Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Local Elections 2019

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Sheeps wrote: »
    Would have to disagree. They made a very vocal impact on the campaign for repeal. They've been there to soak up the anger from the housing crisis like a sponge. They've shown their heads up when it matters for people (again, usually over nimby stuff), but they're activists and people see that. They had one of the largest groups of people at the Raise the Roof rally too. I could be wrong, but I would expect them to increase the number of seats they have currently.

Genuinely feel if you asked people about them they would give a nod of the head not rreally aware of who they are or what they stand for.

I'm happy to see growth on the left but feel their identity isn't yet known so people don't engage with votes. Maybe I'm wrong.

Talk that the Greens have polled really well. I just got breaking news regarding exit polls

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Talk that the Greens have polled really well. I just got breaking news regarding exit polls

I saw this tweet:
    Dublin:
    Cuffe (GP) 23
    Fitzgerald (FG) 14
    Andrews (FF) 12
    Daly (I4C) 12
    Boylan (SF) 10
    Gannon (SD) 6
    Durkan (FG) 5
    White (Lab) 5
    Higgins (Ind) 3
    Others 10

Northwest:
    McGuinness (FG) 23
    Carthy (SF) 15
    McHugh (GP) 12
    Flanagan (Ind) 10
    Walsh (FG) 10
    Casey (Ind) 7
    Smith (FF) 6
    Rabbitte (FF) 3
    Hannigan (Lab) 3

Others 34

I’ll try to link in later. It’s from Gavin Reilly though

Local elections:

FF 23 (-2.5)
    FG 23 (-1)
    SF 12 (-3.2)
    Lab 6 (-1.2)
    SolPBP 2 (-0.9)
    Greens 9 (+7.4)
    SD 3 (+3)
    I4C 2 (+2)
    Aontú 1 (+1)
    Renua 0
    Others 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

ddarcy wrote: »
    I saw this tweet:
    Dublin:
    Cuffe (GP) 23
    Fitzgerald (FG) 14
    Andrews (FF) 12
    Daly (I4C) 12
    Boylan (SF) 10
    Gannon (SD) 6
    Durkan (FG) 5
    White (Lab) 5
    Higgins (Ind) 3
    Others 10

Northwest:
    McGuinness (FG) 23
    Carthy (SF) 15
    McHugh (GP) 12
    Flanagan (Ind) 10
    Walsh (FG) 10
    Casey (Ind) 7
    Smith (FF) 6
    Rabbitte (FF) 3
    Hannigan (Lab) 3

Others 34

I’ll try to link in later. It’s from Gavin Reilly though

That was Red C exit poll that was just on the Late Late Show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

Look to be in the hunt for all 3 seats, topping the poll in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

votecounts wrote: »
    That was Red C exit poll that was just on the Late Late Show

Correct it’s the red c poll

votecounts wrote: »
    Look to be in the hunt for all 3 seats, topping the poll in Dublin

I don't see why does nobody remember the last time they got s sniff at power

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like the Greens have finally lost their toxicity they gained after being in government with FF in past.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Yeah but now the issues which based their foundation are finally coming to the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ddarcy wrote: »
    Correct it’s the red c poll

McGuinness is on 25% according to the poll not 23% posted. In the locals SF and Ind vote might be down a bit, Greens again look like having a good election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Interesting to see if SF lose many Dublin local seats, there policies with the left are adding to housing problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

A lot of their voters were in primary school then, at least 3 in my house anyway, and they convinced their parents to stay away from the usual suspects.

are there results for the council elections yet im only seeing euros, or have i misread the ones posted there

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

are there results for the council elections yet im only seeing euros, or have i misread the ones posted there

These are exit polls only, counting starts tomorrow for local elections and the central Europeans will be voting over the weekend, so the results will be announced later

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

A lot of their voters were in primary school then

As someone (long past primary school) not overly impressed with them who gave them a preference this time, choice is limited...very few parties have completely clean hands looking back over the history of the boom and the crash/austerity period that followed.

The Green's bib is far cleaner than FF's anyway (and the public seem to have largely forgiven FF outside the Pale anyway, something that baffles me more than any new turn to the Greens).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

It's quite disheartening to see FF and FG at the top of the local polls again. I really don't know why people keep going back to them. Oh well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

Pedro K wrote: »
    It's quite disheartening to see FF and FG at the top of the local polls again. I really don't know why people keep going back to them. Oh well.

Fine Gael are the only party we should be voting for. I only voted for them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I agree and I've no idea what it will take to break the cycle for someone capable to govern us. Like every scandal in Irish history belongs to either Fianna Fáil or Fine Gael, from turning Denis O'Brien in to a billionare, to Fianna Fáil literally bankrupting the country, yet people view the left wing parties as the crazy ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Simply because they trust no one else with the economy. All the other loons run the very real risk of economic ruin with their looney tune approach and belief in unicorns and the free money tree. Most people that actually have to work for a living see through the fantasy stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I agree and I've no idea what it will take to break the cycle for someone capable to govern us. Like every scandal in Irish history belongs to either Fianna Fáil or Fine Gael, from turning Denis O'Brien in to a billionare, to Fianna Fáil literally bankrupting the country, yet people view the left wing parties as the crazy ones.

I’ll tell you why

Your very paragraph is the reason.

Full of soundbite tin foil nonsense that most sensible people see through.

• Advertisement

I’ll tell you why

Your very paragraph is the reason.

Full of soundbite tin foil nonsense that most sensible people see through.

See through, or ignore? Did we not just have a giant decade long recession?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

See through, or ignore? Did we not just have a giant decade long recession?

Indeed.

So who are you ranting about again sorry?

road_high wrote: »
    Simply because they trust no one else with the economy. All the other loons run the very real risk of economic ruin with their looney tune approach and belief in unicorns and the free money tree. Most people that actually have to work for a living see through the fantasy stuff

Except, the ones who actually ruined the economy were Fianna Fáil, so as much as you want to insinuate that the left wing parties will ruin the country, the only ones with an actual track record of doing so are the established parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

I voted Green today. I didn't think I would because they've p155ed me off more than once in the past. But I looked at the ballot paper, so much of the same-old-same-old and I'd like to see something different. That combined with the recent highlighting of green issues, made the difference. Nothing for FFG from me. I don't want more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Renua are at 0% (no change).

Time to put this dog out of its misery.

Except, the ones who actually ruined the economy were Fianna F, so as much as you want to insinuate that the left wing parties will ruin the country, the only ones with an actual track record of doing so are the established parties.

Only for the reason voters don’t trust them on the economy- if they did they’d have voted in a SF PBP profit dreamteam coalition years ago. The voter conclusion is FG or FF aren’t perfect but the other lot would be far worse...the results speak for themselves on this

storker wrote: »
    I voted Green today. I didn't think I would because they've p155ed me off more than once in the past. But I looked at the ballot paper, so much of the same-old-same-old and I'd like to see something different. That combined with the recent highlighting of green issues, made the difference. Nothing for FFG from me. I don't want more of the same.

What do you think the greens are going to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

True that. But come government formation time most of the left wing parties will quietly steer well clear of any involvement in it.

Months later they will be found loudly and angrily decrying the injustices of any decisions that the government makes and how something should be done / the minister should resign.:rolleyes:

road_high wrote: »
    What do you think the greens are going to do?

Team up with the other green parties in Europe to affect legislation or else highlight environmental issues at a local level.

In a general election I'd be hoping that (this time) they'd be in a position to but a brake on the worst excesses of whoever they might go into coalition with.

But I didn't really vote for them because of what thy might do, I voted for them because I couldn't bring myself to reward FFG's contempt for the citizenry.

• Advertisement

True that. But come government formation time most of the left wing parties will quietly steer well clear of any involvement in it.

Yes, indeed, that is a problem...and I did give PBP a (4th out of 4) preference today, not because I particularly believe in their policies but because someone needs to be in there shouting for the little guy, and FFG never will, no matter what they say about "the people who get up early".

If PBP bottle it again with a hung Dail though, they'll have had their last vote from me.

Advertisement