Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster vs Munster - The buildup for the ages!

• 12-05-2019 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Have at it.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

This will be rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Munster will be just glad to be there and sure we'll see what happens. No expectations of anything really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Yes, a day out for Munster fans, hang sangiches and bottles of cold tae at the ready... we're just blessed to be there amongst the rugby gods of Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Erik Shun wrote:
    Yes, a day out for Munster fans, hang sangiches and bottles of cold tae at the ready... we're just blessed to be there amongst the rugby gods of Leinster

Don't forget your autograph book.

Buer wrote: »

Ooh...good man, I'll use my 1989 Rose of Tralee autograph book with Sinead Boyle's taking pride of place... until of course.... I get Bobby K's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Wouldn’t be surprised if Leinster make a few changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Wouldn’t be surprised if Leinster make a few changes.

Would be good for Munster to get a look at the next batch of Leinster youth they'll be poaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Could see it going the same way as yesterday’s match, Leinster have the edge. Munster were terrible against Treviso, huge improvement required.
    Might just be me, but these games are the grudge games they used to be. In a WC year, I’d be more concerned with a major injury to a key player.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,830 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Munster cheated their way to this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Buer wrote: »
    Erik Shun wrote:

A few of us will make ourselves available before and after for them. It's the least we can do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I think we could potentially see a strong Leinster team, a lot of the player will want to make amend for the loss yesterday....

Most of the first team haven't a whole pile of rugby in last few months and they will have a few months off so might as well go full metal jacket.

Cronin won't be available. I doubt SOB will be fit but I bet he will try and make it for his last ever home game.

Maybe give J McGrath a start before he goes as well......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

Bit of a sad baiting thread title bit like https://rugbylad.ie/

Re 'Most of the first team haven't a whole pile of rugby in last few months and they will have a few months off so might as well go full metal jacket '

that's why they lost yesterday , and it might be too late to go up against munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

I don't think anyone here would dispute that Munster are really struggling lately. By contrast, Leinster are so far ahead, even with the defeat yesterday.

One of two things will happen:

A) Leinster are really hurting. Physically and mentally and perhaps an injury or two. Munster smell weakness and push really hard. They're desperate for silverware.

B) Leinster are so ****ing furious and full of hateful rage that they absolute fist Munster by 20 points or more.

Jewelers wrote: »
    Bit of a sad baiting thread title bit like https://rugbylad.ie/

Re 'Most of the first team haven't a whole pile of rugby in last few months and they will have a few months off so might as well go full metal jacket '

that's why they lost yesterday , and it might be too late to go up against munster.

What? :confused:

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What? :confused:

what part are you having a :confused: about

Clegg wrote: »
    Would be good for Munster to get a look at the next batch of Leinster youth they'll be poaching.

nz youth , who else are you yabbering on about you all hate Beirne

Jewelers wrote: »
    what part are you having a :confused: about

All of it to be honest, why you linking to rugbylad? Did you mean to link to a specific article?

Not sure also what you mean by that’s why they lost yesterday?

All of it to be honest, why you linking to rugbylad? Did you mean to link to a specific article?

Not sure also what you mean by that’s why they lost yesterday?

sorry have you on ig :)

Please don't post links from that garbage clickbait site.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

molloyjh wrote: »
    A few of us will make ourselves available before and after for them. It's the least we can do.

Bring your Cup Final ticket. Let the new generation of Munster fans see what they are like 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    molloyjh wrote: »

Bring your Cup Final ticket. Let the new generation of Munster fans see what they are like 😂

I'll do one better and bring my programme. Show them what a printed programme looks like. Back when they were in finals they were still handwritten in Latin on vellum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Can't wait to finally activate our sleeper agents that've been strategically placed into the Munster side.

Still can't believe that those turnip munchers honestly thought that people would voluntarily leave the leafy suburbs of D4 to go live so far away from real civilisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Put Wycherley man marking Sexton and we'll be grand.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think this is purely going to depend on how quickly Leinster can recover mentally and physically. A few of Leinster's key players had hugely demanding games physically. Ryan and Conan put in big shifts on both sides of the ball, playing 80 minutes. Their bodies will be sore but luckily they're young enough where their bodies are going to bounce back.

