Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Building a House 2019

Options
  • 08-05-2019 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just investigating building my house again nearly 10 years after I got planning anyway doing a bit of research and talking to a couple of people down here on Cork including one Architect who said that he is getting back quotes of around €175 sqr/foot...and that is a standard design house builders finish.

For a house of around 2500sqr ft house you could be touching €450k for a builders finish, add another 100k to fit out a kitchen tiling etc thats well over 500k for a standard 4 bed detached.

Is this the reality at the moment out there?, with these numbers there is no financial sense in building a house these days. Talking to estate agents also the market below 400k is buoyant but anything over is slow to sell (in Cork) so there is good value to be had in buying in the €400k+ range.

I know the decision in building your own house sometimes is more than financial but these numbers seem a bit out of control at the moment.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭893bet

Have you renewed your planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

893bet wrote: »
    Have you renewed your planning?

yeah, I renewed it 4 years ago, I have until next August 2020 to have it substantially completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭vinnie_cork

2500sq ft is more than your standard 4 bed. There are a few factors pushing up costs, building regs changes. The European Energy Performance of Buildings Directive Recast 2010 (EPBD) requires all new buildings to be nearly Zero Energy Buildings (nZEB) by 31st December 2020 so after this date costs will be even greater.
    10 years ago you would have built a C3 rated house maybe even D and not thought about it. It would have no PV panals and probably heated with Gas or oil. Now you need to hit A3 and about to be A1 required so new technology, advanced Heat pumps and PV use, mechanical ventilation etc.

If you apply for an extension to planning now you will be required to comply with new conditions. I used do planning and house design years ago and I never understood the clients whom wanted 3000sq ft all ensuite mansions when all they could afford was a very decent 1800 sq ft design fully finished. My own sister and her husband insisted on 2,700 and while the house was built and finished in 2013 the driveway remains a dirt track that you would get stuck in visiting them. and low and behold they never use their 2nd living room.

I have heard current rates are €150 to €200 per sq ft. This will go up (assuming there is not another crash) after nZEB comes into force.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Hi all,

1. including one Architect who said that he is getting back quotes of around.. €175 sqr/foot.. and that is a standard design house builders finish.

2. Is this the reality at the moment out there?,
    3. with these numbers there is no financial sense in building a house these days.
    4. Talking to estate agents also the market below 400k is buoyant
    5. but anything over is slow to sell (in Cork) so there is good value to be had in buying in the €400k+ range.
    6. I know the decision in building your own house sometimes is more than financial but these numbers seem a bit out of control at the moment.
    1. Turn key can be achieved for 175/soft standard finish. I don’t believe that rate is for a builder finish.
    2. Yes
    3. That’s life
    4. Don’t talk to them
    5. Slow, yes. Value has nothing to do with it -in cork city any sought after area, a 4 bed is that money.
    6. Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I hope this isn't a silly question...it probably is but here goes.

I have just got full planning for my house but since the papers have been sent, I'm thinking that it is too big, do you have to build to the size in your architect drawing ... I wouldn't be changing the house type/layout ... just the size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Moustie

I'm currently looking at buying a site ,cost €60.000 , and I will have around 160.000 to spend... how far that would get me ..

Very rough but see link. Factor in heat pumps and PV Panals now as you have to hit A3 and if house is finished after 2020 then add in heat recovery and all the other energy measures.
    Site complexity- piling, raft foundations, excavation, difficult access. Etc.

[snip]

And regarding chasing size, yes, it’s new planning. If house looks same style but shrinks 1m all over in dimensions it’s a different house. If it stays same and moved on site as you build it you need a new planning too.
    Your contributions fees to the authority was calculated on €/perm2 in Cork City it is €70-80 per m2 for council fees.
    I used advice clients to allow for future easy expansion if budget was tight, layout to add 40m2 to rear in few yrs time. 40m2 to rear is exempt (once it hits the other criteria).
    People need to stress to their designers their build budgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Moustie wrote: »
    I'm currently looking at buying a site ,cost €60.000 , and I will have around 160.000 to spend... how far that would get me ..

After solicitor fees, land registry fees, architect, planning fees, newspaper notice, site percolation test, structural fees, possible environmental, traffic or flooding reports, development contribution fees, detail drawings, tender report, Irish water connection, ESB poles, access road into site, clearing Japanese knotweed, etc.
    You might have enough for foundations and a floor slab.

To be honest it completely depends on the site. Way to many variables to say. If the site is flat, clear, has planning, all services and good ground conditions it will go a lot further.

