CCTV the police will describe the attackers when calling for witnesses, but not in this case funnily enough.

Still dodging the question, you stated multiple times that the motivation wasn't homophobic, the police are calling it as such, so where is your evidence that they are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

elli21 wrote: »
    And there ladies and gentlmen we have it...

The scum that carry out this homophobic attack are not responsible..It's the brown muslims fault

Are you saying this has nothing to do with the London Mayors total failure in his role.
    Hes made a balls of London,too busy virtue signalling about John Cleese and Donald trump.
    Knife crime up by 50% since he took over,burglaries up over 30%,he spent £10million on police officers to do a test that gave their personalities a colour for fcuk sake.
    If there was a competent mayor these horrible homophobic attacks would be less likely because the scum wouldnt have the freedom of london to do as they please.

But no,all too easy for you and you ilk to cry wah wah wah look hes blaming brown people:rolleyes:

If some scumbags started goading and harassing any other couple to put on a show for them, would this suddenly be evidence that they were motivated by hetrophobia ?
    Tell me one time you have seen a straight couple being attacked for not putting on a preformance for them.Betweeen South Africa ..Botswana ..germany ..Holland never seen it.

The more this behaviour is normanlised the more common it will become

• Advertisement

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Are you saying this has nothing to do with the London Mayors total failure in his role.
    Hes made a balls of London,too busy virtue signalling about John Cleese and Donald trump.
    Knife crime up by 50% since he took over,burglaries up over 30%,he spent £10million on police officers to do a test that gave their personalities a colour for fcuk sake.
    If there was a competent mayor these horrible homophobic attacks would be less likely because the scum wouldnt have the freedom of london to do as they please.

But no,all too easy for you and you ilk to cry wah wah wah look hes blaming brown people:rolleyes:

Yes I am saying this disgusting homophobic attack had nothing to with Khan.The only people resposile for this crime are those who commited the crime..

You sound like one of those parents who blame everthing on others and maybe if they had a skateboarding park..

Give me a break :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Advertisement