Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

2018 DCM (& Limerick & Berlin) Graduates Log: How far can we go?

11112131416

Comments



  • Argh, just remembered my son's communion is on 25th May.
    The following weekend is my wife's birthday AND my nieces 21st.

    Let the negotiations begin.......




  • Just a flow on from Coogy's dilemma.
    I'm just looking at the calendar and plan on starting a 16 week plan on July 1st for DCM19.

    Ideally one would have a half marathon race done in the lead up to this block to give an idea on pacing of the various runs. There isn't really any race handy for me to do around that time so what would be people's thoughts on "racing" a half marathon in your own time by yourself around that time?




  • coogy wrote: »
    Thanks S.
    Yeah, that certainly sounds like a wise approach. I was saving the training paces question for another day but you've just answered it for me!! :D

    There's the Windmill Run (10k) on 26th May which looks like a well established event. Are you familiar with it at all?

    Ok you can only go with the dates you have free but based on last year's results it looks a very shallow field. Is there no 10 mile or HM on around those dates?




  • Just a flow on from Coogy's dilemma.
    I'm just looking at the calendar and plan on starting a 16 week plan on July 1st for DCM19.

    Ideally one would have a half marathon race done in the lead up to this block to give an idea on pacing of the various runs. There isn't really any race handy for me to do around that time so what would be people's thoughts on "racing" a half marathon in your own time by yourself around that time?

    Right so I haven't been controversial in ages so I'll start now! Haha. I just recently started following you on Strava and I can't help but notice that all runs are a touch under 8 min miles. They're the easy paces of a certain 2:52 runner. What time are you aiming for this year?

    I wouldn't feel the need to do a half before the plan starts. Mimic the race series and do gradually increasing race distances during the plan.

    Most importantly start doing genuinely easy runs. It's the slow stuff, both long and short, that makes the physiological improvement which helps avoid hitting problems at mile 20/21/22.




  • skyblue46 wrote: »
    Right so I haven't been controversial in ages so I'll start now! Haha. I just recently started following you on Strava and I can't help but notice that all runs are a touch under 8 min miles. They're the easy paces of a certain 2:52 runner. What time are you aiming for this year?

    I wouldn't feel the need to do a half before the plan starts. Mimic the race series and do gradually increasing race distances during the plan.

    Most importantly start doing genuinely easy runs. It's the slow stuff, both long and short, that makes the physiological improvement which helps avoid hitting problems at mile 20/21/22.

    Thanks S. Yeah I'm a disaster when I try to do easy runs and it's something I definitely need to work on.

    I go out with the actual intention of doing them slow but I start daydreaming and visualising sections of dcm19 with the chariots of fire tune looping through my head and unintentionally i find my pace has increased!!

    This lack of concentration cost me last year when I ended up doing the long weekend runs way too fast despite your guidance and continued rule on the novices thread. I really should have signed up to Strava last year and I know I wouldn't have suffered in those last 6 miles.

    I don't have a time in mind yet for dcm. I got a 1 33 hm last month and would hope to go close if not dip under 90 mins later this year. The way to do that I know and feel is to follow your advice on the easy pace runs.

    Thanks again S, will have to be careful about what I upload to Strava in future!!


  • Advertisement


  • Thanks S. Yeah I'm a disaster when I try to do easy runs and it's something I definitely need to work on.

    I go out with the actual intention of doing them slow but I start daydreaming and visualising sections of dcm19 with the chariots of fire tune looping through my head and unintentionally i find my pace has increased!!

    This lack of concentration cost me last year when I ended up doing the long weekend runs way too fast despite your guidance and continued rule on the novices thread. I really should have signed up to Strava last year and I know I wouldn't have suffered in those last 6 miles.

    I don't have a time in mind yet for dcm. I got a 1 33 hm last month and would hope to go close if not dip under 90 mins later this year. The way to do that I know and feel is to follow your advice on the easy pace runs.

    Thanks again S, will have to be careful about what I upload to Strava in future!!

    No doubt you will dip under 90 minutes! You're already faster than me over that distance and you will get under 3:15 for DCM if you train smart. 2 days with stuff, 1 long run (most of them slow but some with MP miles or fast finishes), everything else nice and easy... 8:30/8:40




  • skyblue46 wrote: »
    Ok you can only go with the dates you have free but based on last year's results it looks a very shallow field. Is there no 10 mile or HM on around those dates?

    Slim pickings I'm afraid S. tbh I don't think that one I mentioned is even an option for me now.
    There's a BHAA 5 mile race in Dunboyne on 28th May which I might have to settle for.




  • Hey folks. Just wanted your thoughts on something if that was ok. I'm looking at the calendar here figuring out start dates for the remaining training plans before DCM. This is my last week of the 10k-half plan.
    I have the Dunboyne 5 mile the week after before I take on the 6 week base plan again and then the 14 week marathon plan. I have 2 "spare" weeks in between. Do you think it's wise to time it in such a way that the 14 week marathon plan brings me right up to the week of DCM? It would allow me a week off (of sorts) before starting each of the plans.......
    TIA.




  • If you feel your body needs a rest then I’d just do easy running or even give yourself a week of easy running between base and marathon plan?




  • Just thought I'd keep the thread ticking over as it's been VERY quiet of late.

    Anyone have anything in the diary, race-wise over the coming month?

    Am starting with the 6 week base plan next week (looking forward to those hill sessions again!), the final week of which will be done during the first of a 2 week holiday in Portugal. Not sure whether to go straight into the Intermediate marathon plan or wait till the following week when I return from hols. The latter option will bring me straight into the week of DCM.

    Anyway, for June, will be looking at doing one of the following:
    Docklands 5k,
    Clonee 10k
    Irish Runner 5 mile (now that I have a shiny new PB to beat! :D)

    Would also be interested to hear what plans others are using for their marathons this year.


  • Advertisement


  • coogy wrote: »
    Just thought I'd keep the thread ticking over as it's been VERY quiet of late.

    Anyone have anything in the diary, race-wise over the coming month?

    Am starting with the 6 week base plan next week (looking forward to those hill sessions again!), the final week of which will be done during the first of a 2 week holiday in Portugal. Not sure whether to go straight into the Intermediate marathon plan or wait till the following week when I return from hols. The latter option will bring me straight into the week of DCM.

    Anyway, for June, will be looking at doing one of the following:
    Docklands 5k,
    Clonee 10k
    Irish Runner 5 mile (now that I have a shiny new PB to beat! :D)

    Would also be interested to hear what plans others are using for their marathons this year.

    Hey coogy, I have signed up for the race series 10 mile and the athletics 10 mile. I have my eye on a half marathon in kerry but haven't booked it yet. The rock n roll half would fall very nicely into my training plan but I just can't bring myself to sign up after last year. I was also looking at the Clontarf half but remember reading some reviews of it last year that has held me back from entering this year. If anyone can recommend a good HM I'd really appreciate it. I don't mind travelling.

    I'm following an intermediate plan for Berlin.




  • Hey coogy, I have signed up for the race series 10 mile and the athletics 10 mile. I have my eye on a half marathon in kerry but haven't booked it yet. The rock n roll half would fall very nicely into my training plan but I just can't bring myself to sign up after last year. I was also looking at the Clontarf half but remember reading some reviews of it last year that has held me back from entering this year. If anyone can recommend a good HM I'd really appreciate it. I don't mind travelling.

    Just to be nosey, which Kerry HM?




  • Hey coogy, I have signed up for the race series 10 mile and the athletics 10 mile. I have my eye on a half marathon in kerry but haven't booked it yet. The rock n roll half would fall very nicely into my training plan but I just can't bring myself to sign up after last year. I was also looking at the Clontarf half but remember reading some reviews of it last year that has held me back from entering this year. If anyone can recommend a good HM I'd really appreciate it. I don't mind travelling.

    I'm following an intermediate plan for Berlin.

    Hi L, wouldn't have been this review by any chance?

    That was ferocious. Never again for me, I'm afraid - only maybe the winter one, at a push. Can't handle hot weather anyway, but that day was something else.




  • Just to be nosey, which Kerry HM?

    The Brandon Bay HM....




  • The Brandon Bay HM....

    It was one I had marked down myself (or the 10k) as a possibility but decided against. Lovely spot down there though.




  • Hey coogy, I have signed up for the race series 10 mile and the athletics 10 mile. I have my eye on a half marathon in kerry but haven't booked it yet. The rock n roll half would fall very nicely into my training plan but I just can't bring myself to sign up after last year. I was also looking at the Clontarf half but remember reading some reviews of it last year that has held me back from entering this year. If anyone can recommend a good HM I'd really appreciate it. I don't mind travelling.

    Come to Tullamore L :) HM is 31st August




  • Glad this is getting a revival k,

    From now till DCM I have the following plans:

    Base building (adjusting a few weeks for for some half marathon training) till mid June
    Racing the clontarf half July 6th
    Starting the training block for DCM following P&D 18 week up to 55miles plan.

    Have signed up for frank Duffy and race series half in the build up.




  • I’m base building at the moment. Going on holidays at the end of June and then starting into a 17-week plan for DCM. I’ll follow a Hanson plan again as it worked well for me last year but still undecided as to which one. The main downside to Hanson plans is they don’t really allow for racing in the build up but I’d like to squeeze at least a 10-mile in.




  • Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Glad this is getting a revival k,

    From now till DCM I have the following plans:

    Base building (adjusting a few weeks for for some half marathon training) till mid June
    Racing the clontarf half July 6th
    Starting the training block for DCM following P&D 18 week up to 55miles plan.

    Have signed up for frank Duffy and race series half in the build up.


    I'll definitely do another half before DCM but just trying to decide which. I'm more drawn towards the slightly lower key events on the race calendar so doing Ratoath again would suit me down to the ground and I'd love to go one better after last year. I'm not sure though that it meets the criteria for the quality of post-race refreshments which seems to have become a deciding factor of late......;)




  • For the next six weeks I'll have a few more 5k-10k races, with my regular training fitting in around those.
    Then it will be into the grads intermediate plan for DCM. I'll do the Clonmel HM again this year at the end of August. Not sure at the moment if I'll have another race during during the marathon block.


  • Advertisement


  • coogy wrote: »
    I'll definitely do another half before DCM but just trying to decide which. I'm more drawn towards the slightly lower key events on the race calendar so doing Ratoath again would suit me down to the ground and I'd love to go one better after last year. I'm not sure though that it meets the criteria for the quality of post-race refreshments which seems to have become a deciding factor of late......;)

    I’ll definitely do a few more races besides above, just haven’t planned which ones yet




  • I'm starting the lowest mileage HM plan from Faster Road Racing this Monday (all going well). I'll be starting each week on the Sunday as opposed to the Monday because it will just suit my midweek better, and the HM at the end is on a Saturday anyway. In the lead up to Tullamore, I'll be running Docklands 5k, Day of Irish PBs, Edenderry 10 mile and contemplating something 10/11 Aug as they have tune-up races on the plan. That would be either the RnR 10k (pricy) or Streets of Galway 8k (bit of a trek). Plenty of time to decide on those though!
    Excited to get back into a plan :)




  • ReeReeG wrote: »
    Come to Tullamore L :) HM is 31st August

    I had gone to book that one when I saw the date. Its my sons birthday so no hope of attending it.
    Thanks for the suggestion though.




  • Hi L, wouldn't have been this review by any chance?

    That was ferocious. Never again for me, I'm afraid - only maybe the winter one, at a push. Can't handle hot weather anyway, but that day was something else.

    Quite possibly along with some others!!




  • As most of you know I am a slow runner. My goal for the year is to finish the Half in September in under 2 hour 35 mins. This means a 7.30 minute km pace which should be doable. I have run four Halfs and my PB is 2 hour 36 mins. My easy pace at the minute is a 7 minute km. I ran my last 5 km race in April in 29 mins 35 seconds. What pace should I run my LSR during the plan at? Usually my LSR pace is 7.30 min but as this will be my race pace should I go even slower?




  • gypsylee wrote: »
    As most of you know I am a slow runner. My goal for the year is to finish the Half in September in under 2 hour 35 mins. This means a 7.30 minute km pace which should be doable. I have run four Halfs and my PB is 2 hour 36 mins. My easy pace at the minute is a 7 minute km. I ran my last 5 km race in April in 29 mins 35 seconds. What pace should I run my LSR during the plan at? Usually my LSR pace is 7.30 min but as this will be my race pace should I go even slower?

    Based on that 5km time the runfastcoach calculator puts your easy pace at 8:13-8:31, so I'd go with that. 7 min/km seems way too fast, where did that come from?




  • Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Based on that 5km time the runfastcoach calculator puts your easy pace at 8:13-8:31, so I'd go with that. 7 min/km seems way too fast, where did that come from?

    Hi A. I probably worded it wrong, the 7 min pace is the pace I find easy to run at, i.e. not out of breath, can hold a conversation etc. so I run most of my training runs at that pace. 8.30 seems like a very slow pace but if that is what is suggested I will try it. Thanks.




  • gypsylee wrote: »
    Hi A. I probably worded it wrong, the 7 min pace is the pace I find easy to run at, i.e. not out of breath, can hold a conversation etc. so I run most of my training runs at that pace. 8.30 seems like a very slow pace but if that is what is suggested I will try it. Thanks.

    Are you following a particular plan for the half?




  • Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Are you following a particular plan for the half?

    I will be following Hal Higdon Half Marathon Novice 2 Plan.


  • Advertisement


  • gypsylee wrote:
    As most of you know I am a slow runner. My goal for the year is to finish the Half in September in under 2 hour 35 mins. This means a 7.30 minute km pace which should be doable. I have run four Halfs and my PB is 2 hour 36 mins. My easy pace at the minute is a 7 minute km. I ran my last 5 km race in April in 29 mins 35 seconds. What pace should I run my LSR during the plan at? Usually my LSR pace is 7.30 min but as this will be my race pace should I go even slower?

    Having an easy pace of 7min/km and a HM pace of 7.30min/km doesn't really add up? If 7.30/km is truly your HM pace then your easy runs are much too fast.


Advertisement