Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Werewolf Post Game Feedback Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Pter wrote:
    Could easily do 2x dead rooms i think. A spoiler room and a clean room. Have to request access to the spoiler room....something like that?

Think the lads did that for Bad Moon Rising iirc. Easily done alright.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

If I die early I want spoilers. If I die late I don’t want to read all the smugness that went before that comes with spoilers. So ... either, or, both, whatever.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Just FWIW I hate spoiler free dead rooms. It makes no sense to me. I'm dead. I want to be all knowing. That softens the blow of being dead. I want to be smug and poke fun at the stupid villagers who can't see how obvious the obvious wolf is.

I'm clearly in the minority with that view though so carry on.
    I’m with you Molly!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ok, I've finally got a good night's sleep so putting words onto the screen might be more coherent now.

Firstly, I thought the game was really well designed. From reading the planning room Stu definitely put in some effort here, and QB and sKeith as the experienced back up moulded it into an excellent one.

I liked the roles, parity seer is something I've been considering using at some point myself - I think the right call was made on making that every second night too, as otherwise it would have been a bit OP.

I loved the shared goodie backroom element with only 30 words (and an extra 30 for the task), definitely a nice touch. Steve and Phil played that well and I can see I was lucky to escape without a bullet to the head on day 2 :pac:

All the village roles intertwined nicely I felt, made it a tough battle for the wolves.

The SK was really unlucky this game, seer peeking him and then ourselves deciding to take him out - it was always gonna be tough. Sorry beaker, that's the second time I've been on a wolf team and taken you out as SK :(

Goldrush Mechanics:

I thought these were perfectly designed. Loved the x mod element of the randing of prizes which gave a thought to players there were 30 available prizes at all times. Nicely thought out.
    The wolves only being able to win one whilst Ellsworth lives gave me a few sleepless nights tbh :pac:
    The SK there as a buffer to stop the village from being able to fully clear the prize winners was a good idea - shame we took that out before the first one!!!
    Made our job tougher, but we got a nice break with Ecto blocking the gold protector.

On that, I saw that a few made comments about me snatching the prize when Abi won it - I felt I had no choice as I was looking like the dead cert lynch. From that position I was able to disrupt and break down the trust of the other villagers of each other. Hopefully my team mates aren't annoyed - it wasn't meant in a nasty way!

Overall I think the Goldrush was well designed, with nicely varied prizes. And I definitely liked that prizes were random, so whilst a seer peek (that I won) was not really of much use, it at the very least stopped the village from getting and vice versa with Drumpot's lynch immunity. It also provided a hot discussion topic for each day, which kept people posting.

That being said, and I'm likely in the minority here - I'm not a fan of prizes in games tbh. I appreciate the effort people go to in arranging the contests - but I don't like the element of luck that it introduces into the game. It also genuinely prevents the village from doing some investigative work and keeps their minds on prizes, giving good wolves ample places to hide and disrupt.

On the wolf team:

The powers were nicely balanced as counter to the village.

Loved the George Hearst role, would have loved to see that actually come to pass - not just as I was a wolf, but for the sake of the role getting a chance to flourish.
    The roleblocker and bodyvig on alternating days/nights was also a great touch, protect could have been useful at endgame, but the extra kill was more beneficial in the early days.
    My own one was not new but also a perfect addition I felt. As the game went on and my team-mates were sadly killed off, I had that one peek cushion and did not have any worries about the seer. Sorry Drumpot :(

Final points I thought the new players this game were excellent. From Choc Chip drawing a munch on night 0 (Sorry Choc, I guess I'm the newbie killer now :o ), to TheSkunk and Dublinandy having a massive impact on endgame and in fact voting correctly for the village.

That timing at the end Skunk - don't worry at all, it takes a while to perfect those late votes, I was SH1TTING myself that my laptop would glitch and the village would have taken it. 9 times out of ten that vote wins the game, so don't feel bad about it.

Newbies this game plus the other guys who have just joined are making the games even more worth it. I truly hope ye all stay around for a long time, and look forward to doing battle again in the future... if I get past night 0, of course :pac:

To my wolfy team-mates, we made a great team. When people read the backrooms they'll see how much effort my fellow wolves put into this game, could not have done it without them.

Once again though, credit to the mods. This was my favorite game of the year so far, and that wouldn't have changed if the result had gone the other way.
    Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

I'd have to echo a lot of what Necro said above. I really, really enjoyed this game and honestly, think not knowing anything much about Deadwood helped me because I wasn't trying to read too much into things. Definite applause to the newbies to the game, they played so well and added a lot to it.

Things I Loved:
    Seer Killing Wolf - I'd love to see this again.
    SK with chance to gain extra kills - giving the SK a real fighting chance
    Joanie's role - definitely a role that could be reused or tinkered with, valuing survival
    Limited shared backroom - I thought this was very clever and would love to see it used again.

Things I Liked:
    Goldrush Mechanic - I actually like prizes but I think possibly once per day to prevent distraction to village - that said though, the fact that it could be (and was) used to identify a wolf may have been a suitable counterbalance to this. Wouldn't want to see it every game but really enjoyed it in this one so well done. On the subject of Necro claiming the prize - speaking as one of the wolves, it made strategic sense for him to do it. I know it wasn't me who won but I expected him to do it and it pretty much kept him in the game to bring it home for the wolves.
    Alternating Wolf Powers - Clever and provided nice balance.

The only thing I wasn't quite so fond of was having so many roled villagers; this is really just personal preference though.

Overall the game was pretty perfectly balanced and great fun to play so well done Mods!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Seer killing wolf was a great idea. On reflection, the only disappointing aspect of the game was I didn't make full use of it. If I'd played more out there I would have actually made myself a potential target for a seer peek.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Necro wrote: »
    On that, I saw that a few made comments about me snatching the prize when Abi won it - I felt I had no choice as I was looking like the dead cert lynch. From that position I was able to disrupt and break down the trust of the other villagers of each other. Hopefully my team mates aren't annoyed - it wasn't meant in a nasty way!

I would not have been able to claim it on thread anyway as that would raise some serious questions with me not in the list of people who voted 1-5. You were in fact the only one of the wolves who could claim it on thread without looking odd and in doing so because of our role block could confirm yourself good in the villages eyes. It was a smart move and a no brainer once realized tbh especially given how it flipped you from being under suspicion at the time to being clear.

and in terms of feedback ummm... It was good. Nothing groundbreaking but everything worked well imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Hard to know if my panic and inability to keep up was related to work. I definitely didn't feel it was slow! I did enjoy it, maybe the marketing needs revision.

I liked the length but man it was daunting to go back and review posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

A lower max post count might be a good idea.

Agree. 100 seemed plenty low on paper especially over 30 hours or whatever it was. But it was actually loads. A lower post limit adhered to would have kept it more manageable.

Also, the wolves had no mystery. We knew everything. In other games wolves still had the mystery of who the roled players were. Would have made it a bit more interesting as a wolf and more achievable as a villager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Clarabel wrote: »
    Hard to know if my panic and inability to keep up was related to work. I definitely didn't feel it was slow!

Doubt it. I basically did no work throughout the whole game and still felt the same haha.

I like the Lower max post idea. Really it's the amount of posts that make it 'not slow' if you think about it.

I also love the idea of twilight. I know as a mod it was useful for gathering the votes without rushing too. But then others said they’d like some twilight time to comment on the lynch result. Maybe a compromise:

9pm lynch closes, twilight starts
    9.30pm lynch results
    10pm twilight ends, posting embargo

quickbeam wrote: »
    I also love the idea of twilight. I know as a mod it was useful for gathering the votes without rushing too. But then others said they’d like some twilight time to comment on the lynch result. Maybe a compromise:

9pm lynch closes, twilight starts
    9.30pm lynch results
    10pm twilight ends, posting embargo

It's a work-in-progress I think re: twilight. That way you mention could be a decent compromise tbf.

I think the closed nights were good, I know there were one or two slips but I don't mind that, it's a new concept. But it allows people to reset and gather their thoughts.

Also thanks for pretty much abiding by it full time guys, a couple of mistakes were bound to happen but ye were a good bunch for our guinea pigs :)

I liked it the way it was in this game personally. If you have any time after the lynch it will only be used strategically anyway, so best to leave it til the morning, imo.

I like the downtime at night. didn't know that wasn't a regular thing. I'd have been up the wall if posting wasn't blocked for that glorious (but painful) 12 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Couple of points,

Is there a need to close the tread for night phase or what is the exact purpose if it?
    Maybe start speed days when it runs down to a particular number of players left. Maybe that defeats the purpose of a slow burn. However, nearly three weeks is a long time to be thinking of ww, and with potentially just finishing one game and another around the corner, I fear burnout.
    As other have suggested, maybe lower the post quota.
    Maybe try a vanilaplex next.

Kolido wrote: »
    Couple of points,

Is there a need to close the tread for night phase or what is the exact purpose if it?
    Maybe start speed days when it runs down to a particular number of players left. Maybe that defeats the purpose of a slow burn. However, nearly three weeks is a long time to be thinking of ww, and with potentially just finishing one game and another around the corner, I fear burnout.
    As other have suggested, maybe lower the post quota.
    Maybe try a vanilaplex next.

Basically....

The idea behind the thread closure/post embargo is that the night phase is the wolves time to plot and plan and do their things. It doesn't have to be a regular thing, I just wanted to trial it.

I deliberately held off speed days this game as it was advertised as a slow-burn so felt I had to keep the same pace.

But I absolutely get what you're saying re: burnout.

Post Quota I thought was fine, but maybe if people wanted I could cut it down to 50 if having one again.

And yeah, if I was to run a longer game again I'd include a couple of roles to make things a bit spicier :)

Enjoyed the 36/12 - thought it was a good format.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Basically....

The idea behind the thread closure/post embargo is that the night phase is the wolves time to plot and plan and do their things. It doesn't have to be a regular thing, I just wanted to trial it.

I deliberately held off speed days this game as it was advertised as a slow-burn so felt I had to keep the same pace.

But I absolutely get what you're saying re: burnout.

Post Quota I thought was fine, but maybe if people wanted I could cut it down to 50 if having one again.

And yeah, if I was to run a longer game again I'd include a couple of roles to make things a bit spicier :)

I never felt like there was ever any danger of people going near the limit, even 50, did anyone post 50 times over one 36hr period? IMO if theres a limit it should be one that actually limits people. It would make it easier to ISO as well.
    I liked the closed night phase, even in a shorter game a closed phase of maybe 6/8hours could work.
    I would have liked a bit of time after the lynch announcement to chat, I think we could have learned more
    I said it over on D&D but it was a long game, maybe a few more roles could speed that up though

Maybe include a euthanasia role for the next long game, where players can seek to be released from this world when it goes in to the three week mark :)

• Advertisement

Green&Red wrote: »
    I never felt like there was ever any danger of people going near the limit, even 50, did anyone post 50 times over one 36hr period? IMO if theres a limit it should be one that actually limits people. It would make it easier to ISO as well.
    I liked the closed night phase, even in a shorter game a closed phase of maybe 6/8hours could work.
    I would have liked a bit of time after the lynch announcement to chat, I think we could have learned more
    I said it over on D&D but it was a long game, maybe a few more roles could speed that up though

Actually we had one breach of the 100 post limit :D I won't reveal the offender though, it wasn't a massive deal.

I think sKeith capped out at 100 posts in one phase as well.

But yeah maybe it was too high, the thing about post limits is that I don't want them to actively hinder the village trying to solve the game. But I guess if everyone is working to the same parameters a reduction is fair.

Thanks for all the feedback though, definitely a few things to take away and improve on for other games.

I should have prefaced that by saying I thought it was a great game, first time I was down to the business end and turns out I'm as useless in the real thing as I have been in the DR
    I need to remember that ye f€ckers can never be trusted

You can trust me, G&R, it turns out.

Green&Red wrote: »
    I should have prefaced that by saying I thought it was a great game, first time I was down to the business end and turns out I'm as useless in the real thing as I have been in the DR
    I need to remember that ye f€ckers can never be trusted

:pac:

What you mean, I'm perfectly trustworthy....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

:pac:

What you mean, I'm perfectly trustworthy....

Good one Brendan ;)

Loved the game. Lovedddd twilight, it was so nice having that little wind down time. Loved the nights being closed too. Loved Andy’s stories. Loved Necros gifs. Did I mention how much I loved everything? :P

Only gripe I had was how long it went on for. Think it was just too many players to get out of the way though. Even if it had of ended on Clarabels lynch it would have made a difference. Could try it with 20 players so then nobody will think I’m a wolf for being numerically challenged :D

Have ye ever tried double lynching?

Well we effectively only had 19 players what with the four modkills. It could still be going if they played. If we want it shorted we’d want 16-17 players I reckon.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Well we effectively only had 19 players what with the four modkills. It could still be going if they played. If we want it shorted we’d want 16-17 players I reckon.

Max numbers for my next attempt will be 17, I've got a design ready to roll for it and all. Just need to try and not clash with a game and make sure I've got time myself to run it :)

I'm thinking a few months though otherwise what Kolido was referring to could happen ie: burnout

Max numbers for my next attempt will be 17, I've got a design ready to roll for it and all.

Excited!

• Advertisement

Max numbers for my next attempt will be 17, I've got a design ready to roll for it and all. Just need to try and not clash with a game and make sure I've got time myself to run it :)

I'm thinking a few months though otherwise what Kolido was referring to could happen ie: burnout

If we had a closed night in the Hunger games, we could run it during that phase with a locked daylight phase. They'd compliment each other like yin and Yang.

Advertisement