Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ticketmaster problem

Options
  • 04-06-2019 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help me understand what happened here?

I bought 2 hard copy tickets from an adverts user Sunday night for forbidden fruit on Monday. Seemed a nice guy, lots of positive feedback, tickets were attached to each other and receipt etc in the ticket Master gift box.
    We get to the gig and I separate the tickets to give the other to my friend as we move through bag check.
    He gets stopped and told his ticket was scanned in already that day at 3.30pm. This was at 7.30pm and the tickets had been in my possession all day.

They would not listen to what we told them. Gate people said whoever sold them to us must have taken a picture of the ticket and used the barcode. We went to ticket Master and they laughed at us, repeatedly telling me we had used that ticket earlier in the day. When I told them what they had said at the gate that someone had taken a picture of the ticket before selling it to me, initially hey said that couldn't have happened. Then later when I argued our case he said someone could have taken a picture and blagged in at the gate saying they forgot the hard copy.

We ended up buying another ticket and using the one that worked. Decided if we had been scammed best bet would be to use the one that worked and pay again for the other.

I called the guy that sold me the tickets and spoke to him, he swears blind he has no idea what happened and is now accusing me of scamming him since we actually went to the gig!

How could someone have "used" a hard copy ticket I had in my possession? Is it possible to copy and then legitimately use a copy of a physical ticket?
    Is there any way of getting to the bottom of it?
    I have this guys name, address, phone number etc but why would he hand over that info if scamming me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Granite Head

Was there a full picture of the ticket on Adverts? Been known for the bar codes to be copied from the screen.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Sprints, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine, Therapy, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Amble

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Was there a full picture of the ticket on Adverts? Been known for the bar codes to be copied from the screen.

I have seen loads like this on adverts, I was looking for some to buy and was put off as I thought they could be copied. I reported the sale too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Yes! Omg I thought buying hard copies was safest way to go about it. That's a nightmare I'll talk to the guy I bought them from to get a refund for one.
    Ticketmaster are a horrible bunch. Will not be dealing with them again that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

A few years ago we were going to a gig in the Olympia but had lost the tickets, only discovered this on the day of the gig which was a Sunday. We went to the box office in the Olympia, the girl at the desk swiped the card I'd used to pay and printed off two new ones.

Perhaps he went to a TM outlet, said his originals were lost or stolen and got them to reprint them, selling you either the originals or the duplicates?

Either way it's a scummy act so please make sure you contact adverts and explain you were scammed, they should hopefully ban his account.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

lolo62 wrote: »
    Ticketmaster are a horrible bunch. Will not be dealing with them again that's for sure.

They are a horrible bunch but not for reasons you say. You never had a contract with them in the first place, the issue seems to be with the person who sold the tickets to you, either because they or someone they know got scanned in with it, or by the seller making it easy on their ad for someone to get the code.

Unfortunately throughout the world Ticketmaster have what's essentially a monopoly on gigs so you will have to deal with them again at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

A few years ago we were going to a gig in the Olympia but had lost the tickets, only discovered this on the day of the gig which was a Sunday. We went to the box office in the Olympia, the girl at the desk swiped the card I'd used to pay and printed off two new ones.

Perhaps he went to a TM outlet, said his originals were lost or stolen and got them to reprint them, selling you either the originals or the duplicates?

Either way it's a scummy act so please make sure you contact adverts and explain you were scammed, they should hopefully ban his account.

But one ticket worked so if the person was scamming then surely they would of cancelled both tickets no?

I would definitely agree it was the picture showing the barcode that seems to have got the person who used it at 3pm in but no way should that person of got in as I thought you can only get in with a ticket in hand?

Have seen people try and get in before saying they lost tickets but had the picture with barcodes and were 100% refused entry!

Really strange one this!

Hurrache wrote: »
    They are a horrible bunch but not for reasons you say. You never had a contract with them in the first place, the issue seems to be with the person who sold the tickets to you, either because they or someone they know got scanned in with it, or by the seller making it easy on their ad for someone to get the code.

Unfortunately throughout the world Ticketmaster have what's essentially a monopoly on gigs so you will have to deal with them again at some point.

I won't be attending any gig they sell tickets for and not because of this ticket issue, because of the way they dealt with it and the way I was spoken to this morning when I called to see what my options were. Sheer contempt for concert goers that's what I experienced from them.

I was just about done with the whole rigmarole anyway, last night was the killer blow.

But one ticket worked so if the person was scamming then surely they would of cancelled both tickets no?

I would definitely agree it was the picture showing the barcode that seems to have got the person who used it at 3pm in but no way should that person of got in as I thought you can only get in with a ticket in hand?

Have seen people try and get in before saying they lost tickets but had the picture with barcodes and were 100% refused entry!

Really strange one this!

Yes that is what's happened. The guy seems genuine and is responding to my texts to try get to the bottom of it. One worked so someone stole the barcode for the other and forged a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

What do you expect Ticketmaster to do?

Wheety wrote: »
    What do you expect Ticketmaster to do?

Not treat a member of the general public who is in possession of €150 worth of their tickets, including receipt, with contempt and ridicule. Behave in a professional manner and accept it is possible there might have been some error on their part, which in this case there has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This is a definite risk, but I don't think it happened in this case as they would have been scanned and the OP would have been told they were cancelled - reported stolen or not delivered in the post. They were told they were already used.

One way to combat these scams would be the Venue or TM could put cctv up and be able to detect when the ticket was scanned, and so have an image of the person using the dodgy ticket. But they could still say they bought it from a tout outside, which might be legit. Still is sort of like handling stolen goods I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Really strange one this!

I would assume the person had a print-out style e-ticket, and then recreated the barcode on it.
    Not hard to just scan a legit print-out e-ticket, change the name/venue/date, and paste a new barcode onto it, or recreate the barcode.
    There's plenty of sites that will create a barcode from numbers you enter.

gates only opened at 3:30pm on Monday (according to the website), so I assume they were there first thing and ready to go in, so that whoever had the legit ticket didn't get in before them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Deffo doesn't sound like a scam by the seller.
    If he was going to scam you, BOTH tickets would have been used, not just one.
    As already mentioned, probably someone copied the code and got in with it before you did.

Ticketmaster don't give a fiddlers as they have sold the ticket and that's their involvement done.
    If they let you in with the "copied" ticket, everyone would do it so there was no chance of getting anything off them.

Not sure why he accusing you of scamming him as one ticket worked and the other didn't?
    You went in but had to buy another ticket, debatable whether the seller is at fault or liable in this case?
    Hard one to call.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Deffo doesn't sound like a scam by the seller.
    If he was going to scam you, BOTH tickets would have been used, not just one.
    As already mentioned, probably someone copied the code and got in with it before you did.

Ticketmaster don't give a fiddlers as they have sold the ticket and that's their involvement done.
    If they let you in with the "copied" ticket, everyone would do it so there was no chance of getting anything off them.

Not sure why he accusing you of scamming him as one ticket worked and the other didn't?
    You went in but had to buy another ticket, debatable whether the seller is at fault or liable in this case?
    Hard one to call.

No it's not a scam by the seller but given he put a photo of the tickets up on his ad while they were in his possession, it's on him that this has happened. He's basically saying he won't refund me anything until he gets his money back from Ticketmaster. As if that will happen. They're clearly not going to take responsibility for the fact they let someone in with a hard copy barcode on an printed eticket.
    Thing is if he had decided to go in the end and took down the ad, he would have been in the same situation at the gate. But given it was me and not him, he now doesn't have to do anything about it. It's a lousy situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Not treat a member of the general public who is in possession of €150 worth of their tickets, including receipt, with contempt and ridicule. Behave in a professional manner and accept it is possible there might have been some error on their part, which in this case there has.

You’re not Ticketmaster’s customer.
    They stress do not buy from third parties and if you do and it doesn’t work then tough.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    You’re not Ticketmaster’s customer.
    They stress do not buy from third parties and if you do and it doesn’t work then tough.

Thank you for that very useful input. Doesn't sound very official to me but you're the expert! Regardless of what they "stress" though, it's no excuse for treating people the way the do when there are problems.

What I don't understand is how Ticketmaster can't embed a signature of some kind within the barcodes, so if someone presents an eticket that comes up as having a hard copy barcode they're stopped at the gate and refused entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Thank you for that very useful input. Doesn't sound very official to me but you're the expert! Regardless of what they "stress" though, it's no excuse for treating people the way the do when there are problems.

From Ticketmasters website.

“Ticketmaster does not recommend the on-selling or purchasing of tickets through unauthorised third party sellers. If you purchase tickets from another source, such as Viagogo, eBay, Gumtree, or any other unauthorised reseller, you risk that these tickets are invalid. Unfortunately, Ticketmaster cannot confirm the validity of any ticket to any individual except the original Ticketmaster purchaser.

Purchasing tickets from an unauthorised ticket seller means that we cannot refund you if an Event is cancelled, and we cannot inform you of important changes or event information.”

From Ticketmasters website.

“Ticketmaster does not recommend the on-selling or purchasing of tickets through unauthorised third party sellers. If you purchase tickets from another source, such as Viagogo, eBay, Gumtree, or any other unauthorised reseller, you risk that these tickets are invalid. Unfortunately, Ticketmaster cannot confirm the validity of any ticket to any individual except the original Ticketmaster purchaser.

Purchasing tickets from an unauthorised ticket seller means that we cannot refund you if an Event is cancelled, and we cannot inform you of important changes or event information.”

Do you work for Ticketmaster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Maybe they do, and maybe they dont. However, what they are saying is correct.

You have no business with Ticketmaster. SOMEBODY bought tickets from them. Their job is done. That somebody is their customer. Not you. I have followed this story with interest and have no clue how this has happened, but you are flogging a dead horse demanding a company you have no business with, talk, reimburse or even give you ANY information.

I do not know where you can go from here, but they do not have any obligation or ability to assist you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

I'm sorry but this is the risk of buying from a buy and sell site. You chose to purchase tickets from a seller that you saw had uploaded actual pictures of the tickets. I get that you're pissed. But blaming Ticketmaster isn't fair. And nor is blaming the seller when it was your choice to purchase those particular tickets. It's unfortunate that it happened but I'd chalk it down to a learning experience and move on.

I do agree that technically someone shouldn't have been allowed in with a print out but the bar code was valid. I get that the seller shouldn't have publicly posted pictures of the tickets up online but you were happy to purchase them. As you said the same thing would have happened to him had he decided to go.

What I don't get is how people sell on or buy etickets ... This is an unrelated matter. As I know yours were hard copy.

I'm sorry but this is the risk of buying from a buy and sell site. You chose to purchase tickets from a seller that you saw had uploaded actual pictures of the tickets. I get that you're pissed. But blaming Ticketmaster isn't fair. And nor is blaming the seller when it was your choice to purchase those particular tickets. It's unfortunate that it happened but I'd chalk it down to a learning experience and move on.

I do agree that technically someone shouldn't have been allowed in with a print out but the bar code was valid. I get that the seller shouldn't have publicly posted pictures of the tickets up online but you were happy to purchase them. As you said the same thing would have happened to him had he decided to go.

What I don't get is how people sell on or buy etickets ... This is an related matter. As I know yours were hard copy.

Selling on etickets is no different to any other ticket. I have heard the story about exposed barcodes on screen being reproduced, but cannot see how it happens.

Perhaps a scammer noted the barcode or ticketnumber and sweettalked an agent to reprint "as it was damaged". I dont think we will ever know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

It’s a but late now but never ever buy tickets off adverts or done deal no matter what.

You’ll have a flawless safe and trustable time on toutless.ie every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

Selling on etickets is no different to any other ticket. I have heard the story about exposed barcodes on screen being reproduced, but cannot see how it happens.

I'd have thought they are particularly risky in that the seller can just keep the email and keep reprinting/ selling it. They just seem easier to be scammed with.

It’s a but late now but never ever buy tickets off adverts or done deal no matter what.

You’ll have a flawless safe and trustable time on toutless.ie every time.
    Rubbish. In what way do you think toutless is safer?

The same ticket, in the same circumstances?

Absolutely no difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Rubbish. In what way do you think toutless is safer?

The same ticket, in the same circumstances?

Absolutely no difference.

There’s a world of difference.
    I’ve bought tickets off adverts three times and been burned twice. It’s what happens there and adverts constantly get complaints about it but have a hands off ‘you were warned tickets sold here may not be legit’ at your own risk policy

The whole premise of toutless was to avoid that. And pay face value not a cent above. Bought countless tickets off their forums and never once had an issue. Genuinely sound people who also have been burned and don’t want to do it to others.
    Gway tfvck with your ‘rubbish’ too by the way.

There’s a world of difference.
    I’ve bought tickets off adverts three times and been burned twice. It’s what happens there and adverts constantly get complaints about it but have a hands off ‘you were warned tickets sold here may not be legit’ at your own risk policy

The whole premise of toutless was to avoid that. And pay face value not a cent above. Bought countless tickets off their forums and never once had an issue. Genuinely sound people who also have been burned and don’t want to do it to others.
    Gway tfvck with your ‘rubbish’ too by the way.

It is rubbish. Adverts is face value only.

If you got burned on toutless, what do you think they can do for you? Nothing! They are an advertising site which cannot even tell you the real name of the seller (by law)

Adverts would be exactly the same. Why not ask toutless what they would do and report back here. Go on !

Toutless.com terms and conditions. https://www.toutless.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6

Adverts.ie terms and conditions. (tickets is no 8) https://help.adverts.ie/hc/en-us/articles/360001284769-House-rules-for-Sellers

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

No, but their terms and conditions are very, very easy to find. In this case you had bought nothing from them, they had no contract with you, and I’d be fairly sure that with GDPR they couldn’t give you any info even if they wanted to, as you did not purchase tickets from them.

• Advertisement

Under GDPR rules, they cannot release info to anybody. The gardai used to make a section 8 request - signed by a super, and that allowed release of data.

Even that has changed, the request has to come from the gardai and its now a section 41 (b) request. Without that, any company cannot release a first name, never mind details.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement