Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Robert Tilton

People make youtube videos of him doing his schtick with his weird facial expressions, with added fart sounds. That's how I recognised him, and 'farting preacher' on youtube delivered the goods as it were.

Always makes me think of Ron White on a bean bag eating cheetos...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

No matter what bad stuff happens in US these days Trump is blamed. It is beyond farcical. He has even been blamed for the Smollet incident.

That is not to say the man is not a dope but every frigging story mentions Trump now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,353 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    No matter what bad stuff happens in US these days Trump is blamed. It is beyond farcical. He has even been blamed for the Smollet incident.

That is not to say the man is not a dope but every frigging story mentions Trump now.

In this instance he was blamed because he did it. I dont see what your actual objection is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I dont see what your actual objection is.

Hysteria around Donald Trump. He tweets about 9/11 - massive news story. He doesn't tweet about 9/11 - massive news story. It is beyond silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,353 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Hysteria around Donald Trump. He tweets about 9/11 - massive news story. He doesn't tweet about 9/11 - massive news story. It is beyond silly.

I dont see any hysteria in the linked article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The Somali said something stupid. If a politician says something stupid, it will be highlighted by somebody somewhere, and then they only have themselves to blame.
    "For far too long, we have lived with the discomfort of being a second-class citizen and, frankly, I'm tired of it, and every single Muslim in this country should be tired of it," she said.
    "CAIR was founded after 9/11," she added, "because they recognised that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties."
    The article goes on to say
    The civil rights group was in fact founded in 1994 but grew significantly after 2001.
    The speech did not initially receive significant attention until the snippet in question was highlighted weeks later by controversial Australian personality Mohammad Tawhidi who refers to himself as the "Imam of Peace."
    So not only did she trivialise the deaths of 3000 people, but she was wrong about the history of Cair. And it was an Imam who first called her out. The Donald just followed the Imam's lead.

The Imam has some more advice for devout fellow Muslims, including this gem; "if you don't want to be in photos, don't do photoshoots" :)
    https://twitter.com/imamofpeace/status/1116244113005920257

recedite wrote: »
    The Somali said something stupid.

Referring to somebody in the third person by their country of origin is pretty dumb too, not to mention unpleasant.
    The Imam has some more advice for devout fellow Muslims

Given his fellow Muslims call this rather dodgy imam as "the fake Sheikh" I wouldn't say that advice will get much attention outside of his far right fan-boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭Odhinn

The Somali said something stupid..................

You mean the US senator. At least try to keep the mask on.

smacl wrote: »
    Referring to somebody in the third person by their country of origin is pretty dumb too, not to mention unpleasant.
    Truth justifies itself, it does not need to be dressed up in pleasantries. She is a Somali Muslim. That is at the heart of the issue.

The truth is, a real American would not have said what she said. Different mindset.

• Advertisement

Truth justifies itself, it does not need to be dressed up in pleasantries. She is a Somali Muslim. That is at the heart of the issue.

The truth is, a real American would not have said what she said. Different mindset.

Vile xenophobic nonsense.

Odhinn wrote: »
    Vile xenophobic nonsense.
    Can I escape this charge by stating that I am not an American? :pac:

Real American, as in Sioux, Cherokee, etc..? Sure the rest are all just ex-Imperial blow-ins that brought their racist baggage with them from Europe.
    Can I escape this charge by stating that I am not an American?

I'm sure you'd fit right in.

You downplay 9/11 and the opposition are gonna be all over you. Silly thing to do tbf

You downplay 9/11 and the opposition are gonna be all over you. Silly thing to do tbf

Given she's been receiving death threats, including a plan to assassinate her stopped by the FBI, I would suggest silly isn't really where this is at. Trump seems all to keen to encourage this far-right hate-fueled violence. Decent article yesterday in the Guardian covering the hate campaign directed at Ilhan Omar and the remarks she's made compared to those made by other American politicians. From the start of this article
    Here’s a question for you. Which American politician publicly referred to the terrorists who carried out the 9/11 attacks as “those folks who committed this act,” seemingly downplaying its horrors? Was it Minnesota representative Ilhan Omar? No. Try George W Bush.

Here’s another one. Which American politician publicly called Benjamin Netanyahu “your prime minister” while addressing a crowd of Jewish American supporters. Since the statement assumes Jewish Americans carry a dual loyalty to both Israel and the United States, you might assume it was Ilhan Omar, based on all we’ve been told about her. In fact, it was Donald Trump.

