Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Addiction?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Black Swan wrote: »
    Main survey by mail. Followup sampling interviews. Z-score between.
    Any Internet use questions for 2020?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Fathom wrote: »
    Census Bureau attempts sample validation due to low returns.
    I thought census questionnaires had to be given back?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

mzungu wrote: »
    I thought census questionnaires had to be given back?
    Indeed, but not enforced.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Internet addiction Litmus test? Texting, vid surfing, or talking while sitting in public toilet?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Internet addiction Litmus test? Texting, vid surfing, or talking while sitting in public toilet?

IMO so many different areas it's hard to pin one down that could be used.

• Advertisement

Student texter walked into me today. Different areas...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Ubiquitous.

Internet addiction. Reiterates the myth of mental illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I definitely suffer from this. Only i don't miss it when i am away from it. I just can't get off it once im on.

I definitely suffer from this. Only i don't miss it when i am away from it. I just can't get off it once im on.
    Millennial generation cultural differences?

• Advertisement

No need to worry just yet! :) We don't know yet if internet addiction is a thing, the jury is still out. If I had to guess, I would say that it will be put under the general addictive behaviours category in future. In that it is not an addiction in itself, but rather the addictive behaviour is a sign that something else in amiss with the person.

No need to worry just yet! :) We don't know yet if internet addiction is a thing, the jury is still out. If I had to guess, I would say that it will be put under the general addictive behaviours category in future. In that it is not an addiction in itself, but rather the addictive behaviour is a sign that something else in amiss with the person.
    Where is the line drawn between addictive behavior and normal behavior during the technological wave of adoption and adaptation ongoing today? If a line exists, is it a moving target, as culture is?

Where is the line drawn between addictive behavior and normal behavior during the technological wave of adoption and adaptation ongoing today? If a line exists, is it a moving target, as culture is?

Internet Addiction Disorder (IAD) research reveals that "95.8% of 8- to 12-year-olds feel anxiety or depressed if wi-fi is turned off in their home or their access to tablets or mobile phones is restricted. This figure has been steadily increasing over the last few years where, despite awareness campaigns, the access to devices with internet availability is increasing among younger children and therefore their dependency level is increasing."

Link: https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/analysis/worrying-trends-in-the-effects-of-internet-use-among-primary-school-children-925847.html

I think 25 years ago if the Sega Megadrive was taken away similar levels of anxiety and depression might have been recorded. Nothing to do with the internet. Likewise, cancel the subscription to Sky Sports for the premiership and you would get the same thing.

I think 25 years ago if the Sega Megadrive was taken away similar levels of anxiety and depression might have been recorded. Nothing to do with the internet. Likewise, cancel the subscription to Sky Sports for the premiership and you would get the same thing.
    Years before, when the TV was withheld?

Years before, when the TV was withheld?

Exactly, the anxiety comes from the removal of the familiar source of entertainment.

Oddly, Internet college courses lag behind trend. Students enroll. Don't complete.

Oddly, Internet college courses lag behind trend. Students enroll. Don't complete.

I would be interested in the age profile there. Do drop out rates match bricks and mortar colleges etc?

I would be interested in the age profile there. Do drop out rates match bricks and mortar colleges etc?
    Controlling by age. Good point.

Controlling by age. Good point.

I think it would be interesting to compare the age of those that leave bricks and mortar colleges vs online. Demographics may change somewhat as I would imagine the former caters to a younger age group whereas the latter an older one.

I think it would be interesting to compare the age of those that leave bricks and mortar colleges vs online.
    Certainly worth a study. The free edX may have a worldwide dataset. Would they be interested in an evaluation study? Master or doctorate topic?
    Demographics may change somewhat as I would imagine the former caters to a younger age group whereas the latter an older one.
    Distance education has been a department in California Community Colleges. They would have the data for 110 different campuses. Once again a grand prospective study.

• Advertisement

2-degree related topics and data sets for Internet.

2-degree related topics and data sets for Internet.
    I wonder if anyone ever sees the potential in these Internet related research topics, and actually pursues one? Swannie continues to spin wheels.

Certainly worth a study. The free edX may have a worldwide dataset. Would they be interested in an evaluation study? Master or doctorate topic?

Distance education has been a department in California Community Colleges. They would have the data for 110 different campuses. Once again a grand prospective study.

Definitely worth a doctorate study, mainly because there could be financial benefits to the results. Find where the dropout demographics are, target more resources to that area thus making the system more efficient.

Definitely worth a doctorate study, mainly because there could be financial benefits to the results. Find where the dropout demographics are, target more resources to that area thus making the system more efficient.
    Across the pond this research topic would probably fall within an education college of a university. There may be funding. The RFPs start rolling out in the fall and winter over here. An Irish university grad student could be a part of a collaborative research team that spans the pond, and collect data for his/her degree. Then again, the Internet aspect could fall within computer science or demographics or social psychology departments. Perhaps others? Or a grad student could study Irish universities and distance ed.

Will search RFPs.

Will search RFPs.
    If you need help, give me a SHOUT.

If you need help, give me a SHOUT.
    Will do.

Across the pond this research topic would probably fall within an education college of a university. There may be funding. The RFPs start rolling out in the fall and winter over here. An Irish university grad student could be a part of a collaborative research team that spans the pond, and collect data for his/her degree. Then again, the Internet aspect could fall within computer science or demographics or social psychology departments. Perhaps others? Or a grad student could study Irish universities and distance ed.

You're right there. That kind of study would fit neatly into a good few different disciplines. I suppose, from the above, social psychology would be the one I would be thinking of. It is subjective though, so others could pick differently and they would not be wrong at all.

I suppose, from the above, social psychology would be the one I would be thinking of. It is subjective though, so others could pick differently and they would not be wrong at all.
    Type of research? Survey?

• Advertisement

Type of research? Survey?

That would certainly be a way to be able to reach a large number of respondents. However, I think if this was also backed up with interviews then it would provide the best of both worlds.

Advertisement