Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Local Elections 2019

• 04-05-2019 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Quick question - any idea where I would find a final list of candidates for LE 19?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Council websites, council per council and not all of them give a toss about it.

Anything else is going to be error prone.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭RainNeverBow

How will this election go anyway? Any predictions?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

We've decent proportionality with relatively large areas; although not as good as last time (some split municipal districts in to to two areas - realistically to try reduce the number of Independents) - so it'll be extremely close to the polling figures basically.

The main points of interest for me will be in whether there is a reduction in the number of Indepdendents and a respective return to the established parties; and also whether Aontu can even hold on to their existing 7.

There's a poster on politics.ie who is convinced that AAA-PBP have been so careful in selecting seats that every single candidate will get elected. That's not going to happen - but it'll be interesting to see who they do return; polling can be quite useless at the low end so it could be anywhere from embarrassing to quite a good day for them

The performance of smaller party candidates will heavily influence decisions on how many candidates to run in a GE for everyone, including the big parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The closing date is the 7th of May so there might be changes before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nominations actually closed yesterday and the Councils have the lists on their websites now.

The 7th is the date by which nominees can decide to withdraw and not appear on the ballot, if they withdraw after that date, the ballot will be gone to print and they will still appear on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's usually a question of who will get punished. In that regard it could be a quiet election. Most of the parties seem to be in holding mode. Independents and smaller parties might suffer.
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The closing date is the 7th of May so there might be changes before then.

Here's a partial list. By the looks of it, it will have all of them in due course.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2019/0505/1047645-local-elections/

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭donalh087

Nothing on the Cork Co Co website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,471 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Adrian Kavanagh has been keeping track of all of these. He has it ordered by party so you might need to do a bit of searching around to get the full picture for any one ward:

https://adriankavanaghelections.org/author/adriankavanagh/

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭donalh087

Thanks BS. I have seen Adrians work - I know the main party candidates and he has already missed one or two of the minor ones so my confidence is not absolute. I was hoping for an official definitive list.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Is there any decent write up on the incumbents seeking re-election and their policies as well as council voting records? Same for first time candidates would be useful in helping people make an informed choice.

• Advertisement

Just realised Gary Gannon isn't running for the council. He won't get the Euro seat; so that's anywhere from a few months to years in the wilderness for him - presume he'll run in the GE.

He's actually just moved MDs, confusingly. Should be safe enough in the new one

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

L1011 wrote: »
    He's actually just moved MDs, confusingly. Should be safe enough in the new one
    Isn't he doing both?

He's doing the Cabra Glasnevin MD and Europe. He was North Inner City and that's where I was looking

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭RainNeverBow

Normally I hate that **** of dual running but with the purgatory of the fourth seat because of Brexit it makes a lot of sense to me. Can't expect someone who is elected but not getting paid to do nothing imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

donalh087 wrote: »
    Quick question - any idea where I would find a final list of candidates for LE 19?
    https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2019/0505/1047645-local-elections/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

L1011 wrote: »
    He's doing the Cabra Glasnevin MD and Europe. He was North Inner City and that's where I was looking

7 Seats, 18 Candidates most incumbents from the old boundaries should be safe.

That one ill be keeping an eye on as my local election donkey pick is in there.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Is there anywhere that I can find the candidates stance on certain issues? I seem to recall a website that listed all the candidates and a tick or an x under certain topical headings but no idea what that website was called.

I've gleaned a bit of information from different articles and news sources but a bit more of an overview of their politics would be really helpful.

Such a site would be effectively impossible to curate - you likely saw a European or possibly a last General Election site; both of which have a fraction of the candidates.

Many local candidates (including sitting Councillors) have absolutely zero profile online and outside of their local area so you'd have trouble even getting their details to contact the non-sitting ones (except by post) to ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

As far as I can tell most local candidates don't really have any stances on anything. Even their own election literature just has bland clichés like "fighting for you", "the right experience for the job", "working for the community", "getting the job done" etc.
    There might be a few vague promises like "fight cuts to local services" and "help support rural Ireland" but that's as far as it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

As far as I can tell most local candidates don't really have any stances on anything. Even their own election literature just has bland clichés like "fighting for you", "the right experience for the job", "working for the community", "getting the job done" etc.
    There might be a few vague promises like "fight cuts to local services" and "help support rural Ireland" but that's as far as it goes.

Fighting for themselves. Promoting their business. Advancing their careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

To be fair, the councillor's priority is not to be an ideologue but to make sure the needs of constituents are covered. In an election, it is best to look at what the party stands for and against, or in the case of independents to look at their public profiles. If you can't find any clear information on a candidate's stance on something, it's likely that this isn't very important to them. The best thing to do is directly ask the candidate an ope ended question which is in no way a leading question, then see how they answer it, and if it is in any way articulate. Generic 'fighting cuts' or 'support rural Ireland' promises are pointless, you need to ask for some substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Bit of a side note but why on earth do the local councils need people to fill out a handwritten form and bring to a Garda station to change address for their voting card?
    Surely this could be done like any other normal company like mobile phone providers, fill in your address online and upload a utility bill as proof?

Bit of a side note but why on earth do the local councils need people to fill out a handwritten form and bring to a Garda station to change address for their voting card?
    Surely this could be done like any other normal company like mobile phone providers, fill in your address online and upload a utility bill as proof?

Ahh but you see if you know a politician they can get your name on there no hassle. No gardai checking your forms or any of that nonsense. Just as long as you vote for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

theres so many special interest groups these days that they want to avoid becoming targets. Having opinions is the worst thing to do in the social media politics age.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Ahh but you see if you know a politician they can get your name on there no hassle. No gardai checking your forms or any of that nonsense. Just as long as you vote for them.

That's not quite answering my question about the logic behind this beurocracy, paperwork, postage which is avoidable in this age of the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

There's a pilot scheme in Dublin where this is all being done online, I would imagine it'll be rolled out in the coming months across the country.

That's not quite answering my question about the logic behind this beurocracy, paperwork, postage which is avoidable in this age of the internet.

It's only there for people voting the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

possibly spotty but https://candidates.ie/

• Advertisement

possibly spotty but https://candidates.ie/

Not "possibly" spotty, "uselessly" spotty.

Has only the FF candidates in my MD, just the SocDem in one neighbouring and just the Green in another.

You have to pay to write anything beyond your social media accounts so realistically its no better than a local newspaper list.

Advertisement