Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

She can brazen this out.

Vlad can sanction her.

She could resign from the Committee.

Which of the above do you think will happen?

There is certainly a lot of media coverage of this but what will it achieve at the end of the day if there are absolutely no sanctions for false or spurious claims. That is the reality.

She apparently has been pretty much ostracized within the party from what the news seems to be suggesting, with minister's and TDs being outspoken publicly about on her on radio and television, one fellow traveller even did the unthinkable and removed her profile photo off Facebook:eek:

But seriously, if she hangs in there, then I can only think of one reason why.

There's a gaggle of them in this together, at the venue on the night, and dispensing legal advice. If Maria goes, she could take a few with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,886 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

She apparently has been pretty much ostracized within the party from what the news seems to be suggesting, with minister's and TDs being outspoken publicly about on her on radio and television, one fellow traveller even did the unthinkable and removed her profile photo off Facebook:eek:

There's a gaggle of them in this together, at the venue on the night, and dispensing legal advice. If Maria goes, she could take a few with her.

It is possible that she is the fall gal in all this. She was stupid and idiotic too. We all know this.

But to my mind those calling for her demise are reprehensible, as it appears to me that there is a gathering of the wolves against a certain cohort or something.

There are bigger fish to fry in this country now. OK sanction her but FGS do not try to be better than thou. That kind of hypocrisy gets me, and they are just jumping on the "vote for me" bandwagon. Ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

seligehgit wrote: »
    That was brief.

Sounds like the loss of the chairmanship will be the sanction Fine Gael hope will to pacify an angry public.

A few weeks back, Claire Byrne Live did a piece on her programme about Insurance hikes for business people. Among the interested parties in the audience who spoke was the owner from Rathbeggan Lakes who said he was closing up his business because of insurance costs. There was another guy on who said his business insurance went from five grand to eight grand to - wait for it - twenty five grand in the last few years. The Minister for State, Michael D'arcy, he of the hoarse voice, was also on saying what the government was doing about this problem. At one point he said "the finest people are making claims because it is regarded as easy money". Not sure who he was referring to as "the finest people", perhaps Maria ! But within the context of the negative impact of insurance hikes for the leisure industry , it really doesn't look good for one member of the Government to be speaking about claiming being "easy money" and another member of government making a claim that very much looks like she's after easy money . As the saying goes, Caesar's wife has to be above suspicion. MB is very much under suspicion and therefore harmful to the FG brand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

It is possible that she is the fall gal in all this. She was stupid and idiotic too. We all know this.

But to my mind those calling for her demise are reprehensible, as it appears to me that there is a gathering of the wolves against a certain cohort or something.

There are bigger fish to fry in this country now. OK sanction her but FGS do not try to be better than thou. That kind of hypocrisy gets me, and they are just jumping on the "vote for me" bandwagon. Ugh

Oh please quit the virtue signalling.

She was trying to sue a local business for up to 60,000 Euros.
    It was a spurious claim. I would even say fraudulent.

She lied on legal documents.

She lied on the radio.

Her sense of entitlement has blinded her to right and wrong.

And you think she is the fall gal?

Please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,003 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

She lied on the radio.

Please

Yep and we dont want a fall gal. We want a lightning rod. Even if she is thrown out of FG it means little unless there are real changes to the law here and consequences for the next chancer.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭This is it

There's a reason for that gathering and should the report confirm what the evidence points to, that this was a fraudulent claim, it should lead to her demise. We can't call on the government to sort out the insurance industry and claim culture in the country on one side and let this slide on the other.

Whataboutery is bullshît. If she has done wrong there needs to be repercussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,886 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

She lied on the radio.

Please

OK I get your point, but she is not alone, and until there are hefty sanctions for spurious/fraudulent claims, it will go on, and on, and on. Tell me it won't.

My point was, this is a point scoring exercise from those who may/can be hypocritical. It is all about getting at your rival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Lied in the Dail, you know this, you've asked about 75 times any time her name is mentioned.

But a report came out after and said she did nothing wrong????

OK I get your point, but she is not alone, and until there are hefty sanctions for spurious/fraudulent claims, it will go on, and on, and on. Tell me it won't.

My point was, this is a point scoring exercise from those who may/can be hypocritical. It is all about getting at your rival.

I don't think any rival political party are stoking this up anymore than the angry public is. The taxpayer is paying for these fraudulent insurance claims.

Yeah I am hoping she is sanctioned AND gets kicked out of Fine Gael AND loses her seat in the next general election AND the government passes decent legislation to try and counteract the compo culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭buried

I'm after writing a report here now what says I don't need to come into work tomorrow and nothing wrong with that either

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Bigger fish to fry, but if we start making good examples of what we refuse to let our elected TD's away with, it might make some of them think twice.

I have no doubt that she would still be suing with the original statement had she not been made public. I have zero sympathy for her, she will still earn a decent pension for the rest of her life or there abouts for the years that she has served as both as a councillor and a TD, and will probably be employed by another as a parliamentary assistant like she did her father and Marie Baker.

Making the three of them, the three that colluded to stop Naja Regan from running in the local elections, giving them an advantage.

Nasty pieces of work at every level.

Have you a link to this report that said she did nothing wrong by lying in the Dail to her party and her Taosieach?

Link please.

Suckit wrote: »
    Where that goddam cctv footage. :)

I am actually quite surprised the CCTV footage has not been leaked. The Dean seem to have scruples. I would also think powerful forces have asked that it be destroyed now that the case is withdrawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I am actually quite surprised the CCTV footage has not been leaked. The Dean seem to have scruples. I would also think powerful forces have asked that it be destroyed now that the case is withdrawn.

A very powerful bargaining chip for the Dean Hotels owners and by default, they just need to be known to have the footage to send shivers through Leo. I'm sure the footage is securely locked away somewhere.

I think if i was just Maria Bailey in the footage it would be leaked by now as there would be nothing new to us. However my feeling is there are other TDs in it which would be enough to bring down the Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

God forbid we should expect public representatives to set higher standards...

She got caught out ... she deserves to be made a point of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Did the report clear her of misleading the Dail? Did clear her if misleading the Taoiseach?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what do those FG morons plan on doing about this criminality? the fraudulent claims... They've been in power over eight years, so nothing I take it?

Idbatterim wrote:
    what do those FG morons plan on doing about this criminality? the fraudulent claims... They've been in power over eight years, so nothing I take it?

Maria Bailey has thought us that FG are utter hypocrites when it comes to insurance claims, remember Alan Farrell (FG) TD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Have you a link to this report that said she did nothing wrong by lying in the Dail to her party and her Taosieach?

Link please.

Perhaps the mystery report is something cooked up by Mad Joe the Culture Vulture Minister?
    FG colleague, legal advisor, and possibly even a long lost cousin of the much maligned Ms. Bailey

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Maria Bailey has thought us that FG are utter hypocrites when it comes to insurance claims, remember Alan Farrell (FG) TD.

Can the dean not counter sue for damage to their reputation or for a false claim ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

I surprised that there is no mention of a Garda investigation into this.
    There is a clear whiff of a fraudulent claim here.

Idbatterim wrote:
    Can the dean not counter sue for damage to their reputation or for a false claim ?

They can sue for their costs incurred by MBs claim up till she withdraw her claim. That's my understanding in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Idbatterim wrote: »

Probably but it’s huge promotion for them. I bet it’s busier than usual because of this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

The usual they’ll be asked to leave in interest of Fine Gael. They’ll leave run as an independent get every vote going come back when parties are stuck form a government. Omg the thought of it she might be back as a minister yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Or the guy in Australia who sued himself and won. He threw a boomerang and it came back and hit him. He sued himself for negligence and injury and won. His insurance company had to give him a huge payout. Clever of him.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/goes-around-litigates-around/

Basic stuff Reg. Never happened.

He would be laughed out of an Australian Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I think if i was just Maria Bailey in the footage it would be leaked by now as there would be nothing new to us. However my feeling is there are other TDs in it which would be enough to bring down the Government.[/QUOTE]

It would be worse if there was a friend, in the legal profession, in the footage.Now,that would be a bad scenario!

Nevertheless,when people fcuk up,I'm kind of inclined to wonder if we are losing a skill by punishing them in all area's of their life.

I haven't paid much attention to this case,only the locals can say if they feel she was worth her vote or not.

Whoever advised her,and whatever way she translated that advice...that was the big mistake.

She took of her political hat in that moment and has caused herself more personal suffering than the physical fall ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Nevertheless,when people fcuk up,I'm kind of inclined to wonder if we are losing a skill by punishing them in all area's of their life.

Special Skill : Landing ? (First time on her bum, this time, up to her neck)

Areas of Expertise : Gravity, gravitational abuse, friction, memory loss, soft tissue injury, Hyperfiscal recovery treatments, Denial, entitlement and our favourite......Sean.

and of course....English....listed as her only accomplishment ?
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/mariabaileytd/?originalSubdomain=ie

She is the worst kind of public official. Very easy to vote for, but if you got a hold of her diary and had a look at what she does, you'd be asking for your money back......she fills a seat. (and sometimes takes an excursion to the floor)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Whoever advised her,and whatever way she translated that advice...that was the big mistake.
    This could be the next big story out of this. Who advised her?
    Because if it was Josepha Madigan TD whose law firm represents Maria Bailey then that will be another Fine Gael potential casualty. She is in my constituency and viewed as a bit of a rising star apparently.

Madigan resigned from the family lawfirm in 2017 which is some time after Bailey launched her action. And she has been very silent on this whole subject.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement