Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future and potential Star Wars films - news and speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Is there anyone who'd like to see abeloth brought int from the EU?
    Father, Son, and Daughter are already cannon.

Rather they go way before the movies or way after as they'll have more freedom.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tony EH wrote: »
    Oh FFS :rolleyes:

This is just dumb.

I've yet to hear a cogent set of arguments on why 'Game of Thrones' is so "bad" now. I haven't seen 8 yet, so it may be absolute shite. But this nerdy bollocks talk has been floating around for a while and it only stems from a binary RRM involved=good and RRM not involved=bad.

It's nonsense and GoT remains one of the finest examples of modern TV that's available. It's been consistently good since it started, slight flaws and all.

It comes down to a subset of over-invested fans still getting upset when, in a show famous for pulling the rug from underneath, proceeded to pull the rug from underneath. There are level headed suggestions that the latest "they did NOT just do that" moment is bad writing, there are many others losing their nut because of whatever weird psychological compunction imbues that other subset with aggressive entitlement.

As someone who doesn't (anymore) think it's one of the finest examples of modern TV, I'll be glad when it's over and people can shut the f*ck up about it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

With GOT fans petitioning to have the final season remade, I guess it's only a matter of time until SW fans start demanding that B&W be removed from SW. At least Johnson and B&W will have lots in common.

Really?

Jesus how sad are some people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's nonsense and GoT remains one of the finest examples of modern TV that's available. It's been consistently good since it started, slight flaws and all.

Before I state the following I need to stress in no uncertain terms that modern online fandoms are largely horrible, remake petitions are embarrassing, and creatives should never really listen to fans about the direction any given film or show should go.

But as someone who's only ever thought Game of Thrones was at best 'pretty good' and far away from the best modern TV has to offer (god, I remember how weak the last season seemed when it was broadcasting at the same time as the transcendent Twin Peaks)... the writing in the past two seasons, this one in particular, has been pretty poor by the standards of what has come before. Even as someone with not much connection to the show beyond enjoying it as a Monday treat, I've been disappointed with the way they've rushed through the last couple of episodes, neglecting characters in the process. I think it's still capable of incredible spectacle and season's eight quietest, most uneventful episode is possibly even my favourite of the entire run. But they've fairly shat the bed in other respects and IMO much of the more reasonable criticism (i.e. not the shrieking hysteria) is perfectly fair and wholly justified.

Certainly doesn't make me particularly enthused about what Weiss and Benioff will do with Star Wars... but hey, will give them the benefit of the doubt until the third film where they inevitably rush through major plot developments for a well foreshadowed and yet eerily unconvincing resolution :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Really?

Jesus how sad are some people.

*scrolls through this and every other Star Wars thread*

large.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Han fired first now there is a petition I'd sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

pixelburp wrote: »
    It comes down to a subset of over-invested fans still getting upset when, in a show famous for pulling the rug from underneath, proceeded to pull the rug from underneath. There are level headed suggestions that the latest "they did NOT just do that" moment is bad writing, there are many others losing their nut because of whatever weird psychological compunction imbues that other subset with aggressive entitlement.

As someone who doesn't (anymore) think it's one of the finest examples of modern TV, I'll be glad when it's over and people can shut the f*ck up about it. :D

Well, for me that runs across several things at present, including Star Wars.
    Before I state the following I need to stress in no uncertain terms that modern online fandoms are largely horrible, remake petitions are embarrassing, and creatives should never really listen to fans about the direction any given film or show should go.

But as someone who's only ever thought Game of Thrones was at best 'pretty good' and far away from the best modern TV has to offer (god, I remember how weak the last season seemed when it was broadcasting at the same time as the transcendent Twin Peaks)...

Ah well, sure there's no accounting for taste. :pac:
    ...the writing in the past two seasons, this one in particular, has been pretty poor by the standards of what has come before. Even as someone with not much connection to the show beyond enjoying it as a Monday treat, I've been disappointed with the way they've rushed through the last couple of episodes, neglecting characters in the process. I think it's still capable of incredible spectacle and season's eight quietest, most uneventful episode is possibly even my favourite of the entire run. But they've fairly shat the bed in other respects and IMO much of the more reasonable criticism (i.e. not the shrieking hysteria) is perfectly fair and wholly justified.

There have been some dodgy parts to 'Game of Thrones' without a doubt, but I've yet to see any TV show that hasn't got dodgy parts. But, genuinely, it's been a show that I've been continually entertained by since it started and that cannot be said for much else.

Like yourself, I have no connection to it, other than a show I watch. I'm not even a fan of that kind of "Tolkien lite" type of fantasy. I couldn't care less about R.R. Martin. So, I don't have to white knight it or anything and I don't lose any sleep about stuff that people don't like. But the negative "criticism" of the show has been fairly hazy to say the least. It's usually "it's bad", or "it's crap now", etc, without offering anything of more substance.

Possibly the worst thing they did was that
    John Snow's dead/Ah no he's not
    crap. Have to say that really bugged me. But then
    'The Walking Dead' pulled that shite as well.

As I said, though, I have yet to see 8. So may over all appreciation of it may change once that happens.
    Certainly doesn't make me particularly enthused about what Weiss and Benioff will do with Star Wars... but hey, will give them the benefit of the doubt until the third film where they inevitably rush through major plot developments for a well foreshadowed and yet eerily unconvincing resolution :pac:

I am far, far, more enthused about them being involved in a Star Wars thing than Rian Johnson or JJ Abrams. ;)

Again, though, that may be subject to change once I've seen what they've done. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭tigger123

I read yesterday that this season of GOT had 30 odd million viewers per episode (not including illegal streams). So the 500k signatures on a childish petition is really of no significance.

With the interwebs, Twitter etc this kind of toxic fandom can find an audience of like minded individuals in a way that it couldn't do before. As a result, these vocal minorities are over represented, retweeted, discussed and written about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

That’s a bit extreme; there are plenty of examples of positive fandom online. It’s just the toxic fans and silly petitions are the ones that make headlines.

And reacting to audience feedback is by no means always a bad thing. The Sand Snakes were written out of GoT because they were an unpopular addition. Midichlorians were quietly dropped after being widely mocked when The Phantom Menace was released (it didn’t help the subsequent films much, but it was a start). I would say creators shouldn’t change the direction the work takes simply because of negative fan reaction, but they should be open to being persuaded by arguments from fans or critics that the direction they are taking is not good. Like nowadays a lot of issues with sexism or racism in a work are highlighted by fans online, in cases where the creator may not be conscious of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

That toxicity has appeared in everything I’m a fan of. And It’s the same thing all the time. Anti women, sjw, cuck, etc etc. Always the same script and attack.
    I wonder who these people are. And where. I do believe a lot of it is manufactured and coming from Russia. Demonstrably so in a lot of ways in the the case of Star Wars.
    You get someone like Rian Johnson who gets bombarded with abuse every single time he tweets or posts on his Instagram. Daisey Ridly being chased off social media with vitriolic abuse. Or the ongoing never ending complaining about that scene in Endgame.
    Then you look at beniof and weiss and see that they have zero social media presence at all. So I don’t think or buy into the idea that any writing was adjusted to address complaints. In either Star Wars or GOT. Not will it be listened to in future films or series. Why would they listen when fair criticism is completely dwarfed by the deafeningly vocal minority on things like twitter.
    The likes of the frankly disgusting comicsgate crowd.
    I want to believe it’s Russian trolls because if Complaining and hating everything has become a norm and the new zeitgeist, that’s such a depressing thought.

And it will turn off any creatives new or established, wanting to take part in any of the franchises etc we love. Why put up with all that backlash and abuse?
    It wouldn’t be worth it.

I hope it is a phase and I hope it passes soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

tigger123 wrote: »
    I read yesterday that this season of GOT had 30 odd million viewers per episode (not including illegal streams). So the 500k signatures on a childish petition is really of no significance.

With the interwebs, Twitter etc this kind of toxic fandom can find an audience of like minded individuals in a way that it couldn't do before. As a result, these vocal minorities are over represented, retweeted, discussed and written about.

The biggest whingers are usually the most vocal and loudest voices in all walks of life which convinces them that they represent the majority. Quite often the opposite is the reality and those who are content or enjoyed or like what they get just aren’t arsed getting into it.

I hate the part of myself that engages with these people as they are very often not interested in discussion/debate or even addressing any points that challenges their interpretation of a show/movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My problem is that people are far too quick to scream 'toxic fandom' and pointing to extreme examples of OTT reactions to seemingly paint away all criticism of given media.

Obviously I don't agree that Rian Johnson should be subjected to any kind of abuse. I do think there's plenty of reasonable, logical criticism of TLJ out there.

I don't think that S8 of GOT is 'terrible' but I do think it's deeply, deeply flawed like GOT never was before and rational criticism is entirely reasonable....and there's plenty of it.

This whole "people complain about everything these days" in response to valid, well documented and widespread criticism is an incredibly weak response.

Now, the thing is, I think Benioff and Weiss just desperately wanted to move onto new projects and sloppily rushed through GOT and kinda messed it up at the final hurdle.

However, they're perfectly capable writers when they chose to be (Benioff is a good author and both penned a perfectly decent S6 of GOT) so I'm not all that worried about Star Wars and wouldn't support having them removed from any project.

Johnson Benioff and weiss have the huge advantage of their new films being free of the ties to established canon.
    B&W asked for a specific period and it’s thousand(s) of years before apaprently?
    I hope they truly are interconnecting theirs with Johnson’s. Sets up a whole new era and canon free of all the ties. One of the podcasts have an insider that told them Johnson’s trilogy will be announced this year probably at that Disney conference D23. There are quite a few unnamed films that had dates on that Disney schedule that they released few weeks back.
    More excited for B&W’s. 8 series of incredible TV and people losing their minds about this last season. It’s gas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I've yet to hear a cogent set of arguments on why 'Game of Thrones' is so "bad" now. I haven't seen 8 yet, so it may be absolute shite. But this nerdy bollocks talk has been floating around for a while and it only stems from a binary RRM involved=good and RRM not involved=bad.

I completely disagree with this "nerdy bollocks" statement as season 8 has been ****e - just look at the IMDB ratings falloff for this season.

The writing has been terrible and it's obvious the creators have just rushed the conclusion of the show to move onto Star Wars. The pacing has accelerated 800% much to the detriment of the show.

The writing is terrible and characters are doing things that make no sense, just to get it over with. Doing things completely out of character and plenty of WTF moments.

You need to watch season 8 before you comment really.

They spend 7 seasons slowly building up a story and characters that they've now just completely shat on.

GoT remains one of the finest examples of modern TV - yes agreed, but they definitely lost their way when they diverged from the books and season 8 in particular has been a complete and utter **** show.

I can understand such a petition, haven't seen such a dramatic drop in quality on TV ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

My problem is that people are far too quick to scream 'toxic fandom' and pointing to extreme examples of OTT reactions to seemingly paint away all criticism of given media.

Obviously I don't agree that Rian Johnson should be subjected to any kind of abuse. I do think there's plenty of reasonable, logical criticism of TLJ out there.

I don't think that S8 of GOT is 'terrible' but I do think it's deeply, deeply flawed like GOT never was before and rational criticism is entirely reasonable....and there's plenty of it.

This whole "people complain about everything these days" in response to valid, well documented and widespread criticism is an incredibly weak response. .

For me it’s more a case of how people complain is pretty much standard across the board. You don’t like something you say it. No problem With that. But then sh*t is made up to try and somehow validate this opinion. And I have said it before, people seem to have a disconnect between what is actually reasonably possible for a character to do versus what/how they want their interpretation of a character to play out.

Not my luke, not my Dany is the obvious one. People using characters previous actions or motives as an example of how they wouldn’t change dramatically in a short or longer period of time. In both cases that’s an inaccurate representation of what can happen to people in extremely stressful circumstances or after traumatic events. These things can very rationally be explained and happen to these characters given the events that led them to change.

But the argument isn’t about real life , it reverts back to how the movie or show was originally portraying these characters or their development. It effectively boils down to “I didn’t like what they did with the character” which is not , objectively speaking, about the writing moreso the story arc chosen.

In the case of GOT they had to get characters from A-B quickly for reasons that are clear. Those who refuse to accept this was the option chosen keep harping on about how things are rushed which is fine but we all knew this season was going to have its limitations it needed a finish. As such you have to accept the limitations on the writers and factor this in when appraising what we got.

I don’t see much progressive chatter about SW or GOT, in many regards it’s
    Like football forums that’s all about sides backing each other up and people digging in on their views. I am aware I can be just as stubborn but generally I can learn if somebody makes a rational point that adds up when scrutinized. The Not my Luke/Dany arguments don’t add up when scrutinized logically when asking if people can take the paths they chose. Whether mythical or not, their characters changes were 100% plausible. It was simply that people didn’t like the choices made which boils down to the fact that you just you can’t please everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Drumpot wrote: »
    In the case of GOT they had to get characters from A-B quickly for reasons that are clear. Those who refuse to accept this was the option chosen keep harping on about how things are rushed which is fine but we all knew this season was going to have its limitations it needed a finish. As such you have to accept the limitations on the writers and factor this in when appraising what we got.

The problem with GoT was the limitations on the writers were self imposed - HBO wanted to give B&W the budget for extra season or 10 episodes and they selfishly squeezed it all into 6 episodes so they could move onto Star Wars.

They've seriously tainted what they had achieved and I don't think history will be kind to them.

I get entirely where you're coming from in some respects, but it's unfair to boil down criticism to very simple broadstrokes.

In the case of The Last Jedi, for example, I had serious issues with that movie - so serious that I had to go watch it a second time in the cinema before coming around to the fact that there's a lot of great stuff in there. I feel the same about GOT; if we take E05, there's genuinely a lot to like in there but I had to re-watch it the next day to allow myself appreciate it as initially I was so dismayed and disappointed by what I perceived to be bad (and still do, but it drowns out the good far less when you allow yourself to see the positive).

I never had much of a problem with the Luke arc in TLJ either; it wasn't perfect to me admittedly, but sometimes you just have to accept a creative vision as it's presented to you, whether or not you agree with it. No matter what the medium or what your expectations were. That's how I felt with Luke. Not where I'd have gone but it's where Rian Johnson went and I respect that.

However, it's markedly different when gripes are with say, dialogue and scripting rather than any over-arching narrative. Again for example, if someone says Johnson whacking Snoke in TLJ is the reason it's crap, that's not an entirely reasonable or well argued POV to me. However if they say their gripe is with scripting, character behaviors, inconsistency, or whatever, I find that reasonable and perfectly logical, whether I do or don't agree.

I have to say the vast majority of the criticism - or praise, to be equally fair - I read about things like TLJ or GOT is pretty valid (putting Twitter aside). There'll always be a minority on either side articulating completely OTT and irrationally aggressive opinions, and sometimes it's hard to ignore them, but it's incredibly dismaying when all valid opinion, good or bad, gets thrown out the window because of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That’s a bit extreme; there are plenty of examples of positive fandom online.

That's absolutely true: there are for sure plenty of properly enthusiastic, reasonable fans out there waving their flags with pride. So perhaps my use of 'largely' was a bit hyperbolic, but definitely feel there's 'a lot' of bad vibes and endless hostility in many of the high-profile online fan communities these days, even if it's just a minority shouting loudly. Kinda sucks the fun out of discussing a lot of these big hyper-franchise films.

I do stand by my belief that the filmmakers put in charge of these things should ideally pave their own path and tell the stories they want to tell, in the way they want to. As fan fiction as so consistently proven, most 'alternative versions' put forward online are pedestrian at best... and I won't go into the worst as this is a family website ;). Add to this the usual distortions about how many films are talked about these days - whether that's the insufferable 'Cinema Sins' style nitpicking or the weaponisation of identity politics by ideologues - and a lot of the complaints about what constitute 'bad storytelling' or 'a bad film' make me want to tear my hair out :P

There are for sure cases where constructive feedback can be taken on board to positive effect, and things tweaked accordingly. But storytelling shouldn't be crowd-sourced, as IMO that's a shortcut to blandness. And the ownership a few people feel over these corporate behemoths can get fairly ridiculous - we've all seen perfectly reasonably critics come under fire for daring to speak mild ill about some blockbuster or another.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'd always take something divisive but ambitious like The Last Jedi - which for me was a thrilling case study in letting a talented filmmaker exert their own vision over a tightly-controlled series - over the sort of vanilla, fan servicey likes of the Avengers films. Ultimately, we all have our own tastes and preferences, so I'm just speaking for myself - but as ever I think we'd all be better off if more online film discussion wasn't so drowned in negativity. That's not to say there should be no criticism, quite the opposite. It's more just an earnest wish for less of the nasty trench warfare over the mega-franchises!

Found it interesting that Endgame was test screened 6 different times and audience commentary (all Disney employees) were taken in board to tweak and sharpen the end result. They don’t test Star Wars with anyone.
    Definitely agree that taking direction from public in any sense is a terrible idea. No filmmaker or creative worth their salt ever should.
    But even then you simply cannot please everyone and the rampant complaint culture can make it hard to get to the valid interesting criticisms. They’re drowned out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's absolutely true: there are for sure plenty of properly enthusiastic, reasonable fans out there waving their flags with pride. So perhaps my use of 'largely' was a bit hyperbolic, but definitely feel there's 'a lot' of bad vibes and endless hostility in many of the high-profile fan communities these days. Kinda sucks the fun out of discussing a lot of these big hyper-franchise films.

The simple reason why the poisonous aspects of fandom are more visible is because "'de media" insists on reporting it for the sake of clickbait and manufactured controversy. Newspapers never went out of business printing "dog bites man", so it is that online publications have latched onto negativity in an otherwise positive, inclusive space. Just flick over to the Batman thread, where linked is one website desperately trying to create outrage by dint of (near) non-existent petitions against Robert Pattinson becoming the next Batman - presumably jumping on the back of the Game of Thrones equivalent (and that franchise is a different beast altogether, transcending geekery into a cult like obsession among "the normal")

Most Star Wars (or Trek, Dr. Who, uh, Babylon 5?) fans are enthusiastic, welcoming people; just go looking for cosplay for instance at the - now hundreds of - geek conventions across the globe and you'll see passionate, smiling people of all ages & genders expressing their love of the franchise.

The minority 'black stormtroopers', 'Mary Sue' bell-ends not only fills blogs, they also act as a convenient rollback to that cliché of the 'geek' being this angry, likely male loner raging against the world. Pop culture is normal now, it's OK to love SciFi openly but a smiling family dressed up like the Skywalkers doesn't conform to that lingering cliché - so the worst aspects are trotted out for us to gawp at.
    I do stand by my belief that the filmmakers put in charge of these things should ideally pave their own path and tell the stories they want to tell, in the way they want to. As fan fiction as so consistently proven, most 'alternative versions' put forward online are pedestrian at best... and I won't go into the worst as this is a family website ;). Add to this the usual distortions about how many films are talked about these days: whether that's the insufferable 'Cinema Sins' style nitpicking or the weaponisation of identity politics by ideologues, and a lot of the complaints about what constitute 'bad storytelling' or 'a bad film' make me want to tear my hair out :P

I take it you don't subscribe to the whole "Death of the Author" mentality, that at some point the 'author' no longer has cultural or emotional ownership of a property?
    I know I'm in the minority here, but I'd always take something divisive but ambitious like The Last Jedi - which for me was a thrilling case study in letting a talented filmmaker exert their own vision over a tightly-controlled series - over the sort of vanilla, fan servicey likes of the Avengers films.

Naw, I'm there with you, waving the Last Jedi flag in the face of others - I watched it again recently and it holds up for me. Brave, flawed and kinda insane that such a film could be made.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    The simple reason why the poisonous aspects of fandom are more visible is because "'de media" insists on reporting it for the sake of clickbait and manufactured controversy.

I think you're right to some degree - there's a lot of bad sites out there desperate for the clicks negativity brings. But it's beyond just 'the media' - we've probably all experienced the situation of clicking on some harmless video or other about The Last Jedi on YouTube and the site enthusiastically recommending some awful toxic ****e immediately afterwards. Add to that the vocal minority shouting on social media and it can be numbing at times.

If there's a sense the many positive aspects of fandom are drowned out, perhaps it's because a lot of that is done in dedicated spaces. I'm unlikely to end up at a comic or sci-fi convention or Dr Who subreddit, so perhaps don't get exposed to the really good vibes. In the general mush that is the Internet, I guess it's a bit easier to only see the unpleasant stuff!

But credit where credit is due: from the noise does emerge good. Some of the analyses I've read of Game of Thrones recently have been really thoughtful, probing reflections on long-form storytelling in the context of this particular show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There are nearly always legitimate flaws that can be found to support an argument that something is bad. However I would question whether those flaws are the real source of the outrage over some of these popular films/shows. In the case of TLJ and GOT I would say no. And that the real issue for most detractors is "this didn't match my head canon" and/or "this isn't what I wanted to happen for moral/political reasons". These can be legitimate subjective reasons for not liking something but that's not going to help you win an internet argument so naturally enough people prefer to point to objective flaws even if these flaws are fairly minor in the larger scheme of things.

Anyway I was never a huge GOT fan. A bit too stagey and soap opera-ish for my liking. But I still think B&W probably did as good as job with it as possible given the limitations of a tv show and the problems with the source material. As I see it GRRM lost the main narrative thread of the story in book 3, digging himself a hole that he has spent 18 years trying to get out of. B&W were never going to be able to fix that in the time that they had, but they finished the story which is more than I suspect Martin will ever do. I don't buy the claim that they rushed the final seasons because they wanted to go do SW. If anything I think what should have been the final season was split in half and dragged out over 3 years in typical HBO fashion. The show ran too long IMO. Should have been 5 seasons. And 5 books for that matter.

I'm not sure how they'll get on with SW and I'd question the wisdom of hiring two guys best known for adapting someone's else story/characters to create original story/characters.

And that the real issue for most detractors is "this didn't match my head canon" and/or "this isn't what I wanted to happen for moral/political reasons".

I would agree firstly that that is precisely the nature of a huge amount of the criticism over TLJ.

Not all of it granted; most of my own faults with the movie isn't linked to the core narrative, just some of the scripting behind it as well as some small creative choices.

But fundementally there are tonnes of perfectly valid criticisms of TLJ, many of which I've read here on boards in great detail - some I agreed with, others I didn't, but putting aside the OTT aggressive posts that swing either way, I respect a well argued opinion/interpretation.

GOT is different. The vast majority of people are OK with the plot, and where the plot is heading has been, broadly speaking, telegraphed since S1, so there's really no significant contingent of people unhappy with the plot....it's just how the writers are arriving at these points, and there's a lot of debate as to whether these pivotal moments are being earned or not.

The issue that's consistently being raised since E03 of S8 - whether you agree or not - is the lack of quality in the writing, and naturally this is going to be a talking point in a show known for his complexity, rich dialogue and attention to detail.

It's not limited to some sidelined, hardcore e-based fans either, the majority of critical reviews for E04 and E05 in particular are poor to lukewarm and echo a lot of the mainstream, reasoned criticism.

The problem for me is that in many places these days, huge swathes of entirely valid criticism is being dismissed as "angry entitled fans who aren't happy that they didn't get the vision they wanted" or "nitpickers desperate to find fault", "toxic fans", "complaining snowflake culture" among other phrases which seem to want to shut down all criticism.

It's impossible to lump criticism of both into the same bracket, as the fundemental reason people are unhappy with both are largely very distinct and seperate issues.
    I'm not sure how they'll get on with SW and I'd question the wisdom of hiring two guys best known for adapting someone's else story/characters to create original story/characters.

S5 and S6 of GOT are largely their own hand and they're very decent. Not as remotely as complex as seasons 1 through 4 admittedly, but being realistic Star Wars has never been an overly multi-layered production.

S7 was a little rushed though fundementally sound.

Wiess hasn't done much else but Benioff has also written an award-winning novel which by all accounts is rather excellent and I've heard other writers specifically mention it as a must-read.

I'm not sure what went on with GOT this last season, but being perfectly objective about it, I think they're well capable of crafting a very good original Star Wars tale entirely free from the shackles of Ep1-9.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

GOT is different. The vast majority of people are OK with the plot, and where the plot is heading has been, broadly speaking, telegraphed since S1, so there's really no significant contingent of people unhappy with the plot....it's just how the writers are arriving at these points, and there's a lot of debate as to whether these pivotal moments are being earned or not.

The issue that's consistently being raised since E03 of S8 - whether you agree or not - is the lack of quality in the writing, and naturally this is going to be a talking point in a show known for his complexity, rich dialogue and attention to detail.

It's not limited to some sidelined, hardcore e-based fans either, the majority of critical reviews for E04 and E05 in particular are poor to lukewarm and echo a lot of the mainstream, reasoned criticism.

