Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Local Elections 2019

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

awec wrote: »
    Wouldn't doubt it, but I'd say it's an awful kick in the teeth to realise that even when votes do drift away from the traditional parties that you're still not seen as a worthwhile group.

I agree. I'm a little disappointed my own party of choice hasnt been received as well as I thought they would. I believe politics begin at local levels and we will now see how this plays out. The greens will fold under any pressure if their ideas are tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭bren2001

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Do SF really not work with others on the tally work?

I ran the FF tally in the last GE for one of the constituencies (I dont vote FF). Ourselves, labour and FG had staff to run the count along with one other party but I can't remember who. I supplied all the independents with our figures. SF sat at the end of the table running their own tally count. It was strange because they had to have staff at every box. We didn't as we shared tally people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

ForestFire wrote: »
    Tell me, can the homes that are in most need of upgraded insulation avail of these grants realistically?

In most cases you need significant money yourself, as the grants only cover part of the work.

So we have a aystem where the poor are taxed with the rest of us to subsidise peope who have money to make their home better.

Tell me, how is a 5k grant on a luxury vehicle benifit the average person?
    Do you think all these rich people, who buy these cars, would not do it without the grant?
    Will the sale of luxury cars save the planet, because I can tell you, before electric vehicles become affordable to all, the grants will be gone, and the free charging yeah only the few elite early adapters will get that also from our taxes.

Our carbon taxes currely are Subsidising the rich only and not an effective way to really target emissions reduction.
    Most people in the real world save money and upgrade their own houses
    If there's a grant then it incentivises this

Same with cars.
    For electric cars to be affordable and viable there needs to be huge investment in charging points in public car parks and elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

twinytwo wrote: »
    Really?

Children's hospital?
    Broadband?
    Guards?
    Housing?
    And so on...

Couldnt organise a bar fight not to mind run a country.

What's the alternative to FG. Corrupt FF who should no longer exist after what they did to this country back in 2008 or the loony left and SF who are not really a nationalist party as they seem to prefer globalism now. It's really a sad state of affairs especially looking at the rest of Europe waking up and we are still asleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Most people in the real world save money and upgrade their own houses
    If there's a grant then it incentivises this

Same with cars.
    For electric cars to be affordable and viable there needs to be huge investment in charging points in public car parks and elsewhere

I'm sorry, how does 5k off a Tesla help upgrade the charging network.... It doesn't, and that's my point, don't give the rich the 5k for their Tesla's and instead spend in on the network that is compatible with cars other than Tesla.

If you want to subsidise an electric car it should be a family car, not a performance car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

bren2001 wrote: »
    I ran the FF tally in the last GE for one of the constituencies (I dont vote FF). Ourselves, labour and FG had staff to run the count along with one other party but I can't remember who. I supplied all the independents with our figures. SF sat at the end of the table running their own tally count. It was strange because they had to have staff at every box. We didn't as we shared tally people.

Thanks for the insight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Fianna Fail seem to be cleaning up in the locals so far sadly.

McIlvanny the Monaghan councillor from Prime Time probably got re elected

Unfúckingbelievable if he will be. Only 2 of the 5 seats in his LEA (Local Electoral Area) of Ballybay-Clones are filled so far. According to the RTÉ website Ballybay-Clones actually lost a seat, from 6 to 5. So if he still manages to be re-elected it will make Ballybay-Clones the Monaghan version of those troglodyte nether regions of Tipperary that elect Lowry.

Years before that infamous sting in 2015, the very same Hugh McElvanney was a serious contender for most dodgy local politician in Ireland. The people who elect him in Ballybay-Clones know precisely what they are voting for. Precisely.

Hugh McElvanney on Shannonside Radio after the 2015 sting saying 'I was cuter than them (RTÉ & Fine Gael) and I lured them into their trap'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,069 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Unfúckingbelievable if he will be. Only 2 of the 5 seats in his LEA (Local Electoral Area) of Ballybay-Clones are filled so far. According to the RTÉ website Ballybay-Clones actually lost a seat, from 6 to 5. So if he still manages to be re-elected it will make Ballybay-Clones the Monaghan version of those troglodyte nether regions of Tipperary that elect Lowry.

Years before that infamous sting in 2015, the very same Hugh McElvanney was a serious contender for most dodgy local politician in Ireland. The people who elect him in Ballybay-Clones know precisely what they are voting for. Precisely.

Hugh McElvanney on Shannonside Radio after the 2015 sting saying 'I was cuter than them (RTÉ & Fine Gael) and I lured them into their trap'

He's the archetypal 'didn't he fix the road' poltician. There are people here who genuinely believe RTE were out to get him. :)
    He's home and hosed looking at the figures here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Tell me, can the homes that are in most need of upgraded insulation avail of these grants realistically?

In most cases you need significant money yourself, as the grants only cover part of the work.

So we have a aystem where the poor are taxed with the rest of us to subsidise peope who have money to make their home better.

Tell me, how is a 5k grant on a luxury vehicle benifit the average person?
    Do you think all these rich people, who buy these cars, would not do it without the grant?
    Will the sale of luxury cars save the planet, because I can tell you, before electric vehicles become affordable to all, the grants will be gone, and the free charging yeah only the few elite early adapters will get that also from our taxes.

Our carbon taxes currely are Subsidising the rich only and not an effective way to really target emissions reduction.

The poor aren't taxed with the rest of us, they don't pay income tax. However, that is off-topic.

The thing is, if we don't incentivise insulation, electric cars etc. then there won't be anywhere for anyone to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭piplip87

Some thoughts on today's results:

1)Collapse of SF:

People are working again and seeing through the "free stuff for all" mandate that SF and the left have been pushing. There's massive inequality in Irish Society. We have those who get nothing but pay for everything and those who get everything and pay for nothing. Unfortunately for SF those that pay for nothing stayed at home and didn't bother voting.

In my local area the SF candidate who topped the poll last time will struggle to get in. They ran another candidate plus the Aontu candidate took about 500 first preference votes. Where other parties had open discussions and freedom of conscience about the 8th SF expelled people and they took large numbers with them. While I'm pro choice this hard-line stance didn't do them any favours in rural Ireland....

Interesting in an exit poll I seem it's SF voters who are far more concerned about immigration than the other parties yet they are fairly in favour of welcoming refugees and migrants.

2) Green Wave

Climate change is a massive issue. The recent protests have highlighted this. They have a position now to start the conversation about this but my concerns are they are a very middle class party and taxing rural Ireland to the hilt will not work.

I'm very interested in what way they go but if they do well in the GE I'd expect a coalition with FG after the next election.

FF & FG

Low turnout was always going to help them. For local issues they are tried and tested in delivering because they are always in government.

Will be interesting times ahead. I'd expect the environment will form a major part of the run up to the next election.

The greens will fold under any pressure if their ideas are tested.

You mean Ireland is still the dark environmentally benighted hole it was in the early 90s and that all those crazy Scandinavian innovations like recycling, more cycle lanes, reducing emissions, electric cars, ethics in politics legislation, etc etc never happened?

If even 25% of the GP ideas are progressive, that's an improvement of 25% on what the creatively challenged dullards of FG/FF/Labour/SF are offering. The best thing that has happened Irish politics since the Easter Rising is that we have more people now looking to more progressive European countries for inspiration and looking less at the environmentally disastrous greed-at-all-costs Anglo-American model. Ireland needs more political parties which are intellectually open to looking at enlightened European societies for ideas about every aspect of our society, from childcare costs (which are an outrage compared to the norm in continental Europe) to protecting our heritage.

The Green Party's default comparison countries are Scandinavian/European, and this emphasis makes it intellectually and culturally unique in Ireland. The Green Party is, as it was 30 years ago, a complete breath of fresh air in Irish politics where the entire myopic mentality can be summed up as "Let's never do anything until after the Brits have tested it". Long may it stand out by opening Irish minds to kinder and more enlightened ways of running our society.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,531 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Fianna Fail seem to be cleaning up in the locals so far sadly.

Today's story is about the Green surge but it looks like tomorrow's will be more focused on Fianna Fáil as the bulk of the seats actually start to be filled.

It looks like they will be comfortably the biggest party with some big gains in Dublin. Disastrous for both Fine Gael and Sinn Féin in the capital. Sinn Féin are battling to hold a seat in Mary Lou's own electoral area. Fine Gael vote also way down in the Taoiseach's electoral area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,581 ✭✭✭✭L1011

North East Kildare so far is looking to have a bonfire of the Independents. Brendan Young gone unless a recount is called and changes the result; Anthony Larkin almost certainly gone and Teresa Murray in severe trouble and dependant on SF transfers from an excluded candidate who implied plumping as "the only left wing candidate" (for her idea of left wing - as she had Labour, Green and centre left independents against her)

Young and Murray would have been seen as safe by most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Sarah Lipsett only got 41 first preference votes. This makes me happy, given that her answers in the Dublin Inquirer survey were to give tax breaks to landlords (from her seat on Dublin City Council).
    https://twitter.com/McStrolly/status/1132226872325148672

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Will a Green surge mean we will be seeing and hearing more of the insufferable Eamon Ryan again ?
    ����

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Fine Gael vote also way down in the Taoiseach's electoral area.

Is it?

Just checked the Castleknock ward, which is where the Taoiseach is from (boundaries have changed, but that is still the ward he grew up in), and by my calculation they have gone from 19% to 27%? Will have two councillors elected, same as last time.

Disastrous for both Fine Gael and Sinn Féin in the capital. Sinn Féin are battling to hold a seat in Mary Lou's own electoral area. Fine Gael vote also way down in the Taoiseach's electoral area.

Both of them thoroughly deserve a hammering, given that one is the government of this state presiding over the housing crisis, and the other has for years been the largest party on Dublin City Council and thus the party with most responsibility for the crisis continuing. This 2015 change to apartment sizes, in particular, turned me against them. While I'd expect the Blueshirts to do that, Sinn Féin exposed themselves as rank hypocrites. As they say, if you want to discredit the opposition put them into power and let them discredit themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,581 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sheeps wrote: »
    Sarah Lipsett only got 41 first preference votes. This makes me happy, given that her answers in the Dublin Inquirer survey were to give tax breaks to landlords (from her seat on Dublin City Council).
    https://twitter.com/McStrolly/status/1132226872325148672

#insta #sibling #fail

Paddy Holohan has shown the conversion from real life other fame can work, but family of 'net famous clearly is not enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Castleknock LEA with 6 seats for 11 candidates

Pembroke LEA with 5 seats for 9 candidates

Either we have too many councilors or not enough candidates.

Something not right about this :/ Might be time for a merger or boundary redrawing next time.

Newbridge has 15 candidates for 6 seats. A brutal battle to win your seat, how it should be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,525 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Greens will fail miserably once again. They have no cohesive plan and we will now see this.

Middle class urbanite party, probably feeding off extinction rebellion chung wans getting their first polling card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Inquitus wrote: »
    Is that in reference to the Wicklow exit poll, or the national exit poll? Seems the exit poll is way off if the former.
    That's a full local tally. National poll is only really useful for big parties. Local issues, personal support etc. can skew numbers a lot for very small ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

L1011 wrote: »
    It also looks like the ex-FG Kevin Callan could do the same in both Drogheda LEAs!
    Callan is only registered in Drogheda Urban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sheeps wrote: »
    I wonder would that 41 number correspond to the number of residents in the family nursing home, perhaps?

blanch152 wrote: »
    The poor aren't taxed with the rest of us, they don't pay income tax. However, that is off-topic.
    Though they do pay lots of VAT and excise taxes, as a proportion of their income, though that is off-topic too.

I'm sorry, how does 5k off a Tesla help upgrade the charging network.... It doesn't, and that's my point, don't give the rich the 5k for their Tesla's and instead spend in on the network that is compatible with cars other than Tesla.

If you want to subsidise an electric car it should be a family car, not a performance car.
    If you want to subsidise an electric car, it should be a bus, or a tram, or a metro or maybe an electric bike or scooter. EVs are not the solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Who said" they're all corrupt and brown envelopes" ?
    Who are you quoting?

That's why I specifically mentioned the three and only the three. I asked about any news about them. Heard that they all looked like being elected. Gave out that they were re-elected. Didn't mention anyone else.

Outrage bot.
    Others put out exactly that claim in related discussions;

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110267401&postcount=69

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Greens will fail miserably once again. They have no cohesive plan and we will now see this.

Middle class urbanite party, probably feeding off extinction rebellion chung wans getting their first polling card.

Saoirse McHugh doesn't even have her seat confirmed and she's already making a balls of things. Yesterday she made headlines by saying she would quit the party if they went into a coalition government.

Came across as very naive this morning on Radio 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Saoirse McHugh doesn't even have her seat confirmed and she's already making a balls of things. Yesterday she made headlines by saying she would quit the party if they went into a coalition government.

Just listening to her now. Sounds like someone who ran without believing she’d win a seat and completely unprepared for that outcome.
    Best of luck to her though

Just listened to her and Peter Casey on RTE there. Awful stuff...ended with Peter telling her...'Sorshea (his pronunciation), don't drink plastic bottles, it's a start'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Just listened to her and Peter Casey on RTE there. Awful stuff...ended with Peter telling her...'Sorshea (his pronunciation), don't drink plastic bottles, it's a start'.

His pronunciation is correct though for his region.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Others put out exactly that claim in related discussions;

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110267401&postcount=69

I didn't though did I?
    Bot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,364 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Eamon Ryan on RTÉ radio now. If they'd never been in government before you'd say fair enough but they have and recession aside they weren't that bloody good from memory.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Castleknock LEA with 6 seats for 11 candidates

Pembroke LEA with 5 seats for 9 candidates

Either we have too many councilors or not enough candidates.

