Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Does anyone have any point of reference for the King's Inns exams?
    Unlike the FE1s I can't find any retort/ guidance.

I've actually passed the FE1s so I'm no stranger to the work. However, is there more depth required does anyone know? Ie. 3Q in 3 hours (out of 5Qs)

Out of interest, if you have passed the FE1s and have a training contract, are you not just better off seeing the TC out and then transferring to the Bar after qualifying? I think there's a less onerous process for those who are already specially qualified -- like a solicitor.

I don't relly know the ins and outs of it, but I was just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Out of interest, if you have passed the FE1s and have a training contract, are you not just better off seeing the TC out and then transferring to the Bar after qualifying? I think there's a less onerous process for those who are already specially qualified -- like a solicitor.

I don't relly know the ins and outs of it, but I was just curious.

Yeah you'd be wondering lol.
    I've been in practice 8/9months now and it ain't for me.
    I've actually been in 3 firms over the years, so it's not that one firm either.

The role of a barrister is more me.
    The barrister degree makes you quite attractive if you were to convert too (less than 100 qualifying a year) and it's a whole lot easier to convert from barrister to solicitor than vice versa.

I hear your point though. Yep it's not an easy choice but too many people are blinded by the idea of being a solicitor and then realise 'hold on... is this It?'.
    I'm just acting before it is too late and can always convert if it didn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Have people submitted their ppc1 application?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yeah you'd be wondering lol.
    I've been in practice 8/9months now and it ain't for me.
    I've actually been in 3 firms over the years, so it's not that one firm either.

The role of a barrister is more me.
    The barrister degree makes you quite attractive if you were to convert too (less than 100 qualifying a year) and it's a whole lot easier to convert from barrister to solicitor than vice versa.

I hear your point though. Yep it's not an easy choice but too many people are blinded by the idea of being a solicitor and then realise 'hold on... is this It?'.
    I'm just acting before it is too late and can always convert if it didn't work out.
    BL degrees are not uncommon. While there are fewer than 100 per year qualifying now, you have to remember that up until the crash, that number was 220-250 per year. Barristers are 10-a-penny so to speak, as against the demand for the qualification. The degree was hugely cheapened by a period of what can only be termed downright greed. Even 80-100 or whatever the number is now is far too many for an already flooded market.

Add to the above the fact that barristers fees have been riven over the past 10 years to a point where most of the work just isn't worth the time. I know people reading this will be thinking "ah, it can't be that bad..." Frankly, it is. The mainstay of the bar for years was personal injuries, by far the most common kind of case for any civil practitioner. Both in terms of volume of cases and fees for them, this has fallen away completely and is now not alone capable of sustaining anyone at the bar (a few of the busier and better-known practitioners aside, who have the caseload to absorb the pitiful fees.)

In terms of solid figures in relation to the above. When I started at the bar 10 years ago, a Circuit Court personal injuries claim that settled after setting down for trial would be probably €1,500-2,000 for the Plaintiff JC. These are typically €600-750 now. If it settles before setting down for trial, you get the fee for drafting the summons (maybe some pity money on top) so, €200-300. There are many reasons why this is the case but market economics accounts for a proportion of it.

There are absolutely no guarantees of success no matter how good you are. On the basis of my observations at the bar, some factors that will influence how successful you are might be (in this order) family connections, other pre-existing connections (former colleagues, political etc.), luck, personality (affability, exuberance, even eccentricity), who you devil with, what school you went to, how good-looking you are, how memorable your name is...[long list of other things.]

Ability is in there somewhere in fairness but other factors will influence whether your ability ever gets discovered, and what any given barrister might consider to be "ability" can often be wildly different from what (a) other barristers (b) judges and (c) solicitors consider to be ability.

You might be one of the people who can carve out a niche or work in very specific areas and become one of a very small number of practitioners in a given area but there are obvious difficulties with this approach. Primarily, a legislative reform of that area could kill your practice stone dead overnight. Secondarily, you are diluting the pool. Tertiarily (bear with me!), it's very difficult to identify niches from the outside (like any niche-targeting exercise really.)

All the other crap that self-employed people have to deal with is relevant here too. Don't forget there are huge administrative overheads to being self-employed.

The market for second-hand barristers (i.e. seeking employment qua Counsel) isn't great either - most places looking to hire in-house Counsel want Counsel with in-house experience and not litigators.

Also, litigation as a means of resolving disputes is becoming less and less "popular" - ADR is being promoted at all levels within the legal profession.

Listen, I could go on and on.

TL;DR I suppose, I would not consider a career at the bar to be a career as such, more an expensive and not very rewarding hobby.

BL degrees are not uncommon. While there are fewer than 100 per year qualifying now, you have to remember that up until the crash, that number was 220-250 per year. Barristers are 10-a-penny so to speak, as against the demand for the qualification. The degree was hugely cheapened by a period of what can only be termed downright greed. Even 80-100 or whatever the number is now is far too many for an already flooded market.

TL;DR I suppose, I would not consider a career at the bar to be a career as such, more an expensive and not very rewarding hobby.

Without quoting your full reply, insightful as it is, I wouldn't necessarily regard the profession not worth pursuing as a career. From speaking to a number of barristers in my Circuit, I may have a couple of advantages.

Of course, 24 months after you devil you can transfer to being a solicitor by doing a 3 week course and being supervised for 18 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

My reply was for everyone's benefit and not tailored to you specifically. Of course, it addressed some of the inaccuracies in your post, which is why I quoted you.

If you perceive that you have advantages, by all means, go for it. I'm not here to rain on anyone's parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

Hello everyone,

Anybody willing to swap some notes? I am looking for constitutional material I have materials for all other topics.

Tía

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

jewels652 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Anybody willing to swap some notes? I am looking for constitutional material I have materials for all other topics.

Tía

PM me with your email address. I'll send you what I have. If anyone else needs them, then you can provide them to them! I don't need anything in return.

Yohnathan wrote: »
    PM me with your email address. I'll send you what I have. If anyone else needs them, then you can provide them to them! I don't need anything in return.

Hi ya,
    Pm sent.
    Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 27 legaleagle2010

Hi all,

Would anybody have any up to date exam grids for the following subjects?

Criminal
    Contract
    Property
    Equity

thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ally1234

I think you can do the PPC1 without a training contract. You USED to be able anyways.
    Approach firms saying you'll be PPC1 finished. Fund it yourself.
    I seriously think you'll struggle to find a fully sponsored traineeship now (in June). I found it hard with a 1.1 Masters and 2.1 BCL.
    I found two then and ended up taking neither

I can fund the PPC1 course myself so that is not a problem. Its securing an apprenticeship before September is my biggest task. I assumed i needed an indenture signed by a training solicitor allowing me to enter Blackhall. I may be wrong though. I will contact the Law Society today and get it confirmed either way. If i could get PPC1 out of the way for 2019/early 2020 that would be a weight off my mind! Thanks for all your advice and best of luck with your endeavors with Kings Inn!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Has anyone worked in a big firm and a smaller practice? I’m thinking of moving and can’t make up my mind! Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭vid36

ally1234 wrote: »
    I can fund the PPC1 course myself so that is not a problem. Its securing an apprenticeship before September is my biggest task. I assumed i needed an indenture signed by a training solicitor allowing me to enter Blackhall. I may be wrong though. I will contact the Law Society today and get it confirmed either way. If i could get PPC1 out of the way for 2019/early 2020 that would be a weight off my mind! Thanks for all your advice and best of luck with your endeavors with Kings Inn!

The deadline for PPC1 applications is June 14 and I am unsure whether there is an additional fee for late applications.

vid36 wrote: »
    The deadline for PPC1 applications is June 14 and I am unsure whether there is an additional fee for late applications.

They'll accept applications up until late August I'm told by them previously. I think it's 50 euro extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 lawyersuffolk

what are the best subjects to together - i have Contract, Constitutional, EU, Tort and Company left to do and want to sit 3 next sitting and 2 the following March. Any suggestions from experience or people doing the next sitting?

what are the best subjects to together - i have Contract, Constitutional, EU, Tort and Company left to do and want to sit 3 next sitting and 2 the following March. Any suggestions from experience or people doing the next sitting?

I'd do Contract, Tort and Constitutional.
    EU is voluminous but straightforward.
    Company is a mixed bag.

I would do EU, Contract and Company.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dancing Obsession

Hi everyone, I'm thinking of doing FE1 prep courses and I'm hesitating if Griffith, Independent or City and if it should take in person or online. Please advise

Mod
    Pls do not discuss the various courses here. PM only

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dancing Obsession

jewels652 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Tía
    I can swap for past papers for property law.

Hi everyone, I'm thinking of doing FE1 prep courses and I'm hesitating if Griffith, Independent or City and if it should take in person or online. Please advise
    What subjects are you planning to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ally1234

They'll accept applications up until late August I'm told by them previously. I think it's 50 euro extra.

I contacted Law Society Friday, and they confirm the following for anyone hoping to enter Blackhall this autumn:-
    1. The indenture needs to be signed by the training solicitor before a trainee can apply;
    2. Applications accepted up until end of August;
    3. A late registration fee of €50.00 attaches.

Best of luck to all the trainee job hunters out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I'm making my study timetable, could anyone run me through what the main Company topics are?

The only subject I have 0 notes on

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ahona

vid36 wrote: »
    What subjects are you planning to do?
    I need some advice on this too. But unfortunately cannot discuss this on thread :-|

Please help!

Mod
    As far as this mod is concerned, no problem about discussing various subjects as such.
    The difficulty arises from discussion of merits or otherwise of various lecturers, colleges, examiners etc or trading material apart from exam grids.
    Good luck all

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Hi All,

I'm aiming to take my first 4 (for the second time) this October. I attempted them in October 2017, but needless to say, it didn't go my way!

Can anyone suggest a good timeline for when to start revising? I'm aiming to take Property, Constitutional, Equity and Contract. I'm working full time but I'm used to studying in the evenings as I did my LLB at night. I was thinking of starting in August but I don't know if that leaves me too tight.

Any help/insight would be great.

Thanks!

Hi All,

I'm aiming to take my first 4 (for the second time) this October. I attempted them in October 2017, but needless to say, it didn't go my way!

Can anyone suggest a good timeline for when to start revising? I'm aiming to take Property, Constitutional, Equity and Contract. I'm working full time but I'm used to studying in the evenings as I did my LLB at night. I was thinking of starting in August but I don't know if that leaves me too tight.

Any help/insight would be great.

Thanks!

Depends on where you are with the material.
    Ie. Is it with fresh eyes or revisionist.

I would start about 12 weeks out at the latest.
    With an aim of about 3 hours a day roughly.

I used to study 90min in morning (up at 6am) and then do 90 mins of another subject in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 lawyersuffolk

Does anyone have any EU or tort notes to swap? I have property, criminal and equity typed out notes

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Silence88

Does anyone have any EU or tort notes to swap? I have property, criminal and equity typed out notes

I have Tort notes. Pm me

I can swap for past papers for property law.

Yes pm your email please

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lisac223

Would any kind soul please send me their grids for company, EU and contract?

I can swap grids for property, tort, criminal & equity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Jennifermc91

Hi all, I’ve started a prep course this for my first sitting of the fe1s in October. Feeling *slightly* overwhelmed! Anyone in the same boat? Help!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement