Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 6 "The Iron Throne" - Spoilers post 2 forw

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Drogon Eats Ghost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Yermande

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I agree with everything in this post, and sometimes use those sites in a similar way, but unfortunately your words don’t really align to how you used the site data in your earlier post. No matter what caveats you added, quoting specific percentage numbers to compare two shows from different eras, with very popularity and genres, isn’t using the sites for a ‘very general feel’.

The two shows aren’t an apples to apples comparison and by using questionable quality data from those sites just muddy things further.

That's how I use those sites when I'm 'previewing' stuff I might want to watch. Earlier in the thread I wasn't gauging for a 'general feel' of what to watch. I've already watched those shows in their entirety.

There I was illustrating that there was a huge difference between how critics and fans perceived the apparent drop in quality of The Wire and Game of Thrones based on those sources. I quoted the exact percentages to illustrate the extent of the difference. At no point was I directly comparing each show to each other in terms of their inherent value or quality.

I'm happy with the approach I took to illustrate a general point. You're not happy with it. No problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Bran, you must govern because you know us best, all our past, all our failures, all our history.

Ok, but you must be my Hand, you must atone, you must redeem yourself.

I will do that.

/Cut/

/New scene/

ok, I'll look for the dragon, you carry on with kingdom-fixing stuff. Bye.

Sure, see you later. Hey, did I ever tell the rest of you about when I visited a brothel with a donkey and honeycomb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

osarusan wrote: »
    Bran, you must govern because you know us best, all our past, all our failures, all our history.

Ok, but you must be my Hand, you must atone, you must redeem yourself.

I will do that.

/Cut/

/New scene/

ok, I'll look for the dragon, you carry on with kingdom-fixing stuff. Bye.

Sure, see you later. Hey, did I ever tell the rest of you about when I visited a brothel with a donkey and honeycomb?

I think they did a decent job splitting the work if the two jobs at that point were warging to find a dragon and overseeing the funding of the water system etc. Think their skill sets fitted quite well to what they ended up doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭RickBlaine

It was the most boring possible way Dany could have died though. Like imagine if it was a standard 10 episode season and during that scene Dany stabbed and killed Jon instead because she is so paranoid he will betray her. Then we could have a few more episodes actually showing Dany as the mad queen and how Sansa, Tyrion and the rest could work together to get rid of her. Have her actually understanding the consequences of her actions as she looses the throne she has spent 10 years to get.

Walter White often had to face the consequences of his actions as Heisenberg. That's what made his character so great to watch. But Dany's character didn't get that opportunity.

There were 100s of fan theories, some great and some ridiculous. But it seems that the writers went for the most boring and mundane possible conclusion.

This isn't about being disappointed that the show didn't meet my expectations about what would happen. But it is about the show not meeting my expectations in terms of quality and story telling innovation, and in some cases, basic screen writing competence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

God its just the worst season of any show EVER.

Every episode got worse and worse, the whole season could have been 40 minutes long.

Talked about it in work after episode 2 and predicted Denarys would turn into mad queen, wreck the gaf, Jon would kill her and Tyrion would be the King. So pissed off the Tyrion thing didnt happen and not sure why he didn't Bran said "well I am the king" after saying he wanted Tyrion to be king and then Tyron is the hand.

WTF, the whole thing was donkey balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Shemale wrote: »

Every episode got worse and worse, the whole season could have been 40 minutes long.

Talked about it in work after episode 2 and predicted Denarys would turn into mad queen, wreck the gaf, Jon would kill her and Tyrion would be the King. So pissed off the Tyrion thing didnt happen and not sure why he didn't Bran said "well I am the king" after saying he wanted Tyrion to be king and then Tyron is the hand.

WTF, the whole thing was donkey balls.

Tyrion is pretty much the king anyway because Bran has no interest in human affairs and just spends his time appearing out of nowhere in his wheelchair in between sessions of warging into different beings with no real rhyme or reason.

Seriously, he had his tedious adventure north of the wall and gained the amazing power to do *drumroll* **** all!

Let's make him king. That makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I still can't figure out the Sansa bit, "you're my brother and I love you" and makes herself Queen in the North. No **** you I am a Stark and I will rule all 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Shemale wrote: »

It was a thousand times better than the best season of Big Bang Theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Sansa voted leave #Nexit

That's two dud HBO finales in 1 week. Veep was crap as well. Another excellent show that couldn't stick the landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

I mean it's up to individual people to remember the show they are watching. We were told that dragons are intelligent.

I do remember the show I'm watching. And I've never seen any example of a dragon having the level of intelligence that would make it believable when he decides that the small clump of metal that he's never seen before is the ultimate cause of his grief. Especially when the actual murder weapon is still embedded in his mother's chest, and covered in the scent of the only other person in the room.

The closest we have is a man retelling what he's read other people say. And in fiction, that's not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Grayditch wrote: »
    It was a thousand times better than the best season of Big Bang Theory.

I'm not sure it's possible to actually watch an entire season of that tbh. Harrowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

To echo the sentiments of many I was underwhelmed by season 8.

Re the episode itself I enjoyed it up to Danaery's death.Peter Dinklage stole the show.

Raman Djawadi score yet again was wonderful and I loved the cinematography.I thought the CGI was very good.Yet as has been a common complaint the dialogue on occasion was very basic and lacking in gravity.Oft times more suited to a shtick.

Was Kings Landings suffering from the ravages of climate change with the apparently ever changing weather patterns?

Jon Snow now default moody lethargic demeanour was depressing as ever.

What was with the collection of supposed noble people/most prominent rulers in the dragon pit?A bunch of fan favourites who could hardly be taken seriously.Samwell Tarley,Brienne of Tarth,Ser Davos of Seaworth( the most over rated character to last the course ) :rolleyes: even Prince Robyn of Arynn who's now all grown up.Surely others of greater gravitas could have been resurrected.It was all too similar to the finale of Star Wars A New Hope.

Could any less suitable a motley crew have been selected to advise the new king?

Bronn the master of coin,I don't care what training Samwell Tarley received in Oldtown..the grandmaester!:eek:Need I go on.Twas a gag a minute,hardly a fitting finale.More akin to the Ewoks celebration at the death of Return of the Jedi.

Bran the Broken would have worked for me if I'd warmed to his character but he was less than human or involved post his fall and when he became the TER.The ultimate grandmaster of chess it appears.Yet his powers,motives and warging could have better been explained.There was next to no character development.

So the finish post season 6 was too rushed,the motives and termination of the Night King story was very unsatisfactory and for me should have come at the culmination of the series.Much of the lore and tie ups re the prince that was promised were never truly developed.Many of the fan conspiracy theories would have lead to a superior conclusion.

Happy enough with the Sansa,Arya and even Jon tie ups.The draw north of the wall for Jon was always present,I imagine he may yet break his vows and find a Ygritte mark 2.

I would have loved if we'd seen another Night King appear in the distant forest.

Yermande wrote: »
    That's two dud HBO finales in 1 week. Veep was crap as well. Another excellent show that couldn't stick the landing.

I liked it. Once I got to grips with the final season going completely nuts and
    making Jonah a candidate, Veep's potential Trump
    I enjoyed the last season and that finale.

I liked it. Once I got to grips with the final season going completely nuts and
    making Jonah a candidate, Veep's potential Trump
    I enjoyed the last season and that finale.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I personally found the overall quality dropped from season 6 onward but I can see why people got a kick out of the change of approach.

A big problem for me was the number of characters that spoke the same barbed language. Don't get me wrong, I bloody love how raw and direct it is, but if you listed out a series of quotes right now I couldn't tell who said what. Allowing everyone to run riot actually lessened its impact. Kent actually became one of my favourite characters as a result of that because his profanity-free dialogue made him unique.

Anyone that thinks Veep is a watered down version of The Thick of It (I've often heard it said) needs to watch it from start to finish. It takes a lot to shock me but sweet Jesus there's some seriously evil put-downs in it!

Anyway, a fantastic series despite my own few reservations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

GOT's was known for shock value. But why did everyone expect that to continue? In hindsight, they killed off what we thought were main characters, they weren't. They had to finish the show with the actual main characters.

I've read the books and watched the show. Both decent. Back to reading Lord of the Rings again though

GOT's was known for shock value. But why did everyone expect that to continue? In hindsight, they killed off what we thought were main characters, they weren't. They had to finish the show with the actual main characters.

I've read the books and watched the show. Both decent. Back to reading Lord of the Rings again though

How do you feel about Amazon's upcoming LotR adaptations?

• Advertisement

How do you feel about Amazon's upcoming LotR adaptations?

Hard to know. Cautiously optimistic. With Christopher Tolkien out of the way, the franchise will grow tenfold. Will probably be the biggest show of all time upon it's release

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

People died, but they died for character driven reasons, not story driven.

Ned Stark died because Joffrey was a dick.
    Rob died because he was losing the war and listened to his dick instead of his advisors.
    The characters were fantastic and watching them interact with each other was what made the show appealing. Look at Arya and the Hound. Their best scenes had zero plot impact, but major character development impact.
    The best lines from all characters usually have nothing to do with the story, just observations on life and circumstance.

Whenever they strayed into plot driven dialogue things got stale. Dany in Slavers Bay for instance. It was a box ticking exercise of events until she could leave. The last 2 seasons are all plot driven and suffer from it.

IMO Sansa and Theon are the best characters of the show purely because they have quite small plot roles , Sansa is a hostage for most of it, Theon has a part at the beginning, but his plot involvement falls away after he takes Winterfell.
    But they have fully fleshed out character arcs. Every decision they make is true to who they are at the particular point in their development.
    Every other characters breaks away from this because their decisions are needed to drive a plot and often conflict with the characters own desires and drives.

People died, but they died for character driven reasons, not story driven.

Ned Stark died because Joffrey was a dick.
    Rob died because he was losing the war and listened to his dick instead of his advisors.
    The characters were fantastic and watching them interact with each other was what made the show appealing. Look at Arya and the Hound. Their best scenes had zero plot impact, but major character development impact.
    The best lines from all characters usually have nothing to do with the story, just observations on life and circumstance.

Whenever they strayed into plot driven dialogue things got stale. Dany in Slavers Bay for instance. It was a box ticking exercise of events until she could leave. The last 2 seasons are all plot driven and suffer from it.

IMO Sansa and Theon are the best characters of the show purely because they have quite small plot roles , Sansa is a hostage for most of it, Theon has a part at the beginning, but his plot involvement falls away after he takes Winterfell.
    But they have fully fleshed out character arcs. Every decision they make is true to who they are at the particular point in their development.
    Every other characters breaks away from this because their decisions are needed to drive a plot and often conflict with the characters own desires and drives.

I agree to an extent, but you need a story ultimately. +1 on Theon though. Best character and best acted character on the show imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

I agree to an extent, but you need a story ultimately. +1 on Theon though. Best character and best acted character on the show imo

True, you need a balance.
    IMO the balance was totally wrong.
    They needed an extra season at least to carry the story to a satisfying close. Shame we didn't get it.

True, you need a balance.
    IMO the balance was totally wrong.
    They needed an extra season at least to carry the story to a satisfying close. Shame we didn't get it.

Even worse, considering HBO made the funds available to let them do 10 episode seasons.

If the story we got was ultimately GRRM's envisioned story, or close enough, in hindsight it was a weak enough story

Hard to know. Cautiously optimistic. With Christopher Tolkien out of the way, the franchise will grow tenfold. Will probably be the biggest show of all time upon it's release

Yeah I'm pretty much the same. I enjoyed the Jackson trilogy but I don't think it's too soon for a revisit.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I personally found the overall quality dropped from season 6 onward but I can see why people got a kick out of the change of approach.

A big problem for me was the number of characters that spoke the same barbed language. Don't get me wrong, I bloody love how raw and direct it is, but if you listed out a series of quotes right now I couldn't tell who said what. Allowing everyone to run riot actually lessened its impact. Kent actually became one of my favourite characters as a result of that because his profanity-free dialogue made him unique.

Anyone that thinks Veep is a watered down version of The Thick of It (I've often heard it said) needs to watch it from start to finish. It takes a lot to shock me but sweet Jesus there's some seriously evil put-downs in it!

Anyway, a fantastic series despite my own few reservations.

I replied to this in the Veep thread before we get a slap on the wrist for going way off topic :pac:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110245344#post110245344

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭munster87

Best part of the season for me was the night king piano piece by Ramin Djawadi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭PressRun

NuMarvel wrote: »
    I do remember the show I'm watching. And I've never seen any example of a dragon having the level of intelligence that would make it believable when he decides that the small clump of metal that he's never seen before is the ultimate cause of his grief. Especially when the actual murder weapon is still embedded in his mother's chest, and covered in the scent of the only other person in the room.

The closest we have is a man retelling what he's read other people say. And in fiction, that's not enough.

The dragons actions would require it to understand metaphorical thinking, which is just ridiculous even if they are supposed to be intelligent animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I only got around to watching the last episode last night.
    I have watched from the start but wouldn't say I was an obsessive fan.
    The first 3 episodes of this series were decent I thought, I enjoyed them but the last 3 have been they felt rushed and like they had to cover too much ground, Danys descent into madness felt extremely sloppy and rushed.
    The ending felt entirely predictable.
    Like some other people have said I didn't think the actually endings for the characters were horrendous but the journey to get there felt so quick, with excellent characters being given fairly poor deaths.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it but bizarrely the ending mirrored IMO the ending of The Hunger Games!

SPOILERS for that below.
    Katniss is Jon
    Alma is Dany
    Leaders of the rebels katniss and Alma coin lead rising against evil regime.
    Alma coin sacrifices innocent people in battle.
    Katniss then kills Alma coin for what she has done. Katniss then lives the rest of her life in exile.

Advertisement