Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

robindch wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of "oh-fer-christs-sake" and "for the love of divine holy jesus and all the saints".

Not sure that I'd be counted a church-going militant catholic though.

During the repeal movement last year, if we were greeted with "Dia Dhuit" or "Dia agus Muire" our reply was "Repeal the Eighth!"

Nowadays, "Dia Dhuit" gets "Conas t'ann tu" (How are you). "Le cuiniv Dei" (God willing) we now say "Le cuiniv Trump" (my Irish spelling is poor.)

Most of our Gaelgoir friends have stopped with the god crap with us as a result.

And they're still our friends, too. Moving here from the US, first impression was that there is a much stronger anti-RCC sentiment here than the US was. Refreshing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Odhinn wrote: »
    I've been known on a reasonably regular basis to say "for jaysus sake", "divine jaysus", "mother of divine jaysus". This does not me a practicing catholic make.

disingenuous at best.
    You say it in a blasphemous way almost, nothing religious about it at all - same as myself I say those things a lot too.

The thing is if he were a western christian and had did the same to Diane abbot and afterwards in the police car (under arrest this time) he'd said "Jesus Willing" , "God willing" everyone here would be sneering at the religious idiot and how hateful his beliefs make him etc ..

Igotadose wrote: »
    During the repeal movement last year, if we were greeted with "Dia Dhuit" or "Dia agus Muire" our reply was "Repeal the Eighth!"

Nowadays, "Dia Dhuit" gets "Conas t'ann tu" (How are you). "Le cuiniv Dei" (God willing) we now say "Le cuiniv Trump" (my Irish spelling is poor.)

Most of our Gaelgoir friends have stopped with the god crap with us as a result.

And they're still our friends, too. Moving here from the US, first impression was that there is a much stronger anti-RCC sentiment here than the US was. Refreshing!

Yes indeed, anti RCC is "progressive" , while anything remotely anti Islam is "racist"

We have a long way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

disingenuous at best.
    You say it in a blasphemous way almost, nothing religious about it at all - same as myself I say those things a lot too.

The thing is if he were a western christian and had did the same to Diane abbot and afterwards in the police car (under arrest this time) he'd said "Jesus Willing" , "God willing" everyone here would be sneering at the religious idiot and how hateful his beliefs make him etc ..

How do you know he said this anyway? Not that it matters, Muslims say that the same way as catholics in ireland say "please god".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Igotadose wrote: »

People are entitled to their beliefs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

You are literally making up stuff to complain about.

branie2 wrote: »
    People are entitled to their beliefs

Agree 100%, but don;t hold up someone with a fairytale nonsense belief as a hero, whatever you think of TR.

How do you know he said this anyway? Not that it matters, Muslims say that the same way as catholics in ireland say "please god".

There's a video somewhere of him in the back of the car after it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

There's a video somewhere of him in the back of the car after it happened.

1st am hearing anything about it. As i said not that it matters.

Let's leave it, I'll agree I am being slightly presumptious, but I still would not clap what he did, it's one thug v another (mind you I do think TR is spot on re: Islam - Douglas Murray is a better role model)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭Odhinn

disingenuous at best.

Hypocritical double standards I'd say.

Basing the claim of "Islamist" on the use of such a term says far more about the accuser than the accused.

Nope.

A guide to the "concentration camps of the future" with Gemma O'Doherty

• Registered Users Posts: 34,001 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Saying "insha'Allah" in the back of the police car, seems pretty into Islam to me.

And every Irish person who's ever said "god willin'" is in the Provisional IRA. :rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

According to here one of the US's most notorious 'prosperity gospel' charlatans flew into Dublin last night by private jet

The next post says he has a gig at the Red Cow - I haven't heard anything but don't move in the right sort of circles I suppose :p

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

^^^ Red Cow from 3pm until 9pm tomorrow:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/victory-church-welcome-dr-jesse-duplantis-dr-cathy-duplantis-tickets-60007690618

Are the pickings good enough out Red Cow way to keep a $20 million jet in the air?

Registration seems to be free which seems brave in the light of ticket-allocation issues which surfaced during the last major christian figure to visit Ireland.

This is a quote from the abortion thread but my reply doesn't belong there:
    volchitsa wrote: »
    Compare that to the uproar when Ali Selim used the 8th amendment travel exception to suggest that Muslim families would be allowed to travel abroad to have FGM for their daughters. IIRC he even had to withdraw the comment.

I didn't hear about the story below though and nobody elsewhere on Boards seems to have noticed it either:

Trinity lecturer wins unfair dismissal case over female circumcision comments
    Tue, Apr 23, 2019

A university lecturer at the centre of controversy last year over television comments he made about female genital mutilation (FGM) has won his unfair dismissal case against Trinity College Dublin (TCD).

Workplace Relations Commission (WRC) adjudication officer Penelope McGrath has ordered TCD to pay Arabic lecturer Dr Ali Selim €6,144 after finding he was unfairly dismissed by the college last September.

Dr Selim is one of the leading figures in the Irish Muslim community. Ms McGrath has ordered TCD to pay Dr Selim €4,000 for his unfair dismissal, €1,644 for non-payment of notice and €500 for not receiving his written terms of employment.

Dr Selim’s unfair dismissal came seven months after comments he made on RTɒs Primetime on female circumcision sparked widespread criticism from students at TCD, doctors and other Islamic leaders.

Dr Selim told Primetime that female circumcision is acceptable in some cases where it is carried out by a doctor and practised in a safe environment.

Days after the interview, Dr Selim apologised and stated that he condemned FGM in the strongest terms.

He said: “I admit that I caused confusion based on my misunderstanding of the term [circumcision] and I do apologise for this ... I was out of my comfort zone and I misunderstood the terms as the medical experts would use them.”

Referring to the controversy in her findings, Ms McGrath stated Dr Selim “got caught up in a wave of negative publicity” arising from the comments.

Ms McGrath said Dr Selim had subsequently asserted that he had been misinterpreted but “there can be no doubt that the damage had already been done and as his “views” came to be known on the campus these was a significant backlash against him. Students protested and boycotted his classes”.

In the days after Dr Selim’s appearance on Primetime, TCD confirmed that a different lecturer would teach Dr Selim’s Arabic language students who were offended by his remarks.

TCD confirmed the move in response to complaints “from a large number of Dr Ali Selim’s students”.

In her report on the case, Ms McGrath stated she accepts fully that the majority of Dr Selim’s existing students did not avail of the alternative lecturer and Dr Selim himself suggests those that left him may not have known him as well as his 3rd and 4th year students.

In September 2018, TCD told Dr Selim his services were no longer required.

Offering its rationale for no longer employing Dr Selim, TCD told the commission his core subjects were not being availed of by students.

The college stated whether that was because of a general disinterest or an active movement to boycott his classes is unknown to the university.

TCD stated either way, it could not retain Dr Selim to give classes that no-one would attend.

In response, Dr Selim stated he was never provided by TCD with a cogent reason for letting him go. He asserted that TCD “lacked the fortitude” to retain him as a lecturer when his retention might have been unpopular with the student body arising out of cultural differences.Ms McGrath found that TCD’s actions were “inadequate”.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

€6k for unfair dismissal? That's maybe a month's gross pay for an experienced lecturer. Seems kind of like a token award, but I don't know how these things usually go.

Leading creationist Doctor Doctor Ken Ham, prezzident of Answers in Genesis, and builder of "Ark Encouter", an allegedly life-size replica of Noah's Ark, is suing his insurers for failing to pay out for - wait for it - rain damage:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/05/24/ark-encounter-owners-sue-insurers-over-rain-damage-property/1223418001/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The irony!

"Frau Merkel’s agents of Communism Lidl hate Ireland, Sunday and the family*"

*includes rants on sex, pope francis, tattoos & piercings, "green" hedonists, RTE, Freemasons in Ballsbridge, multiculturalism, the muslims taking over

• Advertisement

She needs professional help.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

robindch wrote: »
    Leading creationist Doctor Doctor Ken Ham, prezzident of Answers in Genesis, and builder of "Ark Encouter", an allegedly life-size replica of Noah's Ark, is suing his insurers for failing to pay out for - wait for it - rain damage:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/05/24/ark-encounter-owners-sue-insurers-over-rain-damage-property/1223418001/

I wonder if their insurer will claim the rain damage was an "Act of God!"

BAH-DUM-DUM TSSSH

"I don't think he was a religious man by the way he was screaming and shouting at people."

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/local-news/noss-mayo-bell-ringing-fight-2941052

Carl Eve, Crime Reporter, should win an award for the final line in the story.

Four hours of vigorous bell-ringing is a bit much.

Life ain't always empty.

Four hours of vigorous bell-ringing is a bit much.

Makes you go blind, so they say.

Police have extended their enquiries about that ding-dong in the church:

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/man-vows-end-appalling-bell-2945556

Trouble at t'Mill Mall...

Blame game over closure of chapel in Dublin’s Ilac Centre
    The chapel at Dublin’s Ilac Centre has been closed as a result of a management decision, Dublin’s Catholic archdiocese has said.

However, spokeswoman for the shopping centre denied this and advised the The Irish Times to “contact Marlborough Street”, a reference to the Pro-Cathedral in Dublin city centre, about the matter. She said management at the Ilac would not be taking any more calls on the matter.

A spokeswoman at the Pro-Cathedral repeated that the chapel had been closed by decision of the Ilac Centre’s management.

A spokeswoman for the Dublin Archdiocese said “the decision to close the Chapel in the Ilac Centre was taken by the management company.

“Catholics who wish to have quiet time to pray in the city centre are invited to consider St Saviour’s Church on Dominic Street, just a few minutes’ walk from the Ilac Centre, also a short distance away is St Martin’s Oratory in Parnell Square,” she said. “Other places of worship in the locality include St Mary’s Pro- Cathedral on Marlborough Street and the Blessed Sacrament Chapel on Bachelors Walk.”

According to the Ilac Centre website: “Tucked away under the library on the ground floor of the shopping centre, this little chapel offers a place of solitude and peace.”

A woman named Ann rang RTE's Liveline programme to express her unhappiness at the sudden closure of the chapel. She said there had been no announcement or notification of the closure after 50 years, and it saddened to see it had shut for good.

Hated it many years ago when my mother would make us go in there when we were on a shopping trip :(

Life ain't always empty.

Hated it many years ago when my mother would make us go in there when we were on a shopping trip :(

Used to be a favorite spot for either a snooze or a spot of pickpocket/purse dipping for the local addicts back when I worked security, I'm sure it'll be sorely missed by them for both reasons.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

There was a chapel in the shopping centre?!?!? :eek::rolleyes:

Would it have been too much for the faithful to, you know, walk to one of the very nearby designated places of worship??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,092 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    There was a chapel in the shopping centre?!?!? :eek::rolleyes:

Would it have been too much for the faithful to, you know, walk to one of the very nearby designated places of worship??
    They did. The chapel, a "nearby designated place of worship", was usually accessed on foot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement