Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 DCM (& Limerick & Berlin) Graduates Log: How far can we go?

1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Having an easy pace of 7min/km and a HM pace of 7.30min/km doesn't really add up? If 7.30/km is truly your HM pace then your easy runs are much too fast.

+1 to this. The 'conversational pace' idea is a bit of a red herring. I had a chat with Coogy at HM pace, a chat with Unthought Known in DCM and a bit of chat with a random person at the Terenure 5 mile. It's not a good way of deciding if a pace really is easy. If you ran close to the best you could in the HM then your easy runs are way too fast. Slowing them down will actually make you faster in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Thanks Swashbuckler and skyblue46. My pace of 7min/km is over a distance of up to 10 km or so. I can manage 16km in 2 hours at a comfortable pace which is why I was focusing on a 7.30/km for a Half distance with the hope that I can complete it at that speed. I probably didn't explain it well hence the confusion. I will slow all my runs right down during the training as advised. Thanks.

Do you think a 8.15/8.30min/km would be the pace to do the LSR to help me get the result I want in September?

gypsylee wrote: »
    Thanks Swashbuckler and skyblue46. My pace of 7min/km is over a distance of up to 10 km or so. I can manage 16km in 2 hours at a comfortable pace which is why I was focusing on a 7.30/km for a Half distance with the hope that I can complete it at that speed. I probably didn't explain it well hence the confusion. I will slow all my runs right down during the training as advised. Thanks.

Do you think a 8.15/8.30min/km would be the pace to do the LSR to help me get the result I want in September?

For now while the training distances are still relatively short I'd base training paces at the paces your 10k time of just under 60 mins would indicate. That would be 8-8:15 for easy days and 8:20-9:00 for recovery or very easy runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

skyblue46 wrote: »
    For now while the training distances are still relatively short I'd base training paces at the paces your 10k time of just under 60 mins would indicate. That would be 8-8:15 for easy days and 8:20-9:00 for recovery or very easy runs.

Thanks S. I will run all training runs very slow and hopefully I will see the benefit in September. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

I've been a bit pre occupied with shorter runs and the 5k series and with holidays and time has kinda snuck up on me.

So I suppose it's about time I pick a marathon plan.....

I did hal higdon last year and I know by right I should be doing the boards plan this year..... But I just don't think I could do 5 runs a week, mentally or physically and the last thing I want is to start hating to HAVE to go for RUNS and resent it.

So I was looking at the hal higdon Novice 2 plan (I think that's the name) or is there any other 4 day training week plan recommendations??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Helenasca wrote: »
    I've been a bit pre occupied with shorter runs and the 5k series and with holidays and time has kinda snuck up on me.

I did hal higdon last year and I know by right I should be doing the boards plan this year..... But I just don't think I could do 5 runs a week, mentally or physically and the last thing I want is to start hating to HAVE to go for RUNS and resent it.

So I was looking at the hal higdon Novice 2 plan (I think that's the name) or is there any other 4 day training week plan recommendations??

eeK I'm starting to think of plans too....... Can't believe it's that time of year already! Getting out training was so much easier last year with the sunshine.........

One of the things that is really off-putting for me with the plans is the set structure. Last year it really helped me to have a target mileage but not a set five day routine where I had to reach a certain mileage each day (except for the long run and a session which were set in terms of miles) - so I had a bit of leeway around when I could get the mileage in.

Maybe you could work around one of the easy days on the boards plan but make up mileage elsewhere??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Helenasca wrote: »

I suppose it depends on what you want out of the marathon itself. If you are just looking to go and have a nice trot round the route and not looking for a major PB or anything then why not stick with Hal Higdon again? However, remember that the 5th (or any extra) day’s in Boards are done at recovery pace so super easy and short too. They are real no pressure runs.

I did Hal Higdon Marathon 3 for Cork last year and it got me round but that is all. There was no improvement in time or anything like that. If I had tweaked the plan a bit adding more MP miles into long runs or whatever there may have been an improvement but as a basic plan it just got me round.

What are you hoping to do on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Signed up today for next week's Docklands 5k. Any other takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

Thanks for the input hedgehoggy and Kellygirl. I suppose I do want a better finish than last year. I'd aimed for 4.30 and got 4.46 so I'm not toooo far off it that's easy to say now when you're not actually running it yet. I think I'll sit down and look at the boards plan again and try to figure it out in my head and hopefully I'll be able to convince myself that it's manageable 😂

Hello all. Hope your respective training plans are going well for whatever your target race might be.

I've been trawling through the various running threads here, looking for one that's specific to a 3:30 marathon target time.

I came across one or two that were started with good intentions by other Boardsies but came to a sudden halt and have been dormant for the last number of years.

In light of my recent decision to aim for a 3:30 finish at DCM, it was in my mind to start up a new thread aimed at anyone with a similar target time.

Would anyone be interested in this or find it useful? Part of me is thinking I should just stick to updating my own log and record everything there.
    I know there's an active 'sub-4' thread but wasn't sure whether it would be appropriate for me to be posting stuff there, even though a 3:30 finish time is technically sub-4........

Any thoughts on the above would be welcome!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Training is going great buddy....loving every run and every mile....hopefully this motivation lasts till October.

3:30?? Sorry can't help, too rich for my blood! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

coogy wrote: »
    Hello all. Hope your respective training plans are going well for whatever your target race might be.

I've been trawling through the various running threads here, looking for one that's specific to a 3:30 marathon target time.

I came across one or two that were started with good intentions by other Boardsies but came to a sudden halt and have been dormant for the last number of years.

In light of my recent decision to aim for a 3:30 finish at DCM, it was in my mind to start up a new thread aimed at anyone with a similar target time.

Would anyone be interested in this or find it useful? Part of me is thinking I should just stick to updating my own log and record everything there.
    I know there's an active 'sub-4' thread but wasn't sure whether it would be appropriate for me to be posting stuff there, even though a 3:30 finish time is technically sub-4........

Any thoughts on the above would be welcome!!!

Marathon Improvers Thread is aimed at 3.30 or lower roughly.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Marathon Improvers Thread is aimed at 3.30 or lower roughly.

Thanks for that, got the heads up earlier......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Thanks for that, got the heads up earlier......:)

No bother, loads of great info in that thread to help. Best of luck & more than capable of achieving that goal if you get the training right.

Ok, so I was thinking that between now and DCM, I'd like to get in probably another two races.
    Distance-wise, I was looking at a 10k (not sure which) and a 10 mile (more than likely Kilcock). After running Ratoath half last year I promised myself I'd return but that would mean two half marathons in 2019.
    Would there be any harm in replacing either the 10k or 10 mile with another half marathon?

Ok, so I was thinking that between now and DCM, I'd like to get in probably another two races.
    Distance-wise, I was looking at a 10k (not sure which) and a 10 mile (more than likely Kilcock). After running Ratoath half last year I promised myself I'd return but that would mean two half marathons in 2019.
    Would there be any harm in replacing either the 10k or 10 mile with another half marathon?

Another half marathon might be a good gauge of progress from the earlier one in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Rossi7

When are you planning on your half

Rossi7 wrote: »
    When are you planning on your half

Ratoath half is on 14th September, about a month after the planned 10 mile. Worried itll be too short a recovery time between the two.
    Might see if theres anything in early August.

Frank Duffy 10M and the DCM half are a month apart, most marathon plans have these included in the plan so I don't see the harm of you racing both a month apart

Frank Duffy 10M and the DCM half are a month apart, most marathon plans have these included in the plan so I don't see the harm of you racing both a month apart

Yeah, I didn't think about that! You doing either one/both?

• Advertisement

I've just signed up for the Race Series K, that will do me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'm doing two HM's in the build up... Clonmel which is the same weekend as the FD 10, and the race series half. I figure it's ok to do both.

K I think if you're only doing 2 then do the 10 mile and the half. Doing the 3 would be fine too. I get Hedgehoggy's point about gauging progress but I would advise against worrying about that. Remember you'll be in the middle of a plan. The half might go brilliantly well, it might not. I ran a horrible stinker of a half in Ratoath which showed no progress from my effort 5 months previously but it was an unreliable guide to the marathon I was to actually run.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    K I think if you're only doing 2 then do the 10 mile and the half. Doing the 3 would be fine too. I get Hedgehoggy's point about gauging progress but I would advise against worrying about that. Remember you'll be in the middle of a plan. The half might go brilliantly well, it might not. I ran a horrible stinker of a half in Ratoath which showed no progress from my effort 5 months previously but it was an unreliable guide to the marathon I was to actually run.

Thats actually a very good point. Hadn't thought about it that way. The main thing is the marathon and training will be leading to that not a half, so not necessarily a guide for the marathon!

Thanks for the responses folks.
    I guess I was just drawn to the 10k race option given that the majority of my 60 minute runs since the beginning of the year are this exact distance but obviously, it's not an ideal basis on which to run a race of the same distance.
    10 mile and half marathon distances would suit me fine.

Advertisement