Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey to contest the European elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Nobelium wrote: »
    Same as Saosise McHugh, they can't debate policy and just resort to ad hominem.
    Some people have short memories of what happened last time they were in power. Lies, spin, cronie capitalism and destruction of the Irish economy for a generation.

Ah now - I still have my low-tax diesel outside thanks to John Gormley. They are not all bad.
    00012fec-500.jpg
    When the Fianna Fail-Green Party government overhauled car taxation in 2008, based on CO2 per kilometre, the advice from the Consumers’ Association of Ireland was clear: “Try to buy a diesel.”

Motorists did not need to be told twice. The tax regime introduced by the Green Party TD John Gormley, as environment minister, caused sales of diesel cars to balloon almost overnight. Diesels went from 28% of new cars in the first half of 2008, before the changes to motor and vehicle registration tax (VRT), to 54% in the second half of that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Nobelium wrote: »
    Same as Saosise McHugh, they can't debate policy and just resort to ad hominem.
    Some people have short memories of what happened last time they were in power. Lies, spin, cronie capitalism and destruction of the Irish economy for a generation.
    Another one who has had her day in the sun
    Now let her getback to elderberry wine and mushrooms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Edgware wrote: »
    Another one who has had her day in the sun
    Now let her getback to elderberry wine and mushrooms

Suspect it's not the last we'll see of her. Say we'll see her running to be a td. Worth remembering that Simon Harris failed to become an MEP and later became a TD. So young and capable is my conclusion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Ming has never been very good at accepting constructive criticism. It’s easy to forget how much of a crank he really is.
    Cannabas Paranoia .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

batgoat wrote: »
    Suspect it's not the last we'll see of her. Say we'll see her running to be a td. Worth remembering that Simon Harris failed to become an MEP and later became a TD. So young and capable is my conclusion.
    Where can she run? Mayo is a tough constituency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Nah, pulled in to the Senate by Greens if they go in to coalition.
    That's of course if she doesn't resign

Edgware wrote: »
    Nah, pulled in to the Senate by Greens if they go in to coalition.
    That's of course if she doesn't resign
    The Greens' have an interesting track record in what they state and resigning!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Becoming a TD for Fine Gael is much easier than becoming a TD for the Greens. The Greens only have 2 seats in the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

is_that_so wrote: »
    For all the scoffing at the Healy Rae tribe in Kerry, they work hard. He's self-important and feels he's owed a seat.

That's a bingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Where can she run? Mayo is a tough constituency.

Well I'm sure Enda Kenny is retiring and I'd say Michel Ring won't be far after him.
    That said, Green Party candidate in Mayo only got 629 first preferences at the last GE, so anything would be an improvement on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

VinLieger wrote: »
    Smith Leapfrogs Casey from McHughs transfer, Casey comes sixth and is eliminated next.

You were nearly right

• Registered Users Posts: 40,276 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You were nearly right

McHughs transfers haven't been counted yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Well I'm sure Enda Kenny is retiring and I'd say Michel Ring won't be far after him.
    That said, Green Party candidate in Mayo only got 629 first preferences at the last GE, so anything would be an improvement on that.

Isn't Enda's daughter tipped to run? Maria Walsh will almost certainly be taking a stab at the GE as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I only saw a tally for about 1/3 of the Mayo boxes but she was on about 13% fpv, not a bad base to start from

Yurt! wrote: »
    Isn't Enda's daughter tipped to run? Maria Walsh will almost certainly be taking a stab at the GE as well.

I wouldnt think so, Alan Dillon is the man being groomed

MNW Count 12

Carthy + 6,571 = 91,396
    Casey + 3,358 = 69,923
    Flanagan + 15,441 = 112,760
    Smith + 4,145 = 68,677
    Walsh + 15,825 = 96,163

Casey depending on a miracle now.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He's been depending on a miracle since the first count.

Maria is going to give up the Equivalent of winning the Lotto in Europe .

She will build up the Gold Plated pension like them all and do fook all like them all .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

FF id say are kicking themselves for running 2 candidates, can't see Casey picking up enough from Smith to close a 21k gap

• Advertisement

Did Casey even run any sort of campaign at all? And he left it very late to announce he was running. Surely he should have been eyeing this from months back and have his campaign all planned and ready to go. Im at a loss as to how this man is a successful businessman tbh. Comes across as a bit of a spoofer not to mention an a nasty tory dick

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Did Casey even run any sort of campaign at all? And he left it very late to announce he was running. Surely he should have been eyeing this from months back and have his campaign all planned and ready to go. Im at a loss as to how this man is a successful businessman tbh. Comes across as a bit of a spoofer not to mention an absolute dick

Plenty of business people that fit that description

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

No way is Walsh going to drop the MEP gig after getting the big money she only wanted.

No way is Walsh going to drop the MEP gig after getting the big money she only wanted.
    She has the Lotto numbers now for as long as she is voted in .

It should be done as a Lotto when the wages / expenses / pension/ payoff when leaving is taken into account .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

According to RTÉ, Casey said he “would only consider himself a politician when he secured office”. Am, yeah, that’s kinda how it works. :pac: If you’ve never worked as a politician, you can’t call yourself one. In other news, the Sahara is warm.

012-B4875-E4-F0-401-C-A7-A9-1-D03781-ED2-CD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,168 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Did Casey even run any sort of campaign at all? And he left it very late to announce he was running. Surely he should have been eyeing this from months back and have his campaign all planned and ready to go. Im at a loss as to how this man is a successful businessman tbh. Comes across as a bit of a spoofer not to mention an a nasty tory dick

Just goes to show you that a good businessman has absolutely nothing of an indicator as to how good or bad you will be in politics. It's as if they think making monkey makes you insightful and intelligent.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

A lot of the Smith vote could be non-transferable. According to Ming Casey was on 3% in transfers. That will not do it.

A lot of the Smith vote could be non-transferable. According to Ming Casey was on 3% in transfers. That will not do it.

thats a good point. A lot of them will have been to Anne Rabbitte.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Just goes to show you that a good businessman has absolutely nothing of an indicator as to how good or bad you will be in politics. It's as if they think making monkey makes you insightful and intelligent.

The idiot went on RTE radio in the past hour. He was asked that now his political run was unsuccessful would he consider doing something towards helping alleviate housing shortages in this country.

His response...

I have.

I bought fifteen houses.

And rented them out (no mention of affordability mind)

And he sold them on about five years ago (speculation, part of the problem, not the solution)

And they were in Derry.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

The idiot went on RTE radio in the past hour. He was asked that now his political run was unsuccessful would he consider doing something towards helping alleviate housing shortages in this country.

It's a pity rte couldn't be arsed asking the same to the ffg muppets who were already elected to do that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement