Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AHgibson

Hi all, I’ve started a prep course this for my first sitting of the fe1s in October. Feeling *slightly* overwhelmed! Anyone in the same boat? Help!

I've started a prep course for my first sitting in October too. I've just finished up my ll.b.

I know it seems like a lot of information all at once but best I can say is to just break everything down into manageable chunks and stay on top of the study.

Are you splitting up the exams or going for all 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lisac223

Does anyone know where I can buy a cheaper version of the Companies Act 2014? Amazon etc price it at €99 and I definitely don't have that kind of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LauraLeo

Hi

Does anyone have the latest tort grid and/or a copy of the last 2 papers for tort?

L

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

AHgibson wrote: »
    I've started a prep course for my first sitting in October too. I've just finished up my ll.b.

I know it seems like a lot of information all at once but best I can say is to just break everything down into manageable chunks and stay on top of the study.

Are you splitting up the exams or going for all 8?

As someone who has been through the FE1s and come out the other side- (barely):

Doing all 8 in one sitting is nothing short of utter insanity.
    Pick your 3 easiest and maybe 1 or 2 difficult.
    Don't sit 3.
    And whatever you do .... don't sit 8

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AHgibson

As someone who has been through the FE1s and come out the other side- (barely):

Doing all 8 in one sitting is nothing short of utter insanity.
    Pick your 3 easiest and maybe 1 or 2 difficult.
    Don't sit 3.
    And whatever you do .... don't sit 8

I definitely would not attempt all 8 in one sitting, I can appreciate how mentally sapping that would be!

I've chosen to sit equity, EU, tort, and company. I only just finished studying equity and EU this year in my llb so they are they freshest subjects in my mind. I really enjoyed tort and company also so I chose to sit them this round too

• Advertisement

AHgibson wrote: »
    I definitely would not attempt all 8 in one sitting, I can appreciate how mentally sapping that would be!

I've chosen to sit equity, EU, tort, and company. I only just finished studying equity and EU this year in my llb so they are they freshest subjects in my mind. I really enjoyed tort and company also so I chose to sit them this round too

Equity trips A LOT of people up.
    EU was ok but voluminous.
    Tort voluminous too and can be hit/miss.
    Company seems to be either easy or tough.

Answering is different to the degree formats so you'll need to practice.

IMHO I'd do Criminal as it's easy. Do it as a fifth subject or instead of Company.
    Be lousy to fail 2 and pass 2

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Roisin_Law

I didn't get an email on Friday about the re-check results. Does that mean they won't be released till Friday the 21st of June?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

lisac223 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can buy a cheaper version of the Companies Act 2014? Amazon etc price it at €99 and I definitely don't have that kind of money!

Few second hand ones up for sale on adverts at the moment. Already tabbed and highlighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Roisin_Law wrote: »
    I didn't get an email on Friday about the re-check results. Does that mean they won't be released till Friday the 21st of June?

Not necessarily. They can sometimes only send that email the week of or even the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Howyaaa

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to sit my first set of exams in October. I had planned on sitting 3; Contract, Criminal and Tort. However I've been advised to sit 4 due to the fact that you are required to pass 3 in your first sitting. I thought perhaps that by only sitting 3 rather than 4 that I will have more of a chance of passing given that I'd have less content to study. Any thoughts/tips?

I was also wondering if it is ok to use 2016 manuals for a 2019 sitting? They are a lot cheaper to buy and the law hasn't changed too much since then in the subjects mentioned.

Many thanks in advance 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ahona

Anyone knows how many days Law Society takes to process Preliminary Exam exemption application?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Howyaaa wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to sit my first set of exams in October. I had planned on sitting 3; Contract, Criminal and Tort. However I've been advised to sit 4 due to the fact that you are required to pass 3 in your first sitting. I thought perhaps that by only sitting 3 rather than 4 that I will have more of a chance of passing given that I'd have less content to study. Any thoughts/tips?

I was also wondering if it is ok to use 2016 manuals for a 2019 sitting? They are a lot cheaper to buy and the law hasn't changed too much since then in the subjects mentioned.

Many thanks in advance 😄

I would advise sitting 4 in case you have an unlucky day!

2016 material is fine I think, constitutional law might be the only one that requires recent case law.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Howyaaa

Thanks for the feedback! Mind if I also ask what your thoughts are as to the easiest Fe-1 subjects? I've heard that criminal is the easiest. I'm trying to decide whether to do constitutional in the first sitting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ally1234

What are peoples thoughts on the new hybrid PPC1 course?? I received notification today that from January 2020 the PPC1 course will commence online, a great help for applicants who are unable to relocate to Dublin!! PPC 1 exams will then be held in October 2020. Ordinary PPC1 (attending onsite ) will commence as usual in September. A positive step in the right direction, given the current rental crisis. The system is changing, at long last!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Lostudent

ally1234 wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts on the new hybrid PPC1 course?? I received notification today that from January 2020 the PPC1 course will commence online, a great help for applicants who are unable to relocate to Dublin!! PPC 1 exams will then be held in October 2020. Ordinary PPC1 (attending onsite ) will commence as usual in September. A positive step in the right direction, given the current rental crisis. The system is changing, at long last!

I almost cried when I got that email. I've been complaining to everyone who would listen (and many who wouldn't) for months how insane it was that we are expected to move to Dublin to do a course that could so easily be online. It almost feels too good to be true!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭vid36

Lostudent wrote: »
    I almost cried when I got that email. I've been complaining to everyone who would listen (and many who wouldn't) for months how insane it was that we are expected to move to Dublin to do a course that could so easily be online. It almost feels too good to be true!

I am sure that it will be very popular. The big firms will also want to have trainees in the office during the PPC1 period.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Reya10

Howyaaa wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Many thanks in advance 😄

Definitely do 4, there is always a high chance of getting one or even two curveball papers that can trip you up even if you’re well prepared! I know so many people who did 3 and only passed 2, yes it is more work but you still have lots of time until October and it just gives you an extra chance of getting the magic 3.

Criminal is one of the easiest ones but sexual offences have changed a lot since 2016 so would advise you to get an up to date manual for that chapter at least. Contract is fine, tort is ok too but it’s a big course so can be hard to learn it all. The problem with old manuals is that you might be missing some recent case law which can cost you marks in some questions, but for the most part you should be ok.

I’d advise you to take property as a 4th subject, it’s pretty straightforward and shorter than constitutional or EU. Haven’t done equity or company yet myself so can’t really advise but as some people have said equity can be hit and miss so maybe avoid it for the first sitting!

Yeah a girl I know in the LS told me about this in April (but I didn't share as details were unconfirmed).
    It's Jan - November and you attend Dublin for a 3 day weekend once a month. Also, 2 full weeks during 2020.
    Then after this (Nov 2020) you can start the 2yr traineeship. You can apply for 5 months in-practice credit if working during the PPC1.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

ally1234 wrote:

ally1234 wrote:

Does that mean that for candidates who missed out on attending ppc1 this September can sign up for January if pass all exams this October??

Does that mean that for candidates who missed out on attending ppc1 this September can sign up for January if pass all exams this October??

You can if places are still available. I contacted them.The application packs for the new PPC1 modular are being prepared and should be available by the end of next week. It seems to be a separate process to Friday's deadline so maybe a good idea to hold back on the application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

Hi Folks, I put-off the the exams two years ago and will probably start studying later this year with a view to sitting the first four early next year. I have the 2016-17 manuals from Griffith for Contract, Equity and Property, and I was wondering if these would be too old to use in 2020? I also have a Constitutional manual but I think I might do Criminal as my fourth so will probably just buy an up to date manual for this. Thanks for the help!

neon123 wrote: »
    Hi Folks, I put-off the the exams two years ago and will probably start studying later this year with a view to sitting the first four early next year. I have the 2016-17 manuals from Griffith for Contract, Equity and Property, and I was wondering if these would be too old to use in 2020? I also have a Constitutional manual but I think I might do Criminal as my fourth so will probably just buy an up to date manual for this. Thanks for the help!

There has been various Constitutional cases / issues you'll be missing.
    As for the others, you're mostly ok.
    Cross reference Night Before Notes for cases 2016-2019
    Also NUTSHELL revisionary books are handy at 25e

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

Thanks Tony, I’ll probably just go ahead and update the Constitutional manual when I get around to preparing for that exam. Thanks for the tip on the nutshells, I found it very hard trying to get the cases to stick in my head last time I tried to study and found it difficult keeping them all in my head! Hopefully they would help a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lawls123

Can anyone who got this email regarding the changes to PPC1 post it here? Changed email addresses and didnt get the details!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭leavingcert17

Is this available for people who pass the rest of exams in October 2019 I wonder or just people who have applied for PPC1 this September? This would really be amazing!

Is this available for people who pass the rest of exams in October 2019 I wonder or just people who have applied for PPC1 this September? This would really be amazing!
    There are limited number of places and the application process is separate to the September PPC1.Hopefully, there still are places for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KMPT

I'm ecstatic! Oh man. It's like I'm in a very very nice dream. I'm in bed with the cold but I have a silly constant grin on my face. Thank you Jesus! I can fulfill my dream. I live in Waterford and I have a young child so moving back to Dublin for just some months isn't feasible. But now I can go ahead and do my Fe-1s. May God bless the person who came up with the idea. You have changed so many people's lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 legallywrecked

Are the recheck results coming out today or is it going to be next friday? anyone get any emails?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

Best of luck everyone on the rechecks, I received mine in the post there.

I needed Company to go from a 42 to a pass to get my magic three.

Recheck came back as 54. Very happy.

It's not a totting up of the marks again in Company anyway.

It looks to me that you have the best chance of going up in Company. I received a lot of messages where people had gone up significantly in this subject or heard of people who had. The external examiner marks much fairer than the internal and thankfully the original mark doesn't seem to affect them when rechecking.

Mod
    Pls do not compare various examiners here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

Do you have a link for more information on this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement