Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ticketmaster problem

• 04-06-2019 9:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help me understand what happened here?

I bought 2 hard copy tickets from an adverts user Sunday night for forbidden fruit on Monday. Seemed a nice guy, lots of positive feedback, tickets were attached to each other and receipt etc in the ticket Master gift box.
    We get to the gig and I separate the tickets to give the other to my friend as we move through bag check.
    He gets stopped and told his ticket was scanned in already that day at 3.30pm. This was at 7.30pm and the tickets had been in my possession all day.

They would not listen to what we told them. Gate people said whoever sold them to us must have taken a picture of the ticket and used the barcode. We went to ticket Master and they laughed at us, repeatedly telling me we had used that ticket earlier in the day. When I told them what they had said at the gate that someone had taken a picture of the ticket before selling it to me, initially hey said that couldn't have happened. Then later when I argued our case he said someone could have taken a picture and blagged in at the gate saying they forgot the hard copy.

We ended up buying another ticket and using the one that worked. Decided if we had been scammed best bet would be to use the one that worked and pay again for the other.

I called the guy that sold me the tickets and spoke to him, he swears blind he has no idea what happened and is now accusing me of scamming him since we actually went to the gig!

How could someone have "used" a hard copy ticket I had in my possession? Is it possible to copy and then legitimately use a copy of a physical ticket?
    Is there any way of getting to the bottom of it?
    I have this guys name, address, phone number etc but why would he hand over that info if scamming me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Granite Head

Was there a full picture of the ticket on Adverts? Been known for the bar codes to be copied from the screen.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, Muirean Bradley, All Together Now, Bonny Prince Billy, Phosphorescent, Ride, Dirt Birds, Melts, Tommy Tiernan, The Libertines, The Last Dinner Party, St. Vincent, Los Bitchos, Iron & Wine x2, John Grant, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Public Service Broadcasting, Fat Dog, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, MJ Lenderman, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Vampire Weekend, Fontaines DC, Villagers, Confidence Man, Amble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Was there a full picture of the ticket on Adverts? Been known for the bar codes to be copied from the screen.

I have seen loads like this on adverts, I was looking for some to buy and was put off as I thought they could be copied. I reported the sale too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Yes! Omg I thought buying hard copies was safest way to go about it. That's a nightmare I'll talk to the guy I bought them from to get a refund for one.
    Ticketmaster are a horrible bunch. Will not be dealing with them again that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

A few years ago we were going to a gig in the Olympia but had lost the tickets, only discovered this on the day of the gig which was a Sunday. We went to the box office in the Olympia, the girl at the desk swiped the card I'd used to pay and printed off two new ones.

Perhaps he went to a TM outlet, said his originals were lost or stolen and got them to reprint them, selling you either the originals or the duplicates?

Either way it's a scummy act so please make sure you contact adverts and explain you were scammed, they should hopefully ban his account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

lolo62 wrote: »
    Ticketmaster are a horrible bunch. Will not be dealing with them again that's for sure.

They are a horrible bunch but not for reasons you say. You never had a contract with them in the first place, the issue seems to be with the person who sold the tickets to you, either because they or someone they know got scanned in with it, or by the seller making it easy on their ad for someone to get the code.

Unfortunately throughout the world Ticketmaster have what's essentially a monopoly on gigs so you will have to deal with them again at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

A few years ago we were going to a gig in the Olympia but had lost the tickets, only discovered this on the day of the gig which was a Sunday. We went to the box office in the Olympia, the girl at the desk swiped the card I'd used to pay and printed off two new ones.

Perhaps he went to a TM outlet, said his originals were lost or stolen and got them to reprint them, selling you either the originals or the duplicates?

Either way it's a scummy act so please make sure you contact adverts and explain you were scammed, they should hopefully ban his account.

But one ticket worked so if the person was scamming then surely they would of cancelled both tickets no?

I would definitely agree it was the picture showing the barcode that seems to have got the person who used it at 3pm in but no way should that person of got in as I thought you can only get in with a ticket in hand?

Have seen people try and get in before saying they lost tickets but had the picture with barcodes and were 100% refused entry!

Really strange one this!

Hurrache wrote: »
    They are a horrible bunch but not for reasons you say. You never had a contract with them in the first place, the issue seems to be with the person who sold the tickets to you, either because they or someone they know got scanned in with it, or by the seller making it easy on their ad for someone to get the code.

Unfortunately throughout the world Ticketmaster have what's essentially a monopoly on gigs so you will have to deal with them again at some point.

I won't be attending any gig they sell tickets for and not because of this ticket issue, because of the way they dealt with it and the way I was spoken to this morning when I called to see what my options were. Sheer contempt for concert goers that's what I experienced from them.

I was just about done with the whole rigmarole anyway, last night was the killer blow.

But one ticket worked so if the person was scamming then surely they would of cancelled both tickets no?

I would definitely agree it was the picture showing the barcode that seems to have got the person who used it at 3pm in but no way should that person of got in as I thought you can only get in with a ticket in hand?

Have seen people try and get in before saying they lost tickets but had the picture with barcodes and were 100% refused entry!

Really strange one this!

Yes that is what's happened. The guy seems genuine and is responding to my texts to try get to the bottom of it. One worked so someone stole the barcode for the other and forged a ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

What do you expect Ticketmaster to do?

Wheety wrote: »
    What do you expect Ticketmaster to do?

Not treat a member of the general public who is in possession of €150 worth of their tickets, including receipt, with contempt and ridicule. Behave in a professional manner and accept it is possible there might have been some error on their part, which in this case there has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This is a definite risk, but I don't think it happened in this case as they would have been scanned and the OP would have been told they were cancelled - reported stolen or not delivered in the post. They were told they were already used.

One way to combat these scams would be the Venue or TM could put cctv up and be able to detect when the ticket was scanned, and so have an image of the person using the dodgy ticket. But they could still say they bought it from a tout outside, which might be legit. Still is sort of like handling stolen goods I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Really strange one this!

I would assume the person had a print-out style e-ticket, and then recreated the barcode on it.
    Not hard to just scan a legit print-out e-ticket, change the name/venue/date, and paste a new barcode onto it, or recreate the barcode.
    There's plenty of sites that will create a barcode from numbers you enter.

gates only opened at 3:30pm on Monday (according to the website), so I assume they were there first thing and ready to go in, so that whoever had the legit ticket didn't get in before them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Deffo doesn't sound like a scam by the seller.
    If he was going to scam you, BOTH tickets would have been used, not just one.
    As already mentioned, probably someone copied the code and got in with it before you did.

Ticketmaster don't give a fiddlers as they have sold the ticket and that's their involvement done.
    If they let you in with the "copied" ticket, everyone would do it so there was no chance of getting anything off them.

Not sure why he accusing you of scamming him as one ticket worked and the other didn't?
    You went in but had to buy another ticket, debatable whether the seller is at fault or liable in this case?
    Hard one to call.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Deffo doesn't sound like a scam by the seller.
    If he was going to scam you, BOTH tickets would have been used, not just one.
    As already mentioned, probably someone copied the code and got in with it before you did.

Ticketmaster don't give a fiddlers as they have sold the ticket and that's their involvement done.
    If they let you in with the "copied" ticket, everyone would do it so there was no chance of getting anything off them.

Not sure why he accusing you of scamming him as one ticket worked and the other didn't?
    You went in but had to buy another ticket, debatable whether the seller is at fault or liable in this case?
    Hard one to call.

No it's not a scam by the seller but given he put a photo of the tickets up on his ad while they were in his possession, it's on him that this has happened. He's basically saying he won't refund me anything until he gets his money back from Ticketmaster. As if that will happen. They're clearly not going to take responsibility for the fact they let someone in with a hard copy barcode on an printed eticket.
    Thing is if he had decided to go in the end and took down the ad, he would have been in the same situation at the gate. But given it was me and not him, he now doesn't have to do anything about it. It's a lousy situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Not treat a member of the general public who is in possession of €150 worth of their tickets, including receipt, with contempt and ridicule. Behave in a professional manner and accept it is possible there might have been some error on their part, which in this case there has.

You’re not Ticketmaster’s customer.
    They stress do not buy from third parties and if you do and it doesn’t work then tough.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    You’re not Ticketmaster’s customer.
    They stress do not buy from third parties and if you do and it doesn’t work then tough.

Thank you for that very useful input. Doesn't sound very official to me but you're the expert! Regardless of what they "stress" though, it's no excuse for treating people the way the do when there are problems.

What I don't understand is how Ticketmaster can't embed a signature of some kind within the barcodes, so if someone presents an eticket that comes up as having a hard copy barcode they're stopped at the gate and refused entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Thank you for that very useful input. Doesn't sound very official to me but you're the expert! Regardless of what they "stress" though, it's no excuse for treating people the way the do when there are problems.

From Ticketmasters website.

“Ticketmaster does not recommend the on-selling or purchasing of tickets through unauthorised third party sellers. If you purchase tickets from another source, such as Viagogo, eBay, Gumtree, or any other unauthorised reseller, you risk that these tickets are invalid. Unfortunately, Ticketmaster cannot confirm the validity of any ticket to any individual except the original Ticketmaster purchaser.

Purchasing tickets from an unauthorised ticket seller means that we cannot refund you if an Event is cancelled, and we cannot inform you of important changes or event information.”

From Ticketmasters website.

“Ticketmaster does not recommend the on-selling or purchasing of tickets through unauthorised third party sellers. If you purchase tickets from another source, such as Viagogo, eBay, Gumtree, or any other unauthorised reseller, you risk that these tickets are invalid. Unfortunately, Ticketmaster cannot confirm the validity of any ticket to any individual except the original Ticketmaster purchaser.

Purchasing tickets from an unauthorised ticket seller means that we cannot refund you if an Event is cancelled, and we cannot inform you of important changes or event information.”

Do you work for Ticketmaster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Maybe they do, and maybe they dont. However, what they are saying is correct.

You have no business with Ticketmaster. SOMEBODY bought tickets from them. Their job is done. That somebody is their customer. Not you. I have followed this story with interest and have no clue how this has happened, but you are flogging a dead horse demanding a company you have no business with, talk, reimburse or even give you ANY information.

I do not know where you can go from here, but they do not have any obligation or ability to assist you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

I'm sorry but this is the risk of buying from a buy and sell site. You chose to purchase tickets from a seller that you saw had uploaded actual pictures of the tickets. I get that you're pissed. But blaming Ticketmaster isn't fair. And nor is blaming the seller when it was your choice to purchase those particular tickets. It's unfortunate that it happened but I'd chalk it down to a learning experience and move on.

I do agree that technically someone shouldn't have been allowed in with a print out but the bar code was valid. I get that the seller shouldn't have publicly posted pictures of the tickets up online but you were happy to purchase them. As you said the same thing would have happened to him had he decided to go.

What I don't get is how people sell on or buy etickets ... This is an unrelated matter. As I know yours were hard copy.

I'm sorry but this is the risk of buying from a buy and sell site. You chose to purchase tickets from a seller that you saw had uploaded actual pictures of the tickets. I get that you're pissed. But blaming Ticketmaster isn't fair. And nor is blaming the seller when it was your choice to purchase those particular tickets. It's unfortunate that it happened but I'd chalk it down to a learning experience and move on.

I do agree that technically someone shouldn't have been allowed in with a print out but the bar code was valid. I get that the seller shouldn't have publicly posted pictures of the tickets up online but you were happy to purchase them. As you said the same thing would have happened to him had he decided to go.

What I don't get is how people sell on or buy etickets ... This is an related matter. As I know yours were hard copy.

Selling on etickets is no different to any other ticket. I have heard the story about exposed barcodes on screen being reproduced, but cannot see how it happens.

Perhaps a scammer noted the barcode or ticketnumber and sweettalked an agent to reprint "as it was damaged". I dont think we will ever know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

It’s a but late now but never ever buy tickets off adverts or done deal no matter what.

You’ll have a flawless safe and trustable time on toutless.ie every time.

Selling on etickets is no different to any other ticket. I have heard the story about exposed barcodes on screen being reproduced, but cannot see how it happens.

I'd have thought they are particularly risky in that the seller can just keep the email and keep reprinting/ selling it. They just seem easier to be scammed with.

It’s a but late now but never ever buy tickets off adverts or done deal no matter what.

You’ll have a flawless safe and trustable time on toutless.ie every time.
    Rubbish. In what way do you think toutless is safer?

The same ticket, in the same circumstances?

Absolutely no difference.

Rubbish. In what way do you think toutless is safer?

The same ticket, in the same circumstances?

Absolutely no difference.

There’s a world of difference.
    I’ve bought tickets off adverts three times and been burned twice. It’s what happens there and adverts constantly get complaints about it but have a hands off ‘you were warned tickets sold here may not be legit’ at your own risk policy

The whole premise of toutless was to avoid that. And pay face value not a cent above. Bought countless tickets off their forums and never once had an issue. Genuinely sound people who also have been burned and don’t want to do it to others.
    Gway tfvck with your ‘rubbish’ too by the way.

There’s a world of difference.
    I’ve bought tickets off adverts three times and been burned twice. It’s what happens there and adverts constantly get complaints about it but have a hands off ‘you were warned tickets sold here may not be legit’ at your own risk policy

The whole premise of toutless was to avoid that. And pay face value not a cent above. Bought countless tickets off their forums and never once had an issue. Genuinely sound people who also have been burned and don’t want to do it to others.
    Gway tfvck with your ‘rubbish’ too by the way.

It is rubbish. Adverts is face value only.

If you got burned on toutless, what do you think they can do for you? Nothing! They are an advertising site which cannot even tell you the real name of the seller (by law)

Adverts would be exactly the same. Why not ask toutless what they would do and report back here. Go on !

Toutless.com terms and conditions. https://www.toutless.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6

Adverts.ie terms and conditions. (tickets is no 8) https://help.adverts.ie/hc/en-us/articles/360001284769-House-rules-for-Sellers

Thanks

No, but their terms and conditions are very, very easy to find. In this case you had bought nothing from them, they had no contract with you, and I’d be fairly sure that with GDPR they couldn’t give you any info even if they wanted to, as you did not purchase tickets from them.

• Advertisement

Under GDPR rules, they cannot release info to anybody. The gardai used to make a section 8 request - signed by a super, and that allowed release of data.

Even that has changed, the request has to come from the gardai and its now a section 41 (b) request. Without that, any company cannot release a first name, never mind details.

No, but their terms and conditions are very, very easy to find. In this case you had bought nothing from them, they had no contract with you, and I’d be fairly sure that with GDPR they couldn’t give you any info even if they wanted to, as you did not purchase tickets from them.

Entirely correct. Even if you got ripped off on toutless and contacted admin, its an anonymous person making an allegation against another person.

The can do diddly squat. It needs to go to the gardai who issue the relevant request as outlined in my previous post.

Toutless.com terms and conditions. https://www.toutless.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6

Adverts.ie terms and conditions. (tickets is no 8) https://help.adverts.ie/hc/en-us/articles/360001284769-House-rules-for-Sellers

Thanks

The entire point went over your head at great height.
    You’re taking a risk buying tickets off adverts even as the OP said, the poster has good feedback and tried to engage with him after. Something happened there, probably someone using a pic of the tickets to get a print off of repro from TM outlet.

You won’t see pics of tickets on toutless so that can’t happen and nobody there is going to shaft you.

To add, adverts changed their policy to match Toutless only recently funny enough.

You’re welcome.

The entire point went over your head at great height.
    You’re taking a risk buying tickets off adverts even as the OP said, the poster has good feedback and tried to engage with him after. Something happened there, probably someone using a pic of the tickets to get a print off of repro from TM outlet.

You won’t see pics of tickets on toutless so that can’t happen and nobody there is going to shaft you.

To add, adverts changed their policy to match Toutless only recently funny enough.

You’re welcome.

What policy changed and when? How do you know it was a photo of the ticket that was copied. How do you know someone didnt pull a fast one on the seller in person and got a reprint done. Indeed, how do you know the steward at the gate wasnt involved? Or even the buyers friend when the buyer wasnt looking?

You appear to make a lot of assumptions which could be pure pie in the sky.

Your statement of it wouldnt happen on toutless is completely wrong.

For all the posters pointing out I had no contract with Ticketmaster, I'm not really why this is such an important point to you, although I appreciate your collective conscientious effort in making it.
    It is not relevant or helpful to me in any way because my complaint is about the way they speak to/respond to people. They don't have to do anything for me but they could treat me with the dignity and respect a fellow human being deserves. Especially if their system allows for this to happen. There are definitely ways they could ensure this doesn't happen so easily and to respond to these situations in the manner they do is just bad bad business.

In case anyone is interested, I have the name and address of the guy I bought tickets off. He has turned it all around on me saying well you were at the gig so how can I trust you. Thing is he knows right well I was stuck in a crap situation where the one ticket that worked had been scanned and so had to be used, then to get both of us in I had to buy another.
    In trying to sort it out with him he has been slippery at every turn with absolutely no interest in taking any responsibility. He didn't even try to complain to Ticketmaster for me like he said he would. Just sent a "tweet"
    He's actually been so shady since all this transpired that I'm back to thinking he might have planned the whole thing.

• Advertisement

For all the posters pointing out I had no contract with Ticketmaster, I'm not really why this is such an important point to you, although I appreciate your collective conscientious effort in making it.
    It is not relevant or helpful to me in any way because my complaint is about the way they speak to/respond to people. They don't have to do anything for me but they could treat me with the dignity and respect a fellow human being deserves. Especially if their system allows for this to happen. There are definitely ways they could ensure this doesn't happen so easily and to respond to these situations in the manner they do is just bad bad business.

In what way did they disrespect you as a human being? What does their system allow to happen? For the record, I dont particularly like them either.

In what way did they disrespect you as a human being? What does their system allow to happen?

Are you interested in helping me with useful information or antagonizing me because you've had a bad day?
    Genuine question, just trying to filter the trolls from the concerned posters...

They try to ensure this doesn’t happen by telling people not to buy from third parties. It’s literally in/on every email/ticket you get from them. They’ve actually just sent me one because I’m going to some of the Malahide concerts. It isn’t their fault that people don’t abide by their terms. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

lolo62 wrote:
    In case anyone is interested, I have the name and address of the guy I bought tickets off. He has turned it all around on me saying well you were at the gig so how can I trust you. Thing is he knows right well I was stuck in a crap situation where the one ticket that worked had been scanned and so had to be used, then to get both of us in I had to buy another. In trying to sort it out with him he has been slippery at every turn with absolutely no interest in taking any responsibility. He didn't even try to complain to Ticketmaster for me like he said he would. Just sent a "tweet" He's actually been so shady since all this transpired that I'm back to thinking he might have planned the whole thing.

Your attitude reeks of blaming everyone else and no personal responsibility. Your man owes you nothing. He sold tickets in good faith. And you purchased them willingly. I'd stop replying too. And threatening that you've their name and address isn't helping your cause.

In what way did they disrespect you as a human being? What does their system allow to happen? For the record, I dont particularly like them either.

Two guys at the Ticketmaster desk were laughing at me saying I had scanned the ticket in at 3.30 that day. I kept telling them I had been at home until 6.30 and only separated the tickets walking towards the scanners so we could hand in separately 10 minutes previously. One kept shouting me down "THAT TICKET WAS SCANNED IN TODAY AT 3.30"
    I kept asking them what else could have happened because it couldn't have been and they continued to laugh and shout me down.
    There was no trying to look at the details of how I had the tickets and what could have happened. I had to get that info from security who were very nice.
    When I called Ticketmaster the next day I didn't even get a chance to finish my sentence, shouted down, talked over and dismissed because my name wasn't on the credit card.
    It would only take 2 minutes of their time to listen to your situation and patiently/calmly explain what they think could have happened.

I don't go to concerts often and had no idea how hard copy tickets could have been used when I had them in my possession. The atmosphere was that I was an idiot, and/or lying. This is an unacceptable way to deal with people in any professional role.

In relation to how they allow this to happen, I think I posted a page or so back, embed hard copy barcodes with some kind of signature so that if an eticket is scanned and it comes up as a hard copy barcode, stop them and refuse entry. Seems like a simple concept no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Just another suggestion as to what might have happened. I had bought two tickets to a gig in Vicar Street a couple of years ago, tickets came in the post, and were pretty much stuck in the drawer until the night of the gig.

Met my friend outside the gig, I walked in first, bouncer scanned the ticket: "beep" and I walked in. Turned around and my friends ticket begin scanned: "that other beep sound" :eek: Bouncer says ticket has already been used he's not getting in. I say to the bouncer that's not possible and to try again and he basically tells me to go away immediately or he's throwing me out too. ****ing arsehole!

So my friend stands outside and I go get a pint. I'm talking to him on the phone and tell him there's no way the ticket has already been used and to try again. So I get my pint and go and stand in the foyer again where I can see the back of the bouncer. My friend walks up again after 5-10 minutes the bouncer scans it again without noticing it's my friend who's handed it him and it beeps properly this time. My friend stands there and gives him a look as if to say "what were you saying earlier" and the bouncer tells him if he's being smart he won't let him in. ****ing Arsehole! Anyway my friend got in second time around.

I've probably been to ~150 gigs over the years and this is the only time anything like this has ever happened. To be honest I don't know how something like that can happen when it's just a barcode and I probably wouldn't have believed it either except it happened to me!

Just wondering OP did you just try the once to scan the ticket? I didn't realise those ticket readers had to ability to say what time the ticket was scanned at, just that it was already scanned :confused: Seems like overkill to have a big database of all the barcodes accessible on every ticket scanner. Like for Slane or something that would be 80000 tickets and scan times on the Database. Wonder did they just make up the 3.30 time to make you more likely to leave them alone???

Your attitude reeks of blaming everyone else and no personal responsibility. Your man owes you nothing. He sold tickets in good faith. And you purchased them willingly. I'd stop replying too. And threatening that you've their name and address isn't helping your cause.

So I buy two tickets and one is fraud I can't blame someone? Out €70 and I only have myself to blame? What about the responsibility of the seller to not expose the tickets so they can be copied before selling them?

And who am I threatening? Posters are talking about section 8 Garda requests to get info of dodgy sellers. I have the info of mine I was just pointing that out.

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Just another suggestion as to what might have happened. I had bought two tickets to a gig in Vicar Street a couple of years ago, tickets came in the post, and were pretty much stuck in the drawer until the night of the gig.

Met my friend outside the gig, I walked in first, bouncer scanned the ticket: "beep" and I walked in. Turned around and my friends ticket begin scanned: "that other beep sound" :eek: Bouncer says ticket has already been used he's not getting in. I say to the bouncer that's not possible and to try again and he basically tells me to go away immediately or he's throwing me out too. ****ing arsehole!

So my friend stands outside and I go get a pint. I'm talking to him on the phone and tell him there's no way the ticket has already been used and to try again. So I get my pint and go and stand in the foyer again where I can see the back of the bouncer. My friend walks up again after 5-10 minutes the bouncer scans it again without noticing it's my friend who's handed it him and it beeps properly this time. My friend stands there and gives him a look as if to say "what were you saying earlier" and the bouncer tells him if he's being smart he won't let him in. ****ing Arsehole! Anyway my friend got in second time around.

I've probably been to ~150 gigs over the years and this is the only time anything like this has ever happened. To be honest I don't know how something like that can happen when it's just a barcode and I probably wouldn't have believed it either except it happened to me!

Just wondering OP did you just try the once to scan the ticket? I didn't realise those ticket readers had to ability to say what time the ticket was scanned at, just that it was already scanned :confused: Seems like overkill to have a big database of all the barcodes accessible on every ticket scanner. Like for Slane or something that would be 80000 tickets and scan times on the Database. Wonder did they just make up the 3.30 time to make you more likely to leave them alone???

Strange it eventually worked and not at first but happy ending to that story!
    Yes they showed me on the scanner. And they tried about 50 times as they could see by our faces we had no idea what was going on. They have lots of info just none of it helpful to the ticket user!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

So I buy two tickets and one is fraud I can't blame someone? Out €70 and I only have myself to blame? What about the responsibility of the seller to not expose the tickets so they can be copied before selling them?

And who am I threatening? Posters are talking about section 8 Garda requests to get info of dodgy sellers. I have the info of mine I was just pointing that out.

Jesus you’re a moan ! Seller didn’t realize that barcodes can be copied at the time , no more than you didn’t realize that they can be copied , right??? Cause if you did you wouldn’t have bought them off him , right ??? So the two of you learned something. In the greater scheme of things a life lesson cost you €70 ! Big deal. Stop trying to poach the money back off the seller as you are sounding fairly pathetic. You and your mate both got to see the gig , yeah. Move on

lolo62 wrote:

It's not fraud if sold in good faith. You can purchase a car off a private seller only for it to break down a few weeks later and have no comeback. Buyer beware.