The problem for me is that in many places these days, huge swathes of entirely valid criticism is being dismissed as "angry entitled fans who aren't happy that they didn't get the vision they wanted" or "nitpickers desperate to find fault", "toxic fans", "complaining snowflake culture" among other phrases which seem to want to shut down all criticism.

It's impossible to lump criticism of both into the same bracket, as the fundemental reason people are unhappy with both are largely very distinct and seperate issues.

I disagree. A great deal of the GOT outrage I am seeing online is very similar to the TLJ outrage, i.e. head canon or moral/political in nature. As with TLJ, most of them have quickly shifted to focusing on plot related issues and other things they can argue are objective faults but which in my view do not justify the outrage even if they are legitimate criticisms.

Well, first of all we do have distinguish between actual genuine reasoned criticism and outrage, the latter tending to be somewhat insufferable.

The vast majority of what I've observed is criticism, and the vast majority of that centers on the quality of writing and a perceived significant drop in quality.

Critic reviews echo those sentiments, too, so to dismiss it as all toxic noise or groundless outrage is not very fair at all, unless you believe that they've also got some alterior motive in expressing discontent to a level not seen with any previous season.

That's not an argument to try and say that it's terrible, bad, poor or even mediocre, more just an acknowledgment that there are issues there that deserve recognition as valid issues at the very least.

I would entirely say the negative backlash against The Last Jedi in comparison contained far more outrage as opposed to reasoned criticis.

Critics too saw it for what it is - a solid and occasionally uncharacteristically bold entry into the franchise.

Equally that's not to say there wasn't plenty of valid and understandable criticism, but a large amount of it was pure backlash based on creative choices more than anything else.

Again, I just don't think it's fair to broadly throw critics of both into the same sin bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'd always take something divisive but ambitious like The Last Jedi - which for me was a thrilling case study in letting a talented filmmaker exert their own vision over a tightly-controlled series - over the sort of vanilla, fan servicey likes of the Avengers films.

Yeah but Last Jedi was good though :P I actually do think in 10 or 20 years people will look back on it and wonder why there was any controversy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

I actually do think in 10 or 20 years people will look back on it and wonder why there was any controversy.

Never. Awful movie, story-wise.

That toxicity has appeared in everything I’m a fan of. And It’s the same thing all the time. Anti women, sjw, cuck, etc etc. Always the same script and attack.
    I wonder who these people are. And where. I do believe a lot of it is manufactured and coming from Russia. Demonstrably so in a lot of ways in the the case of Star Wars.
    You get someone like Rian Johnson who gets bombarded with abuse every single time he tweets or posts on his Instagram. Daisey Ridly being chased off social media with vitriolic abuse. Or the ongoing never ending complaining about that scene in Endgame.
    Then you look at beniof and weiss and see that they have zero social media presence at all. So I don’t think or buy into the idea that any writing was adjusted to address complaints. In either Star Wars or GOT. Not will it be listened to in future films or series. Why would they listen when fair criticism is completely dwarfed by the deafeningly vocal minority on things like twitter.
    The likes of the frankly disgusting comicsgate crowd.
    I want to believe it’s Russian trolls because if Complaining and hating everything has become a norm and the new zeitgeist, that’s such a depressing thought.

And it will turn off any creatives new or established, wanting to take part in any of the franchises etc we love. Why put up with all that backlash and abuse?
    It wouldn’t be worth it.

I hope it is a phase and I hope it passes soon.

It's not Russia.

It's America.

Drumpot wrote: »
    The biggest whingers are usually the most vocal and loudest voices in all walks of life which convinces them that they represent the majority. Quite often the opposite is the reality and those who are content or enjoyed or like what they get just aren’t arsed getting into it.

I hate the part of myself that engages with these people as they are very often not interested in discussion/debate or even addressing any points that challenges their interpretation of a show/movie.

The problem is not the "whingers", who are usually quite a small portion of the commentary. The problem is the people that hit the button on the clickbait gibberish looking to be offended or outraged.

Those clicks create a revenue stream and, subsequently, more clickbait articles and videos.

And the cycle begins again.

It also has the unfortunate knock on effect of drowning out legitimate criticism of a given item.

• Advertisement

I completely disagree with this "nerdy bollocks" statement as season 8 has been ****e - just look at the IMDB ratings falloff for this season.

It's been going on BEFORE S08 and can be traced roughly back to when the show passed out George R.R. Martin's books.

Advertisement