She hasn't actually said anything more inflammatory on the topics she's been so heavily criticised on than those around her. But then I guess they're real Americans, not those Somalis with that mindset of theirs. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The truth is, a real American would not have said what she said.
    An almost perfect example of the No True Scotsman fallacy:

https://www.logicalfallacies.info/presumption/no-true-scotsman/

A+A deserves better than that kind of silly trollery from you.

Not quite. The Scotsman analogy would hold true if I was saying she was "not an American" because of what she said.
    Whereas I refer to her as a Somali because she was born in Somalia and is ethnically a Somali.

She may or may not have gained US citizenship since, and it may well happen that the next generation of her family will think like Americans. But she does not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Whereas I refer to her as a Somali because she was born in Somalia and is ethnically a Somali.
    Ilhan Omar was granted US citizenship some twenty-odd years ago - and as an American citizen, she is therefore legally "American". The word "ethnic" has no agreed meaning in international law, so your claim that she is "ethnically" something or other is meaningless.

Relatedly, given that the majority of the inhabitants of Crimea were born in Ukraine (either as an SSR or as an independent country), your location-of-birth claim suggests that you believe most Crimeans are Ukrainians, despite your support for the flagrantly fake 2014 vote there and Putin's subsequent invasion and theft of the region.
    [...] it may well happen that the next generation of her family will think like Americans. But she does not.
    The US is a country of obviously opposing opinions and beliefs - just like Somalia and, indeed, Ireland are - so I would almost be interested to hear from you what could possibly constitute "thinking like Americans", were it not certain to invite further word salad.

Your claim that Ilhan Omar said what no "real American" would have said remains, as above, an excellent instance of the No True Scotsman fallacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Very sad to see an iconic building like Notre Dame burn down.

It is, although the blaze is under control and Macron has publicly stated that they will restore the damage. That said, not sure what this has to do with atheism or a hazard of belief. Act of God maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Indeed. Not the first time it's been damaged though, I believe, and as it's one of the most well-known buildings in the world they will hopefully be able to repair much of the damage. The artifacts it housed, however, are a different matter.

Not so much a 'hazard of belief' as a 'hazard of poor renovation standards', perhaps...?

Not quite. The Scotsman analogy would hold true if I was saying she was "not an American" because of what she said.

Utter rubbish. You said "The truth is, a real American would not have said what she said". The real American in your above statement is not Ilhan Omar, and this is about as clear cut an example of the 'No true Scotsman' fallacy as you are likely to encounter.

robindch wrote: »
    The word "ethnic" has no agreed meaning in international law, so your claim that she is "ethnically" something or other is meaningless.
    From your link...
    the United Nations Minorities Declaration in its article 1 refers to minorities as based on national or ethnic, cultural, religious and linguistic identity, and provides that States should protect their existence. There is no internationally agreed definition as to which groups constitute minorities.
    Somalis are a well known ethnic group native to East Africa.

Most of us have friends or relatives who emigrated to the US. We don't generally consider that they have ceased to be Irish. I don't think that is particularly controversial.
    But if you want to create a lot of froth and fury over it, go right ahead without me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

timothy mcveigh obviously wasn't 'a real american'; maybe we can get a dartboard out to arbitrarily decide his nationality.

timothy mcveigh obviously wasn't 'a real american'; maybe we can get a dartboard out to arbitrarily decide his nationality.
    Now that is a proper example of the "no true Scotsman" logical fallacy, while simultaneously being an example of the strawman fallacy.
    Well done!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm working on the assumption, in the absence of compelling evidence to the contrary, that when recedite says "real American" what he means is "white and non-Muslim".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not sure if correct forum, but anyone find it slightly ironic that Parisians gathered last night to say prayers after the burning down of Notre Dame cathedral?

Firstly, if God existed why did he let one of his churches, which took man 200 years to build, burn down?

What exactly are these prayers for? What is their aim?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'm working on the assumption, in the absence of compelling evidence to the contrary, that when recedite says "real American" what he means is "white and non-Muslim".
    Not at all, the USA has many religions and is a multi-racial, though not multi-cultural, society.

Not at all, the USA has many religions and is a multi-racial, though not multi-cultural, society.

Yet you saw fit to single out one of them with "The Somali said something stupid.". What's worse, you've been trying to down play it since.

• Advertisement

Is that right kemo sabe?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement