Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are some parts of Ireland just a bit odd?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Bunclody is like being stuck in a sphere surrounded by high flood risk rivers, you don't really go there unless you have to go to Mr. Price.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

craggy island

inhabited by odd ball priests, tea making obsessed women, a chinatown with just one chinese family, psychopath culchie wanted for murder, married couple who are hell bent on killing each other yet put on a loving charade, and a annual carnival called funland in which the main attractions are....freak pointing, the ladder, the tunnel of goats and a garden bench hanging from a crane

*can't find it on the map anywhere but it does exist

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Always found tipperary folk incredibly surly

Anywhere in Ireland like the location for the Movie "Zonad".

I'm grand though. I live in 'The Pale' :D

Just going through some recent referendum results here

Counties with the greatest proportion of "No" votes in the Divorce Referendum:
    Monaghan/ Leitrim/ Donegal/ Longford/ Cavan

Counties with the greatest proportion of "No" votes in the Blasphemy Referendum:
    Donegal/ Roscommon-Galway/ Sligo-Leitrim/ Cavan-Monaghan

Counties with the greatest proportion of "No" votes in the Abortion Referendum
    Donegal/ Cavan-Monaghan/ Mayo/ Roscommon-Galway

Counties with the greatest proportion of "No" votes in the Reduction of Age of Eligibility to the Presidency Referendum:
    Kerry South/ Galway East/ Roscommon - South Leitrim/ Tipperary South/ Limerick

Counties with the greatest proportion of "No" votes in the Same-Sex Marriage Referendum:
    Roscommon - South Leitrim/ Donegal South-West/ Cavan-Monaghan/ Mayo/ Donegal North-East

Clear patterns emerging there: many of the places noted as being fairly eccentric are also the most contrarian in terms of the national mood.

What's going on? Anyone have any clear reasons for this, is it an issue of age profile?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Just going through some recent referendum results here

Counties with the greatest proportion of "No" votes in the Divorce Referendum:
    Monaghan/ Leitrim/ Donegal/ Longford/ Cavan

Counties with the greatest proportion of "No" votes in the Blasphemy Referendum:
    Donegal/ Roscommon-Galway/ Sligo-Leitrim/ Cavan-Monaghan

Counties with the greatest proportion of "No" votes in the Abortion Referendum
    Donegal/ Cavan-Monaghan/ Mayo/ Roscommon-Galway

Counties with the greatest proportion of "No" votes in the Reduction of Age of Eligibility to the Presidency Referendum:
    Kerry South/ Galway East/ Roscommon - South Leitrim/ Tipperary South/ Limerick

Counties with the greatest proportion of "No" votes in the Same-Sex Marriage Referendum:
    Roscommon - South Leitrim/ Donegal South-West/ Cavan-Monaghan/ Mayo/ Donegal North-East

Clear patterns emerging there: many of the places noted as being fairly eccentric are also the most contrarian in terms of the national mood.

What's going on? Anyone have any clear reasons for this, is it an issue of age profile?

Two things I would suggest (in some of the votes)
    1. Age profile - Immigration has decimated a lot of these places of people between the ages of 18 and 40. And indeed there are a lot more people in the retiree age groups in some of those areas.
    2. Lack of directly effected people (in some cases and also tied to 1) Because of the "age" issue, you'll find that being Gay or in a relationship crisis or indeed a crisis pregnancy is "rarer" than it would be in the bigger population centres.

Again, I'd be more concerned about the vast tracts of the population that do not engage with the process at all, and trying to do something to improve on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Feck off, we'll do what we want :mad:

Recently I had a teeny bit of trouble parallel parking on the main street of a lovely town in Northern Ireland. After I was done I got out and in a friendly way waved at the exceedingly old lady in the car behind may, and made a self deprecating remark about my parking skills. With that she leapt from her car, all 4and a half skinny foot of her, and began viciously beating my car with her umbrella, screaming " Get out yiz Taigs, Get out, Yet not welcome here!!!"

No word of a lie. Haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

What is up with the likes of Dunlaoghaire-Rathy dathy dathy down always among the highest percentage voting yes to whatever the government wants while jumping up and down like rabbits trying to keep the government happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Abbeyleix ... bat**** crazy locals

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Connies are ****ing weird. Big auld mountainy heads on them, and a deep love for two tone denim jackets. Very shallow gene pool out there, and dark rumours of families being a good bit closer than society would deem appropriate.

• Advertisement

Connies are ****ing weird. Big auld mountainy heads on them, and a deep love for two tone denim jackets. Very shallow gene pool out there, and dark rumours of families being a good bit closer than society would deem appropriate.

Crass generalisation - check.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Crass generalisation - check.

Which part, Bartholomew?

What is up with the likes of Dunlaoghaire-Rathy dathy dathy down always among the highest percentage voting yes to whatever the government wants while jumping up and down like rabbits trying to keep the government happy?
    Hmm, I can think of recent referenda where affluent parts of Dublin were in the top-5 districts to oppose Government proposals.

Seanad abolition, Oireachtas Inquiries, judges remuneration -- affluent areas of the city joined Donegal in being foremost against those proposals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Exhibit A: Donegal. The county that brought us Peter Casey, Mickey Joe Harte, and loves to say No in referendums. The Trolling County.

In fact, you could probably apply this to all of the North-West and Mayo, but Donegal is its epicentre.

Speaking of Trolling, lets tidy up a couple of things...

Peter Casey is from Derry.
    Donegal voted in favour of Friday's Divorce referendum
    Donegal (as a county) voted in favour of the Abortion referendum
    Donegal voted in favour of the Marriage Equality referendum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Kilkenny.

I love the country. I am not one of those Dubliners. I love west meath (particularly mullingar) and meath. I love cork. I like Kildare I LOVE wicklow.

But MAN Kilkenny....so weird.

How? Kilkenny is probably one of the nicest, cleanest and wealthiest county in the country. Lovely spot.

If you want weird, then try Wexford, HUN.

Fair cop on Peter Casey's birthplace, but as regards the referendums, I'm talking about Donegal (and the north west generally) simply having the greatest proportion of No votes as a general trend. Sometimes Donegal does say Yes.

Also, I wouldn't be taking this thread entirely seriously. I'm not trolling, but I'm not entirely earnest either. I even mentioned an area of my own home county for that reason.

Anyway like most people, I find this kind of odd behaviour (of which elections are just one part) interesting. Not a criticism of anyone; it's almost always great to see people voting.

God forbid we should all think the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

reminds me of a wining streak show - a Kerry guy (mid/late 40s) never outside Ireland, first time ever in Dublin, didn't travel much outside Kerry (apparently). Anyway up in the big smoke for winning streak, game kicks off, wins a holiday to Spain, his 2 youngish kids jump up in delight. Not a smile to be had on himself, probably the worst nightmare scenario:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

From stuff I've heard in the news Donegal used say No a lot more in the past.
    Donegal voted No in the abortion referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Late 60s early 70s vibe in Cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

Portarlington co Laois

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Always thought Mayo to be a bit odd and almost Stepford-like. I lived there for a while and nearly every conversation I had with someone was like they were trying to work out what they were supposed to say rather than what they genuinely thought. If they were even able to think.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

From stuff I've heard in the news Donegal used say No a lot more in the past.
    Donegal voted No in the abortion referendum.

The constituency of Donegal did, however the county of Donegal did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Kinvara reminds me of Summerisle from The Wicker Man

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

branie2 wrote: »
    Late 60s early 70s vibe in Cork city.

Was there very recently and your spot on, bad fashion and moustaches.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

branie2 wrote: »
    Kinvara reminds me of Summerisle from The Wicker Man

That is just some temporary light crustification. They might ease back on their festivals a bit alright. Either Cuckoo or Cruinniú ought to go.

The part of the island that most gives me 'there's something going on and I'm not part of it' vibe is south Dublin. Eerie place at times, that dead look in their eyes walking past you as though you are not there at all.

Zorya wrote: »
    Feck off, we'll do what we want :mad:

Recently I had a teeny bit of trouble parallel parking on the main street of a lovely town in Northern Ireland. After I was done I got out and in a friendly way waved at the exceedingly old lady in the car behind may, and made a self deprecating remark about my parking skills. With that she leapt from her car, all 4and a half skinny foot of her, and began viciously beating my car with her umbrella, screaming " Get out yiz Taigs, Get out, Yet not welcome here!!!"

No word of a lie. Haha :D

Had a taig hater ram me with her quad bike in new Zealand many years ago, she was Scottish so sort of the same thing

Always thought Mayo to be a bit odd and almost Stepford-like. I lived there for a while and nearly every conversation I had with someone was like they were trying to work out what they were supposed to say rather than what they genuinely thought. If they were even able to think.

Always found mayo people great and the best of the connacht folk

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

In other news, its raining today.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Leitrim and Longford are full of weirdo's in my experience, followed closely by cavan people

Leitrim isn't full of anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Always found mayo people great and the best of the connacht folk

Oh, I'm not saying they weren't nice - very friendly on the most part - but it was just all a little bit samelike. Royston Vasey without the menace.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement