Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Werewolf discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Nothing confirmed yet but more than likely toward the later half of the month

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

kitten_k wrote: »
    Nothing confirmed yet but more than likely toward the later half of the month

Cool I'll prob hurl up a sign up thread when this game concludes. Will be limiting sign-ups to 17 so we don't over-run into yours or effect it

Ye can have COP though I'll use the other place :) - assuming sKeith is ok with that!

QB is gonna be my co-mod for this one btw :D

Cool I'll confirm dates with my co-mods once this game is over.

I'd watch out for the QB one - she looks a bit dodgy :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

OMG Necro sign me up already, would love another slow burner. Can’t manage the faster ones with work :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

TheSkunk wrote:
    OMG Necro sign me up already, would love another slow burner. Can’t manage the faster ones with work

:o It may have a correlation between me playing and thread speed/high post counts.

Soz! I'll pop up the thread when the current game concludes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Necro wrote: »
    Cool I'll prob hurl up a sign up thread when this game concludes. Will be limiting sign-ups to 17 so we don't over-run into yours or effect it

Ye can have COP though I'll use the other place :) - assuming sKeith is ok with that!

QB is gonna be my co-mod for this one btw :D

work away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

TheSkunk wrote: »
    OMG Necro sign me up already, would love another slow burner. Can’t manage the faster ones with work :)

Oh I'll have in on that too please. I'm away the next few days will ya hold me a spot

Clarabel wrote: »
    Oh I'll have in on that too please. I'm away the next few days will ya hold me a spot

I'll do better than that I'll consider you and TheSkunk already signed up :)

15 spots still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

15 spots still open.

Given I'm basically on summer holidays now I'm tempted to bagsy myself a spot too!

Sane person in September: What did you do for summer Ecto?"

Me: Played werewolf

Them:

*tumbleweed*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

15 spots still open.

Yessssss thanks Necro! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

What’s the story with the slow burner games? The quicker games are fun but intense and I can’t stay away from them. Would the same problem not exist in a longer game and the only difference is really that’s its much longer?

Drumpot wrote: »
    What’s the story with the slow burner games? The quicker games are fun but intense and I can’t stay away from them. Would the same problem not exist in a longer game and the only difference is really that’s its much longer?

The last one so burner felt like a really long normal game but the post count limit has been halved for this one so should be much better

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Yeah. With a post limit of 50 per game-day (35 calendar hours), there won't be the same intensity. Or shouldn't be. It's only the second one we've done, and we're still tweaking it. The last one had 100 posts limit which was possibly too much as even the most talkative of us failed to reach that high. There were also 4 more players than the upcoming one, and it went to the wire, so did take a long time.

However in theory it is meant to be less intense, frantic, time-consuming to play.

Basically the idea behind the slow burners is that you have much more time to read and catch up on the thread.

Also you won't have post-aholics just monopolising the proceedings (Exhibit A, Necro) all day.

In theory it's meant to be less intense until 2 hours prior to the lynch when people need to discuss things, and then ye can post away until the lynch results are announced.

That's the theory anyways. So far they've been less role heavy as well.

So far...:D

Okay, an analysis based on the last game, Hunger Games. Taking the start as 26th May at 14:27 when Sully gave the go, and the end of each player's time being the time the notice of their death was posted, only 7 out of 24 players posted more than 50 posts per day (obviously that's calendar days, and is a bit skewed with the speed days Thursday and Friday). That's without trying. So 50 posts per day is reasonable but should cut out the more loquacious of players.

Player|Final Post Count|Date ended|Days Lasted|Posts per Day
    Henry WW|573|30-May 21:04|4.3|134
    Gabriel WW|346|29-May 10:03|2.8|122.8
    Phil WW|421|30-May 14:35|4|105.1
    Conor WW|398|31-May 18:37|5.2|76.9
    Eva WW|153|28-May 21:03|2.3|67.3
    Clodagh WW|203|29-May 21:06|3.3|61.9
    Frank WW|229|30-May 10:04|3.8|60
    ||||
    Liam WW|179|30-May 17:57|4.1|43.2
    Gertrude WW|167|30-May 12:54|3.9|42.4
    Brendan WW|161|31-May 16:02|5.1|31.8
    Steve WW|87|29-May 10:03|2.8|30.9
    Desmond WW|38|27-May 20:54|1.3|30
    Doris WW|144|31-May 18:37|5.2|27.8
    Angus WW|118|30-May 21:04|4.3|27.6
    Jake WW|134|31-May 18:37|5.2|25.9
    Wendy WW|100|30-May 16:00|4.1|24.6
    Oisin WW|29|27-May 21:06|1.3|22.7
    Fiona WW|28|28-May 10:02|1.8|15.4
    Barbara WW|46|30-May 12:54|3.9|11.7
    Tegan WW|21|28-May 10:02|1.8|11.6
    Riona WW|49|31-May 13:33|5|9.9
    Holly WW|17|28-May 10:02|1.8|9.4
    Abigail WW|6|27-May 10:01|0.8|7.4
    Mary WW|2|27-May 10:01|0.8|2.5

[Necro, I'm disappointed :(]

quickbeam wrote: »

[Necro, I'm disappointed :(]

:pac: I'm in second place after dying on Wednesday morning :P

Do you want me to gif bomb the place or something:D

It's pro-rata.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

:pac: I'm in second place after dying on Wednesday morning :P

Do you want me to gif bomb the place or something:D

Isn't that your job?

I'm quite surprised at mine. I was trying to lay low for the first couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Proof Conor was lying about poor poisoned Phil :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Rikand wrote: »
    In

Will be phone posting the whole way through averaging about 20 posts a day

Just above 20 a day. Right on target :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Everyone please note the update to the FG charter.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101303865#post101303865

If you have any questions, please PM a mod or use the relevant discussion thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Just a couple of points I would like to put forward from a mod pov following the last game.

We had quite a serious breach of the rules in the last game, although technically there was no breach as its not in the rules but should be obvious. A player, known they were dead, posted vital info in the shared br before we sorted permissions. It didnt have any bearing on the game overall as far as I can tell. Also we noticed players posted in the brs before the game went live on boards. Maybe we need to explicitally state this in the rules, no posting in the br untill game goes live or after you are announced dead. Probably not an issue for most games unless you are using a shared br setup like we did on hg.

Also noticed, as with most games, players accidently posting in their own accs in an anon. As I suggested to my co mods, maybe we should auto revoke ww forum permissions for ever player who signs up for an anon. Extra work for the forum mods so its something they would need to decide on. Im not sure how much of an affect on the game posting in your own acc has but I think its better it doesnt happen.

Finally, with all the interest currently in modding and playing, could we have a case for running bi monthly themed games. Might dilute the rosters but could give players a chance to get their favourite themes out there. Of course we have the slow burners running which are an excellent addition. Thoughts?

Kolido wrote:
    We had quite a serious breach of the rules in the last game, although technically there was no breach as its not in the rules but should be obvious. A player, known they were dead, posted vital info in the shared br before we sorted permissions. It didnt have any bearing on the game overall as far as I can tell. Also we noticed players posted in the brs before the game went live on boards. Maybe we need to explicitally state this in the rules, no posting in the br untill game goes live or after you are announced dead. Probably not an issue for most games unless you are using a shared br setup like we did on hg.

Should be a given but yeah maybe having it in the rules is a good idea. The dead people can't talk rule should really cover it imo.
    Kolido wrote:
    Also noticed, as with most games, players accidently posting in their own accs in an anon. As I suggested to my co mods, maybe we should auto revoke ww forum permissions for ever player who signs up for an anon. Extra work for the forum mods so its something they would need to decide on. Im not sure how much of an affect on the game posting in your own acc has but I think its better it doesnt happen.

I was thinking about this: I think a slip should mean you quote the post you slipped with and then, via forum mods, you have your normal account permissions removed. You then have to re-request access ahead of the next non-anon game. Exception to this is forum mods who unfortunately can't have their access removed.
    Kolido wrote:
    Finally, with all the interest currently in modding and playing, could we have a case for running bi monthly themed games. Might dilute the rosters but could give players a chance to get their favourite themes out there. Of course we have the slow burners running which are an excellent addition. Thoughts?

No hard or fast rule saying there can't be. We do need coordination between adjacent mods teams, and probably an earlier declaration of dates (with exception given to slow burn games).

That was me who posted after I was dead and I feel ****ty for doing it. I am so so sorry mod team. I know how much work you put into organising and I’m disgusted with myself for possibly messing up your game.

I dunno what else I can say but sorry :(

Kolido wrote:

Dont know the ins and outs of the above but yeah the breach is obviously a no no.

On the pregame posting, in most cases it has been always that way where discretion was applied re: backroom posting. It depends on the set up, but it wouldn't massively concern me.

Way to counter it would be to lock the threads on COP until you're ready to go.

Far more worrying to me is the amount of people who play and dont read the OP in full.

The PM discussion in the last game in particular pissed me off a lot, that is a hard and fast rule since the inception of the game here and they were openly discussed in the game thread on multiple occasions. We've had games broken over less so I'd ask again that players have a think about what they want to say publically and if it's even remotely near a line in the game rules PM the game mods and ask them first. It's only fair after they put in time and effort into the setup.

Necro wrote:
    The PM discussion in the last game in particular pissed me off a lot, that is a hard and fast rule since the inception of the game here and they were openly discussed in the game thread on multiple occasions. We've had games broken over less so I'd ask again that players have a think about what they want to say publically and if it's even remotely near a line in the game rules PM the game mods and ask them first. It's only fair after they put in time and effort into the setup.

That's not true. Discussion of pms hasn't been a rule in every game ever. And it's not really a hard and fast rule if people have to subjectively decide whether they should ask a mod or not.

I agree using the info in a pm shouldn't be the way to go, but that's why we started posting the nrv pms in the OP: to remove the point of discussing pms. That seems to have been discontinued lately.

What happened in this game was someone said they didn't read the pm. They didn't quote it and didn't give any info from it. Just said they didn't read it. With all due respect, I don't believe that's actually clear cut tbh.

Baggly wrote: »
    That's not true. Discussion of pms hasn't been a rule in every game ever. And it's not really a hard and fast rule if people have to subjectively decide whether they should ask a mod or not.

I agree using the info in a pm shouldn't be the way to go, but that's why we started posting the nrv pms in the OP: to remove the point of discussing pms. That seems to have been discontinued lately.

What happened in this game was someone said they didn't read the pm. They didn't quote it and didn't give any info from it. Just said they didn't read it. With all due respect, I don't believe that's actually clear cut tbh.

Completely incorrect -

From Game 1:
    4) No posting of any PM's from the game mod or referring to the content of them.

And from this game:
    5. All players will receive PMs, please no copying and pasting of PMs that we send you, nor will you be allowed copy and paste anything from any backroom you may or may not have. If you want to discuss the content of a PM with the village, please discuss it with the Mods first before discussing any PMs on thread.

The player in question (and then multiple others) referred to content contained within the PMs repeatedly, a blatant breach of the rule.

It's completely clear cut imo

Necro wrote:
    Completely incorrect -

I didn't say it didn't feature in game 1. I said it hasn't been in every game.

If its a clear breach then its ups to game mods to adjudicate. I disagree it was a clear breach and disagree these things can be clear cut, so we can agree to disagree.

Baggly wrote: »
    I didn't say it didn't feature in game 1. I said it hasn't been in every game.

If its a clear breach then its ups to game mods to adjudicate. I disagree it was a clear breach and disagree these things can be clear cut, so we can agree to disagree.

Any PM discussion on the game thread should only be with prior game mod approval. That was even ironclad in the rules for this game.

When I was stabbed, I specifically asked permission before I shared that information on the thread, as it came from a PM.

Once the player revealed they had not read their PM, multiple players referred (and were able to identify themselves (albeit incorrectly) to each other) to the content contained within.

I agree that the final decision on sanction within the game lies with the game mods, but I can't see how it can be argued it wasn't a breach.

It even required a game mod to post on thread to stop the discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

What’s the story with copying posts from COP ? I don’t see anything specific in rules ( edit is BR Cop?)that prevents people from doing it yet some thought they had to retype posts themselves to make sure it wasn’t agaisnt rules.

Also, why does it look like 29 people are viewing in the ww forum? There’s no games on but it looks full of people!

Advertisement