Something not right about this :/ Might be time for a merger or boundary redrawing next time.

Newbridge has 15 candidates for 6 seats. A brutal battle to win your seat, how it should be

Howth/Malahide LEA has 9 candidates for 7 seats. You'd want to be really unpopular or fcuk up royally not to get elected there.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Eamon Ryan on RTÉ radio now. If they'd never been in government before you'd say fair enough but they have and recession aside they weren't that bloody good from memory.

They did s lot of good work in the 90s, completely rolled over for FF the next time and were ****ed sideways for trinkets after that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Danzy wrote: »
    They did s lot of good work in the 90s, completely rolled over for FF the next time and were ****ed sideways for trinkets after that.

So on the grounds they done good work in the 1990s you feel they may be good now?

So on the grounds they done good work in the 1990s you feel they may be good now?

No.

I agree with large parts of their programme, to varying degrees but parts of the Green Party agenda here and especially across Europe is insane, in no way related to environmental protection.

Well of the three coalition parties of the recent past the greens seem to be not either gone(PDs) or spinning their wheels (like labour) so it shows if you stay as a party there is hope. The rabble on the left didn't get their message right like the water charges did for them.

I personally think labour need to change the top brass and decide where they want to fit in on the left of the political spectrum because they'll never get back to relevance. They've only ever been relaxant as a party to form a government with FF or FG but unlike the U.K. They've never been that big of a force IMO.

I personally think labour need to change the top brass and decide where they want to fit in on the left of the political spectrum because they'll never get back to relevance. They've only ever been relaxant as a party to form a government with FF or FG but unlike the U.K. They've never been that big of a force IMO.

I think, Labour have lost their door and that no changing of Leaders will fix that.

I think, Labour have lost their door and that no changing of Leaders will fix that.

Well if no changing of leaders will fix that issue they might as well keep Brendan howlin there for the foreseeable future then.

De Bert is on the wireless. The lemmas political family tree looks healthy from what's been said on the radio.

• Advertisement

Well if no changing of leaders will fix that issue they might as well keep Brendan howlin there for the foreseeable future then.

They might as well, he remains because there is no alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,024 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The folk who love the planet but convinced everyone that they should be driving diesel cars.

Sinn Fein had four cllrs in the county of Cavan coming into this election and looking at the results in rte they are still barely in the running for one seat in the north of the county. That's a disaster given that Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin is from that area and for years he was the lone SF TD so if that area is not voting for SF there is more issues than just a green wave.

NIMAN wrote: »
    The folk who love the planet but convinced everyone that they should be driving diesel cars.

Oh yeah sure diesel was all the rage for a while but seems to be gone out with the tide of fads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Oh yeah sure diesel was all the rage for a while but seems to be gone out with the tide of fads.

Ireland is responsible for 0.13% of global emissions

Sinn Fein had four cllrs in the county of Cavan coming into this election and looking at the results in rte they are still barely in the running for one seat in the north of the county. That's a disaster given that Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin is from that area and for years he was the lone SF TD so if that area is not voting for SF there is more issues than just a green wave.

Yet in Monaghan they are showing a small increase in their vote and have 4 candidates elected already.

I think the party whose local set-up was the envy of many may have gotten complacent in some places. Questions for Mary Lou for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Aye Greens will bring more taxes in. Its what they are good at

If it helps the environment I'd prefer it to sneaky fees and charges to be squandered on waste.

They had a good young councillor from Cavan town Eugene Greenan elected. There was some big fall out with Shinner HQ, he resigned and was treated very badly. Didn't go down well locally.

There was also a lot of pro life people who were forced out or left the party. They lost too many members and canvassers, many went to Aontu. They had a massive base in Cavan, Sinn Fein HQ and Mary Lou destroyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Both of them thoroughly deserve a hammering, given that one is the government of this state presiding over the housing crisis, and the other has for years been the largest party on Dublin City Council and thus the party with most responsibility for the crisis continuing. This 2015 change to apartment sizes, in particular, turned me against them. While I'd expect the Blueshirts to do that, Sinn Féin exposed themselves as rank hypocrites. As they say, if you want to discredit the opposition put them into power and let them discredit themselves.

Yet Fianna Fail who actually support Fine Gael in their endeavors are up over all. Looking to blame Sinn Fein is great. Let's FF snake back in to keep things warm for FG. Nightmare IMO.

• Advertisement

There wasn't even a green candidate at all standing in Cavan or in many areas Sinn Fein lost seats. SF trying to spin it due to some green wave is nonsense. It was their own incompetence, so many fall outs and people quitting the party.

Advertisement