Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School patronage

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Nothing to stop you taking a Constitutional challenge yourself.

Why wait for someone else to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

tretorn wrote: »
    Nothing to stop you taking a Constitutional challenge yourself.

Why wait for someone else to do it.

to be fair, the potential for quite a big legal bill if one were to lose would probably be enough to deterr an average person from taking a Constitutional challenge?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

That's more like the cordial, robust responses I'm used to in our conversations (I did think earlier you'd gotten out the wrong side of the bed this morning :D).

smacl wrote: »
    Not really. A philosophy need not involve itself with probability from an objective perspective, it might be rule based or belief based and dismiss contradictory observation. Many philosophies also have a strong ethical element, e.g. secularism, Confucianism, Taoism or Christian philosophy, and as such tend deal with notions of 'good and bad' whereas critical thinking deals with 'likely or unlikely'. Many philosophies are compatible with critical thinking, e.g. secularism, others less so, e.g. dogmatic, religiously derived and belief based philosophies.

I agree with you in so far as a philosophy need not involve itself with probability from an objective perspective and so on, but regarding the idea of critical thinking being taught in schools, proponents of the idea aren't generally viewing it as an objective and methodology, but rather as a means to eliminate what they perceive to be BS which is already being taught in education. Their objective carries an underlying moral imperative not to evaluate ideas in terms of likely or unlikely, but rather to dismiss outright any notions of other philosophies which they regard as either good or bad - secularism good, religion bad. Their belief in the power of critical thinking is inherently dogmatic, because they view critical thinking as the solution to the problem, as opposed to using it in it's traditionally regarded understanding as a means and methodology to evaluate abstract ideas objectively, not unlike as it were - the scientific method, which has become tarnished IMO by science popularisers such as the main proponents behind the idea of evolutionary psychology, which in reality IMO is just pseudoscience. I'm using evolutionary psychology as an example here but it could probably be best developed in it's own thread.

The point I'm making I suppose is that modern understandings of critical thinking, appear to me at least to be no more than just a popular buzz-word for some people as a front to promote their own underlying beliefs without any real understanding of the actual principles of critical thinking as a methodology. I would view it's recent promotion in Western academia as no more than just cherry-picking, a criticism often made of religious philosophies, which to be fair has merit, but then it isn't any different from cherry-picking ideas we like from philosophies such as Buddishm, Taoism, Secularism and so on. We're not evaluating likely or unlikely there - we're determining what is good and bad based entirely upon what our prejudices bias us either towards or against. Essentially we're doing what we're supposed to be rallying against - cherry-picking based upon our own individual morals, and dressing it up as a valid philosophy. Turns out you actually can make a silk purse out of a pigs ear with the right tools and materials.

False dichotomy. I'm for teaching children how to think as opposed to what to think. I'm critical or teaching supposed truths by rote and would rather children were taught to be inquisitive and critical.

I don't agree that it's a false dichotomy, you're still having to teach children a way to think, and hope that they utilise the way you've taught them to think in how they evaluate information. This goes back to what I meant earlier when I said alluded to the point that critical thinking is a natural process anyway. Humans are already inquisitive and critical and children even more so than adults because they lack both the information and the faculties to properly evaluate new information - effectively they have very little basis upon which to form a conclusion one way or the other about new information they are presented with. One of the most common refrains from children is often "Whyyyyyy?", repeatedly, and it appears tirelessly, much to the chagrin of their adult guardians :D

Left to their own devices however, they come up with all manner of fantastical and often quite elaborate explanations and conclusions for phenomena they observe, also often much to the chagrin of their adult guardians, which is why we have people in society who want to teach children to think like they do, rather than leaving children to their own devices in their natural inquisitive and critical state, because the idea of those children becoming adults who continue to think for themselves is an affront to some people's philosophy. Therefore I can completely understand why a child's guardian or guardians would not wish for them to be exposed to philosophies which contradict that guardians philosophy. I am at least willing to admit that I do not wish my child to be exposed to philosophies which contradict my philosophy. I don't seek to dress up my prejudice in buzz-words like "critical thinking". I have no issue with other people who wish to teach their own children their philosophy. My position is no different to your objection to a philosophy you don't wish to be pushed on your children. I would view such attempts to do so as disrespectful of other people, in either direction.

Far from it. As with scientific method, critical thinking involves observation, testing, refinement and realising that you will be wrong more often than you're right. Critical thinking does not involve acting primarily on your beliefs or opinions, it involves analysing the available information with all the biases that it includes, and taking a position on that basis. That our understanding of critical thinking is changing and growing is entirely positive and to be expected. Our understanding of everything changes and grows, however much it distresses the Luddites and Flat earthers.

And just as the scientific method is misused to further people's beliefs about other people, so too is critical thinking misused to further people's beliefs about other people, because the method which is used to arrive at any conclusion is predicated upon assumed hypotheses which are based upon prior knowledge. Children generally don't have a lot of prior knowledge so will only ever be able to form limited conclusions from the limited information they have. It's an issue that already plagues the social sciences -

WEIRD subjects (perhaps you were one?) are still human, of course, so you might think that what’s generalizable to them must be generalizable to the rest of humanity. But in fact, that’s not the case. WEIRD subjects, from countries that represent only about 12 percent of the world’s population, differ from other populations in moral decision making, reasoning style, fairness, even things like visual perception. This is because a lot of these behaviors and perceptions are based on the environments and contexts in which we grew up. There’s a big dose of sociology in our psychology. For example, WEIRD people are better at optical illusions involving line length, possibly because our environments contain a lot of straight lines in things like buildings.

Goodness knows what Western students would make of hijira people for example, as their understanding of gender and sexuality doesn't map very well to Western understanding of gender, sex and sexuality. It's difficult for adults in Western society to get their heads around these concepts which contradict their understanding, let alone point out that they're often wrong more than they're right, because it's distressing for them to have to process this new and contradictory information - they will inevitably try and parse it through their own perspective which is based upon their own understanding of their own previous experiences and their own biases, more often coming to the conclusion that it's other people are weird, not them.

Better a benign methodology than a clearly malignant theology, methinks.

Now that's a false dichotomy! But I don't believe you intend it that way. However if you are going to present an argument for evaluation, surely it would be incumbent upon you to present it in the form of one or the other -

A comparison between a benign methodology and a benign theology, or a comparison between a malignant methodology and a malignant theology. Otherwise you're demonstrating my point exactly - you're saying you want to teach children how to think rather than what to think, yet how you teach them will be influenced by your own prejudices, which it has to be pointed out, aren't objective when you have already drawn your own conclusions and are using those as the basis for how you want to teach children how to think.

Of course anything which is benign would be better to teach children than something which is malignant, but wouldn't that equally apply to any idea, and on what basis are you making your evaluation if not your own prejudices and biases which are formed not by any objective evaluation, but by your own perceptions and experiences? I don't share either your perceptions or experiences so I even if I were to use the same methodology as you do, it's unlikely we would form the same objective conclusions about a given methodology or theology, and entirely likely we would still both think we had come to a conclusion we perceive to be a logical one.

It would be a very weak argument. Once we gained the ability to write and archive information, humanity began to accumulate knowledge. Some doubtless gets lost over time but at nowhere near the rate of discovery. That there are many ignorant individuals, and that some knowledge may only exist in archive rather than in the mind of any given person, doesn't mean that knowledge doesn't exist.

Undoubtedly the knowledge still exists, but my point was in relation to the sum of human knowledge, and I don't agree that the rate of discovery actually has changed over time, I would suggest that the rate of dissemination of what knowledge we have has increased over time, largely due to the means we have to communicate that knowledge. That accumulated knowledge isn't going to be disseminated if people see no value in it, and that's why so much of the knowledge that we had accumulated is lost, because it isn't passed on, and given that there are moves to remove history as a compulsory subject in the school curriculum, it would be logical to conclude that the people arguing for history to be removed as a compulsory subject see no value in retaining that knowledge. Santayana would be doing about 9,000RPM in his grave about now :pac:

Which evidence precisely?

Well the Age of Enlightenment started off with some great ideas, and it looked for a time like humanity was headed towards a royal flush with the expedient dissemination of knowledge thanks in no small part to as you alluded earlier the invention of the printing press, but in the Age of Social Media, that knowledge appears to be of very little value to people who appear to be more concerned with keeping up with the Kardashians and celebrity culture.

You couldn't be more wrong on this one. AI, notably deep learning in its current incarnation, is all about making informed decisions based on identifying patterns in data under analysis that are similar to patterns in a much large set of training data. MIT did a brief collation of studies on jobs that will be lost or created due to AI last year here. I've recently finished a part time course myself on convolutional neural nets, which while done initially out of interest in learning the subject matter, has already had a positive impact on how I work. What I think you'll see in ERP in the coming years will be existing decision support systems replaced with what amount to decision making systems, with far few actual planners required.

Yes, that's what AI is about, I'm not disputing that. What I was alluding to is the fact that those decisions will ultimately be made by whoever sits between the computer and the chair - input bad data, and inevitably you get back what you put in. However what I was specifically referring to is that it is humans who will decide what information is relevant, and when it is relevant to use that information. As I said - rather than the questions of how and why, what's more important is deciding how we use the data we collect, and when to use it, and that's where the power comes from. We have seen numerous examples of it with the Cambridge Analytica scandal, and people are sitting very uncomfortably in their seats with recent proposals from coming from the EU to amalgamate the knowledge they have into one "monster" database -

EU pushes to link tracking databases

Decision making systems do already exist in ERP, but ultimately decisions are still made by humans, fallible and all as we are, which is what I was alluding to with Spike Jonze's vision of the future - I don't envision it will happen any time soon that AI will decide for itself that humanity just isn't worth the trouble and decides to trot off into the virtual sunset leaving us in the lurch :D MIT by their own admission, from your link, don't know what are the likely outcomes of AI either -

In short, although these predictions are made by dozens of global experts in economics and technology, no one seems to be on the same page. There is really only one meaningful conclusion: we have no idea how many jobs will actually be lost to the march of technological progress.

If only all these global experts in economics and technology had been taught to think critically in school, they might then be on the same page :(

It's unlikely though :o

I do enjoy a bit of sci-fi and was amazed as a kid that Kirk had a little communicator he could talk into, and Picard had a super-computer he could ask questions of and actually get a response from. Alexa! Tea, Earl Grey, Hot!

I was always more intrigued by Rodenberry's vision of the future of humanity and the interaction with alien worlds. I will admit though that some people are fascinated that I can command the Google Mini to play the latest episode of Star Trek Discovery on Netflix, and my tv turns on and up it comes. Kinda spoils the mystery when I explain them how it's done, and many of them still can't wrap their heads around it - it's not like I'm programming a VCR here, that would require I RTFM :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

to be fair, the potential for quite a big legal bill if one were to lose would probably be enough to deterr an average person from taking a Constitutional challenge?