It's unfortunate that this has happened but I don't think the seller was out to get you. And I don't think it was wise to purchase tickets that were posted publicly onto a buy and sell page.

As I said it's sh!t but chalk it down to a learning experience.

hawkelady wrote: »
    Jesus you’re a moan ! Seller didn’t realize that barcodes can be copied at the time , no more than you didn’t realize that they can be copied , right??? Cause if you did you wouldn’t have bought them off him , right ??? So the two of you learned something. In the greater scheme of things a life lesson cost you €70 ! Big deal. Stop trying to poach the money back off the seller as you are sounding fairly pathetic. You and your mate both got to see the gig , yeah. Move on

What's your problem? Don't read the thread if it gets your back up. You might be happy to pay €70 for someone else's neligence but I amn't. Holding someone responsible for f*****g up isn't poaching. You're the moan.

Are you interested in helping me with useful information or antagonizing me because you've had a bad day?
    Genuine question, just trying to filter the trolls from the concerned posters...

Why are you attacking me? I have some insight into this stuff.

Two guys at the Ticketmaster desk were laughing at me saying I had scanned the ticket in at 3.30 that day. I kept telling them I had been at home until 6.30 and only separated the tickets walking towards the scanners so we could hand in separately 10 minutes previously. One kept shouting me down "THAT TICKET WAS SCANNED IN TODAY AT 3.30"
    I kept asking them what else could have happened because it couldn't have been and they continued to laugh and shout me down.
    There was no trying to look at the details of how I had the tickets and what could have happened. I had to get that info from security who were very nice.
    When I called Ticketmaster the next day I didn't even get a chance to finish my sentence, shouted down, talked over and dismissed because my name wasn't on the credit card.
    It would only take 2 minutes of their time to listen to your situation and patiently/calmly explain what they think could have happened.

I don't go to concerts often and had no idea how hard copy tickets could have been used when I had them in my possession. The atmosphere was that I was an idiot, and/or lying. This is an unacceptable way to deal with people in any professional role.

In relation to how they allow this to happen, I think I posted a page or so back, embed hard copy barcodes with some kind of signature so that if an eticket is scanned and it comes up as a hard copy barcode, stop them and refuse entry. Seems like a simple concept no?

You were asking for info and talking about somebody elses ticket. They are legally not allowed to tell you anything.

I am used to ejits saying "for data protection reasons....." but in this case, they were correct. As someone else said above, you appear to be blaming everyone else and as for your comment "dignity and respect for a human being", are you for real?

If I walked in to a ticketmaster office tomorrow, with somebody elses ticket and claim it didnt work, it apparently had been used, and I want my money back, they would quite rightly decline to deal with me.

I am not their customer. I have no right to any information about the real customer. The only avenue would be the gardai and a section 41 (b) request. Even then the gardai will hit a dead end on the basis of your account.

I dont know what you can do, but your arguements here are light and insignificant. You have no rights and claiming your rights and dignity have been abused as a human being are downright silly. Just stay out of warm rooms!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

What's your problem? Don't read the thread if it gets your back up. You might be happy to pay €70 for someone else's neligence but I amn't. Holding someone responsible for f*****g up isn't poaching. You're the moan.

So you’re admitting you bought into someone’s negligence..... that’s fine. This particular life lesson cost you €70.

Wait till your old enough to buy your first lemon of a car ... or someone claims off your insurance for a minor fender bender. I’m sure you’ll light up boards with those life lessons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I don't know the legalities of it but how is it your fault that security let someone in earlier with a counterfeit ticket?

You had the genuine ticket & they refused entry. You must be entitled to a refund from the promoters surely?

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I don't know the legalities of it but how is it your fault that security let someone in earlier with a counterfeit ticket?

You had the genuine ticket & they refused entry. You must be entitled to a refund from the promoters surely?

I am aware of a case where someone bought tickets which were reported missing in the post. New tix were sent out. The original tickets were refused at the door as cancelled. This is not a cut and dried situation.

I am seriously peed reading this, but I have no solution. I am sure it is in TM's terms and conditions somewhere about this.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement