Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 DCM (& Limerick & Berlin) Graduates Log: How far can we go?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

skyblue46 wrote:
    I'd use the first 3k as an easy warm up and then time trial the last 2k.

Oh that's a nice idea! And still gives me my parkrun fix :)
    Thanks S!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'm sure racing Parkrun wouldn't kill you but if it was me I'd go with the mini taper that's in the plan. The 2k time trial is a nice sharpener and confidence booster and won't take much recovering from.

I'd use the first 3k as an easy warm up and then time trial the last 2k.

Im in the same scerario. Is the 2k time trial at target race pace?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Omeceron wrote: »
    Im in the same scerario. Is the 2k time trial at target race pace?

No it's faster. A time trial is basically you running the 2k in your best possible time. I put a 5k time into the race time predictor and aimed for the 2k predicted time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Hi all,

Long term reader in here but first time poster.

Just a quick question on hills and maybe repeat intervals.

I have a route that I can fit in once every week or 2 depending on work that goes around a wind farm that rises from a starting point of 100m to a peak of 220m. With all the side tracks and trails you could literally do any distance run in various loops.
    Because of the undulating nature of the hill the course is constantly giving you a mix of gentle and hard inclines, flats and of course welcoming down hill bits.

Instead of treating this as a looped run would I be better to mix things up and do hill repeats on a particularly steep section instead? I think the steepest bit has something like a 12% incline.
    If I were to do this ideally what timing or distance should I be aiming for with these repeats? Or should I just continue running natural loops and concentrate on putting an extra effort into the inclines and treating the flatter or downhill sections as recovery?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Ok, silly question alert! Can someone explain hill repeats to me please? Am I right in thinking that you do a warm up run for 1k or so, then run up the hill fast, run back down slowly, recover for 2/3 mins and then run up the hill again? During the recovery part do you run slowly up and down the road at the bottom of the hill until it it time to run the hill again or what do you do during the recovery part? Told you it was a silly question! I would like to try hill repeats but want to do them right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

gypsylee wrote: »
    Ok, silly question alert! Can someone explain hill repeats to me please? Am I right in thinking that you do a warm up run for 1k or so, then run up the hill fast, run back down slowly, recover for 2/3 mins and then run up the hill again? During the recovery part do you run slowly up and down the road at the bottom of the hill until it it time to run the hill again or what do you do during the recovery part? Told you it was a silly question! I would like to try hill repeats but want to do them right.

Do whatever warm up you normally do before a session, then run up your hill as fast as you can making sure to concentrate on form to and not to get to ragged, your recovery is the jog back down said hill then straight into the next one without any additional recovery at the bottom. Try hit the same point at the top of the hill each time or a bit further.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Thanks for that OOnegative, that's very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

gypsylee wrote: »
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Do whatever warm up you normally do before a session, then run up your hill as fast as you can making sure to concentrate on form to and not to get to ragged, your recovery is the jog back down said hill then straight into the next one without any additional recovery at the bottom. Try hit the same point at the top of the hill each time or a bit further.

I set it up on my watch with 1 minute running up the hill and then 3 minutes to recover but I actually press the lap button when I’m ready to run the hill again as opposed the waiting for the 3 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

This thread has been very quiet the last few days.....

....so who's going to be the DCM 2019 Novices Mentor? I do believe we're almost at that time again :eek::pac:

....so who's going to be the DCM 2019 Novices Mentor? I do believe we're almost at that time again :eek::pac:

How is the new Mentor picked J, always wondered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

How is the new Mentor picked J, always wondered?

For the last couple of years anyway, what has happened is roughly thus:-

One of the mods will contact the previous year's mentor, asking for a nomination for his/her successor. In 2017 and 2018, that contact was made roughly around now. Once they get that info back, the mod will then contact the intended mentor. If he/she agrees to take on the role, we have a winner, and that's when the real fun begins, as the new mentor starts the thread and hence sets the ball rolling, on what for the last number of years has been the busiest and the best thread in A/R here. In advance, I'd like to wish whoever takes it on the very best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Ooh I’m looking forward to that thread starting again!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

I think everyone is too busy getting pb’s-some fantastic pb’s even as recent as the GIR!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    I think everyone is too busy getting pb’s-some fantastic pb’s even as recent as the GIR!

Subtle Dealerz2. 0! Ha!

Seeing as it’s coming up to that time and most Grads who have hung around post DCM now have there own logs, i’ll bow out now. It’s been fantastic following all you progress and here’s to many, many more years of the same. I hope I helped you out with your queries and questions and the knowledge or advice I imparted helped you out.

Look forward to following your logs and seeing many more PB’s posted as the years go on. If any of you need advice don’t hesitate to ask, as I said from the beginning if I don’t know I won’t answer but will do my best to point you in the right direction. Thanks to juke for asking me to help out & thanks for accepting me folks. Best of luck to the DCM 2019 mentor, happy running folks and as I say run well!!

Thanks for all your help- very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Seeing as it’s coming up to that time and most Grads who have hung around post DCM now have there own logs, i’ll bow out now. It’s been fantastic following all you progress and here’s to many, many more years of the same. I hope I helped you out with your queries and questions and the knowledge or advice I imparted helped you out.

Look forward to following your logs and seeing many more PB’s posted as the years go on. If any of you need advice don’t hesitate to ask, as I said from the beginning if I don’t know I won’t answer but will do my best to point you in the right direction. Thanks to juke for asking me to help out & thanks for accepting me folks. Best of luck to the DCM 2019 mentor, happy running folks and as I say run well!!

What?
    You can't just resign! :eek: :mad: You think we have a clue yet?

Thanks B, you've been epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Thanks so much for your valuable advice and thoughts up to now, it's certainly helped me no end!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Thanks for all your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Thanks a million B! You're endlessly supportive and encouraging, both here and in the logs. It's appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Thanks so much OOnegative. Your advice and guidance won't be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Thanks for the advice OOnegative! Hope everyone is getting on well with their training! I've been very lazy the last month, but just bk from a holiday so planning on taking on a base plan before building for DCM..... eeeek!

So, does anyone know when we might expect to find out who's next in line to the throne? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

coogy wrote: »
    So, does anyone know when we might expect to find out who's next in line to the throne? :D

I went out this morning (2k time trial) and thought 'this is definitely mentored novice weather...'

Hi folks........

Would be interested to hear from any of the 2017 Grads who went on to use the Base plan/10k-Half marathon/Intermediate marathon plans and how they managed the timing of these in the run up their follow-up DCM.

I am about to commence week 10 of the 10k-Half marathon plan and all being well, I will be done by 26th May. I would then do the 6 week Base plan before starting the Intermediate plan.
    There will be still two weeks to go to DCM by the time I am scheduled to complete the Intermediate plan so I'm I'm guessing it would be better to time it in such a way that the end of the Intermediate plan takes me right up to DCM?
    Any advice as to how these two weeks should be managed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Hi folks........

Would be interested to hear from any of the 2017 Grads who went on to use the Base plan/10k-Half marathon/Intermediate marathon plans and how they managed the timing of these in the run up their follow-up DCM.

I am about to commence week 10 of the 10k-Half marathon plan and all being well, I will be done by 26th May. I would then do the 6 week Base plan before starting the Intermediate plan.
    There will be still two weeks to go to DCM by the time I am scheduled to complete the Intermediate plan so I'm I'm guessing it would be better to time it in such a way that the end of the Intermediate plan takes me right up to DCM?

I worked it out that I'll start the 14 week DCM intermediate plan on the week of July 22nd, in order to take me right up to DCM, so that's your starting point.

Do you have a target race at the end of the 10k/Half plan? If so, then a weeks recovery after that, then the 6-week base plan, and an off-plan do-what-you-want-week after the base plan to take you to the start of the DCM plan? Or just pad the base plan out to a 7th week with a race in the middle of it?

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I worked it out that I'll start the 14 week DCM intermediate plan on the week of July 22nd, in order to take me right up to DCM, so that's your starting point.

Do you have a target race at the end of the 10k/Half plan? If so, then a weeks recovery after that, then the 6-week base plan, and an off-plan do-what-you-want-week after the base plan to take you to the start of the DCM plan? Or just pad the base plan out to a 7th week with a race in the middle of it?

I love it when a plan comes together!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Hi folks........

Well K I followed the plans from January to October. Target the marathon plan to take you right up to DCM as A suggested. I would strongly suggest a race at the end of the half plan you are doing. I say this for 2 reasons. 1) You may need to change training paces 2) a race will encourage a little bit of recovery time which is very important

I would find a race on the weekend of the 26th of May. After that I would do two weeks of easy only running before then doing base and intermediate plans.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Well K I followed the plans from January to October. Target the marathon plan to take you right up to DCM as A suggested. I would strongly suggest a race at the end of the half plan you are doing. I say this for 2 reasons. 1) You may need to change training paces 2) a race will encourage a little bit of recovery time which is very important

I would find a race on the weekend of the 26th of May. After that I would do two weeks of easy only running before then doing base and intermediate plans.

Thanks S.
    Yeah, that certainly sounds like a wise approach. I was saving the training paces question for another day but you've just answered it for me!! :D

There's the Windmill Run (10k) on 26th May which looks like a well established event. Are you familiar with it at all?

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

Thanks A. Am a lot clearer about it now. Have a race in mind (see response to S above) so will take that on once I'm done with the current training block and then recover followed by 6 week base plan/14 week training block/DCM.

It's all getting very exciting. :)

Advertisement