Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Have you got a link for that? I can't see any connection between SSPX and Tommy Robinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,225 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

robindch wrote: »
    You can get an idea for how low relations have sunk between these two groups from this report which casts, almost in military terms, one minor showdown between neo-SSPX and "SSPX Resistance".

Looks like it's curtains for Fr. Ballini :

Don%20Giacomo3.JPG

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Looks like it's curtains for Fr. Ballini :

Don%20Giacomo3.JPG

Looks like that when he left the church, rather than have him defrocked they had him reupholstered :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

smacl wrote: »
    Looks like that when he left the church, rather than have him defrocked they had him reupholstered :)

I'd love that in a cushion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Actually on the topic of Christopher Yaxley-Lennon, alias 'Tommy Robinson', he got creamed (literally) a few days back when two people threw milk-derived foodstuffs over him.

As one guy remarked a little afterwards - a case of the Lactose meeting the Intolerant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W4e4bUB4iU

Fantastic!
    The lad that did it also seems a really nice open minded chap!
    I'd say he himself could be a very secular and tolerant individual.

• Advertisement

Community of Nuns (well - 2 nuns really -) in Leap in trouble over total lack of planning permission. Apparently the Carmelite Nuns of the Holy Face of Jesus only speak for an hour a day which may have impacted on their ability to apply for planning - although it does beg the question how they communicated with their builders. Post-it notes perhaps.
    Part of their 'defense' is that they thought more women would join the community. But alas, Sr Irene Gibson built it and only Sr Anne Marie came. From New Zealand.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/nuns-ordered-to-leave-unauthorised-compound-by-cork-county-council-924248.html

As an aside do clerics get a free pass when it comes in immigration? Did Sr Anne Marie rock up at immigration and say (in her well timed allotted hour of speech or via post-it notes) "I'm going to live in poverty with another nun living in poverty on land the Nuns of the Holy Face of Jesus own in West Cork" and Immigration said "Failte. Here's your stamped passport. Will you be expecting many more to join you as we'll need a new ink pad if there's a floodgate of silent nuns on the way?" But Sr Anne Marie only smiled as her hour was up and she'd run out of post-it notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Polish bishops will meet on May 22 to discuss steps to tackle paedophilia in Poland's powerful Catholic Church after a documentary that showed victims confronting priests who had sexually abused them shocked the devout nation.
    The film "Tell No One", which has been watched by 14.8 million people since Youtube released it on Saturday, also alleges that the Polish Church moved known paedophile priests from parish to parish, as happened in other countries.
    https://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/viral-documentary-tell-no-one-uncovers-sexual-abuse-by-polish-clergy-and-sparks-furious-response-38114588.html

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Nuns of the Holy Face of Jesus

I thought you'd mockingly made this up, until I clicked on the article!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Isn't it wonderful when the reader can't be sure if it's a Poe or not? :D

Sounds like something from Father Ted :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Community of Nuns (well - 2 nuns really -) in Leap in trouble over total lack of planning permission.
    That particular issue, and the unusual lady behind it, have been rumbling along for many years in all kind of odd directions.

Briefly, around twenty years ago, Irene Gibson collected cash, bought a place in Mayo, renovated it and opened it for prayers of a strongly catholic kind, then sat back and waited for crowds to arrive. Unfortunately, the venture didn't work out, as the place concerned was amongst the wettest in Ireland and remote to boot. RTE paid a visit in 2003 - see a 30-minute documentary here. A venture in Athlone didn't work out either and by 2016, Gibson was looking for somebody to lend/give her a caravan so she could move to a place near Rosscarbery in Co Cork. The Lord, however, provided and she purchased a small plot of land near the town and set up shop there, erecting a range of buildings of one kind or another. Unfortunately, the venture didn't work out as she had applied for, but not received planning permission for anything and the county council, on foot of objections from locals, stepped in to enforce regulations. She appeared a number of times on Joe Duffy to complain about planning. And of last September, the property was up for sale on the condition that the site was returned to its native state and the court action seems to have confirmed this.

Rumour has it that Ms Gibson is currently in residence with - wait for it - none other than the good figure of Fr Ballini above, and his merry band of SSPX Resitanceers - as he runs a separate compound a few miles away, also catering for catholics of the strongly fundamentalist kind.

Gibson announced a few months back that she, and presumably her new convert, will be heading to New Zealand to try again there. It's not clear how Gibson, presumably in her sixties at this point, will be permitted permanent entry into New Zealand, a country which has strong rules concerning immigration by elderly people.

BTW, Gibson's one convert appeared on the front page of the Irish Times yesterday:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/new-zealand-woman-joins-nuns-in-cork-and-takes-vow-of-silence-1.3891163

As an aside do clerics get a free pass when it comes in immigration?
    Oddly enough no - Gibson's website above has a few PDF newsletters, one of which indicates that one of her priestly friends has been having visa trouble at Cork airport and was denied entry.
    Isn't it wonderful when the reader can't be sure if it's a Poe or not? :D
    For reasons far too tedious to go into, I can assure you that Irene Gibson and Fr Ballini are very real figures indeed, and their beliefs are exactly as one would expect from hardline, catholic fundamentalists.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

BTW, Gibson's one convert appeared on the front page of the Irish Times yesterday:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/new-zealand-woman-joins-nuns-in-cork-and-takes-vow-of-silence-1.3891163

You could be forgiven for thinking someone's having a laugh, that nun looks rather familiar :)

480371.JPG

Somebody put this up in AH

The Polish civil rights activist who put up images of the Virgin Mary with a rainbow halo said she did so to protest against what she calls the "exclusion of LGBT people from society" by the country's Catholic Church.
    The images were placed around the city of Plock late last month by Elzbieta Podlesna, in reaction to an Easter display there featuring slogans about crimes or sins.

Ms Podlesna works as a psychotherapist in a hospital. But early last week, police officers woke her shortly after 06:00 and searched her Warsaw apartment - confiscating laptops, a mobile telephone, pen drives and even a stack of old floppy discs.
    She was then taken to Plock for questioning and was charged with offending religious feelings - a crime in Poland, punishable by up to two years in prison.
    In a tweet, Poland's Interior Minister Joachim Brudzinski applauded the police's actions, writing: "All that nonsense about freedom and 'tolerance' does not give ANYONE the right to insult the feelings of the faithful".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48257706

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/meps-express-deep-concerns-at-mcguinness-proposal-on-church-access-1.3893619
    A group of MEPs has voiced concerns about proposals from Fine Gael MEP Midlands North-West EU candidate Mair McGuinness to give churches and secular groups greater access to European Union institutions and MEPs.

In a leaked report compiled by Ms McGuinness and obtained by news website OpenDemocracy, she proposes increasing dialogue between religious organisations and MEPs dealing with legislation proposed by the European Commission.

“This would allow for individual partners to flag up dossiers where they feel they could make a particular contribution. The religious representatives expressed the view that such consultations would help ensure that policy considerations were not limited to narrow sectoral interests, but also took account of broader societal implications of policy and legislation and the need for the legislator to seek the common good,” the report states.

Ms McGuinness, who is vice-president of the European Parliament, insisted that the proposed changes would apply to “all stakeholders” and are “not limited to any one group, so there would not be different levels of access for churches compared to secular groups”.

However, MEPs who are part of the European Parliament Platform for Secularism in Politics expressed “deep concerns”, saying the report appears “to endorse” the views of the churches.

Saying that the recommendations would be “a severe violation” of the principle of separation between religions and politics, if implemented, French MEP Virginie Rozi told OpenDemocracy that they are “completely crazy”.

On Wednesday night, the Irish MEP said religious and philosophical opinion across the EU was consulted, including Catholic, Protestant, Muslim, Jewish, Mormon, Bahai, Hindu, Humanist and Masonic voices.

The report complies with EU treaties and would not offer extra lobbying strength to individual groups, she insisted: “If anything, it is about bringing Europe closer to the people.”

The next moves will be up to the next European Parliament, she said: “The proposals to the bureau were on the basis of which points were broadly supported, feasible and legally possible.”

The churches underlined the presence they have “in virtually every city, town and village across the EU”, she said, and “emphasised the unique value” they offer as “a two-way conduit for discussion about European initiatives”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

What is it with this constant need to consult with religious organisations.

Keep them away from policy. Just look at the damage they have caused across the world

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Only one reason the god-botherers want this: abortion. Now they want to slime into EU politics even more than now. Fuhgeddaboutit.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I think we're going to need a bigger milkshake.
    Farage was milkshook earlier today:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-48339711
    BBC wrote:
    Paul Crowther, 32, from Throckley, Newcastle, said it was a £5.25 Five Guys banana and salted caramel milkshake.

480776.jpg

Farage was milkshook earlier today:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-48339711

480776.jpg

Whats this got to do with hazards of belief ?

Or are you so happy that your Islamist hero who originally threw one at Robinson has a cult following now ?

Or are you so happy that your Islamist hero who originally threw one at Robinson has a cult following now ?

Mod: This is borderline attacking the poster - to be kind about it - and therefore a thing frowned upon in these here parts -be less savage and hectoring if you wish to continue posting here.

Thanking you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,444 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You see brown skin and jump to this conclusion? Or can you back this claim up with evidence?

Whats this got to do with hazards of belief?
    Not all that much since it should have gone into the right-wing fruitcakes thread - or indeed, the left-wing nut thread, as it seems you'd prefer :rolleyes:

You see brown skin and jump to this conclusion?
    The belief that non-African dark skin means "islam" means "invaaaaaaaders!!!" certainly seems to be a common hazard amongst certain right-wing populist poo-stirrers.

You have evidence this person is indeed an "Islamist"?

Odhinn wrote: »
    You have evidence this person is indeed an "Islamist"?

Saying "insha'Allah" in the back of the police car, seems pretty into Islam to me.
    Doubt he's exactly secular now is he ?

And not to you, but others calling me racist ... :D .. yeah , it's "racism".

sometimes I wish all other things being equal Islam was predominantly practiced by white Australians.
    Christ it would be banned in the west, banned outright as pure hateful ideology.

Saying "insha'Allah" in the back of the police car, seems pretty into Islam to me.

I've been known on a reasonably regular basis to say "for jaysus sake", "divine jaysus", "mother of divine jaysus". This does not me a practicing catholic make.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Christ it would be banned in the west, banned outright as pure hateful ideology.

Seems you just made yourself a Christian.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,444 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

And not to you, but others calling me racist ... :D .. yeah , it's "racism".

sometimes I wish all other things being equal Islam was predominantly practiced by white Australians.

Thats the same as you saying "ill be home in an hour please god"

It doesnt maje anyone an "islamist"

Clutching at racist straws to say the least :rolleyes:

Odhinn wrote: »
    I've been known on a reasonably regular basis to say "for jaysus sake", "divine jaysus", "mother of divine jaysus". This does not me a practicing catholic make.
    I'm a big fan of "oh-fer-christs-sake" and "for the love of divine holy jesus and all the saints".

Not sure that I'd be counted a church-going militant catholic though.

• Advertisement

I'm a big fan of "oh-fer-christs-sake" and "for the love of divine holy jesus and all the saints".

Not sure that I'd be counted a church-going militant catholic though.

Generally if I am heard to say JesusChristAllMighty! it's best to stay clear of me as something has just gone pear shaped and I'm in search of a target to vent at.
    Do I think JesusChrist is all mighty? Do I uck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement