Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Werewolf discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

This whole comparison makes no sense mods aren't players they are game creators so they can't cheat only players can cheat as only players can win

So,

The dealer is in charge of a 3 handed game of poker, and he swaps out player 1's cards which would have been 7 2 with a K J, because that would be more interesting up against player 2's QQ and player 3's AK.

The players have no idea the dealer was manupilating the deck.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Banjo wrote: »
    A referee who gives a penalty on a dodgy call because he's intimidated by the home crowd or the big occasion is not impartial.
    A referee who gives a penalty on a dodgy call because he has €10,000 on the game is cheating.

5vQxvabkDHrT.gif

A referee who gives a penalty on a dodgy call because he's intimidated by the home crowd or the big occasion is not impartial.
    A referee who gives a penalty on a dodgy call because he has €10,000 on the game is cheating.

Is that just an example or is financial gain the only way a ref could be considered a cheat?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Is that just an example or is financial gain the only way a ref could be considered a cheat?

sKeith's example is better. Pter is bound to move it here once he realises that he hadn't moved your post over yet. But yes, one example.

Dunno what game the ref is reffing but i'll try gereralize it.

The ref maybe knows that the losers are going home, and the winners will stay around for the next rounds, so rigs it so the people he don't like are knocked out and have to go home.

• Advertisement

sKeith wrote: »
    Dunno what game the ref is reffing but i'll try gereralize it.

The ref maybe knows that the losers are going home, and the winners will stay around for the next rounds, so rigs it so the people he don't like are knocked out and have to go home.

Ya but is that cheating or just biased. Ah look I'm probably way off here its probably just poor understanding on my part so I'll stand corrected on this. I'm like 80% convinced :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

sKeith wrote:

That's a risk in any game (dodgy refs / mods / GM's). It's the issue I raised in D&D discussion a couple of months ago, to no obvious solution. It's a problem the Rand doesn't actually rule out. How easy is it to fix a Rand? Very.

As was pointed out to me for D&D there is always going to be a requirement for trust within a game.

Now what qb and molly and in fairness to ye probably you guys as well have pointed out about the draft meaning mod picks can be anticipated....well I don't know about that. Put aside players won't know there is a draft, even if they do, will they know I picked my picks based off who is best for the role, or based off 'well let's see if he is good in this role' or based off 'lets give the beginners a couple of the power roles to make sure they get experience'. They won't.

And if it was suggested to do a day 1 lynch off the back of 'maybe the mods did a draft' that would be dismissed by a village as quickly as a low poster hunt. For much the same reasons. Because it's not actually based on any good evidence at all.

Kolido wrote:
    Wouldnt be gone on the idea of drafting tbh. I dont think we've ever had a game become unplayable because someone no showed or had to drop out. If you are drafting players to roles because you can trust them to be around then you'd end up drafting the same bunch of players every time.

I know one that came very very close.

As I mentioned above, that was one criteria that I used for my 4 picks. The other mods used different criteria. That's why we had a good mix of players and why the players selected weren't all just our boards bestos.

Pter wrote: »
    That's a risk in any game (dodgy refs / mods / GM's). It's the issue I raised in D&D discussion a couple of months ago, to no obvious solution. It's a problem the Rand doesn't actually rule out. How easy is it to fix a Rand? Very.

As was pointed out to me for D&D there is always going to be a requirement for trust within a game.

Now what qb and molly and in fairness to ye probably you guys as well have pointed out about the draft meaning mod picks can be anticipated....well I don't know about that. Put aside players won't know there is a draft, even if they do, will they know I picked my picks based off who is best for the role, or based off 'well let's see if he is good in this role' or based off 'lets give the beginners a couple of the power roles to make sure they get experience'. They won't.

And if it was suggested to do a day 1 lynch off the back of 'maybe the mods did a draft' that would be dismissed by a village as quickly as a low poster hunt. For much the same reasons. Because it's not actually based on any good evidence at all.

You're comparing apples to assault rifles. Werewolf is a game with rules. D&D is a game with guidelines. And The Rule Of Cool

On the examples, the 10k on one team one is based on the ref profiting, so that doesn't really translate.

The poker one is describing the dealer making tactical changes mid game, not strategic ones pregame. The poker one is more akin to why mods shouldn't tamper with a game while it's ongoing. It's a better argument for why we shouldn't rebalance during a game.

The poker comparison here, I think, is that the player loads the table with people he knows are bad players with one shark.

• Advertisement

Both are internet forum games banjo. It's not chalk and cheese.

The game in question had rules and they were followed.

A Rand requires just as much trust in the mod team as a draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

Just skimming, so don’t mind me. I didn’t realise that a schoolyard pick was a possaible way of assigning teams in this game, will this be the case in the LOTR game?

The game in question had rules and they were followed.

A Rand requires just as much trust in the mod team as a draft.

I have tried.

Good luck.
    May you find a better teacher than I.

Appreciate the discussion Banjo!

Just skimming, so don’t mind me. I didn’t realise that a schoolyard pick was a possaible way of assigning teams in this game, will this be the case in the LOTR game?

Well we are discussing if mods picking players if one way to do it. Do you have any thoughts?

Oops, missed this bit. Can't let this go. But I'm ranting and you won't read it all so

Tl;Dr:

In D&D typically the players choose their roles. Why not give that a go next time you're modding Werewolf?

Are they the same?

I didnt say they are the same. They just arent as different as apples and assault rifles! Yours is an overly simplistic comparison, but then i did ask for simplicity.

We can agree to disagree?

Never :)
    Now put your phone away and drink - you're being antisocial!

I will definitely agree to that.

Haha checkmate.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

quickbeam wrote: »
    Another point against non-rand. NRVs are left thinking they weren’t good enough to be given roles. I know someone has to be NRV and not everyone can get a role but it is sorta like being picked last during school sports day.

Look, I’m all for trying new stuff and have no objection that this was tried. But I too would vote for rand only in future.

Agree with this, I think a draft only really works if everyone has a role. With NRVs in the mix it can just feel unfair if its not random.
    Oops, missed this bit. Can't let this go. But I'm ranting and you won't read it all so

Tl;Dr:

In D&D typically the players choose their roles. Why not give that a go next time you're modding Werewolf?

Are they the same?

Ran a few less serious game before like that - where players picked their roles, also one where players picked roles for other people. Overall it worked quite well, and led to some hilarious games.

• Advertisement

sKeith wrote:
    viewpost.gif

In most games, if similar happened, it would be called cheating.
    listing of few games where it would be called cheating;
    chess
    draughts
    poker
    scrabble
    etc..
    This whole comparison makes no sense mods aren't players they are game creators so they can't cheat only players can cheat as only players can win
    So,

The dealer is in charge of a 3 handed game of poker, and he swaps out player 1's cards which would have been 7 2 with a K J, because that would be more interesting up against player 2's QQ and player 3's AK.

The players have no idea the dealer was manupilating the deck.
    On the examples, the 10k on one team one is based on the ref profiting, so that doesn't really translate.

The poker one is describing the dealer making tactical changes mid game, not strategic ones pregame. The poker one is more akin to why mods shouldn't tamper with a game while it's ongoing. It's a better argument for why we shouldn't rebalance during a game.

The poker comparison here, I think, is that the player loads the table with people he knows are bad players with one shark.

That particular example was not in response to any WW discussion, but in response to the "only players can cheat as only players can win" response.

I could have made similar examples for each of the games. Yes, you can call it bias or favoritism or any other name, but is not letting the players play the game fairly and grind out a result. If the player can feel cheated out of that, can it not be called cheating. Mick, I'm not 100% sure either, but i've nearly convinced myself it can be.

All the games I mentioned have rules that can be changed, but if you ever play any of them games, you agree to the rules before the game.

Poker has many variations all with different rules. But once you have declared, we're playing 5 card draw, you'll get serious back looks from the other players if you go and deal yourself 7 cards and everybody else 5 cards.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Just skimming, so don't mind me. I didn't realise that a schoolyard pick was a possaible way of assigning teams in this game, will this be the case in the LOTR game?

No. Can confirm game will be done via random assignment on random.org

I know one thing I've established from this discussion anyways.

Banjo should play more games of WW :P

Necro wrote: »
    I know one thing I've established from this discussion anyways.

Banjo should play more games of WW :P

And you don't have to watch my hands closely when I'm dealing out the ww cards.

And you don't have to watch my hands closely when I'm dealing out the ww cards.

You probably shouldn't watch my hands, I'm a crap shuffler. Likely to drop them all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

I'm kinda on QBs line of thinking, not mad on the draft myself. I can see the thoughts of a mod with doing it but we wanna keep on open house and new players would be put off by it, I know I would have been.

The only way I can see it working in any guise is for example there is 10 roles, rand the roles, top 10 names get a role and mods then draft. Still random but even then I'd be hesitant to use it myself and it doesn't solve Pters problems of no shows etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

While I still think a draft option shouldn't be included in our games, i do love the idea of everyone picking roles for everyone else in a one off game. Each person gets to nominate 3 players for specific role/roles. Mods then rand the nominees and draw up the player list that way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'd be happy for a games mods to pick roles for people if it was very occasional and we don't get told. If we know it's not common place we won't read too much into things and think experienced players must have whatever role. Also I can imagine in some games especially ones where they are trying out a new role/twist on the game mods might want to have an experienced head play such a role especially if say that role being in play is something that could even up teams / odds of the teams.

Kolido wrote: »

Another 2 suggestions I'd like to put forward ( I think they may have been mentioned already) is a dedicated yearly thread that summerises each game (summary can be submitted by game mods). Summary could contain, amoung other things, player/role list, key points in the game, maybe a list of each kill, and a list of content submitted to the wolfies.

Hey Kolido.....

Your wish is my command ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Necro wrote: »
    Hey Kolido.....

Your wish is my command ;)

I love them summaries as post 2 in a game thread. Think one mod did that one game....

Advertisement