Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are some parts of Ireland just a bit odd?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bailiborough, Co. Cavan.

Stayed there one night. First time in a long long time I had a hotel room key that was actually a key and not a card. The hotel itself, the decor and even the background music was like it was frozen in time since the early 1990s. Live music offered at the weekends was the inevitable country 'n' Irish. All the hotel staff appeared to be Irish.

Elsewhere, many signs of businesses and shops that had fallen by the wayside.

Depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Naas.

Just a large gathering of people who work in and around Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Stay away from Laois. I tend to think that the Provos were kept there as a warning in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I don't know why a Tipperary man is worrying about Donegal. This coming from the county that had two car registrations.

Didn’t they get rid of that a couple of years ago? Think it’s just “T” now.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

Didn’t they get rid of that a couple of years ago? Think it’s just “T†now.

I think that is the case which is why I said 'had'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I think that is the case which is why I said 'had'.

Ah, my apologies.

But, aside from having two registrations for years, that lot also continually vote in the likes of Michael Lowry and Mattie McGrath.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Stay away from Laois. I tend to think that the Provos were kept there as a warning in itself.

don't you mean Louth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

fryup wrote: »
    don't you mean Louth?

Portlaois was where the top security jail was located.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Not odd, but I always think Shannon has a holy feel to it, mainly because the airport is a destination for Lourdes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Leitrim isn't full of anything.

Trees!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I find Dublin to be a very strange place. It’s the kind of place where people crowd around the television gawping at X Factor while stuffing their faces with “chipper” food, grease dripping down their Man Utd jerseys, crying at the “veddy sad” human interest stories.

“Proud to be Irish” but overwhelmingly British culturally. I prefer the modest country man over the “Jackeen.”

I used to think you were a bellend ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

still is, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I used to think you were a bellend ...

Pardon me?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Pardon me?

For what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I find Dublin to be a very strange place. It’s the kind of place where people crowd around the television gawping at X Factor while stuffing their faces with “chipper” food, grease dripping down their Man Utd jerseys, crying at the “veddy sad” human interest stories.

“Proud to be Irish” but overwhelmingly British culturally. I prefer the modest country man over the “Jackeen.”

Dublin is a place I have very little interaction with these days; I fly into the airport, rent a car, and get the hell out of there. I did attend university there though, and would agree with your assessment. The 'True Blue' native is one of the most course, uneducated, and witless creatures on the planet. They should be avoided at all cost. Elderly men in shell suits standing outside bookie shops 'pulling on' their roll-up cigarettes. Mean, tight faces. Thick accents, menacing stares, hocking up gobs of phlegm at bus stops, that empty bellowing laugh, plastic raincoats, Guiney's shopping bags, a pride in their ignorance and stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Dublin is a place I have very little interaction with these days; I fly into the airport, rent a car, and get the hell out of there. I did attend university there though, and would agree with your assessment. The 'True Blue' native is one of the most course, uneducated, and witless creatures on the planet. They should be avoided at all cost. Elderly men in shell suits standing outside bookie shops 'pulling on' their roll-up cigarettes. Mean, tight faces. Thick accents, menacing stares, hocking up gobs of phlegm at bus stops, that empty bellowing laugh, plastic raincoats, Guiney's shopping bags, a pride in their ignorance and stupidity.

You would have to be careful. I have previously shared my views on Dublin and to this day some posters follow me from thread to thread like a beggar hoping to throw some “pot shots” in my direction.

Unfortunately “Dubs” can’t stand to hear that not everybody share their complete fascination with local accents and postcodes in their county, or enjoy wearing sports jerseys past the age of fifteen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

You would have to be careful. I have previously shared my views on Dublin and to this day some posters follow me from thread to thread like a beggar hoping to throw some “pot shots” in my direction.

Gemma has some tin foil hats left over from her election campaign.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What kind of course

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Trees!

Bogs. lakes and rock.

And people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Literally only oul wans and culchies watch talent shows on the Telly. Or worse, winning streak or the late late, they're obsessed with the late late.

West Galway and Mayo have a 1950s vibe

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Tory Island would be one, lots of strange characters in that place.

Wasnt there a cult called the Screamers up in Donegal somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Muahahaha wrote: »

Na, that was just the name of the parish swingers group.

You know you live up the road from Ballingarry, right?
    Wha? My home place is closer to Athlone than Ballingarry. Tipperary is a big, beautiful county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Wha? My home place is closer to Athlone than Ballingarry. Tipperary is a big, beautiful county.

These are all relative terms. Anyway as a Dub I dint have a horse in the race but north Tipp sucks ass while south Tipp rocks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Tory Island would be one, lots of strange characters in that place.

There’s definitely something a bit Wicker Man about Tory Island...

These are all relative terms. Anyway as a Dub I dint have a horse in the race but north Tipp sucks ass while south Tipp rocks.
    I happen to agree. South Tipp, Ballingarry included, is the more interesting place!

And we do have an atrocious electoral record. I'm not here to kick other counties up the arse because, well, just look at Tipp.

This is a tiny island and that kind of parochialism/Craggy Island-ism is just weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Yermande

These types of threads are hilarious. Irish people just love defending their own little patch of green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Portlaois really means portaloos with a great big arrow pointing towards Electric Picnic. :D:pac:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement