Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Building a House 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

That's excellent, so it can be done. I was hammered for implying that some prices were off the wall. Best of luck in your new house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

As a final note - If you have a full time job it will put a strain on Family and Work life it will take over your life :o

This is the key sentence:P if you want to get it done at this price.... but I suppose it can be done.

Update on my story I have engaged a QS to do a budget price for me and compare a few build options. Eg Timber Frame Vs SIPs Vs traditional block built. I am planning to go with the full builder as I dont have the time and I want to be in as quick as possible. renting for year can cost you 16k+ here in cork. Thats a lot of kitchen for that money.

I will get back in the next week or two with my estimate

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flintash

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Update on my story I have engaged a QS to do a budget price for me and compare a few build options.
    can you pm your QS details and how much he's/she's charging. I assume you based in Cork.Thanks

flintash wrote: »
    Update on my story I have engaged a QS to do a budget price for me and compare a few build options.
    can you pm your QS details and how much he's/she's charging. I assume you based in Cork.Thanks

PM sent...I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I'm wondering if anyone can validate my thoughts on cost of getting a site prepared and applying for planning permission?

For the following:

Survey of site
    Proposed dwelling drawings done up by engineer/architect
    Site assessment/effluent treatment report
    Soakage testing + report
    Planning drawings for drainage, elevations, etc...
    And the actual planning permission submission

I have budgeted around 6000 euros. Is this reasonable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

I'm wondering if anyone can validate my thoughts on cost of getting a site prepared and applying for planning permission?
    I have budgeted around 6000 euros. Is this reasonable?

I think so yes.
    For our house, design process started last year and planning end of last year with no issues and no changes needed to be made costs were(I imagine if any change needed etc possible more cost, also I rounded up all my prices to cover you a bit):
    Planning stage:
    Architect (Stages 1 and 2)incl planning: €4200
    Percolation Engineer(tests and drawings): €1500
    Digger for percolation €150

Total: €6000 (rounded up)
    Optional Quantity Surveyor: €800
    To Tender:
    BER: €500
    Structural Engineer: €800
    Architect Design for Tender(stage 3): €4000

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭vinnie_cork

Update on my story I have engaged a QS to do a budget price for me and compare a few build options. Eg Timber Frame Vs SIPs Vs traditional block built. I am planning to go with the full builder as I dont have the time and I want to be in as quick as possible.

Also can you pm your QS details and how much he's/she's charging. I assume you based in Cork.Thanks, Im city based.

Also can you pm your QS details and how much he's/she's charging. I assume you based in Cork.Thanks, Im city based.

PM Sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kyler_87

Hi all,

80% through our self build in Cork, 30 mins from city. 1950sqft bungalow,rectangular. 1 main bathroom, 1 ensuite. 450 sqft kitchen and dining area with vaulted ceiling. South facing rear, with fair bit of glazing. Costs below , broken out by fees and build costs. A3 rating minimum.

Fees
    Planning and Design 2500
    Percolation and Site Suitablity 950
    Cork CC Dues 3500
    Construction Supevision | Engineer 7500
    QS 800
    PSDP 1300
    BER Design & Assessment 1000
    Solicitor | Land Transfter & Mortgage 1800
    Stamp duty 6000
    ESB Connection 2600
    Total 28K

Basic House
    Builder's payment 209000
    Heating 15200
    Windows 15750
    Fencing 3045
    Water (Incl Steeltech Shed) 10000
    Plumbing (not ware) 4000
    MHVR System 4700

Total 262K

Finishes
    Bathroom Ware 4000
    Flooring & Tiles 6000
    Appliances 5820
    Kitchen & Utility 21000
    Painting ??
    Furniture??
    Light fittings??
    Flue/Stoves 5130
    Blinds/Curtains ??
    Site Levelling 4250

Total Estimated 60K

Overall:
    28K fees
    262K - shell of house with running water, heat and electricity
    ~322K relatively turn-key build cost + 28K fees = 350K

Notes:
    Main contractor did groundwork, foundations, blockwork, roof, internal plastering, sewage (biocycle unit and raised bed perc) and electrics, internal carpentry.

A2W heating system installed. Ashgrove in Kanturk.

Just said I'd share some real world costs.
    Any questions, just shout.

Kyler

Thanks for the detailed breakdown

To summarize we are looking at builders finish of €134/Sqr ft

Turn Key €165/sqr foot

Everything included from concept to turn Key €180/ sqr ft

Out curiosity where do you think you could have saved money?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Kyler

Turn Key €165/sqr foot

His is looking similar to yours at 180 sq. ft.
    I would class this as within the average.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks, Is it inclusive of plot size?
    Kyler

Turn Key €165/sqr foot

Kyler

Turn Key €165/sqr foot

Possibly doing storey and a half....

Definitely the vaulted ceiling....Load bearing wall swallowed an amount of blocks and also made roof design more intricate. Just adds cost but it is really nice and we are delighted with it.

Other than that it was purposefully a very economically designed house, any tradesman/engineer who saw it commented on it. Keep it simple is the motto.

Oh....and the kitchen, but we will have a quality kitchen which should last a lifetime....hopefully!

Thanks, Is it inclusive of plot size?

Not sure if directed at me but exclusive of plot

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭moldy_sea

kyler_87 wrote: »
    Hi all,

80% through our self build in Cork, 30 mins from city. 1950sqft bungalow,rectangular. 1 main bathroom, 1 ensuite. 450 sqft kitchen and dining area with vaulted ceiling. South facing rear, with fair bit of glazing. Costs below , broken out by fees and build costs. A3 rating minimum.

Fees
    Planning and Design 2500
    Percolation and Site Suitablity 950
    Cork CC Dues 3500
    Construction Supevision | Engineer 7500
    QS 800
    PSDP 1300
    BER Design & Assessment 1000
    Solicitor | Land Transfter & Mortgage 1800
    Stamp duty 6000
    ESB Connection 2600
    Total 28K

Basic House
    Builder's payment 209000
    Heating 15200
    Windows 15750
    Fencing 3045
    Water (Incl Steeltech Shed) 10000
    Plumbing (not ware) 4000
    MHVR System 4700

Total 262K

Finishes
    Bathroom Ware 4000
    Flooring & Tiles 6000
    Appliances 5820
    Kitchen & Utility 21000
    Painting ??
    Furniture??
    Light fittings??
    Flue/Stoves 5130
    Blinds/Curtains ??
    Site Levelling 4250

Total Estimated 60K

Overall:
    28K fees
    262K - shell of house with running water, heat and electricity
    ~322K relatively turn-key build cost + 28K fees = 350K

Notes:
    Main contractor did groundwork, foundations, blockwork, roof, internal plastering, sewage (biocycle unit and raised bed perc) and electrics, internal carpentry.

A2W heating system installed. Ashgrove in Kanturk.

Just said I'd share some real world costs.
    Any questions, just shout.

Do all those numbers include VAT?

moldy_sea wrote: »
    Do all those numbers include VAT?

Yes, a bit of cash may have changed hands for some of the minor things, nothing mad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Dromardabu

PM sent...I think!

Hey Eco_Mental
    Could you PM me the details too and the costs for comparison purposes.
    Cheers

Dromardabu wrote: »
    Hey Eco_Mental
    Could you PM me the details too and the costs for comparison purposes.
    Cheers

Would appreciate same please

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

This is the key sentence:P if you want to get it done at this price.... but I suppose it can be done.

Update on my story I have engaged a QS to do a budget price for me and compare a few build options. Eg Timber Frame Vs SIPs Vs traditional block built. I am planning to go with the full builder as I dont have the time and I want to be in as quick as possible. renting for year can cost you 16k+ here in cork. Thats a lot of kitchen for that money.

I will get back in the next week or two with my estimate

Can you PM those details to?

Dolbhad wrote: »
    Can you PM those details to?

PM sent...if these lads werent busy two weeks ago they must be by now...:P

• Advertisement

Been on a bit of an emotional roller coaster over the last few weeks, from my last few posts I engaged a QS to do up a budget costs of a number of build options. My preferred build was SIPs and with a company that did a self build package that included cement board cladding, windows and internal plaster board. Well anyway my QS came back with a quote of €212 sqr/ft.....:eek::eek::eek:

Now a few caveats!!! this was a move in with your luggage finish with flooring, painting, driveway done, electric gates, stove PC sums for fitting out the hot press etc It was very detailed fair play and when I went through it, yeah it all stacked up. Now with the size of my house :o:o this was a significant sum to the stage where the dream was over.

Anyway he just came back yesterday with the comparison between traditional block built vs "traditional" timber frame also and there was a big difference

Block Built €160 sqr/ft (inc VAT)
    Timber Frame €186 sqr/ft (inc VAT)

These prices include in summary
    Fully finished house including
    • Underfloor heating
    • ASHP
    • MHRV
    • Double Glazed UPC windows
    • patio and footpaths driveway and entrance

Only thing it excludes are professional fees and planning fees and kitchen appliances. Well worth going to the QS because I now have full exposure to all costs associated with building. I can now see where I can save money, do I really need electric gates!! but this was a wish list as I hate seeing houses built and the driveway not done for years.

So the dream is still alive, going with the auld traditional block built (200mm cavity)

Thanks for sharing that, very much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Has anyone any experience of building a timber frame house?

Does it save much in costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience of building a timber frame house?

Does it save much in costs?
    if you look two posts up. the poster has a cost for brick v timber..

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

Been on a bit of an emotional roller coaster over the last few weeks, from my last few posts I engaged a QS to do up a budget costs of a number of build options. My preferred build was SIPs and with a company that did a self build package that included cement board cladding, windows and internal plaster board. Well anyway my QS came back with a quote of €212 sqr/ft.....:eek::eek::eek:

Now a few caveats!!! this was a move in with your luggage finish with flooring, painting, driveway done, electric gates, stove PC sums for fitting out the hot press etc It was very detailed fair play and when I went through it, yeah it all stacked up. Now with the size of my house :o:o this was a significant sum to the stage where the dream was over.

Anyway he just came back yesterday with the comparison between traditional block built vs "traditional" timber frame also and there was a big difference

• Underfloor heating
    • ASHP
    • MHRV

Only thing it excludes are professional fees and planning fees and kitchen appliances. Well worth going to the QS because I now have full exposure to all costs associated with building. I can now see where I can save money, do I really need electric gates!! but this was a wish list as I hate seeing houses built and the driveway not done for years.

So the dream is still alive, going with the auld traditional block built (200mm cavity)

How did the quality of the two builds compare?
    U values, Air tightness Etc?

I always see timber frame being touted as a better quality house that can be built faster.

12 element wrote: »
    How did the quality of the two builds compare?
    U values, Air tightness Etc?

I always see timber frame being touted as a better quality house that can be built faster.

In the budget costs there was about 5 grand for tightness, U -values about the same with the 200mm cavity in the block built. Yes a timber frame can be built faster that is one of the advantages but the cost difference didn't justify it for me.

I like timber frame but not that much....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Has anyone ever investigated the savings in building more than one house?

i.e. if one 2500 sq.ft. house is costing €200 per sq.ft. how much would building four similar houses cost?

Could you expect to build the four houses for €150 per sq.ft.?

Assuming the houses are on adjacent sites and built to the same spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AquaMountain

• Underfloor heating
    • ASHP
    • MHRV

Some great info there and in previous posts by other users throughout this thread. Would you mind PMing me your QS details, costs, etc please? We are in the planning application stage at tge moment so I'd like to get going with drawing up the detailed spec list. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Ok, we're (well I am at least) in a bit of a conundrum with regards building Vs buying. We're looking at buying a house at the moment, but there's a lot of niggly things coming up and its making me a bit nervous.

I've always wanted to build, and always thought I would, so I've it back in my head to build rather than buy. But I don't know where to begin to start investigating whether we can in fact actually afford to build the type of house we want. From following this thread I think we're just about in the right parish, but I need to find out one way or the other before it drives me around the twist! So, where do we start? Do we go to an architect, or a QS? For a QS, how much information would we need for them? We know what we need from a house, and know the size we would like, but don't have any detailed drawings, although we do have a fair idea of layouts. How much would this type of consultation cost?

• Advertisement

scarepanda wrote: »
    Ok, we're (well I am at least) in a bit of a conundrum with regards building Vs buying. We're looking at buying a house at the moment, but there's a lot of niggly things coming up and its making me a bit nervous.

I've always wanted to build, and always thought I would, so I've it back in my head to build rather than buy. But I don't know where to begin to start investigating whether we can in fact actually afford to build the type of house we want. From following this thread I think we're just about in the right parish, but I need to find out one way or the other before it drives me around the twist! So, where do we start? Do we go to an architect, or a QS? For a QS, how much information would we need for them? We know what we need from a house, and know the size we would like, but don't have any detailed drawings, although we do have a fair idea of layouts. How much would this type of consultation cost?

1) First things first is if €170 sqft doesn't scare you off then proceed t step 2

2) Then you must add the site price....do have this other wise you could be adding another 100-200k if not more depending on location to buy a site. Getting a site that you can build on is another issue as Local Authorities are clamping down on One offs and some areas are designated as green areas etc If you are still not scared off then proceed to stage 3

3) Think about getting an Architect, if you are going to spend a couple of hundred thousand euros then 4-5 grand to get you house designed is well worth the money. Some people only want 4 walls and a roof but hey...He will put a planning application for you.

4) Get planing permission (not easy:rolleyes: is most cases) spend €5-20k on planning contributions if you proceed to building

5) spend another €10-15k on more professional fees to do up detailed drawings and a tender package and go for tender.

6) Build your house

In most cases these days you will buy a house a lot cheaper then building a house, but for some people its more than that its building the dream.

Dont know much about direct labour:confused: you hear on here people building houses for for peanuts but when you delve down into it they have cousins and inlaws doing the wiring they dug out the foundations themselves etc etc, and they spent 2+ years at it....

Advertisement