I'd be more concerned with guys like Healy, Fardy, Toner and Sexton. I could see 2 or 3 of those lads being rotated out which makes sense. Ruddock to come into the back row and Toner or Fardy moving to the bench makes sense. If JGP is available, there's a real case for rotating him into the 23 also. Luke McGrath was absolutely dead on his feet for the final 15 minutes at the weekend. If JGP isn't available, we're looking at McGrath playing 80 minutes back to back.

Munster will have been waiting in the long grass for this one. Treviso will have been a good kick in the arse for them and they won't be lacking for physicality on the day, looking to twist the knife against some tired bodies. If Leinster can bring some quality defence, I think they'll win it by a score. Munster's ability to break down teams is still poor and that cannot change overnight. A lot will depend on the availability of Earls who always shows up for this fixture. Carbery will be an obvious boost too. But up front, they'll look to really put a stamp on the game knowing Leinster will be slightly the worse for wear in comparison to a side that has had 2 weeks off.

Kearney, Lowe, Ringrose, Henshaw, Larmour, Byrne, McGrath, Conan, SOB, Ruddock, Toner, Ryan, Furlong, Tracy, Healy.
    Cronin/Byrne, Byrne, Porter, Fardy, Deegan, HOS, Sexton/Frawley, ROL

Leinster by 4.

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Put Wycherley man marking Sexton and we'll be grand.

Sexton will just give him another clip around the ear ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

My prediction for the Munster selection:

1 David Kilcoyne
    2 Niall Scannell
    3 John Ryan
    4 Jean Kleyn
    5 Tadhg Beirne
    6 Peter O'Mahony (c)
    7 Chris Cloete
    8 CJ Stander
    9 Conor Murray
    10 J. J. Hanrahan
    11 Keith Earls
    12 Rory Scannell
    13 Chris Farrell
    14 Andrew Conway
    15 Michael Haley

16 Kevin O'Byrne
    17 Liam O'Connor
    18 Stephen Archer
    19 Billy Holland
    20 Arno Botha
    21 Alby Mathewson
    22 Tyler Bleyendaal
    23 Darren Sweetnam

24th man Jack O'Donoghue
    25th man Dan Goggin

My prediction for the Munster selection:

1 David Kilcoyne
    2 Niall Scannell
    3 John Ryan
    4 Jean Kleyn
    5 Tadhg Beirne
    6 Peter O'Mahony (c)
    7 Chris Cloete
    8 CJ Stander
    9 Conor Murray
    10 J. J. Hanrahan
    11 Keith Earls
    12 Rory Scannell
    13 Chris Farrell
    14 Andrew Conway
    15 Michael Haley

16 Kevin O'Byrne
    17 Liam O'Connor
    18 Stephen Archer
    19 Billy Holland
    20 Arno Botha
    21 Alby Mathewson
    22 Tyler Bleyendaal
    23 Darren Sweetnam

24th man Jack O'Donoghue
    25th man Dan Goggin

Carbery is back in full training this week so I'd expect him to feature. Same for Rhys Marshall. Carbery was at the press preview today.

I wonder if centre needs to be looked at. Goggin has done well off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Carbery is back in full training this week so I'd expect him to feature. Same for Rhys Marshall. Carbery was at the press preview today.

I wonder if centre needs to be looked at. Goggin has done well off the bench.

Yeah, I guess I was doubting that Carbery and Marshall would recover in time, from the announced squad update today it looks promising to have them back.

I certainly think Goggin has done enough to start at 12 ahead of Scannell It's just my opinion, but it seems to me that Scannell is carrying the ball into contact far too much and rarely getting any gains.
    Goggin should be stronger in contact and looks hungry to get on the ball.
    Otherwise they should be using Scannell to chip and grubber the ball behind the defensive line more often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

How long has Carbery left on his contract with Munster? Did he sign an extension recently? I assume it will run out to coincide with Sexton's retirement.

How long has Carbery left on his contract with Munster? Did he sign an extension recently? I assume it will run out to coincide with Sexton's retirement.

No, he's here for a few more years, 2022 ... Sexton will be retired by then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

VdF is the bionic man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Clegg wrote: »
    VdF is the bionic man.

I know Leinster will want him playing and He'll want to get on the pitch but the medical staff would want to be really very extra sure he's ok before i'd send him into this game.
    For all the talk about the bite being gone from the interpros i can't see this game being like anything other than a Marvel fight scene.
    For that matter can the thread name be changed to "Leinster v Munster: We're in the endgame now"

Sexton said he would retire after next Lions tour in 2021

Carberry signed up till 2022.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Now sold out - incl temporary seating

• Advertisement

Sexton said he would retire after next Lions tour in 2021

Carberry signed up till 2022.

Did he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Did he?

Made indications he would....

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/lions-tour/youre-just-one-injury-away-thats-the-scary-part-about-being-a-rugby-player-johnny-sexton-sets-an-ideal-retirement-date-36970433.html

Sorry he didn't exactly some out and say it, it was at something else he said he wanted to make the Lions tour as well

Made indications he would....

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/lions-tour/youre-just-one-injury-away-thats-the-scary-part-about-being-a-rugby-player-johnny-sexton-sets-an-ideal-retirement-date-36970433.html

Sorry he didn't exactly some out and say it, it was at something else he said he wanted to make the Lions tour as well

Realistically, he'll be 34 before the world cup...the lion's tour is 2 years after that.... there's no guarantee he'll be first choice for Ireland then, let alone a Lion's contender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Mike Adamson appointed as referee for the game.

First SRU match official to take charge of knock-out game since they were re-introduced to the Championship in 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

IMHO Leinster should (sensibly) ring the changes. I don't see the same starting XV from the weekend backing up against what will be a highly motivated Munster side. The lads who didn't make the 15/23 will be chomping at the bit. Obviously, you can't put out a B side, but there are some players who could slot in for sure without really weakening things too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

swiwi_ wrote: »
    IMHO Leinster should (sensibly) ring the changes. I don't see the same starting XV from the weekend backing up against what will be a highly motivated Munster side. The lads who didn't make the 15/23 will be chomping at the bit. Obviously, you can't put out a B side, but there are some players who could slot in for sure without really weakening things too much.

I'd expect some changes probably Byrne for Sexton, Ruddock for Fardy with Kearney coming onto the bench, VDF for SOB. Gibson Park for O'Sullivan on the bench with Frawley covering 10.

I would expect the 15 that went on the pitch last week will be chomping at the bit to correct the errors they made last week....

This is potentially their last game of any significants till the World Cup if they lose....I can't see many of them wanting to sit this one out....They need to be capable of playing a Qtr and then a WC semi in a short period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Maybe 12/15 or thereabouts will start. The first string should and will start (for the most part).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I'd like to see Goggin get the start. Every bloody pundit rolls out "educated left peg" when talking about scannell. Yeah educated at kicking a ball out on the full!
    Goggin is actually the bigger man and I'd say his kicking game is actually better and his passing game. Scannell is probably the better defender though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,720 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The Leinster team have had huge amounts of rest since the 6n. No reason they can't play 2 big matches in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I’d expect very few changes to the starting 15. Lowe might drop out if JGP is fit, possibly with Luke moving to the bench. Ruddock might start with Fardy dropping to the bench. If Sexton isn’t injured there’s no way he’s not starting a semifinal. Kearney took a bad knock at the end of the game on Saturday and was down for a long time, so he could be a doubt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'd like to see Goggin get the start. Every bloody pundit rolls out "educated left peg" when talking about scannell. Yeah educated at kicking a ball out on the full!
    Goggin is actually the bigger man and I'd say his kicking game is actually better and his passing game. Scannell is probably the better defender though.

I'd be a fan of Goggin, but honestly don't think his kicking game is anywhere near as good as Scannell's. He's had a great season tho, I'd have no issues with him starting, but I expect we'll see him in the 23 jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

stephen_n wrote: »
    I’d expect very few changes to the starting 15. Lowe might drop out if JGP is fit, possibly with Luke moving to the bench. Ruddock might start with Fardy dropping to the bench. If Sexton isn’t injured there’s no way he’s not starting a semifinal. Kearney took a bad knock at the end of the game on Saturday and was down for a long time, so he could be a doubt.

Ross Byrne will have to start this game. After not getting on the pitch last week, to be on the sidelines again for a big game you wouldnt be surprised if he looked at pastures new

For some context, here were the lineups from last season. I think Henshaw and Sexton didn't play against Munster due to injury?

Leinster vs Racing:
    15. Rob Kearney (195)
    14. Jordan Larmour (19)
    13. Garry Ringrose (47)
    12. Robbie Henshaw (23)
    11. Isa Nacewa (182) CAPTAIN
    10. Johnny Sexton (146)
    9. Luke McGrath (92)

1. Cian Healy (188)
    2. Seán Cronin (150)
    3. Tadhg Furlong (81)
    4. Devin Toner (215)