I know but the general gist of this thread is that Irish parents are chomping at the bit to get religion out of our schools.

Surely smacl could set up a gofundmepage for legal donations to mount a challenge. Most of the better legal eagles children are in private religious ethos schools such as Gonzaga but if you pay them enough they will take accept the challenge to prepare legal action regarding the constitutionality of our education system.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I know but the general gist of this thread is that Irish parents are chomping at the bit to get religion out of our schools.

Surely smacl could set up a gofundmepage for legal donations to mount a challenge. Most of the better legal eagles children are in private religious ethos schools such as Gonzaga but if you pay them enough they will take accept the challenge to prepare legal action regarding the constitutionality of our education system.

fair points.
    i do think divestment may not be as much of an issue as some would think at the moment. that could change but once there is a substantial majority in favour of it, they are in my view going to really have to work to show it that they want things to change.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I can command the Google Mini to play the latest episode of Star Trek Discovery on Netflix
    Going slightly off-topic here, but have you noticed that (white male) Captain Pike is on the face of it quite similar to the Kirk of old, making gut-based decisions in classic all-American macho style, but the difference is that he invariably turns out to be wrong and has to be corrected by one of the other characters. These sensitive and caring individuals are overflowing with empathy, which apparently gives them the edge.
    So we have the strong female characters (both black and asian) the gay character, and the black gay character. And if anyone thought veganism was the most empathic form of vegetarianism, think again. There is a guy who is literally "a prey species". Beat that for victimhood!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

That's more like the cordial, robust responses I'm used to in our conversations (I did think earlier you'd gotten out the wrong side of the bed this morning :D).

Could be, but I'll maintain the position that referring to critical thinking as ideological bull suggests you swallowed a wrong pill somewhere.
    I agree with you in so far as a philosophy need not involve itself with probability from an objective perspective and so on, but regarding the idea of critical thinking being taught in schools, proponents of the idea aren't generally viewing it as an objective and methodology, but rather as a means to eliminate what they perceive to be BS which is already being taught in education. Their objective carries an underlying moral imperative not to evaluate ideas in terms of likely or unlikely, but rather to dismiss outright any notions of other philosophies which they regard as either good or bad - secularism good, religion bad. Their belief in the power of critical thinking is inherently dogmatic, because they view critical thinking as the solution to the problem, as opposed to using it in it's traditionally regarded understanding as a means and methodology to evaluate abstract ideas objectively, not unlike as it were - the scientific method, which has become tarnished IMO by science popularisers such as the main proponents behind the idea of evolutionary psychology, which in reality IMO is just pseudoscience. I'm using evolutionary psychology as an example here but it could probably be best developed in it's own thread.

You're quite right in stating that critical thinking can be an effective BS filter, and very many people consider religious instruction falls into the category of BS when taught to someone who is not a member of that religious tradition.
    The point I'm making I suppose is that modern understandings of critical thinking, appear to me at least to be no more than just a popular buzz-word for some people as a front to promote their own underlying beliefs without any real understanding of the actual principles of critical thinking as a methodology. I would view it's recent promotion in Western academia as no more than just cherry-picking, a criticism often made of religious philosophies, which to be fair has merit, but then it isn't any different from cherry-picking ideas we like from philosophies such as Buddishm, Taoism, Secularism and so on. We're not evaluating likely or unlikely there - we're determining what is good and bad based entirely upon what our prejudices bias us either towards or against. Essentially we're doing what we're supposed to be rallying against - cherry-picking based upon our own individual morals, and dressing it up as a valid philosophy. Turns out you actually can make a silk purse out of a pigs ear with the right tools and materials.

That could well be true, but then people bandy around all sorts of buzz words they don't understand. This is not a problem with critical thinking, it is one of people not understanding critical thinking which could be remedied by teaching them critical thinking. If you're cherry picking to suit your prejudices that is the polar opposite of critical thinking. And no, you can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear, a silk purse requires silk, in much the same way as turning water into wine requires addition of grapes and yeast, so I reckon you've been sold a dud there.
    I don't agree that it's a false dichotomy, you're still having to teach children a way to think, and hope that they utilise the way you've taught them to think in how they evaluate information. This goes back to what I meant earlier when I said alluded to the point that critical thinking is a natural process anyway. Humans are already inquisitive and critical and children even more so than adults because they lack both the information and the faculties to properly evaluate new information - effectively they have very little basis upon which to form a conclusion one way or the other about new information they are presented with. One of the most common refrains from children is often "Whyyyyyy?", repeatedly, and it appears tirelessly, much to the chagrin of their adult guardians :D

Been through that with two very inquisitive kids. When they ask 'why?' the stock response that worked for me was 'what do you think?'. That's changed in recent years with my eldest studying physics and maths in college. These days I ask her 'how?' as often as she does of me, though old age and treachery still overcomes youth and skill ;)
    Left to their own devices however, they come up with all manner of fantastical and often quite elaborate explanations and conclusions for phenomena they observe, also often much to the chagrin of their adult guardians

Wonderful, isn't it? One of the things I love as a parent.
    , which is why we have people in society who want to teach children to think like they do, rather than leaving children to their own devices in their natural inquisitive and critical state, because the idea of those children becoming adults who continue to think for themselves is an affront to some people's philosophy. Therefore I can completely understand why a child's guardian or guardians would not wish for them to be exposed to philosophies which contradict that guardians philosophy. I am at least willing to admit that I do not wish my child to be exposed to philosophies which contradict my philosophy. I don't seek to dress up my prejudice in buzz-words like "critical thinking". I have no issue with other people who wish to teach their own children their philosophy. My position is no different to your objection to a philosophy you don't wish to be pushed on your children. I would view such attempts to do so as disrespectful of other people, in either direction.

I agree critical thinking can undermine religious belief. The same could be said of teaching evolution in science to a creationist or that the earth is an oblate spheroid to a flat earther in geography. All of which seem rather mild when compared say to teaching that an unrepentant atheist will suffer in hell for all eternity, which is what is taught in many Irish schools. Freedom of belief does not mean that the belief system is placed beyond reasonable criticism. Religion aside, we live in a world of anti-vaxxers, homeopaths, crystal rubbers, reiki practitioners and various other weird and wonderful notional beliefs. I have no problem in allowing each and every one of them celebrate their belief, but nor is this a reason to allow a school not to teach science.
    And just as the scientific method is misused to further people's beliefs about other people, so too is critical thinking misused to further people's beliefs about other people, because the method which is used to arrive at any conclusion is predicated upon assumed hypotheses which are based upon prior knowledge.

You seem to misunderstand both critical thinking and scientific method here. Both seek to revise our current best understanding of what we're investigating through analysis of observation. Religious and philosophical dogma is the opposite of this, in that they deal with articles of faith that they deem to be true and are beyond question.
    Undoubtedly the knowledge still exists, but my point was in relation to the sum of human knowledge, and I don't agree that the rate of discovery actually has changed over time, I would suggest that the rate of dissemination of what knowledge we have has increased over time, largely due to the means we have to communicate that knowledge.

Well, unless the rate of discovery has fallen below the rate at which existing knowledge has been either lost or refuted, the sum total of human knowledge is increasing. I would also argue that the rate of discovery has increased as new discoveries will be made in proportion to the overall population's size, their level of education and the time they can commit to the task. All three of these things are far greater now than at any time in the past.
    Well the Age of Enlightenment started off with some great ideas, and it looked for a time like humanity was headed towards a royal flush with the expedient dissemination of knowledge thanks in no small part to as you alluded earlier the invention of the printing press, but in the Age of Social Media, that knowledge appears to be of very little value to people who appear to be more concerned with keeping up with the Kardashians and celebrity culture.

You do you realise you just wrote that comment on a somewhat archaic form of social media?
    Yes, that's what AI is about, I'm not disputing that. What I was alluding to is the fact that those decisions will ultimately be made by whoever sits between the computer and the chair - input bad data, and inevitably you get back what you put in.

To an extent, but there will be far fewer chairs.
    However what I was specifically referring to is that it is humans who will decide what information is relevant, and when it is relevant to use that information. As I said - rather than the questions of how and why, what's more important is deciding how we use the data we collect, and when to use it, and that's where the power comes from.

Which nicely illustrates the value of critical thinking
    In short, although these predictions are made by dozens of global experts in economics and technology, no one seems to be on the same page. There is really only one meaningful conclusion: we have no idea how many jobs will actually be lost to the march of technological progress.

If only all these global experts in economics and technology had been taught to think critically in school, they might then be on the same page :(

It's unlikely though :o

They have applied critical thinking and the MIT have applied it to their results. What they're saying is that while we qualitatively understand that many current jobs will become obsolete as a result of AI, we have yet to reach consensus on what that will mean quantitatively. With critical thinking, as with science, it is perfectly reasonable and very common not reach the definitive results you were hoping for.
    I was always more intrigued by Rodenberry's vision of the future of humanity and the interaction with alien worlds. I will admit though that some people are fascinated that I can command the Google Mini to play the latest episode of Star Trek Discovery on Netflix, and my tv turns on and up it comes. Kinda spoils the mystery when I explain them how it's done, and many of them still can't wrap their heads around it - it's not like I'm programming a VCR here, that would require I RTFM :(

I liked space opera sci-fi as a kid and to some extent as an adult, but Star Trek and Star Wars leave me cold at this point in time. Got back into Doctor Who when the kids were a bit younger, but these days we're more a Rick and Morty and Love, Death and Robots kind of household. Oh, and my youngest is Tank Girl.

Could be, but I'll maintain the position that referring to critical thinking as ideological bull suggests you swallowed a wrong pill somewhere.

:D

I should clarify that when I sugested critical thinking was bull, it wasn't at all the methodology I was being critical of, but rather how the term itself - "critical thinking", has become something of a buzz-word to disguise it's proponents underlying prejudices against religion.

I don't object whatsoever to what I understand is both our understanding of critical thinking as a methodology, what I object to is critical thinking as it is regarded almost as a replacement philosophy for religion. In effect what you're saying below nails it (no pun intended :D) - that proponents of the buzz-word "critical thinking" think that it will undermine religion because they are of the belief that people who are religious do not use the methodology in respect of their religious beliefs.

I can understand that may be how it appears to those people, but that assumption is based upon their perception and prejudice, assuming that because people who are religious do not share their beliefs, religious people can't have thought critically about their beliefs.

My comment with regard to the article and the MIT students and global experts was intended to be tongue-in-cheek rather than actually suggesting that they hadn't thought critically about their beliefs before giving their opinions, I have no basis upon which to argue that they didn't, I'll take it on good faith that they did, which is why I'm not surprised that there was no consensus in their opinions with regard to the impact of AI on the future of the nature of employment. Without ever having read the article I would have suggested that of course the nature of employment will change in the future given the influence of AI on employment. In just the same way as both the agricultural and industrial revolutions changed the nature of employment, so too will the technological revolution we are currently experiencing change the nature of employment. I imagine that the labour market will look just as different in 100 years time as the effect the agricultural and industrial revolutions had on society - positions will become redundant, and new positions will be created, and the people whose positions were previously made redundant will either have to upskill, retrain or simply exit the labour market.

You're quite right in stating that critical thinking can be an effective BS filter, and very many people consider religious instruction falls into the category of BS when taught to someone who is not a member of that religious tradition.

Undoubtedly very many people consider religious instruction falls into the category of BS when they're being instructed in something that they simply cannot relate to on any level, one doesn't need to employ critical thinking methodology to evaluate something that is painfully obvious to them. It's very easy to simply not entertain the idea of religion, religious traditions and so on when one is not a member of that religious tradition. This is what I was referring to earlier when I said that this forum would not be as active as it is with Irish atheists who would have been taught religious instruction and are surrounded by religious tradition - I don't believe for a minute that they all employed the methodology of critical thinking to evaluate the truth claims of what they were learning. Many of them will simply have been unable to relate to it on any level, and categorised it as BS on that basis. And that's fine! It's not necessary to justify their position to anyone else, and if someone tries to impose their beliefs upon that person, I would hope that they have the capacity to inform the person that they do not welcome the imposition, and if the imposition were to continue, I would view it as entirely justifiable for the person to tell the person imposing their beliefs upon that person, to PFO! :pac:

That could well be true, but then people bandy around all sorts of buzz words they don't understand. This is not a problem with critical thinking, it is one of people not understanding critical thinking which could be remedied by teaching them critical thinking. If you're cherry picking to suit your prejudices that is the polar opposite of critical thinking. And no, you can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear, a silk purse requires silk, in much the same way as turning water into wine requires addition of grapes and yeast, so I reckon you've been sold a dud there.

I agree with your take on critical thinking and teaching people who imagine that they are thinking critically to actually use the principles and methodology of critical thinking, but again you would face the same issue of people being unable to relate to what they're learning, and on that basis regarding it as BS. Again, y'know, fair enough.

As for these lying bastards... :pac:

Report: "On the Making of Silk Purses from Sows' Ears," 1921

I agree critical thinking can undermine religious belief. The same could be said of teaching evolution in science to a creationist or that the earth is an oblate spheroid to a flat earther in geography. All of which seem rather mild when compared say to teaching that an unrepentant atheist will suffer in hell for all eternity, which is what is taught in many Irish schools. Freedom of belief does not mean that the belief system is placed beyond reasonable criticism. Religion aside, we live in a world of anti-vaxxers, homeopaths, crystal rubbers, reiki practitioners and various other weird and wonderful notional beliefs. I have no problem in allowing each and every one of them celebrate their belief, but nor is this a reason to allow a school not to teach science.

I think we're pretty much agreed on the idea of "to each their own", but for what it's worth, if I was aware that someone were attempting to teach my child that unrepentant atheists will go to hell, I'd be having words with that particular individual, rather than being focussed on assuming it's a particularly common belief that is taught to children in modern Irish education. That would appear to me at least to be the individual allowing their own prejudices to influence how they are educating the children in their care.

You seem to misunderstand both critical thinking and scientific method here. Both seek to revise our current best understanding of what we're investigating through analysis of observation. Religious and philosophical dogma is the opposite of this, in that they deal with articles of faith that they deem to be true and are beyond question.

In their benign form, absolutely critical thinking and the scientific method seek to revise our current understanding of what we're investigating through analysis and observation, and the same is true of theology and philosophy, but what I was referring to is the "buzz word" perspectives of critical thinking and the scientific method, or the misuse and misunderstanding of the scientific method and critical thinking to promote ideas like male and female brains, racism, ethnic genocide, etc. For many years, many of these ideas were beyond question. It would be untrue to suggest that Christianity now for example bears any resemblance to it's origins. Christian traditions and beliefs in the modern world even vary from country to country, never mind over the millennia since it's foundation. Even Roman Catholicism has it's factions in the Vatican where the concept of the devils advocate had it's origins as an official position within the Church, a position which was made redundant, but still Christopher Hitchens was asked to testify at the beatification hearings of Mother Teresa.

My point being that the Church is not only acutely aware of the fact that people question their faith and the articles of their faith, the Church actively encourages it, but it is also true to say that some people within the Church itself do not allow for people to question their faith, and do not wish for them to question their faith, and will do everything in their power to discourage people from questioning their faith or the articles of their faith. Those types of people exist in every system and organisation, much like the teacher we discussed previously.

You do you realise you just wrote that comment on a somewhat archaic form of social media?

I do, but I was referring to far larger social media platforms than this one. I also understand that Boards participates in a national archiving project, so I can only imagine the expression on the poor slack-jawed unfortunate who is tasked with evaluating the contribution of Boards to Irish society at some point in the future. I haven't decided whether their expression would be a Picard "wtf is this?" moment, or a Picard facepalm, or indeed both :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Well, if something is that important then move your family to where there are lots of ET schools. .......................

Where would that be, exactly?

As for these lying bastards... :pac:

All your link illustrates is that you can make an imitation silk purse from imitation pig's ear silk, much as we could with polyester. When you talk about "critical thinking" as a buzzword, you're also talking about an imitation. Stating "What if i told you critical thinking was a load of ideological bull" without making this important distinction is clearly disingenuous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,165 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

<sniiiiippppp>

I think the only appropriate response is this:

479255.png

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I see the archdiocese has carried out a survey and found that people want responsibility for faith formation moved from the schools back to the family and local parish. https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0515/1049577-sacraments-dublin-archdiocese/ No surprise there.

It will be interesting to see if the full results of the survey are published and whether they'll actually take any action on this. In my opinion, the department of education should be carry their own independent survey in parallel to this and publish the results.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2019/0522/1051064-sex-education-schools/

I wonder why a multi-d school would use a Catholic agency to deliver some RSE?Something seems off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I wonder why a multi-d school would use a Catholic agency to deliver some RSE?Something seems off.

Utterly bizarre, as far as can be seen by the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Not really, many people of all faiths and none avail of services run by religious charities and organisations.
    Edit: Upon second reading it appears that this has been rumbling on for many years and "In a report following an inspection carried out earlier in the year inspectors said the problem was affecting teaching and was causing low staff morale."
    Maybe something was said to the kids during the classes, we'll probably never know.
    Or maybe nothing out of keeping with the school ethos was taught, and the parents/teachers just had a conscientious objection to their presence, we'll probably never know.

Out of interest, what are the other organisations which deliver the RSE module?

The CoI my kids go to does too.

Most teachers don't want to touch this with a bargepole and I'm not sure what other providers if any are out there.

I wouldn't trust Accord myself, and we considered withdrawing our child, but we'll find out soon enough whether they are putting a 'spin' on it in non-catholic schools, and we will probably prime our kid with a few awkward questions to ask ;)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

proponents of the buzz-word "critical thinking" think that it will undermine religion because they are of the belief that people who are religious do not use the methodology in respect of their religious beliefs.

And that is a belief that is often quite warranted. But to reach across the aisle a little I think a common bad error to make is to assume that ALL people with religious beliefs got there the same way.

I think there are a plethora of reasons, any one or combination of which, can be the explanation for the religious beliefs held by any single given individual.

But the perception of religious people you describe is far from unwarranted given the number of times we in discussion with them hear blatant fallacies coming as explanations from them. Sometimes the ONLY things coming from them. Everything from fallacies like Argumentum Ad Populum...... to appeals to things like Pascals Wager...... to outright misunderstanding the locus of the burden of proof. You only have to look over my previous conversations with now departed users like Phililogos and nagarric to see many examples of the two.

So it is quite warranted to think a module more specifically and more comprehensively focused on Critical Thinking, including a comprehensive work through of the fallacies and how to avoid them, is going to act as a powerful Vaccine against the memetic viruses of religion.

But identifying one vector of disease does not mean you have identified them all. I would not use that to assume to know why any given individual thinks there is a god or subscribes to a particular religion. Taking for example yourself. I do not know how many of your posts I have read in 7+ years but I am unable to recall you ever engaging on the subject even when directly challenged on it.... what god you think there might be and what, if any, arguments, evidence, data, or reasoning you might have access to that it actually exists.

So I would not assume critical thinking classes would have prevented you from believing in your god. The only assumption I do make is you likely do not have any arguments, evidence, data or reasoning for it. An assumption not based on you, but based on the fact no one else anywhere else appears to have any. So I simply doubt you have either. By all means prove me wrong. A direct yes no question to start us off. Are you aware of ANY arguments, evidence, data or reasoning that lends any actual credence to the concept that our universe and/or life within it was created by, or is in any way being maintained by, a non-human intelligent intentional agent????
    Undoubtedly very many people consider religious instruction falls into the category of BS when they're being instructed in something that they simply cannot relate to on any level, one doesn't need to employ critical thinking methodology to evaluate something that is painfully obvious to them. It's very easy to simply not entertain the idea of religion, religious traditions and so on when one is not a member of that religious tradition.

And it is also possible to identify that religious instruction as BS even when you can relate to it on MANY levels. Many of us do entertain those ideas because many of us think there is a baby in the now fetid bath water. And a baby worth saving.

I can relate to those religions on many levels because many, if not most or even all religions, appeal to very real and natural and even beneficial attributes and faculties in the human condition upon which the BS is taking a free ride. I think there is a deep and spiritual aspect to humanity. I think there is a deep and powerful need for narrative in humanity. I think there is a deep and compelling need for direction and guidance in areas like morality.

So I relate to religion on all those levels. I just see no reason for the BS that comes along for the ride, and no reason for us to be teaching any of that BS in schools as being true or even likely to be true. None of the ACTUAL beneficial elements or aspects of religion, least of those being anything beneficial to the education of school children, requires any of the unsubstantiated or superstitious nonsense it is packaged up in in order to teach, parse, benefit from, or assimilate usefully into an education as a whole.

Quite the opposite in fact as GIVEN The unsubstantiated and BS nature of the packaging..... we risk the actual beneficial parts suffering, in terms of credibility by proxy, in the neck top computers of those in which we are trying to install those Apps.
    I was referring to is the "buzz word" perspectives of critical thinking and the scientific method, or the misuse and misunderstanding of the scientific method and critical thinking to promote ideas like male and female brains, racism, ethnic genocide, etc. For many years, many of these ideas were beyond question. It would be untrue to suggest that Christianity now for example bears any resemblance to it's origins.

Of course both science and religion has changed over the decades and centuries. But I would be hesitant at anything that tries to infer any level of equivalence there. Science more and more as time has gone on has changed because that is what it is built to do. You WIN points in science for proving other scientists wrong. Hell you even win points proving YOURSELF wrong. The very methodology of science is based on the assumption that everything we think we know is wrong, and we are constantly trying to uncover evidence to prove that. In both senses of the word prove.

Whereas progress and change in religion often comes DESPITE the functions of religion, not because of them like in science. There are many examples of this. Christianity did go through it's reformations eventually of course, and Islam hopefully will do too some day, but this is not a credit to religion but the people who did this DESPITE religion. Much like the text of the Bible was used to support slavery once and then PEOPLE fought against slavery and now the self same text is quoted against slavery.

Further the claims that the truths of a religion or a god are unchanged or unchangeable are often inherent in religions. God in Christianity as the Prime Mover is for example often claimed to be eternally unchanged or unchangeable. While in Islam they claim to be the final revelation and there shall be no further revelations. These are the exact opposite of the practices and methodologies of science and critical thinking. What progress we make under the purview of such thinking is, unlike science, made DESPITE religion not because of it.
    My point being that the Church is not only acutely aware of the fact that people question their faith and the articles of their faith, the Church actively encourages it

That too was very hard won. For a long time they kept all the religious texts in Latin, which the common people did not even speak, in efforts to actively prevent that kind of thing. The Church, if and where they do encourage questioning, are doing it because they HAVE TO these days. Not because they are over joyed or welcoming of it.

But I question how actively they do encourage it. My experience directly and indirectly of the Catholic Education system and people who have come out of it suggests quite the opposite. Not least because they seem to contrive during their so called faith formation to be as vague as possible about the actual tenets of the faith and what Catholics are actually meant to believe.

The example, although there are many, I usually give in relation to this is that of the Haunted Crackers which Catholics I speak to are anywhere from unsure, to entirely ignorant, of the claims behind. And when I go into a mass and listen to a priest or look around the information pamphlets offered in the foyer and so on.... I see NO move from the church anywhere, especially in Ireland, Germany, and Poland where I have attended the most churches, to offer any education, clarification, or information.

So how they are meant to be "actively encouraging" questioning of the faith when they appear to have little to no interest in even teaching people what the faith is to be questioned.......... is unclear to me. They only catholic teaching catholic schools and churches appear keen to impart is that you ARE a catholic. After that, nothing much really.

Fostering, or even tolerating, ignorance of a doctrine or claim is the exact opposite of encouraging questioning of that doctrine or claim. If I was a priest of good faith, or even Faith, and I was holding up a cracker in front of my flock and I thought even 5% let alone 95% did not actually know what it was meant to be..... I would be instantly working on that.

I suspect I know why they do not work on it. I suspect if you were to be honest, you do too. It is likely because the more specific and clear they get.... the less bums on seats they would have.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Trouble out in Castleknock Educate Together where somebody, or some group of people within the school, has invited the church-controlled marriage agency, Accord, into the school to teach the religion and sex-education (RSE) course to fifth and sixth class students:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/educate-together-taking-direct-action-in-sex-education-primary-school-row-as-parents-stage-protest-38157853.html

With video goodness:

https://twitter.com/SusanWiggleywoo/status/1133431447690326016

It's about bloody time ET did something. I read on Twitter from one of the parents campaigning that parents have been complaining about this to ET for several years now and ET just referred them back to principal/BOM.

Given that ~half of pupils in ETs do RC sacraments, it wouldn't surprise me at all if parishes were trying to get fifth columnists onto BOMs to hobble the ET ethos from the inside. Literally nothing would surprise me when it comes to how the RCC operate in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

who is this principal Aedín Ní Thúathail /aedin O'Toole https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2019/0528/1052281-educate-together-protest/

• Advertisement

who is this principal Aedín Ní Thúathail /aedin O'Toole https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2019/0528/1052281-educate-together-protest/

No idea, but the issue seems to be more with the BoM than the principal. Not sure how they were formed in Castleknock but in the ET my daughter attends, they came from volunteer parents when the school was originally opened. I've no idea whether this is done or not, but reckon they should be re-elected from the parents of the current student body on reasonably regular basis to reflect current preferences with one or two reserved places for staff. We've seen a few, erm, 'interesting' moves from the BoM in our school in the past. Like politics, I often wonder whether those keen to get involved are there to look after their own best interests of those of the people they're supposed to represent.

No idea, but the issue seems to be more with the BoM than the principal. Not sure how they were formed in Castleknock but in the ET my daughter attends, they came from volunteer parents when the school was originally opened. I've no idea whether this is done or not, but reckon they should be re-elected from the parents of the current student body on reasonably regular basis to reflect current preferences with one or two reserved places for staff. We've seen a few, erm, 'interesting' moves from the BoM in our school in the past. Like politics, I often wonder whether those keen to get involved are there to look after their own best interests of those of the people they're supposed to represent.

surely its the prinicpal who chose accord

surely its the prinicpal who chose accord

Re-reading your linked IT article, you're right. Mis-read on my part.
    In a letter to school principal Aedín Ní Thúathail, the chair of the school’s Parent Teacher Association said: "It is difficult to see how [an organisation] funded by the Catholic church and with a clear religious ethos could ever have been deemed ‘fit for purpose’ to deliver the RSE programme in an Educate Together school".