Dudda wrote: »
    After solicitor fees, land registry fees, architect, planning fees, newspaper notice, site percolation test, structural fees, possible environmental, traffic or flooding reports, development contribution fees, detail drawings, tender report, Irish water connection, ESB poles, access road into site, clearing Japanese knotweed, etc.
    Walk away if knotweed, takes 2/3 years of treatment to rid and then could comeback at any time, can remain dormant for 20 years.
    Solicitor €1500
    Land registery maybe €200
    Architect/engineer €1500-2500 for your house budget
    Planning application €65
    Newspaper €50-300 (some authorities state national papers only)
    Site percolation €750
    Structural/engineer fees €1000 min
    Other reports €1000 each, but if flood report needed stop looking at site as only needed in flood risk areas.
    Development contributions in Cork is 70-80pm2 so a 100m2 house is €8000 Levy (1075ft2 house)
    Your budget forget detail drawings and tender reports you can’t afford a project manager you are self build and your managing everything. Or drop another €10,000 min
    Irish waster €1000 and you have to pay for work and manholes or a well ... €3-5k and treatment tank €3
    ESB charge €1700 connection min outside poles, it all adds up and that’s before you start building... a heat pump is now a building reg for green energy and that’s €10,000 or regular boiler and cover roof in PV panels €10,000....

I hope this isn't a silly question...it probably is but here goes.

I have just got full planning for my house but since the papers have been sent, I'm thinking that it is too big, do you have to build to the size in your architect drawing ... I wouldn't be changing the house type/layout ... just the size.

Speak to your agent. From info provided a new planning application will be required.

• Advertisement

Very rough but see link. Factor in heat pumps and PV Panals now as you have to hit A3 and if house is finished after 2020 then add in heat recovery and all the other energy measures.
    Site complexity- piling, raft foundations, excavation, difficult access. Etc.

[snip]

And regarding chasing size, yes, it’s new planning. If house looks same style but shrinks 1m all over in dimensions it’s a different house. If it stays same and moved on site as you build it you need a new planning too.
    Your contributions fees to the authority was calculated on €/perm2 in Cork City it is €70-80 per m2 for council fees.
    I used advice clients to allow for future easy expansion if budget was tight, layout to add 40m2 to rear in few yrs time. 40m2 to rear is exempt (once it hits the other criteria).
    People need to stress to their designers their build budgets.

I told my architect my budget but he returned with a house of 2600 sq.ft. I havn't yet priced the build but people are putting the fear of God telling me it is a massive house. I will be paying all the costs below from savings and the build is specifically from the mortgage. In my naivety I just went with it.

I told my architect my budget but he returned with a house of 2600 sq.ft. I havn't yet priced the build but people are putting the fear of God telling me it is a massive house. I will be paying all the costs below from savings and the build is specifically from the mortgage. In my naivety I just went with it.

Look, it all depends on location, cost of building (after site cost) varies greatly from Dublin to Kerry. Supply and demand on trades etc.
    Is phasing anything an option? Like omitting dormer rooms and not alter design and allows for working on after. Your probably going to have to spec down your finishes. If there is more than 1 en-suite bedroom can you live with just one considering you will have a main bathroom and probably a Wc anyhow, might be €5k saving by time all elements add up for an en-suite.

Look, it all depends on location, cost of building (after site cost) varies greatly from Dublin to Kerry. Supply and demand on trades etc.
    Is phasing anything an option? Like omitting dormer rooms and not alter design and allows for working on after. Your probably going to have to spec down your finishes. If there is more than 1 en-suite bedroom can you live with just one considering you will have a main bathroom and probably a Wc anyhow, might be €5k saving by time all elements add up for an en-suite.

I'm in the west so architect based it on €105 sq.ft - I took him at his word. Have saved money on site as it's on family land. No dormer rooms. I can definitely manage with one main bathroom.

Moustie wrote: »

Site should be bought ‘subject to planning’

As part of planning process I’d recommend you get a +/-20% ‘order of magnitude’ costing.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭username2013

Are all the prices listed in the thread based on the traditional block build method - ie - cavity wall insulation etc? If so are there any alternatives that are feasible in Ireland with our damp climate?

Two main problems I see with house builds in Ireland are:
    a) very slow to build
    b) heating in houses here is terrible. Even newish houses with good energy ratings I think are quite poor. Warm if the heating is on, but if not they seem to lose heat very quickly.

Surely there are new technologies/techniques that are available now that can mitigate these problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I'm in the west so architect based it on €105 sq.ft - I took him at his word. Have saved money on site as it's on family land. No dormer rooms. I can definitely manage with one main bathroom.

In the West my brother is paying 150e per sq ft ex vat for a build.

1. Are all the prices listed in the thread based on the traditional block build method - ie - cavity wall insulation etc?
    2. If so are there any alternatives that are feasible in Ireland with our damp climate?

3. Two main problems I see with house builds in Ireland are:
    a) very slow to build
    b) heating in houses here is terrible.
    4. Even newish houses with good energy ratings I think are quite poor.
    5. Warm if the heating is on, but if not they seem to lose heat very quickly.

6. Surely there are new technologies/techniques that are available now that can mitigate these problems?
    1. Cavity wall insulation is arguably the cheapest option in Ireland primarily because it’s the most common
    2. Yes
    3. What experience do have in this area?
    A. Disagree
    B. Thats a Massive generalization. Depends how well the house is built. And how well the heating system is sized
    4. As per 3.
    5. Lack of air-tightness and dry-lining are generally the causes of this.
    6. Yes. Read around the forum. Use the keywords in point 5.

Air tightness is key for warmth, then add mechanical ventilation, tie in heat pump and underfloor heating.

And €105 per ft2 sounds a little low, even if ex vat. But, unless you get a quote, maybe your architect made it a very simple structure with no awkward details and no large steel supports required and standard block work dimensions (ie. walls in multiple of 450mm lengths to minimise material waste).

I was talking to a Kerry builder 2 weeks ago for feelers on my budget and he said it’s all down to the bill of quantities but a crude cost is his area works out €1500/m2 or €138/ft2 for builders finish.

I’m about to start a renovation project to an existing house and worrying my €110 p/ft2 budget is low as I want to use new energy technologies and achieve A3 status from G. And with that services are there and connected and building structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭username2013

BryanF wrote: »
    1. Cavity wall insulation is arguably the cheapest option in Ireland primarily because it’s the most common
    2. Yes
    3. What experience do have in this area?
    A. Disagree
    B. Thats a Massive generalization. Depends how well the house is built. And how well the heating system is sized
    4. As per 3.
    5. Lack of air-tightness and dry-lining are generally the causes of this.
    6. Yes. Read around the forum. Use the keywords in point 5.

As regards experience I have worked in construction here in Ireland and the US and Canada and from what I have seen the timber framed houses used there are much quicker to build and are much warmer. This may be due to better heating systems installed, I'm not really sure. In my experience heating bills there are not much than here though, probably a bit less in fact.

You're right in regards to my observation been a massive generalization, but this was based on living in a large numbers of houses, in fairness a lot of these are probably older builds. House I have just moved into though was built in 2006 and had a BER rating of b+. I thought this would mean that it retained heat fairly well but we find it very cold unless heat is on. It is dry lined. Perhaps I don't understand everything in relation to how this rating is made. Anyways my observations were mainly due to me been a consumer of various builds (i.e - a renter) in various countries.

I have no doubt you're right in stating that "Cavity wall insulation is arguably the cheapest option" but that does not necessarily make it the best and most economical over time. Hence my question regarding alternatives.

Air tightness is key for warmth, then add mechanical ventilation, tie in heat pump and underfloor heating.

And €105 per ft2 sounds a little low, even if ex vat. But, unless you get a quote, maybe your architect made it a very simple structure with no awkward details and no large steel supports required and standard block work dimensions (ie. walls in multiple of 450mm lengths to minimise material waste).

I was talking to a Kerry builder 2 weeks ago for feelers on my budget and he said it’s all down to the bill of quantities but a crude cost is his area works out €1500/m2 or €138/ft2 for builders finish.

I’m about to start a renovation project to an existing house and worrying my €110 p/ft2 budget is low as I want to use new energy technologies and achieve A3 status from G. And with that services are there and connected and building structure.

What he did exactly. Simple plan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

In the middle of a build.

Yea its quite unbelievable all the things/roles/money that go into a build.

The amount of money is unbelievable.

Its currently impossible to get builders/trades on site.

This is not a regulated game (I dont mean materials or building standards, I mean youve no recourse as to how slow they go/off on other sites). And it is a game.

If you want to play a game of "will the builder show up today/answer my unanswered calls", off you go.

If you are not dead set on building, I wouldnt.

(Edit: You can probably tell am thick at/fed up with my builder!)

dellas1979 wrote: »
    In the middle of a build.

Yea its quite unbelievable all the things/roles/money that go into a build.

The amount of money is unbelievable.

Its currently impossible to get builders/trades on site.

This is not a regulated game (I dont mean materials or building standards, I mean youve no recourse as to how slow they go/off on other sites). And it is a game.

If you want to play a game of "will the builder show up today/answer my unanswered calls", off you go.

If you are not dead set on building, I wouldnt.

(Edit: You can probably tell am thick at/fed up with my builder!)

You have to give us more info? ;)

Are you doing it direct labor and what build method are you using (traditional block or timber frame etc) and more importantly what do you expect it to cost you per sqr/ft or sqr/m in the end up.

I'm planning to go away from traditional block build and either closed panel timer frame or SIPs, that way all the walls roof etc are done in factory so you are not relying on a block layer not turning up. Also planning to have cement board cladding again doing away of block layers. Might cost a bit extra(although I hear blockies are charging nearly €3 a block these days!) but you will save time and more importantly your nerves:rolleyes:

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    I'm planning to :

Are you planning to have a main contractor, turn key? What are your prices coming in at?

Are you planning to have a main contractor, turn key? What are your prices coming in at?

Early stages yet getting rough budget prices, but aim yes have a main contractor and to be as finished and turn key as possible, but that might depend on the budget. What I budgeting is to around €150sqr ft but could stretch to is €170sqr ft for turn key...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Ok I have bought a house on a few acres. I am not tearing it down completely, it is an old home 1900 or so. What I would like to do is build around the original. It is based in the west of Ireland and has all the services already in place... I do not want a huge house..something around 1500 sq feet... I know it is "how long is a piece of string" but should 150,000 get me there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

I have been onto the build cost estimator online and it's telling me 240-260 k for a 2200 sq foot house, but I'm now seeing that build costs are shooting up which worries me !

how much would you save if you just did kitchen/living and bedroom to complete Finnish and then done the rest yourself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Build house in north Wexford 2011. 2450sq feet.
    Block Walls
    150mm cavity pumped and 50mm insulated slab.
    2 banks of tube solar panels
    Ufh downstairs, rads upstairs oil condenser burner
    Breton slab
    Pvc double glazed. Palladio doors front and back.
    Own well and biocyle unit.
    €6000 paid to council.
    €10000 for kitchen.
    All tiling, sanitary ware, furniture, painting, stove, electrical items for kitchen and entertainment and carpets/laminate floors.
    Did it direct labour so it involves trusting people especially as I'm no expert. From opening site (no cost) to moving in €214000.

NSAman wrote: »
    Ok I have bought a house on a few acres. I am not tearing it down completely, it is an old home 1900 or so. What I would like to do is build around the original. It is based in the west of Ireland and has all the services already in place... I do not want a huge house..something around 1500 sq feet... I know it is "how long is a piece of string" but should 150,000 get me there?
    You haven’t given enough info
    fergus1001 wrote: »
    I have been onto the build cost estimator online and it's telling me 240-260 k for a 2200 sq foot house, but I'm now seeing that build costs are shooting up which worries me !

how much would you save if you just did kitchen/living and bedroom to complete Finnish and then done the rest yourself ?
    Assuming mortgage, the bank will want the place finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

You haven’t given enough info

Assuming mortgage, the bank will want the place finished.

House itself is currently around 800 sq feet.

Addition would include bedrooms and a kitchen built outside the foot print of the main house. House would be knocked completely inside to create an open plan area.so addition would be around 700 sq ft.

Electricity on site already, water already on site, septic was upgraded about 7 years ago.

Obviously the old house will have to be insulated, the roof is newer.Windows will have to be completely changed and modified.and front of house will be removed to create large open view to sea.

Anything I am missing?.. sorry this is the initial starting point for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭893bet

Build house in north Wexford 2011. 2450sq feet.
    Block Walls
    150mm cavity pumped and 50mm insulated slab.
    2 banks of tube solar panels
    Ufh downstairs, rads upstairs oil condenser burner
    Breton slab
    Pvc double glazed. Palladio doors front and back.
    Own well and biocyle unit.
    €6000 paid to council.
    €10000 for kitchen.
    All tiling, sanitary ware, furniture, painting, stove, electrical items for kitchen and entertainment and carpets/laminate floors.
    Did it direct labour so it involves trusting people especially as I'm no expert. From opening site (no cost) to moving in €214000.

8 years in the middle of a huge building collapse.

Price is of zero relevance today.

I also built around then. My friend recently engaged the same Blocklayer and his rate is close to doubled since 2012.

Advertisement