Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are some parts of Ireland just a bit odd?

Options
  • 27-05-2019 1:30am

Exhibit A: Donegal. The county that brought us Peter Casey, Mickey Joe Harte, and loves to say No in referendums. The Trolling County.

In fact, you could probably apply this to all of the North-West and Mayo, but Donegal is its epicentre.

In my own home county, Tipperary, a small village in the south part of the county called Ballingarry is also known for being odd. A hilly terrain (hills and mountains being the natural habitat of the eccentric), one half of the village seems to be alcoholic, the other half plain mad. My Granny used to tell us stories of child cannibalism there long ago. I once passed through and enquired about where to buy petrol. A dwarfish old lady with a mostly-bald head peered in my car window and said "The town is closed". Odd place.

This is probably only a rural phenomenon, but what parts of the country are regarded as being a bit strange? And why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Parts of east Galway have a Deliverance vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Parts of every country in the world are a bit odd. What a stupid thread.

How's life in Ballingarry anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Exhibit A: Donegal. The county that brought us Peter Casey, Mickey Joe Harte, and loves to say No in referendums. The Trolling County.

In fact, you could probably apply this to all of the North-West and Mayo, but Donegal is its epicentre.

I always thought Donegal said no to referendums mainly because Sinn Fein had a big presences there and they told them to vote NO.
    They may also be a tad more conservative because they are a lot of rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I don't know where that is, so in all fairness I can't answer. Doesn't change the stupidity level of the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

Indeed. A lot of stupid threads. People with far too much time talking rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tombom1

Your Face wrote: »

Where ? Unless your referencing travellers what you said is just not true there's been significant enough migration through/in East Galway historically. Id be looking at remote parts of cork/Kerry.. do some research there

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

I can never understand why the Beara peninsula seems arbitrarily divided between Cork and Kerry, it would geographically make more sense if it was all Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Kilkenny.

I love the country. I am not one of those Dubliners. I love west meath (particularly mullingar) and meath. I love cork. I like Kildare I LOVE wicklow.

But MAN Kilkenny....so weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

mattser wrote: »
    Indeed. A lot of stupid threads. People with far too much time talking rubbish.

You're reading and commenting on the thread, so you're one of us! :D

• Advertisement

Ireland is odd in general.

Some parts up the Dublin mountains are very very weird ...Hell fire /sally gap area.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

I once passed through and enquired about where to buy petrol. A dwarfish old lady with a mostly-bald head peered in my car window and said "The town is closed".

It's a local town for local people - there's nothing for you here!

I wonder what these people think of Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Zirconia wrote: »
    It's a local town for local people - there's nothing for you here!

Da2qmlH8B3Vj.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

In my own home county, Tipperary, a small village in the south part of the county called Ballingarry is also known for being odd. A hilly terrain (hills and mountains being the natural habitat of the eccentric), one half of the village seems to be alcoholic, the other half plain mad. My Granny used to tell us stories of child cannibalism there long ago. I once passed through and enquired about where to buy petrol. A dwarfish old lady with a mostly-bald head peered in my car window and said "The town is closed". Odd place.

This is probably only a rural phenomenon, but what parts of the country are regarded as being a bit strange? And why?

I wouldn't take much notice of that sort of thing really. I have been to places in other countries and Norn Iron where I have felt a sudden need to get the feck out of there. But in Ireland it is grand. Donegal and places have a bit of madness about them and I like it. Must mean I'm odd myself

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

How's life in Ballingarry anyway?

Which Ballingarry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Leitrim and Longford are full of weirdo's in my experience, followed closely by cavan people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Offaly people tend to be a bit cracked and I say that as the son of an Offaly woman. There's a bit of wild-eyed madness about the people of North Roscommon too.

Donegal is definitely the county that tends to go against the grain on most things. I reckon they do it on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I always thought Donegal said no to referendums mainly because Sinn Fein had a big presences there and they told them to vote NO.

There is a tradition of No in Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,749 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Donegal is definitely the county that tends to go against the grain on most things. I reckon they do it on purpose.

They vote 'agin' everything because they feel sidelined and ignored by Dublin-centric government.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

All parts of the globe are odd, we re just an odd bunch of fcukers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,749 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Rathkeale is a strange spot.
    Basically a resort for travellers who refuse to engage with all the normal life of any other village, be it tidy towns, community groups or GAA.
    Big houses with high gates, some occupied for only part of the year, various closed down businesses, not unduly untidy or derelict but a definite air of weirdness about it.
    Tumbleweed central outside of holiday time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Why be normal?
    Normal is boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

?

Anywhere off the motor ways really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Dublin 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Your Face wrote: »

Clannish beyond belief

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This country is odd, although I'd suggest tis the same in a lot of Wester states.

Tbh I don't mind people voting one way or another. That's what its there for. But for more than half the electorate not engage with the process of elections is odd as fxuk if you ask me. Something that has been fought so hard for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

The referendum in which Donegal notoriously voted “no” was Repeal the 8th, which Sinn Fein supported (there are 5 seats in the Dail representing Donegal, and only 1 is SF; FF are the dominant party). The electorate there is more conservative, probably because the younger generation have to leave to find work, so it votes the way the rest of Ireland would if everyone under 55 stayed at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Kilkenny.

I love the country. I am not one of those Dubliners. I love west meath (particularly mullingar) and meath. I love cork. I like Kildare I LOVE wicklow.

But MAN Kilkenny....so weird.

We don't like your vibes either :P

Advertisement