Could be a tough one to sort out so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It's about bloody time ET did something. I read on Twitter from one of the parents campaigning that parents have been complaining about this to ET for several years now and ET just referred them back to principal/BOM.

Given that ~half of pupils in ETs do RC sacraments, it wouldn't surprise me at all if parishes were trying to get fifth columnists onto BOMs to hobble the ET ethos from the inside. Literally nothing would surprise me when it comes to how the RCC operate in this country.

My children are in an ET and we're reasonably happy with the school, however there are several issues with ET as a patron body I've noticed in our time dealing with the school. There's no interest in changing the policy of allowing indoctrination after school hours on the school premises and I'm not alone in wanting this practice to cease. Sacramental prep is not an after school activity like sport, music or art. It's not child centred and the communion prep in particular seeps into the school day in a way other after school activities do not. In the 25+ years our school has been open only catholic indoctrination has happened in the school after hours. Time for it to go and let those who want it use the churches of which there are many in Ireland to prepare their children. Any time this has been raised with the PTA/ET as a patron concerns are waved away and the burble about the schools needing the rental income/not vetoing afterschool activities etc comes out.
    I wish ET as a patron body would be clear about what equality based actually means. And that they'd intervene in the schools of which it is a patron when concerns about religious crap arises. I also think this is linked to the Learn Together programme which is far too nicey nice about religion and presents it in a positive way. There's no need for the religious strand in the programme.

lazygal wrote: »
    My children are in an ET and we're reasonably happy with the school, however there are several issues with ET as a patron body I've noticed in our time dealing with the school. There's no interest in changing the policy of allowing indoctrination after school hours on the school premises and I'm not alone in wanting this practice to cease. Sacramental prep is not an after school activity like sport, music or art. It's not child centred and the communion prep in particular seeps into the school day in a way other after school activities do not. In the 25+ years our school has been open only catholic indoctrination has happened in the school after hours. Time for it to go and let those who want it use the churches of which there are many in Ireland to prepare their children. Any time this has been raised with the PTA/ET as a patron concerns are waved away and the burble about the schools needing the rental income/not vetoing afterschool activities etc comes out.
    I wish ET as a patron body would be clear about what equality based actually means. And that they'd intervene in the schools of which it is a patron when concerns about religious crap arises. I also think this is linked to the Learn Together programme which is far too nicey nice about religion and presents it in a positive way. There's no need for the religious strand in the programme.
    in what way does it bleed into the school day?

Any time this has been raised with the PTA/ET as a patron concerns are waved away and the burble about the schools needing the rental income/not vetoing afterschool activities etc comes out.

Why would the school refuse to take money from rental income for this purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Any time this has been raised with the PTA/ET as a patron concerns are waved away and the burble about the schools needing the rental income/not vetoing afterschool activities etc comes out.

Why would the school refuse to take money from rental income for this purpose?
    Because its not a child centred after school activity open to all. Hardly equality based.

The BOM are generally formed the same way as they are in all recognised schools, and the Castleknock ET BOM appears to follow the guidelines outlined in the Governance Manual for Primary Schools 2015 - 2019 according to s.14 of the Education Act 1998 -

Castleknock Educate Together National School Board of Management 2015 - 2019

The Whole School Evaluation Report was done in January 2018, and the fundamental issue appears to be a breakdown in trust among the schools many stakeholders, as was noted in the Irish Independent article -

In the past year, the 450-pupil school also came in for some criticism from Department of Education inspectors who identified a “serious breakdown of trust” in key relationships in the school.

Inspectors found breakdowns of trust between the board and the parent-teacher association, the board and the in-school leadership team as well as within the in-school leadership team.

It does appear as though the individuals involved are looking after their own best interests while purporting to represent the interests of the parties they claim to represent, which would understandably lead to cynicism and a breakdown in trust which has led to the current breakdown in effective communications. I don’t imagine this will be resolved any time soon.

Because its not a child centred after school activity open to all. Hardly equality based.

A school, in the ET sense, is the student body, teachers and parents more so than the building. I used to hire hall space in our local ET as a training space for a full contact Chinese martial arts club, which was neither child centred nor equality based. Would you have a similar problem to that?

• Advertisement

The BOM are generally formed the same way as they are in all recognised schools, and the Castleknock ET BOM appears to follow the guidelines outlined in the Governance Manual for Primary Schools 2015 - 2019 according to s.14 of the Education Act 1998 -

Castleknock Educate Together National School Board of Management 2015 - 2019

The Whole School Evaluation Report was done in January 2018, and the fundamental issue appears to be a breakdown in trust among the schools many stakeholders, as was noted in the Irish Independent article -

In the past year, the 450-pupil school also came in for some criticism from Department of Education inspectors who identified a “serious breakdown of trust” in key relationships in the school.

Inspectors found breakdowns of trust between the board and the parent-teacher association, the board and the in-school leadership team as well as within the in-school leadership team.

It does appear as though the individuals involved are looking after their own best interests while purporting to represent the interests of the parties they claim to represent, which would understandably lead to cynicism and a breakdown in trust which has led to the current breakdown in effective communications. I don’t imagine this will be resolved any time soon.
    what do you mean by individuals plural, the principal is the one who makes decisions?

Advertisement